Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
Is "baiscs" intentional, because if it is i missed the joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

AndroidHub posted:

Nope, I'm just bad, didn't even mean to use that, put it in the field days ago and forgot it was there

It's a slap in the face tbqh

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

Literally Kermit posted:

It's the name we came up with after Tikal took off for the coast or whatever. My other suggestion was "Goons without Frontiers" only in french but because I don't speak French good, I also suggest "Jeux Sans Frontières" after the true hero of this thread, Peter "P-Gabz" Gabriel.

Diamond Frogs is good and I think making up a thousand funny patches for squads would also be fun and good.

In conclusion goddamnit frank.club i lost gryphglyph to this game IM NOT LOSING YOU TOO *picks u up, slowcrawls u the rest of the way to Mt Doom*

I like Diamond Frogs but i'm having a hell of a time finding an amphibian-based spin on Outer Heaven/Mother Base

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

Bloody Wanker posted:

Faces! yay!

stolen from reddit: (avatar editor)

For some reason i absolutely cannot put my finger on, no matter the ethnicity here, they all look absolutely british.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

Adult Sword Owner posted:

If I preorder I get a Viper with an extra medium point that's a tad bit slower right?

pls give

Same hardpoints, better internal slots i think he said. also a :rice: spoiler

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

AndroidHub posted:

Also I suspect (they didn't say explicitly) multicrew is going to be locked behind horizons, but it would be very cool/smart of them to make it so that only the person who owns the ship needs horizons, and people can join their crew and come along for the ride to "try out" things like multicrew and p-landing. I don't expect it to be this way, but it would be cool if it happened nonetheless.

The divide of features is really hard to guess at, mostly because besides planetary landing they haven't said(or at least I haven't seen them say) explicitly that any specific feature they talked about will be exclusive to horizons owners. You would think things like ship-launched fighters, commander customization, etc would be general updates, but it's also easy to imagine how they could make them exclusive. Also, like the livestream, the community post just sorta lumps evertyhing together (including things we know they have said will be for everyone, such as crafting) then it goes out of the way to put the viper mk4 in a seperate section saying it will be available to everyone.

I really wish they would just come out and list what will and won't be pay-for content.

(Also does anyone else keep typing it as "horizonz" then fixing it immediately? :sweatdrop:)

Frontier are pretty bad at getting the concept of "giving you a taste", i think. There's no non-cash paintjobs when any company thinking for even half a second would have put a couple in there as stock, had a couple more for ingame cash, but kept the actual interesting/fancy ones as cash shop. As it is right now you have no reason to even mess with the concept of painting your boat unless you've already bought a paintjob.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Terrain following radar display like the landing pad display, crashed ships, and classical "ladder" HUD, nice.

For reasons i can't explain at all, seeing the ladder hud made me really excited.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

There's already better procgen in the game, I mean there's no real reason for them to do anything but a single-pass perlin heightmap on this clearly prototype asteroid. This is the only place that's been in screenshots, this is all there is right now, it's not all there's ever gonna be.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

Dante80 posted:

Yes, and no. The paramount focus of UI is for it to be as intuitive and functional as possible. Making a good or even passable design is not easy in a game like this. And replicating the intended gameplay output across many different designs is borderline impossible.

What FDEV could and should do, is to provide "flair" and customization to the existing design. From different default per manufacturer hue and color combinations to customized audio and graphics/symbols. Geometry changes though...can be a bitch.

I hope this happens, with what they've said they have to do to the HUD to make colourizing it work properly it's just a hop away from that, really. I wish they'd hurry up and stop kicking the UI rebuild down the list though i can definitely understand it's gonna be perma-low priority.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

holy gently caress i suck at CQC

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

OK, this is where I am at.
X52 Pro, I plug it in and my mouse cursor goes to the bottom of the screen, with or with the Saitek software open, so at that point I can't do anything.
If I unplug the joystick I get a beeping sound, like a PC system beep, over and over, nothing is clickable and I have to press reset on the PC to get back to Windows.
Windows 10, all latest drivers, it;s doing my head in because I can't play, any ideas?

I can't help you fix it but i can let you know it was going this for me too with win10 and an X-55, so you're not going bonkers and your PC is probably not hosed. It's like unplugging it completely fucks up the whole USB stack or something. It wasn't constant beeping for me, just when i moved the mouse. everything else worked which is i think because they're plugged into separate USB header things on the motherboard. I was gonna try the stick through a hub and see if that helped but i had to get on a plane instead.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

^^^^ picture worth 1000 words

LCL-Dead posted:

I just want to be able to walk around in the ships.

Looking at the models you can tell there's a lot of future features the dev's designed into the ships themselves, like the second seat below the pilot seat in the Asp or the multi-level cockpit of the T9, or that little viewing area at the nose of the Anaconda, etc.

I wonder how they're going to push the transition from ship to SRV in horizons. If it will be a little mini-cinematic that will have you force walked through the interior of your ship to the SRV or if you'll just blink and appear behind the controls when you go to drop it onto the surface.

It'll be the latter i suspect because although they're all planned out (i think, paging Bloody Wanker), they're not actually in the model yet because that'd be a waste of performance right now. I'm expecting a black screen with a spinny orange SRV on it. Eventually you'll have to get up and go get in it though :D

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

Bedshaped posted:

Anti-gravity doesn't exist in the Elite universe. So they'll either have to fudge it like when they invented supercruise and hyperspace for their multiplayer universe or else they are going to have a big challenge ahead of them for moving around in ships.

Similarly to how they're doing planetary landings, I would bet we'll see walking around on spinning stations first, in order to lay the foundation for a more complex feature later on.

*cambridge accented computer voice* MAGNET BOOTS OFF

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

RubberJohnny posted:

Wow that stream of the expansion didn't generate a single comment in here then?

It looks pretty boring tbh, and even more content/variety starved than the base game.

vOv there wasn't really much to add after last weeks really, it was more of a supplemental like, "oh yeah you have a gun and it works and here's one of the smaller scenarios." wrecks looked really good and it definitely helps with the sense of scale. First thing i'm going to do is find the smallest planetoid i can and see if i can get the SRV into a stable orbit via boosters and rampin' it. Definitely interested to see the ground-based starports.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Alright now explain why empty additional fuel tanks (when empty) make your ship use less fuel per jump, or why enemy wings can have 6 or even 8 in a wing. Or why Kill Warrant Scanners can have, and I quote, "real time communication" with various police agencies across the galaxy but not use this for anything else that would benefit from galactic-scale real time communication. :colbert:

I'm nitpicking you see :ssh:

Nitpick maybe but i'm a fellow picker cause this stuff drives me mental when I spot it. As for autopilots etc. I've wondered for a while why they're not "software", How big's your ship's SSD? can you fit the autopilot on there as well as the warrant scan software? How much space do you have left for the software that reverses the polarity of the neutron flow or whatever to make your shields filter hydrogen out or whichever :techno: solution you like. Things like KWS/cargo/surface scanners being driver software for the sensors would both make more sense and give other ranks of sensors besides D an actual point

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

the Lesnick

e:

Libluini posted:

My first thought was "fat whale". :v:

same thing right?

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

So, if i can find a small enough planetoid with a large enough ramp, can i orbit the SRV? This is something i am going to be trying a lot.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

It beats them launching it and, i dunno, it crashing every five minutes and ships flying off into space from physics errors and none of the stations rotating correctly and everything shaking, something along those lines maybe.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

Wow i haven't thought about dahan gateway in a while, lmao

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

Either someone fatfingered that or frontier have hired sandi gardner.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

Alehkhs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8lD37ey74c

"Something something he didn't attempt to land."
:goonsay:

nngh, no space to surface flight yet, it's a shame there's only atmosphere-free planets cause frontier are already pretty good at blue balls

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

jon joe posted:

This game looks interesting and I'm thinking of picking it up from the steam sale. I have a few questions, though:

The OP has a list of things you can do for money in order of their value. Can I do more than one of these things or is it like a class-based system where I pick one and my character is stuck as that?

Do players ever explicitly work together or is this all pretty much solo play with some interaction/PvP?

Am I going to be penalized in-game if I don't play regularly, or am I free to pick it up or put it down as I please?

You can do whatever you want provided your ship is geared for it, the only gate is your bank balance/skill.

Players definitely work together in wings, and even orgs though the stuff you can do as an actual organization is a little limited right now.

You can dip in and out of this as you wish, cheaper ships aren't artificially gimped by dint of just being cheap. Hell, for some stuff you might wanna stay in your little panel van, less attention from the po-po.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

jon joe posted:

Is controller significantly better than keyboard and mouse for this game? Having trouble doing anything that isn't crashing into stations.

Swap roll and yaw in the options then try it again.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

MisterZimbu posted:

Is there a way to tell which direction your ship is pointing? I think it'd be neat to find something interesting in the distance, then find it on the galaxy map and plot a course there; but I don't see anything on the HUD resembling a compass I can use.

Or are all the pretty looking things off in the distance too far away to actually reach even through hyperspace, and just there for decoration?

Get this if you're averse to spending money (or something more expensive if not).

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-...eywords=hotas+x

If you see a nebula or whatever in the distance you can go to it but there's no real way to tell what your current heading is i think, which kinda sucks. you can work it out manually by selecting stars to jump to and getting an approximate heading, then looking on the galaxy map. The skybox is real, like, all the stars you see in the skybox are where they would be from the point you're looking at it from. You can go to sol and spot the constellations!

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

Nav markers now have an 'obscured' visual state when the location is behind a planet/star

oh my god finally

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

LCL-Dead posted:

Bullshit. I've lost count of how many times I've overshot a station by letting the throttle rest in the magic blue zone of 75%. I'll be sitting fine at 6-7 seconds on approach and then I'll hear the engine whine up without even touching my throttle and if I don't immediately zero it out I will drop to 3 seconds and overshoot the station. It doesn't matter what angle I've approached from, where the planet is or how far out from the sun it is. Probably half of the time I'm approaching a station I overshoot even while trying to keep the counter at 08 or 09 versus 6.

i think when this happens it's because your relative reference point has shifted to the wrong thing (usually when you get closer to a moon than the planet on your path in) and your ship computer is now trying to calculate your speed relative to the moon that's relatively heading away from you. Next time it happens, if you get time, look in your left panel and see what the frame of reference marker is on.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

LCL-Dead posted:

Not entirely sure what you're talking about with the frame of reference marker to be quite honest. I don't just fly in the general direction of the station I'm going in. The mouse widget is on and I place it directly in the center of the station contact on the hud and adjust to keep it centered as I close in. Sometimes I'll arc up and around to get a better view of what side of the planet the station is on but that's about as flashy as I get with my sc travels.

Next time it happens I'll write down the system names as they come along. Should be tonight as I jump from Hudson back to Khaleesi space to turn in merits.

Your frame of reference marker indicates the thing you're working out your speed relative to, and it's the closest big thing to you, so if you exit out of the sphere of influence of a planet and hit another SOI of a moon or something, even if you're flying a straight line, it bollocks up your relative speed or something. someone can definitely explain this better than me.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

Touching the hell out of that poop. God i hate the "realism" argument so loving much.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

Literally Kermit posted:

All three ships are major variations on the same basic ship. If the Dropship has a niche, it either has not been implemented yet or is simply a bad design regulated to gimmicks, decoys, or experienced pilot.

I always figured the Dropship was supposed to be an Orca with armour and guns instead of a minigolf course and cocktail bar but as there's no passengers yet...

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

Welmu posted:

The stuff the tack onto borg cubes & models in general to make it seems more space-y

Greeble.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

Angrymog posted:

Or Kibble.

Nurnies if you work at ILM if i remember right, but i never liked that term

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

Mike the TV posted:

I would assume the tangled mess of wires inside is catching and creating tension. Please open it up and show me what's inside mine.

If past experience of peeking inside these things has taught me anything, the answer is: more hotglue than you'd believe possible

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

They love their grind. I'm amazed they haven't added Alliance ships. I don't give a drat about the Alliance because I don't care about system permits. Like, the only system permit that matters at all is Sol, for the novelty value of orbiting all your favorite hometown planets. And you get that from Feds.

Pure theory here but i reckon we're gonna be seeing more of the alliance this year with the thargoid stuff, alliance and thargoids are connected, via the Argent Aerodynamics Amalgamated Incorporated shipyards who should be making the alliance only ships. There's a fuckload of ship manufacturers they haven't put in yet, AAAI, Gupta Industrial Corporation, Reorte Driveyards, also the various weapons manufacturers and stuff. The sort of detail that's sorely lacking from E:D right now and it's all already written.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

Xtanstic posted:

Wait what? Thargoid poo poo is actually gonna happen and isn't just a dumb meme?

It's already happening it's just got an extremely long lead-in.

e: the unknown artifacts, the mysterious entire station fuckups, various bits of political stuff that's in powerplay so nobody pays any real attention to it etc.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

LCL-Dead posted:

I'm not a player of the original games but I do believe that the Thargoids were public enemy #1 for their duration.

It would be fitting to have them introduced into our current iteration of the game as well, especially considering the above mentioned Lore about the Alliance ship manufacturer working in conjuction with more amicable Thargoid factions to produce human/thargoid hybrid ships.

Frontier is going to have a hell of time balancing those out against the existing crop of ships.

To get everyone up to speed, (and this is from memory so it might be a bit off) basically the thargoids kicked our arses up one side and slapped them down the other for ages then a secret organization of all 3 major factions cooperating, called INRA, made an anti-thargoid virus which hosed them up and they said "tell you what you leave us alone and we'll leave you alone".

There was some small contact information trading going on with the alliance and possibly the (now) previous emperor, though. What happened between Elite 3 and 4 however, no idea.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

LCL-Dead posted:

Are we in Elite 4?

Yeah, E:D is elite 4, sorry. Elite 4.1 now i guess?

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

LCL-Dead posted:

Okay..

So is the search for the missing starliner a legit thing or just some lore to get players speculating?

That actually happened in E:D, a few months ago, that and the old emperor getting one in the dome were the start of powerplay, federation president who is not popular with the space republican warhawk not-president at all sets off on a tour of the rim colonies in spaceship one, spaceship one mysteriously explodes, space republican warhawk sweeps to power on a platform of revenge. 90% sure that's not thargoids unless it's a very behind the scenes destabilization thing, which it could be.

e: i misread utterly, i have no idea about this one.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its going to be either a new type of jump drive thats weaker long distance jumps but the ability to do in system jumping or another module that takes a spot that could be used for domething else.

One of these days Frontier are going to discover how to do passive railroading, but until then i think it's kinda cute that they're at least willing to try to make it look like we were involved in it

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

Shine posted:

That would be cool, yeah. Space Rangers 2 (FRONTIER PLEASE COPY) had missions like that, where you were tasked with preventing civilian deaths in an area for X amount of time, so if a pirate attacked a trader and you ran the pirate off, it contributed to your success and thus felt rewarding.

i think i have a boxed copy of this somewhere, if i can find it i'm going to send it to frontier fao davey brabes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

These gun bugs are why you should vote for Bernie, he's gonna bring an end to superPACs.

• Locked thread