Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The other show with Nichijou in its (jp) name: Daily Lives of High School Boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Then after that watch Dororon Enma-kun MeeraMera

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

As an actual rec for Torquemadras: watch Shinsekai Yori (find UTW's subs, i didn't like the official ones)

GorfZaplen posted:

That's mean.

it's very scary

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

From the New World is kind of a slow burn (and yeah the exposition episode is kinda awkward), and it's weird becomes sometimes the direction is fan-loving-tastic and others can seem really flat. I still love it however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9XL35b9OjI

Dororon Enma-kun MeeraMera (*BAMF* It's Enma! ~crickle crackle~) is hilarious and lewd and silly. I didn't like the serious version of it either.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Nausicaa manga is one of the great pieces of world creation in all of science fiction.

It's a decent Ghibli movie, but the manga is on a whole different level.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

gmq posted:

Hi guys, I'm still looking for anime (in Crunchyroll) that'll make me cry out of happiness/heartwarming.

I'm not sure if it's actually still on crunchryoll, but yeah the Bunny Drop is so heartwarming your heart might literally burst into flames. It's super good.
So watch that if it is still up, and consider it even if it's not.

AnoHana is another good suggestion, it is much heavier on the sadness however.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

I'm in the mood for something optimistic -- is there anything like the manga/anime equivalent of Star Trek? Something set in a clean, optimistic future, about characters doing things in space or somesuch. Planetes was great, but a bit downbeat.

Bodacious Space Pirates.

Yes, i'm 100% serious. That's almost exactly how I would describe it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Ah, I never tried that when it was airing because of the wackadoo title! I guess this merits a second look. Thanks!

Warning does contain some fanservice:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

littleorv posted:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah Voices of a Distant Star is just one guy, in the original version he and his wife even did the voice acting. It's short, but it's good.

His actual first project is She and Her Cat, a 5 minute short that is also definitely worth tracking down.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

legend of galactic heroes is really long. does it take like 30 episodes to get going or is there a ton of unnecessary padding or anything like that, or is it just a billion episodes of nonstop quality anime?

It's the latter, assuming you like the kind of story it is.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

It's really dumb how it's blocked out on CR for US IPs, though! But yeah that was such a good one.

Huh, i swear i watched the first episode there...guess i shouldn't have slacked off about watching it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Anri is cool and cute.
Yeah, Kida sucks, but whatever he's just one guy.

Houkago Tea Time and Tenacious D can live together in harmony
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDGHei6Nllk

and K-on! is super good, but not necessarily for everyone: much like Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Torquemadras posted:

Hey, what's the resident anime expert opinion on Darker Than Black? I've been looking for some sci-fi-ish action shows after having watched Psycho-Pass and Cyber City Oedo (which is so goddamn awesome, had a huge grin during the entire show :haw: ), and at least the first season seems to be well-liked. The basic premise sounds like shonen standard fare, though, which I'm not too keen on. Worth a try?
For the record: I dislike stupid rock-paper-scissor / Calvinball fights, and I got REALLY annoyed by the philosophical streak from Psycho-Pass...

And unrelated, another action show I've heard stuff about : Giant Robo. I'm not really a fan of the mecha genre, but I LOVED TTGL and depressing-and-disturbing-Evangelion...

I really liked the first season (of DTB) and the OVAs. While i didn't hate the second season per se...i didn't really like it much either. I'd still recommend it though!

Giant Robo isn't like either of those, but the animation is great and it's very cool. I'm not as blown away by it as a lot of people, but in a weird way it feels like a failing on my part rather than the show's.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Radio Spiricom posted:

what's some good shows like honey and clover, nodame cantabile, kids on the slope, and your lie in april?

Paradise Kiss
Paradise Kiss
and
Paradise Kiss

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This is chronological order (not release order), i bolded the ones to definitely watch.

Macross Zero
SDF Macross
Do You Remember Love
Macross Plus
Macross 7
Macross Frontier

Seven is realllly long and i didn't care for it at all. Zero adds magical weirdness and the best thing about it is when it gets referenced in Macross Frontier.
Macross 2 is it's own strange thing and i haven't even bothered with it, maybe someday i will.

*DYRL is a movie version of the first series, it's no longer quite canon, but it is fantastically animated and has some of the best songs in the whole series.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

If you want some more cool sci-fi, check out Banner/Crest of the Stars.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Castle of Cagliostro
Adolescence of Utena
Beautiful Dreamer
K-On! The Movie

Expelled From Paradise.

Oh, he probably wants good movies.

Patema Inverted was ok. The setup was neat, and I liked the imagery. My biggest problems that I remember are that Patema herself doesn't get to do much, and the overly cartoonishly evil villain.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Davincie posted:

Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day

It's this.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kylra posted:

I have actually seen this one, but it is one that didn't come to mind for listing.

It is! Or it would be if I hadn't already seen it.

Doh.

Have you seen Haibane Renmei?

How ' bout Honey and Clover?

And, it's mainly in the second season but Clannad.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kylra posted:

And maybe I will! Asking about this has kind of indicated to me that I don't remember some shows very well at all off the top of my head.

I don't think it's so much what causes their sadness per se that I'm looking for, but more them being driven in a personal way nearly inseparably by that thing for better and worse (Kiritsugu, Kotoura, Wandering Son) and/or to a personal tragic event that they both do and don't want to avoid (Tutu, Utena, From the New World) in some way. As opposed to just being depressed or sad without it being central or necessary to their personality/plot/actions. Probably not the best wording even given that this is just a short paragraph, but hopefully understandable.

Have you seen any of Shinkai's films? 5cm per Second, The Place Promised in Our Early Days, and Garden of Words might be right up your alley.

If manga works, read Solanin and/or Nijigahara Holograph.

e: a couple of those movies are even on crunchyroll, I think.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 28, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

-Troika- posted:

Someone recommend me a kickass action anime that doesn't have any lovely moe or fanservice in it

Have you seen Sword of the Stranger?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

that might be too action packed

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Droyer posted:

shut yo mouth!

He's only talking 'bout SHAFT.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ghost of Starman posted:

Are there any series on Netflix that folks would highly recommend? (I've seen & enjoyed Madoka, TTGL, and Kill la Kill already.) Any mecha series, in particular.

For that matter, are there many "medieval-ish" mecha shows out there (not necessarily on Netflix) other than Escaflowne? I have the vague inklings of an RPG setting involving giant suits of armor smashing each other with swords, and I'm looking for inspiration.

Netflix announced that they will be streaming the brand new mecha series Kuromukuro, but haven't specified a date for it yet. Apparently Netflix.jp has already aired two episodes (with English subs, no less), so that might be worth keeping an eye out for when they do get around to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHkCNXjh3sI

There's a new thread for it too, if you want to give that a look.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ghost of Starman posted:

Are there any series on Netflix that folks would highly recommend? (I've seen & enjoyed Madoka, TTGL, and Kill la Kill already.) Any mecha series, in particular.

For that matter, are there many "medieval-ish" mecha shows out there (not necessarily on Netflix) other than Escaflowne? I have the vague inklings of an RPG setting involving giant suits of armor smashing each other with swords, and I'm looking for inspiration.

Oh I forgot, it ain't really all that amazing, but Expelled From Paradise is a mecha movie and is on Netflix.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Colonel posted:

otaku no video is amazing, but it probably helps that i'm into older anime as much as i am into new stuff so i got most of the humor that centered around that

i love the scene where they're all freaking out about the mechanical design in do you remember love

also daicon iv owns and introduced me to elo

Relevant and also cool!

https://twitter.com/colonydrop/status/725792451764445184

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Just keep watching AnoHana.

Then Honey and Clover.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Fsmhunk posted:

What did I just watch? Am I even real?

congratulations

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mederlock posted:

So, what do I watch to fill this Barakamon/Usagi Drop shaped hole in my heart?

Sweetness and Lightning definitely.

ufarn posted:

So am I right in understanding that the Evangelion episodes should preferable watched as Director's Cut?

Yes.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Drifter posted:

I just finished watching Prison School and thought that it was pretty amusing. The super big-titted vice-president girl was kinda overkill as far as the fanservice went, but I thought everything else was pretty fun.

There was a whole minor arc about a girl slowly going insane because of pee/exposure related issues that, granted, were it to happen in the real world would have been horrendous to everyone involved, but I found pretty hilarious in the show.

Is there anything else *similar* in comedic low-brow comedy that maybe isn't so unabashedly ecchi or whatever that anyone'd recommend if Prison School was pretty funny? I had someone tell me Frozen was good, but I don't know anything about it.

Shimoneta.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Haibane Renmei.

Yes, this.

And yeah, if you want manga as well: Yokohama Shopping Trip.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Tabletops posted:

anyway, so we just started S2 of it. Were wondering where to go from here. Any suggestions?

Lovely Complex

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I've heard the earthsea adaptation isn't great. I bet it's better than the live action tv version tho. :v:

Probably just best to stick with the books.

There's a Lensman anime, based off a space opera from the 60s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lensman_series

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

But yeah, also Paranoia Agent.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

Does anyone know if there's any good stuff focused on suicide or depression (either dealing with suicidal thoughts or the aftermath of losing someone else from it)

(I've seen Welcome to the NHK)

I somehow forgot one of my favorite series. It's maybe a little spoilery...but I dunno how else to recommend it so: Haibane Renmei.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

Important: did they keep tuturu in the dub

E: Oh and thank you for the recommendations everyone

Yes, but also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mslZSL9Z84

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm wanting to watch some Ghibli/Miyazaki stuff and I've already watched Spirited Away - what's a good one to watch next?

Princess Mononoke!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Princess Mononoke was the first Ghibli film i got to see in the theater, so that makes it the best. The English dub is pretty good ('cept Billy Bob Thornton) and the script was done by Neil Gaiman, if that's a selling point as well.

It's beautiful, it's got a strong ecological message and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Actually, forget what i just said and watch Kiki's Delivery Service first.

Kiki's, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away are in a constant rotation for my favorite Ghibli film