Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

My SO and I really enjoy comedy shows where the main character is some kind of terrible goblin who screams a lot and are often drawn as a chibi blob while they have their "clever" plans or reasoning backfire and they get exactly what they deserve while a straight man character or narrator heedlessly tells them that they are an idiot but things turn out alright and heartwarming in the end. Examples we have watched include Tearmoon Empire, The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated!, 'Tis Time for "Torture," Princess, Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro, and Squid Girl.

I'm sure there are a lot of shows where elements of the above are true, but the key part of those examples is that only the main character is particularly zany for all or most of the runtime, and they get a lot of internal monologue or at least talks out loud to themselves a lot, putting their dumbass thoughts on display for all to see.

edit: For instance we've watched and enjoyed Kaguya-sama: Love is War which has a bunch of elements of that but none of the main characters quite have that "terrible goblin" thing going on.

Jashin-chan Dropkick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

BattleMaster posted:

My SO and I really enjoy comedy shows where the main character is some kind of terrible goblin who screams a lot and are often drawn as a chibi blob while they have their "clever" plans or reasoning backfire and they get exactly what they deserve while a straight man character or narrator heedlessly tells them that they are an idiot but things turn out alright and heartwarming in the end. Examples we have watched include Tearmoon Empire, The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated!, 'Tis Time for "Torture," Princess, Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro, and Squid Girl.

I'm sure there are a lot of shows where elements of the above are true, but the key part of those examples is that only the main character is particularly zany for all or most of the runtime, and they get a lot of internal monologue or at least talks out loud to themselves a lot, putting their dumbass thoughts on display for all to see.

edit: For instance we've watched and enjoyed Kaguya-sama: Love is War which has a bunch of elements of that but none of the main characters quite have that "terrible goblin" thing going on.

People already mentioned Uzaki-chan which features a literal goblin girl so I'll add in Chio's School Road, Asobi Asobase, Dropkick on my Devil, and Gabriel Dropout.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Julias posted:

Uzaki-san is pretty similar to Nagatoro San in that aspect, so you might like that one too.

The funny part is that despite Uzaki being a little goblin and the titular character, she isn't even the most terrible schemer in the show. :v:

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

BattleMaster posted:

Sabagebu! is ostensibly a show about an airsoft club, kind fits the bill, it has a narrator, however the entire cast are goblins trying to outgoblin each other.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Thoren posted:

Can someone recommend me an anime/manga that heavily subverts Japanese medieval fantasy tropes?

Gintama??

It's setting is kinda alternate history Meji era Japan with aliens?

It's also basically the Seinfeld of anime.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Tricky question because first you've got to pin down what exactly medieval Japanese fantasy entails. There's plenty of good fantasy anime and manga series out there but depending in how far you stretch definitions they wouldn't all fall into the specific Japanese Medieval Fantasy. Like, Berserk is medieval fantasy but it is a distinctly European setting.

I'm thinking the cliche D&D-inspired stuff. Like akame ga kill but less lovely.

Annath posted:

Gintama??

It's setting is kinda alternate history Meji era Japan with aliens?

It's also basically the Seinfeld of anime.

That sentence has intrigued me, I'll check it out.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Thoren posted:

I'm thinking the cliche D&D-inspired stuff. Like akame ga kill but less lovely.

That sentence has intrigued me, I'll check it out.

Note that Gintama is incredibly funny, so not serious.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Thoren posted:

Can someone recommend me an anime/manga that heavily subverts Japanese medieval fantasy tropes?

Dungeon Meshi. the main way in which it subverts the setting is that it is good, instead of bad,

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Thoren posted:

Elaborate. What tropes are we talking about? Assuming you mean no slavery or other gross poo poo, Undead Adventurer, Faraway Paladin, Grimgar.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
I'm feeling a bit disconnected from MODERNITY lately, so I am trying to see if there's anything cool that came out recently (<10 years) that's in the vein of Utena. Not necessarily magical girl, more leaning on the unhinged gay feminist character drama side of "what even is Utena?"

Like I want the equivalent of pulling a sword out of your girlfriend, but not actually that, because that got done to death. Please and thank you

PS: ideally something that's finished

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Uhhh... Flip Flappers?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BattleMaster posted:

himouto umaru-chan might fit the bill

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

himouto umaru-chan might fit the bill

Uzaki-chan

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DearSirXNORMadam posted:

I'm feeling a bit disconnected from MODERNITY lately, so I am trying to see if there's anything cool that came out recently (<10 years) that's in the vein of Utena. Not necessarily magical girl, more leaning on the unhinged gay feminist character drama side of "what even is Utena?"

Like I want the equivalent of pulling a sword out of your girlfriend, but not actually that, because that got done to death. Please and thank you

Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight and it's movie feels like it might be a good fit for what you are looking for.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Julias posted:

Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight and it's movie feels like it might be a good fit for what you are looking for.

Seconding Revue Starlight.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

Aho Girl. Shes more of a complete idiot goblin than clever though

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

DearSirXNORMadam posted:

Gundam: The Witch From Mercury
Brave Bang Bravern!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

BattleMaster posted:

Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle probably hits a lot of these notes.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Rand Brittain posted:

Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle probably hits a lot of these notes.

Yes. Yes it does.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

doomrider7 posted:

Yes. Yes it does.

Sleepy Princess almost immediately devolves into a case of "I'm not trapped in here with you, you're all trapped in here with me" and is utterly amazing for how the castle's denizens suffer in their supposed prisoner's continuous quest for a good night's sleep. :allears:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Thanks for all the recommendations, I'm glad that "horrible goblin" seems to actually be a real subgenre. We've seen Aho Girl and Sleepy Princess too. Aho Girl definitely fits the bill, but I never really thought of Sleepy Princess that way, because the demons are far too kind to give her any kind of pushback, her plans actually work, and she's kind of terrifying sometimes :ohdear:

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

BattleMaster posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations, I'm glad that "horrible goblin" seems to actually be a real subgenre. We've seen Aho Girl and Sleepy Princess too. Aho Girl definitely fits the bill, but I never really thought of Sleepy Princess that way, because the demons are far too kind to give her any kind of pushback, her plans actually work, and she's kind of terrifying sometimes :ohdear:

The titular Apothecary from Apothecary Diaries is also a horrible goblin, though a rather more competent one

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

G1mby posted:

The titular Apothecary from Apothecary Diaries is also a horrible goblin, though a rather more competent one

Mao Mao is not a horrible goblin.

She is a a cat gremlin and drug fiend. Get it right, please.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Kvantum posted:

Mao Mao is not a horrible goblin.

She is a a cat gremlin and drug fiend. Get it right, please.

Remember kids, don't do cat.

:catdrugs:

This is from The Mikadono Sisters are Easy to Handle which does feature three tomboyish sisters with various hint of gremlin in them being cared for by a soft boy.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

don't think apothecary diaries is a fit for what op is describing - maomao is more of a sherlock holmes-esque eccentric but very observant and competent, and she's often using street smarts to navigate the politics of the rear palace. there is some straight man comedy with chibis but it's not quite nagatoro/torture princess/uzaki in terms of fluffy vibe and gremlin mc

i do, however, wholly recommend it anyway.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

So, this might be a long shot, but I found out these past couple of days that I love learning about food anime. Bartender, Dungeon Meshi, Campfire Cooking in Another World With My Absurd Skill, Ms. Koizumi Loves Ramen Noodles, Restaurant to Another World, and Isekai Izakaya Nobu. Yes, I’ve tried Food Wars too.

Is there anything else I can watch that has that whole “cozy” learning about food/drink feel?

I was also recommended Cinderella Chef but didn’t like it very much animated. Have yet to try it manga style.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Pan Dulce posted:

So, this might be a long shot, but I found out these past couple of days that I love learning about food anime. Bartender, Dungeon Meshi, Campfire Cooking in Another World With My Absurd Skill, Ms. Koizumi Loves Ramen Noodles, Restaurant to Another World, and Isekai Izakaya Nobu. Yes, I’ve tried Food Wars too.

Is there anything else I can watch that has that whole “cozy” learning about food/drink feel?

I was also recommended Cinderella Chef but didn’t like it very much animated. Have yet to try it manga style.

Emiya-san Chi no Kyou no Gohan

Super cozy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
for manga, The Old Knight of the Frontier, Bard Loen should suit you well. It's not entirely food-focused, but it does spend quite a bit of time carefully preparing meals while out in the wilderness and foraging/hunting for things. The actual storyline and characters are absolutely top notch, as well.

Kumika's Sense of Taste is a fantastic, complete manga about an earth where aliens have made contact and integrated into human society. Kumika is an alien who can subsist entirely off the particles in the air, just by breathing, so she's never had to eat to survive. So when she's introduced to earth food, she learns to love eating for the joy of it, rather than necessity. Very fun, very cute, very chill series. also, one of her coworkers is just a straight-up xenomorph. :allears:

and if you're not averse to overly fanservicey series, Gal Gohan is about a cooking teacher who has a gal join his class. It's pretty good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sweetness and Lightning is a cute story about a widowed dad learning to cook so he can give his daughter better meals.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

Kumika's Sense of Taste is a fantastic, complete manga about an earth where aliens have made contact and integrated into human society. Kumika is an alien who can subsist entirely off the particles in the air, just by breathing, so she's never had to eat to survive. So when she's introduced to earth food, she learns to love eating for the joy of it, rather than necessity. Very fun, very cute, very chill series. also, one of her coworkers is just a straight-up xenomorph. :allears:

seconding this one

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Sweetness and Lightning is a cute story about a widowed dad learning to cook so he can give his daughter better meals.

Spoiler something for me before I watch it. Google gave me an ambivalent answer. Do the dad and the daughter get together? Cause that’s not my jam

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Pan Dulce posted:

I second what Captain Invictus said about Kumika's Sense of Taste and will add Drinking is for Married Couples which is about a bartender house husband making cocktails for his wife, Shinmai Shinmai Futari Gohan which is about stepsisters bonding via cooking and food, Nomi Joshi which is about a group of women friends eating and drinking delicious food and booze, How to Grill our Love I think is getting anime soon and it's about a newlywed couple bonding via BBQ cooking and grilling, and Opening a Cafe in Another World seems promising on cursory overview. I feel like I'm missing another well known one that I can't recall if it was also HS based or house life based.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 11, 2024

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Seconding Gal Gohan. It's funny, food focused, and charming.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pan Dulce posted:

Spoiler something for me before I watch it. Google gave me an ambivalent answer. Do the dad and the daughter get together? Cause that’s not my jam

No.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Pan Dulce posted:

No, it is THANKFULLY not that kind of thing. Mikadono Sisters are Easy to Handle while not specifically about cooking has a lot of focus on food.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Yes…. Yes! This is the bounty I wanted. Thank you goons!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pan Dulce posted:

You can watch all of Wakakozake in less than 30 minutes

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’ve been read Kiyo in Kyoto: From the Maiko House, which is about a girl living as a housekeeper for a place where they train apprentice geishas. It has an anime and a live action adaptation, too

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

I’ve been read Kiyo in Kyoto: From the Maiko House, which is about a girl living as a housekeeper for a place where they train apprentice geishas. It has an anime and a live action adaptation, too

This reminded me that Taisho Otome Otogibanashi had a cooking spinoff as well as the main manga having a lot of cooking and food related stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Pan Dulce posted:

Manga-only, but three more you could try are Restaurant of the Awkward People, Uramachi Sakaba and She Loves to Cook, and She Loves to Eat.

Also a bit of a long shot, but for a live action show you could check out "Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories". Definitely hits that cozy vibe.