Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Bad Seafood posted:

Similarly, there's also always Ninja Scroll if you're willing to put up with the anime equivalent of an exploitation film. Includes rape as a plot point though, so if that's a flat door slam then steer clear.

This was one of the first anime I ever saw when I was 12 or 13, a friend had it on VHS and we had absolutely no idea what the gently caress was going on at that bit but I rewatched it a few years later and suddenly felt really awkward that we watched it several times on the big TV in his living room :v:

At least the rapist is an unapologetic complete rear end in a top hat who dies really quickly and the whole thing is full of loving terrible people so the super violence is cool and fun. It's pretty decent but probably hasn't aged that well and nowadays I'd rather watch HnK for some of the old nostalgic 'bad guys getting multilated extremely violently'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Gungrave is an amazing story with one of the dumbest storytelling gimmicks I have ever seen, because it had to tie into a video game (which I've never seen or played, not that it matters) but as far as I can tell actually has almost nothing to do with the game's setting.

It's still really good though!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

It might just be the scan quality but sometimes the grunge in Keyman can get confusing, the shading can get thick enough that it's disorienting. Dorohedoro I feel manages to keep its grunginess "clean", visually dense while still being able to pick out detail, which is important.

I like Necro's low-detail reaction faces, she's just not taking anything at all seriously ever. At least until one of the recent chapters I've read.

Agree with all of these points, Keyman is loving amazing. I preferred kid-Necro in terms of comedy (she reminds me a lot of FMA's Envy both in appearance and being an irreverent rear end in a top hat) but I guess the story has gone to a more serious place now. I thought it was a really nice touch that there's an immediately obvious difference between Misery and Necro based entirely on facial expressions, Necro has seen all the poo poo and loves loving with everyone but Misery is just a cute kid :3:

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 16, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

GoaGaiGar I guess but it's like 49 episodes + OAV and takes a while to get going.

It gets pretty good but if someone has made a "avoiding poo poo filler" guide that would help a lot. Most of the early episodes are really unnecessary and repetitive.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Meguru is really loving good though so if you're going to use it as a standard then you're setting yourself up for disappointment. If more sports manga was like Meguru then I would have read an assload of sports manga.

Ippo isn't bad as a whole (and gets worse later on; the anime covers when it was still good) and has some extremely great moments which are excellent in motion - you should watch it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Everything Burrito posted:

This probably makes me a huge anime philistine but I can never get into stuff that old. :(

I usually have the same problem but I still read AnJ and it was really loving good. It's kind of bizarre because it's drawn like an old newspaper funny pages strip but everyone's a violent, mentally unabalanced rear end in a top hat.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I just finished reading Teppu (which is pretty good by the way though the ending was obviously rushed) and this is probably the most randomly mentally hosed up protagonist in an otherwise fairly normal series I've ever seen.

Can anyone recommend anything similar? Not necessarily sports / fighting related but with a similarly atypical protagonist character for something which would otherwise be pretty straight shonen fare. Not Shamo because that's just regular hosed up.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Davincie posted:

watch classic college romcom/educational series about bacteria, rotting meat, rotting fish, brewing beers and other booze and so on moyashimon

I just started watching this and holy poo poo WHY THE gently caress WOULD YOU EAT FERMENTED SEAGULL INTESTINES :stonk:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

You should really read I Am Missing. It's about a dude who, initially, seems to be just a manga artist failure working at a pizza place, but quickly descends into a hunt for a serial child murderer. It's a supernatural murder mystery that spans quite a long period of time, it's not finished yet but is continuing to be updated. It's one of the most gut-punching series I've been reading, too, it's just brutal and unflinching.

I just read this and it's rediculously good and I want more :(

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I will fight anyone who doesn't think that The Wings of Honneamise is the best looking anime of all time.

Except Redline because gently caress

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Pretty good, not up to FMA:B level (not much is) but the second season has the potential to be much better. My main criticism would be that it suffers from what I like to call Zhuge Liang and Lu Bu Syndrome where the tension gets shitted on a lot due to superhuman feats of logistical / tactical / diplomatic bullshit or fighting prowess respectively from a small handful of characters. When the story focuses on Arslan or the less bullshit members of his entourage it's extremely good.

E:

There's one particular moment of nonsensical bullshit plot invincibility which literally made me stand up and shout at my PC because it was so loving dumb and jarring, see if you can figure out where it was!

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 20, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Droyer posted:

Also, i am sorry but you called Kouji generic and annoying and so i must destroy you

I think there might be entire episodes where he only says "what" and "bastard", he's like purestrain shonen, the only thing stopping him from being generic as gently caress is that he's so god drat angry all the time.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Davincie posted:

worth noting that the blu ray expanded the fanserivce. the whole bath scene is way worse for example
I didn't want to know this :negative:

Nise is by far the worst -monogatari series in every way (even Kaiki is better in later series) but I'm happy to call the toothbrush scene comedy gold rather than creepy and weird, please don't ruin it for me :saddowns:

Droyer posted:

The original Mazinger Z started in 1972. Kouji isn't generic, others are generic for copying him. Learn your history
Point made, generic was a dumb word to use, let's just say he's incredibly bland compared to all the other cool characters :shobon:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

What are the recommendations if I fell into an anime coma in 2014 from Chihayafuru + Ping Pong being too good + need to know what the best couple of animes are from the past year or two (I don't really like actiony or fantasy stuff)

Watch Ping Pong again.

Does Durarara count as action, since most of the time is spent with the characters variously hanging out, scheming, and being jerks to each other? It's a pretty long haul when you add both seasons together but the payoff is good.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The Colonel posted:

also daicon iv owns and introduced me to elo

Hey this is also me, as an aside do ELO have any albums better than Time (where 'better' means more weird electronic music and songs about robots)?

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm not going to watch NATHAT, that's on the Grave of the Fireflies level of stuff I'm not going to watch or read because I don't want to get utterly, totally emotionally destroyed

It's not THAT bad unless you have zero tolerance for bad poo poo happening to children. I like it a lot more than GotF because it lets bad things happen to people who don't deserve it but unlike GotF they have to work through their issues instead of tragically and pointlessly dying because war is poo poo.

Unrelated but who the gently caress is this tiger bikini (oni?) girl who seems to be in half the avatars on this page now? :psyduck:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Xinder posted:

But who is Lum?

I feel like the victim of a grave injustice of ignorance.

I read the lumthread and I feel like my life is a tiny bit better now :unsmith:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Princess Kaguya doesn't do that much in terms of really pushing what you can do with the medium (though there are a few cool scenes that are more experimental) but it does have a fairly unique and beautiful art style. It's Ghibli so you mentioned it indirectly but I thought it was worth a call out.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Shageletic posted:

EDIT: I'm not going to be grossed out by the New World recommendation am I? I have a low tolerance for that stuff.

In terms of "oh god this is making me feel awful I don't want to watch this" I found it very visceral at times but you don't actually see a huge amount of gore. It's just well used. And I'm saying this as someone who doesn't give a poo poo about most suspense / horror anime or movies.

Cake Attack posted:

anyway, watch Kaiba my man, then follow that up with the Tatami Galaxy. also kyousougiga and Kino's Journey.

These are A++ suggestions for anyone. Also watch Turn A Gundam if you can, it's pretty neat and if you liked Evangelion and Planetes I think you'd enjoy it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

esselfortium posted:

Mushishi is like a warm blanket in TV show form. It's often a pretty somber show and occasionally a bit dark, but in spite of that its world is a very cozy and relaxing place to visit for 25 minutes.

It's worth noting that the 2nd season is way darker than the first. It's more of a constant barrage of "nature is going to gently caress you up and your life is insignificant but you can reach a state of enlightenment where this doesn't bother you". Not that the 1st season is sunshine and rainbows but it seemed as though there were fewer happy endings in the 2nd season. Though if you're OK with that I'd argue that it's even better than the first (and better still if you enjoy experiencing the ineffable tragedy of the human condition).

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What really stunned me in season 2 was Ginko is usually the first to try and strike a balance between humans and Mushi (where most Mushi-shi exterminate Mushi when they cause trouble for humans), and yet seeing that that one guy was chopping off women's heads so his plant-born daughter could use their bodies for many many years now just made him kick a lantern over to burn the motherfucker's house down without saying a word. :stare:

Yeah that was a great episode - no matter how seemingly cruel they might seem, Mushi are a part of the natural world, but that guy was just a hosed up evil dude and Ginko was having none of that poo poo

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Haibane Renmei and Mushishi are v good, if you watch and enjoy both of them I would then strongly recommend Tatami Galaxy and Kino's Journey which are both similarly weird but incredibly captivating.

If you like all of these but want something more psychologically damaging and darkly humourous I suggest Welcome to the NHK

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Shame on all of you for no-one recommending Erased :colbert:.

I read the manga and it was good but I heard that the anime had a different ending and was dumb. The manga ending wasn't exactly great anyway so I'm willing to take this with a grain of salt.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

What, the manga ending was great.

I felt like the story had a noticable dip in quality after a super spoilery thing happened (not putting this even in spoiler tags but I'm sure you can guess what I'm talking about) and most of the elements of what made it interesting for me were diminished after that point, in particular as the story reached its conclusion.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Pavlov posted:

Megachile already made a shortlist though. Worst I could say about Tatami Galaxy is the repeated bits might go on 1-2 episodes too long.

I recently rewatched it and drat I didn't remember the "3 women" part dragging so long the first time around, OTOH knowing the whole story opens up a ton of space for subtext in the earlier episodes which added a lot of entertainment value.

Captain Invictus posted:

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is genuinely good though.

Is this a divisive opinion? The worst you can say about P&S is that there's a gently caress ton of crude humour (which if you're not into that, fine) but if you want some occasionally surprisingly sophisticated dumb humour and amazing action scenes it's hard to match. Also probably the best dub in anime history.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Pavlov posted:

I got trouble watching sports anime because it's always about people getting super dedicated to that sport. It's hard to get invested when you keep finding yourself saying "It's just a game jeez". Ping Pong sidesteps that issue with how it does character motivation, but you still got to get past what is the same formula on the surface.

This seems like a bizarre critique unless you either don't care about anything you do purely for self fufilment or entertainment, or have dedicated your entire life to some kind of objective good such as curing cancer or ending world hunger (the former seems more likely than the latter if you're posting about anime on the internet)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Droyer posted:

Seitokai Yakuindomo

I did the exact same thing and watched this on a recommendation after watching Shimoneta and it's even better. Once it gets going it's basically just people no selling dick jokes for 20 minutes straight every episode (that's a good thing btw)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Does Serial Experiments Lain count? I should rewatch that some time.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Mononoke is my fav but Porco Rosso is hella good, even though it made me realise that the bad guy in every Ghibli movie has the same weird shaped head.

E:

Porco Rosso is great because at the end of the day almost everything that happens is due to totally loving stupid machismo and nothing is even slightly important. It's a nice change to the more sombre (or at least somewhat melanchony) tone of most Ghibli.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 19, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I still want Spice & Wolf S3, can we knife fight for it?

(I should really watch Birdy, it gets recommended a lot)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

No idea if you can watch it on Crunchyroll but Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit / Seirei no Moribito gets rolled out a lot in this thread for having a great female lead who is both hypercompetent and has a realistic personality for a woman her age. It's v good although if you're explicitly looking for action it's probably a bit slow paced.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

All the SAC series are amazing IMO but that's because the procedural parts make me slap my hands together like a delighted toddler. They could pretty much just have 22 minutes of the Chief delegating poo poo to people during a crisis and I'd probably enjoy it, especially if they had a random segue into some diplomatic or philosophical minutae.

That one episode where he gets caught up in the guys robbing the wine vault is just perfection.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Double posting b/c someone told me to watch Hibike! Euphonium and at first glance it looks like generic moe crap, OTOH I did like k-on when I finally decided to see what all the fuss was about so I'm not totally immune to that poo poo. Please let me know if I am going to regret this.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Euphonium has basically nothing in common with K-on besides the superficial trappings of schoolgirls, homoeroticism, and music. Much more of a subtle character drama/coming of age story. It is also magnificent, and I strongly encourage you to give it a try.

That's vaguely the impression I was getting, I'm just wildly suspicious of anything with a bunch of girls in a school doing stuff.

Thanks for helping me to not ignore a good show.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Pavlov posted:

Kaiba is good but it gets a little hectic sometimes. Not sure if I'd call it chill.

It has a few pretty laid back moments but yeah the pacing is pretty frantic most of the time

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

KLK is good but Redline is definitely better and doesn't have a rape scene :iia:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Spice and Wolf isn't action most of the time (and is much better when it isn't) but gently caress it, I love that show, and Holo is still one of my favourite characters ever :3:

Though if you watch both that and Twelve Kingdoms you're going to be real sad about all the unfinished stories that you want to see the ends to so bad.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Wolf's Rain is a pretty good suggestion, even though it's one of those times where I feel like a show about the decaying technological superstate would have been more interesting than the one they actually made which is set after 'the fall'.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Kurosawa manga is better because then you get new Kurosawa with hobo philosopy

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I watched Yona recently since it has a lot of recommendations here and my main issue with it is similar to Arslan, where there's so many incredibly rediculously competent characters surrounding the main that it dilutes their own personal transformation from sheltered child into capable adult. Even when Yona does something laudable it doesn't stand out as being noteworthy on anything other than a personal level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Droyer posted:

I think he's criticizing the decision to surround the weak sheltered princess with literal superhuman mystical beings.

This and also the main shitkicker isn't even a magic dragon man. I'd like to see something similar where the fight scenes aren't like a scene from Dynasty Warriors. I guess there's Twelve Kingdoms and Moribito (which are also significantly better than Yona in other ways as well) but it's annoying to see two fairly recent shows with similar themes suffering from exactly the same problem

I'll admit that Yona is less bad for this than the adventures of DARYUN and Persian-themed Zhuge Liang Heroic Legend of Arslan