Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I enjoyed Lovely Complex where both of the leads are unabashed weirdos, and it gracefully flip-flops on which of them is the straight man in any given scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I guess My Senpai is Annoying has a more outgoing male romantic figure. Futaba is a little gremlin woman and Takeda is a big loud dude who is pretty vocal about what he likes.

I also like it when Takeda gets into fights with Futaba's biker grandpa.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Basically wondering what a manic pixie dream boy would even look like. Thanks.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bongo Bill posted:

Ouran Host

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Imagining a romantic comedy where the guy is Kamina from Gurren Lagann and lamenting that it doesn't exist.

...kiznaiver?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

Steins;Gate

You'll also find a whole bunch of it in BL, if you're just looking for the quirky, eccentric guy part.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

...kiznaiver?

No I mean specifically Kamina in a romcom.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Bongo Bill posted:

love master from tsurezure children

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Bongo Bill posted:

Lots of romantic comedies have the setup where the male lead is a comparatively subdued, passive, and practical man, who's brought by coincidence into contact with the female lead, a comparatively glamorous, proactive, and eccentric woman. What's your favorite that has the opposite premise, where it's a consciously "ordinary" woman falling into the orbit of a more interesting man, while keeping the emphasis more on the "comedy" part of romantic comedy?

I guess Jellyfish Princess kinda counts, but I was rather meh about it for criminally under-using the secondary cast of weirdo girl housemates to the female lead

Skip and Loafer could also count (Mitsumi is a overachieving country bumpkin dork who falls for the outgoing, seemingly perfect pretty boy Shima), but I'd say it's evenly balanced in its comedy/romance/drama/slice-of-life elements.

Apothecary Diaries could also fit the bill, but again, not purely a comedy. (period drama + mystery thrown into the mix)

There is nothing about the male lead in Nozaki-kun that can be considered glamorous or proactive, but the female lead is definitely the straight man in most of the gags (except when she isn't, because surprise, she's a stupid weirdo too), and it's also much more focused on comedy (it's basically a gag manga with some continuity, like most 4komas).

e: actually thinking back on it I think One-Point Advice Yankee could be a perfect fit.

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 5, 2024

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
What are some good D&D-inspired series that I can use for an endcap at work?

My list so far:
Delicious in Dungeon (sadly the first volume needs a reprint)
Frieren (same)
Record of Lodoss War: The Crown of the Covenant
Slayers light novels
Lazy Dungeon Master
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash light novels
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
Konosuba: God’s Blessing on This Wonderful World

I know Goblin Slayer technically counts but c’mon. No.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

thetoughestbean posted:

My list so far:
Frieren (same)
Slayers light novels
Lazy Dungeon Master

Claymore
The Netflix Castlevania series if you want to stretch the definition a little
Overlord

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Bongo Bill posted:

Lots of romantic comedies have the setup where the male lead is a comparatively subdued, passive, and practical man, who's brought by coincidence into contact with the female lead, a comparatively glamorous, proactive, and eccentric woman. What's your favorite that has the opposite premise, where it's a consciously "ordinary" woman falling into the orbit of a more interesting man, while keeping the emphasis more on the "comedy" part of romantic comedy?

Koudaike no Hitobito is kinda like this! I thought it was very funny and sweet, great romcom with working adult characters.

E: I should specify it's only manga, oops

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 6, 2024

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

thetoughestbean posted:

My list so far:
Frieren (same)
Slayers light novels
Lazy Dungeon Master

Overlord and I think Magi are both inspired by D&D.

Berserk and Fairy Tail maybe possibly if youre willing to stretch your requirements a bit?

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

My list so far:
Frieren (same)
Slayers light novels
Lazy Dungeon Master

The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'd heard of Record of Lodoss War before, but I'd never looked into it. Just did, and it looks pretty interesting.

Unfortunately it looks like only the first book was ever translated. There are apparently fan translations of the non-localized volumes though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you want a fun time you can dig up the original D&D players guide that record of lodoss war is built off of. with the very funny running gag of the thief constantly questioning the DM's logic and then having a lightning bolt fired at him by an offscreen evil wizard

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

if you want a fun time you can dig up the original D&D players guide that record of lodoss war is built off of. with the very funny running gag of the thief constantly questioning the DM's logic and then having a lightning bolt fired at him by an offscreen evil wizard

The Record of Lodoss War Wiki has fan translations of those too actually. Not sure if I'm allowed to link to them though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jpgs on fan wikis are not :files:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I have a friend who's a big fan of submarine warfare type stuff, and I'm wondering if there's any shows with sub activity I can recommend to him?

He really loves the space submarine stuff from Yamato, and he's probably seen blue sub 6,so anything besides those two would work. Doesn't have to be scifi either.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kingtheninja posted:

I have a friend who's a big fan of submarine warfare type stuff, and I'm wondering if there's any shows with sub activity I can recommend to him?

He really loves the space submarine stuff from Yamato, and he's probably seen blue sub 6,so anything besides those two would work. Doesn't have to be scifi either.

https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/tags/submarine

I didn't know FMP had a submarine movie. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mars daybreak is decent though its got a lot of regular mecha stuff too (just underwater)

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Kingtheninja posted:

Infinite Ryvius has major submarine vibes.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Man submarine is narrow, I feel like gunbuster scratches a (space) naval itch it’s not quite sub warfare

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's also that bit in Yamato where the enemies have space submarines lol

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

What about underwater anime in general, not just submarines? Any genre. My partner is a diver and never gets tired of watching underwater stuff.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Roctavian posted:

What about underwater anime in general, not just submarines? Any genre. My partner is a diver and never gets tired of watching underwater stuff.

(Kinda) Grand Blue Dreaming (it's secondary to the comedy aspects)

Amanchu season 1

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Roctavian posted:

Underwater is just space with more pressure.

Soooo, Planetes.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Roctavian posted:

While not the main focus of it, the protagonist in Josee, the Tiger and the Fish is a college student that studies marine biology and also works at a shop that sells diving gear. There's a few diving scenes too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

There's also that bit in Yamato where the enemies have space submarines lol

One of my favourite parts of 2199 is the sheer 1970's-esque sci-fi nonsense that is the dimension-diving Submarine In Space :allears:

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Roctavian posted:

Real Drive could be worth a try. More of a sci-fi series about the various ways people interact with a version of the Internet that is metaphorized as an ocean. Has an island setting and the lead is a paraplegic diver who is hired to handle incidents there, since he can dive in the net. Ep13 being a particular standout since it's just about him growing up and falling in love with the sea.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Did someone already mention Grand Blue Diving?

It's literally about a dude working at a dive shop.

(disclaimer - I haven't watched it, it's just on my "watch eventually" list)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AlternateNu posted:

Underwater is just space with more pressure.
Ah, so Gurren Lagann.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Annath posted:

Did someone already mention Grand Blue Diving?

It's literally about a dude working at a dive shop.

(disclaimer - I haven't watched it, it's just on my "watch eventually" list)

Ha ha ha ha

HA HA HA HA HA

Yeah, being underwater is not what Grand Blue is about. It's more like a plot setting that comes up on occasion.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Supremezero posted:

Ha ha ha ha

HA HA HA HA HA

Yeah, being underwater is not what Grand Blue is about. It's more like a plot setting that comes up on occasion.

Oh. Well then, lol.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Supremezero posted:

Ha ha ha ha

HA HA HA HA HA

Water is very important in Grand Blue, drink this glass of it.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

A Lull in the Sea is a slice of life thing where some of the town is underwater and some ppl can just like live there

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Water is very important in Grand Blue, drink this glass of it.

Sure. Let me just get out my lighter first.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

When the Grand Blue crew do actually go diving it's very pretty.

It's just like, 10% of the manga's page count at best.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
[quote="Ibblebibble" post="538834022"]
When the Grand Blue crew do actually go diving it's very pretty.

It's just like, 10% of the manga's page count at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Kingtheninja posted:

Starship Operators scratches that itch for me.