Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Underwater is just space with more pressure.

Soooo, Planetes.

Good pull, my partner already watched this show & loved it!

We will check out these other recs, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Coxswain Balls posted:

Starship Operators scratches that itch for me.

I was gonna suggest that too

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Imagining a romantic comedy where the guy is Kamina from Gurren Lagann and lamenting that it doesn't exist.

https://mangadex.org/title/efb62763-c940-4495-aba5-69c192a999a4/do-chokkyuu-kareshi-x-kanojo

kinda

it's the manga this is from:

RubberLuffy fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 11, 2024

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man I remember that one, it was silly as hell

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that manga was kinda lame because when they did gently caress the girl got all shy and embarrassed about it while the guy kept yelling. traditional gender roles ftl

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Got a question wrt Miyazaki films. I haven't watched Nausicaa and I want to watch it in English. What are the differences between the dub options and is Warriors of the Wind worth checking out as a weird 80s artifact?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Got a question wrt Miyazaki films. I haven't watched Nausicaa and I want to watch it in English. What are the differences between the dub options and is Warriors of the Wind worth checking out as a weird 80s artifact?

The only two dubs out there are the Disney dub and the hacked up version. Can't say the hacked up version is worth checking out in full since at the end of the day even in a hypothetical where the dub itself were accurate to what's going on, there's no great movie that wouldn't become a mess after removing almost half an hour from it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How is the Disney dub? They tend to vary in quality.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Arc Hammer posted:

How is the Disney dub? They tend to vary in quality.

I'm not aware of any Disney dubs of Ghibli films that are bad.

Like, they spend a shitton of money getting big name celebrities, and every one I've seen has given a good performance.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yeah, they tend to be celebrities who can voice act, rather than playing themselves.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's a personal thing. Liam Neeson was really distracting in Ponyo, but Michael Keaton and David Ogden Stiers are excellent in Porco Rosso. Sometimes the celebrity voice distracts me, sometimes it doesn't.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Every single role in Princess Mononoke is amazing, even though you can tell immediately who's doing each character.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
looking for a good anime made in the past 5 years that looks SOVLful like cowboy bebop, perfect blue, interestella 5555, gto etc

theres been good shows lately, but its either too 3d cgi like mob psycho and chainsaw man or too stylized like odd taxi or sonny boy. its not the same

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mob psycho only used any CG at all for the OPs, nothing in the actual show is ever 3d animated

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fucker posted:

looking for a good anime made in the past 5 years that looks SOVLful like cowboy bebop, perfect blue, interestella 5555, gto etc

theres been good shows lately, but its either too 3d cgi like mob psycho and chainsaw man or too stylized like odd taxi or sonny boy. its not the same

I think you'll need to elaborate on what you mean by 'too stylized' because that's an extremely vague term and I would argue half the shows you cited as loving were very stylized in their own way too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So you want a show that looks like the highly detailed 80s-90s art styles but made from 2019-onwards?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fucker posted:

Cyberpunk: Edgerunners, but also,

Julias posted:

I think you'll need to elaborate on what you mean by 'too stylized' because that's an extremely vague term and I would argue half the shows you cited as loving were very stylized in their own way too.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

So you want a show that looks like the highly detailed 80s-90s art styles but made from 2019-onwards?

but that would be something like sonny boy, which they specifically say they're not looking for...

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Megalobox was specifically imitating the look of old grungy sci-fi stuff if thats what youre looking for. otherwise idk

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
idk i just wanted to know if there was some new show/movie i missed out on that hits those kinds of looks
megalobox was good. eizouken as well now that i think ab it but ive already seen those

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well Edgerunners does get close if you haven't seen it yet. The backgrounds are lifted straight from Cyberpunk 2077 and that game intentionally looks like 1980s-90s sci-fi.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
so this is gonna be broad, but please recommend me some 90s shows. i'm in the mood for traditional cel animation.

since i can't list everything relevant i've seen, here's the bigger stuff off the top of my head

evangelion
bebop
utena
outlaw star
sailor moon
trigun
nadesico
lain
captain harlock
banner of the stars

i just want to hear about shows you think are worth watching from that era

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Rinkles posted:

so this is gonna be broad, but please recommend me some 90s shows. i'm in the mood for traditional cel animation.

since i can't list everything relevant i've seen, here's the bigger stuff off the top of my head

evangelion
bebop
utena
outlaw star
sailor moon
trigun
nadesico
lain
captain harlock
banner of the stars

Gunbuster
Gunsmith Cats
Slayers

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The 90s JoJo OVA if you can find it.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Tenamonya Voyagers
The Hakkenden Pts 1 + 2
Kare Kano
Escaflowne?
Aoki Densetsu Shoot
Oruchuban Ebichu
Hunter x Hunter :D

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Gundam Wing

G Gundam

Tenchi Muyo

Irresponsible Captain Tyler

Patlabor

Maaaaaaybe Detective Conan or at least a few episodes since that series is impossibly long.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Giant Robo
Super Atragon
KO Century Beast Warriors

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

symbolic posted:

Gunbuster
Gunsmith Cats
Slayers

Gunbuster's from the 80s.

Patlabor managed to continue into the 90s, though. Giant Robot police comedy, with a lot of time and gags spent trying to deal with the consequences of using giant robots in urban settings.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Rinkles posted:

evangelion
bebop
utena
outlaw star
sailor moon
trigun
nadesico
lain
captain harlock
banner of the stars

turn a gundam

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

Gunbuster's from the 80s.

who cares, it's roughly the same sort of style

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Dragon Half

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Half-recommendation in general for if you want something recent with the aesthetics of a 80's/90's OVA, go watch Metallic Rouge. The writing and tone really feels like something that would've been a four-episode OVA in the 90's, down to the OP.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I feel like half the appeal of those OVAs is having insane animation, which Metallic Rouge absolutely does not after it gets out of the gate. So you get a modern shadow of that vibe with all of the same writing issues despite being significantly longer than the average OVA.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rinkles posted:

evangelion
bebop
utena
outlaw star
sailor moon
trigun
nadesico
lain
captain harlock
banner of the stars

Dirty Pair Flash
Escaflowne
Slayers

And I'm going to throw Boogiepop Phantom on there despite it technically being 2000. Same with Great Teacher Onizuka (1999-2000).

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Blue seed
Burn up
Rahxephon
Dirty pair flash

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

not sure what the right term is, but is slayers the kind of show where most of the episodes are standalone, and the show most of the time isn't that concerned with overarching plot?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

and thanks, i've either seen or heard of most of the suggestions, but now i have a list to reference at any time.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Rinkles posted:

not sure what the right term is, but is slayers the kind of show where most of the episodes are standalone, and the show most of the time isn't that concerned with overarching plot?

episodic, and iirc yes though i've mainly watched the movies and OVAs so i'm saying yes to those

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Need more episodic shows, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I like them, but not if they completely abandon any kind of progression.