Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The World God Only Knows has a scheming protagonist. There's an unfortunate gap between the second and third seasons where they just skipped over material, but what's there is great fun.

For heartwarming, check the single dad manga thread or watch Non Non Biyori.

The World God Only Knows is really great once you get into the Goddesses stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The World God Only Knows has a scheming protagonist. There's an unfortunate gap between the second and third seasons where they just skipped over material, but what's there is great fun.
I remember reading the manga until I caught up with the translations as it hadn't finished yet. I had no idea it had been completed, that's great!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Non Non Biyori

This is good and heartwarming but the show is so chill that it doesn't reach the necessary feels to make me cry.

The Devil Tesla posted:

ShiroBako is heartwarming as hell despite tackling some tough stuff. Sound! Euphonium might scratch that itch as well.

Watched ShiroBako and cried when Shizuka recorded her part! Euphonium looks interesting, thanks.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

gmq posted:

I also want to watch (or read) things that make me cry of happiness/heartwarming like the last episode of My Love Story!! or the episode where Sawako reconciles with Yano and Yoshida (volume 2 of the manga).

Thanks!

Have you seen Chihayafuru? It's by the same studio and director as My Love Story!!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There were some eps in the new NNB season that, while I wouldn't say hit hard, were certainly emotional resonating.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

is Penguindrum any good?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

is Penguindrum any good?

It is. It's not as good an Ikuhara as Utena (nothing is a good as Utena), but it's miles above Yuri Kuma Arashi. It's got some good, funny scenes, the stock footage is silly and has great music so I never found it to grate too much, and its symbolism is blatant yet sometimes opaque in that signature Ikuhara Style. Most characters are likable, and those that aren't are at least entertaining. I need to rewatch it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The first half of Penguin Drum is spectacular, the second half becomes so abstract it's hard to feel strongly about it either way. Some day I'll rewatch it with foreknowledge of where it's going and try to work out what it says in more detail than "love expresses itself through sacrifice, also abusive parents suck" but I keep hoping it's going to get a movie or something to cap it off.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The first half of Penguin Drum is spectacular, the second half becomes so abstract it's hard to feel strongly about it either way. Some day I'll rewatch it with foreknowledge of where it's going and try to work out what it says in more detail than "love expresses itself through sacrifice, also abusive parents suck" but I keep hoping it's going to get a movie or something to cap it off.

The weirdest part of Penguin Drum was being in the middle of my Masters-level research on the event that it loosely revolved around while the show was airing.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I am completely new to anime. All I've watched is FMA:B. Is anything on Netflix worth watching? I like your typical genre stuff. Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror etc.

This is kinda vague but like I said I'm just sorta starting to watch this stuff

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I am completely new to anime. All I've watched is FMA:B. Is anything on Netflix worth watching? I like your typical genre stuff. Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror etc.

Samurai Champloo - hip hop samurais, lots of cool fighting

Gurren Lagann - Giant robots that keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger, hotblooded action

Mushishi - relaxing tale about a guy wondering japan solving supernatural problems. very episodic and easy to pick up and watch

Attack on Titan - action series with a dash of horror, humanity is under attack by giant creepy looking titans

I thought Steins;Gate was on Netflix but I don't see it, that would've been a good sci-fi show for you. There's actually quite a few shows on Netflix worth watching nowadays, these are just a few of my favorites.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Shonen: Hunter x Hunter, Death Note
Shoujo: My Little Monster, Ouran Host Club
Robots: Gurren Lagann, Eureka Seven
Magical Girl: Madoka and Madoka Rebellion
Very Chill and Good with moments of horror: Mushishi
Devil working in Mcdonalds: Devil is a Part-timer
Cool Movie: Mind Game

I hear Moribito is good too but I haven't watched it for myself yet.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Also:
Fate/Zero - Modern Day Fantasy
Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Watch the series first. Then try the movies. Ignore the big pink motif. You'll know why after episode 3.
The Devil Is a Part-Timer! - Goofy comedy/fantasy.

efb;

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'll check those out. How is Soul Eater? I sorta dig the art style.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'll check those out. How is Soul Eater? I sorta dig the art style.

You'd probably like it. Most people do. It has an anime-original ending that people are mixed on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Allarion posted:

You'd probably like it. Most people do. It has an anime-original ending that people are mixed on.

Wasn't that a "we'll be back when there's enough manga to continue" ending?

Also if Redline is on Netflix, you should watch Redline.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

why did netflix remove nhk...

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wasn't that a "we'll be back when there's enough manga to continue" ending?

Also if Redline is on Netflix, you should watch Redline.

Nah, they resolved the main plotline in their own way much like how the first FMA resolved it in its own way.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Linnaeus posted:

poo poo goes on and off netflix all the time with little to no warning.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Linnaeus posted:

Guess you're no longer welcome :v:.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Guess you're no longer welcome :v:.

wooooow

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

pretty much everything good has been mentioned so far but i'll throw in a rec for genius party & genius party beyond.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It's worth noting if Ozma Diet checks out Hunter x Hunter that not everything's up on Netflix, but if he gets that far and likes it he can just finish up the series on Crunchyroll.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

is Penguindrum any good?

It has a good reputation here but I thought it was over hyped for what it turned out to be; you may like it but I'm not sure what angle you're coming at it from.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Death Note is on netflix I think and that a pretty solid staple anime.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Allarion posted:

I hear Moribito is good too but I haven't watched it for myself yet.

Go watch Moribito right now, it's the best. It's in my top five shows.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Reds posted:

Go watch Moribito right now, it's the best. It's in my top five shows and I've watched well over a hundred shows, most of them good ones.

My backlog is long and vast unfortunately. Still on Utena at the moment, and then maybe the monogataris after that since that's a popular topic at the moment. But yeah, Moribito's been on my list.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Allarion posted:

My backlog is long and vast unfortunately. Still on Utena at the moment, and then maybe the monogataris after that since that's a popular topic at the moment. But yeah, Moribito's been on my list.

As long as it isn't stuck at the bottom of the backlog I'll be happy.

You know, with Utena, I don't think I've ever watched a show in a "I need to watch nothing else until I finish this and watch it all very quickly" fashion and get to the end completely unsure if I actually liked it or not. I can't decide if the excessive symbolism is ultimately good or just kind of going too far and sticking it's head up its own rear end. And I'm not saying that in a "I didn't get it so it's dumb" way either. I guess I found it engaging enough? I dunno. Utena was kind of a really boring character too.

The one thing I can be sure about is that the action was absolutely awful. There is o excuse for the same lazy fight with zero choreography where Utena blocks for a bit then wins in one stock footage attack every episode, particularly when there's all that stock footage in order to conserve us budget for said fights. I know that the action isn't the focus or point of Utena but that's no excuse for garbage action.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a 39 episode tv series from the late 90's with a low budget, that's pretty much its excuse.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yankee-kun And Megane-chan keeps showing up on the recommended series at the top of Kissmanga. I've heard lots of good things about it, but I have also heard that it ends incredibly poorly. Is this correct or am I misremembering the series people were saying that about? No gory details needed, just curious.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Captain Invictus posted:

Yankee-kun And Megane-chan keeps showing up on the recommended series at the top of Kissmanga. I've heard lots of good things about it, but I have also heard that it ends incredibly poorly. Is this correct or am I misremembering the series people were saying that about? No gory details needed, just curious.

It kinda just ends in a unsatisfying manner that is basically, and now we're going back to status quo. Entertaining series though other than the lame ending.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

It had a really, really high high and the cast was one of the best I've seen for a comedy with slight (ever so slight) bits of romance. But it was also the type of thing that really needed a great send off and hearing about the lackluster ending took the wind out of a lot of people's sails.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Admoon posted:

I thought Steins;Gate was on Netflix but I don't see it, that would've been a good sci-fi show for you.

It depends on your region. It's not on US Netflix, but it is on UK Netflix (and maybe Canada, too). So, to the person who was asking, if Steins;Gate is there, it's fantastic and definitely worth a watch. Also, if you don't mind dubs, the Steins;Gate dub is probably my favourite ever, so that's also worth considering.

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005
Any suggestions for autumn-themed series? Like how Air is a really summer-themed show and Kanon really winter-themed? Of course, the show certainly doesn't need to be that type of anime. For some reason, I remember Honey and Clover of being a bit autumny. But it could also be that I simply watched the show during that season..

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Fate/zero is entertaining as hell. It's basically 7 dudes playing eighth-dimensional speed chess with each other's lives at stake, while historical/mythological figures have batshit superpower fights.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Funny Bunny posted:

Any suggestions for autumn-themed series? Like how Air is a really summer-themed show and Kanon really winter-themed? Of course, the show certainly doesn't need to be that type of anime. For some reason, I remember Honey and Clover of being a bit autumny. But it could also be that I simply watched the show during that season..

Soul Eater :v:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Funny Bunny posted:

Any suggestions for autumn-themed series? Like how Air is a really summer-themed show and Kanon really winter-themed? Of course, the show certainly doesn't need to be that type of anime. For some reason, I remember Honey and Clover of being a bit autumny. But it could also be that I simply watched the show during that season.
While it's not a series, Sword of the Stranger is a very cold autumnal kinda film. It's an action flick though which isn't much like any of the things you've listed here.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Gonna re-iterate what others said: Madoka (series + third movie, the first two movies are just recaps of the series) is REALLY, REALLY GOOD, watch that. The first few episodes might tell you you're not exactly in the right target group, but trust me, do it. There'll be a point where you cannot stop watching until you run out of it.

There's also Space Dandy - fun, obscenely good-looking space adventures with Space Dandy and his space crew (in space), and if you ask me, an instant classic the minute it aired. Very chill. Great Sci-Fi, too. No idea if it's on Netflix, though. :v:

Then there's Fate/Zero. It's got a very cool story and insane intrigues with fantasy wizards, so if you're into that, go watch that! But one word of warning: if you ask me, it's got horrendous direction and bad action scenes, despite its apparently ridiculous budget. I guess that one's a matter of taste.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Are there any good horror anime movies? I know of a handful of shows, but is there anything worth watching in the movie-realm? Short OVAs would work, too. I'm just looking for stuff to watch around Halloween.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Parallax posted:

Are there any good horror anime movies? I know of a handful of shows, but is there anything worth watching in the movie-realm? Short OVAs would work, too. I'm just looking for stuff to watch around Halloween.
Perfect Blue is maybe closer to suspense, but is a good movie regardless.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Parallax posted:

Here's a list I worked with last year, although "good" is extremely subjective here:
Devilman (Parts 1+2)
Vampire Wars
Vampire Hunter D
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Dracula: Sovereign of the Damned
Baoh
Psychic Wars

There's probably more, but I can't remember right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yo, recommend me something cool if you dare!

Stuff I enjoyed:

Gundam 0080: War In the Pocket (To me, this is the Gundam series that gets the character-driven melodrama right where almost every other Gundam series gets it so dreadfully wrong. 08th MS team is cool until it shits the bed in the last 3 or so episodes. MS IGLOO is ok.)
Kaiji (Manly-tears gambling anime with Marxist sensibilities? It's like it was made for me. I tried Akagi and didn't enjoy it as much. Partly due to the Mahjongg focus and partly due to it not being quite as fun to watch a character who has an iron grip on everything compared to one who's really struggling. That's not to say the "mastermind hero" can't be entertaining.)
Lupin III (I watched the Fujiko Mine series and enjoyed it until it began having a tighter serial narrative towards the end. The leery rape stuff with Fujiko was tasteless and the plot was close to nonsensical.)
Armored Trooper VOTOMS (I've seen and enjoyed Armor Hunter Mellowlink as well.)
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (COME BACK JOJO)
Mononoke (I didn't enjoy MuShiShi.)
Cowboy Bebop (Another case where the episodic series is very cool but the tendency towards a serial narrative near the end descends into poor writing and overly 'anime' stuff. Samurai Champloo just didn't do it for me.)
Yu Yu Hakusho (A childhood favorite. I'm not opposed to a shonen series if it's good- see JoJo. The combination of the supernatural stuff and the street punks is funny, but it ends up in 'interminable tournament' territory after a while.)
Cromartie High School (Anime comedy is very much a miss for me, but this one was absurd in juuuust the right way. Any comedy anime is going to be a hard sell for me. I watched the dub of this, which I think was the right choice in this case.)

Stuff that didn't do it for me:

Fullmetal Alchemist (Tried both series. There are a lot of elements to like here but it just doesn't come together. Too much goofy, tonedeaf anime poo poo going on. Protagonist isn't likeable.)
Baccanno! (Again, a cool setting and idea, but the complex, layered plot got revealed over time to involve a lot of hand-waving and happenstance, and a lot of the dialogue and character writing were really bad. I liked the Bonnie and Clyde duo.)
Trigun (gently caress this series for having the coolest setting and the most irritating protagonist with the dumbest narrative and conflicts.)
Evangelion (Some awesome design, and the OVAs have some of the most beautifully animated sequences around, but the psychobabble and cargo-cult religious symbol stuff comes off as juvenile in a bad way.)
Attack on Titan
Probably almost all moe/slice of life stuff.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 2, 2015