Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Torquemadras posted:

On entirely unrelated matters: can anybody explain to me what the gently caress is going on with the Monogatari series? I decided to check out the first two episodes, since it's by the Madoka director, and holy poo poo is this gorgeous. And tits. Those are good. (Re: Cutie Honey is cool and good) So far, it seems to be cool dialogue in super-stylish environments + fanservice overload. I might watch it for the style alone, but to be honest, I'm not confident where this show might go, since I usually have a strong dislike for harem tropes and a NOPEI'MTHEFUCKOUTOFHERE reaction to things bordering/consisting of pedo stuff. I'd ask in the Monogatari thread, but it looks like every single poster there has a Monogatari avatar, which does not convince me of their impartial advice :v: This thread is very informative, so any opinions on this? (Note: I will judge you by your avatar)

there's much worse stuff out there in the wide, scary world of anime IMO, but the bolded in monogatari is more than I'm willing to tolerate

Torquemadras posted:

...oh no

I... I had a bad feeling when it turned out the main char has not one, but two younger sisters
And there was a mysterious small girl in the corner of the room

there literally ends up being like 5 elementary/middle school children plus his sisters in the harem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

is Penguindrum any good?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

There are very characteristic styles of writing, characterization, and physical gags that are unique to anime that I find repellent. They are not present in every anime, but in lots of them, and I find it deleterious to my ability to enjoy them.

i don't actually know what this means. like, i guess your parents were shanked in a dark alley before your eyes by giant sweat drops and chibi faces, but other than that? the word 'anime' as an insult doesn't seem to actually mean anything beyond 1.made in japan and 2.i don't like it

not even trying to be hostile, i'd legitimately like to know what exactly you mean by this. do you mean shows being made for children? melodrama? bad exposition? is it literally just "I'm really loving mad about chibi faces and sweat drops"? a lot of those things i think most normal people would just call 'bad', or describe what specifically they don't like instead of rolling it all into a boogie man golem of "ANIME!!!!!!!!!!! :argh:", and i don't agree that they're not present in lots of other media, except maybe the chibi faces and sweat drops. worse in anime maybe, but this thing where people throw a fit over mildly obnoxious tropes in anime is absolutely as unique to the medium as the tropes themselves are

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 2, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Pavlov posted:

Only if you can stand 50 episodes of japanese slapjack.

who let this guy into the thread?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Pavlov posted:

But wouldn't the people watching K-ON have to stop touching their little things in order to reflect on them?

:yikes:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Nipponophile posted:

Early 2000s anime is kind of an odd duck. You have to take into account external circumstances to get the full picture. Animation has always been a tedious and expensive process. Back in the 80s and 90s, the Japanese economy was riding the bubble, and luxury expenditures like anime were having money thrown at them hand over fist. It was more common for a TV series to run 50+ episodes, or for an OVA to have a budget that translated directly into higher quality.

Then, in the late 90s, the bubble burst, and there's this brief period where anime budgets are slashed to the bone and the quality reflects it. Within a few years, studios begin to adapt, and they start to rely on newer tools like CGI and digital inbetweening. While they can't get the budgets they used to, they became able to do more with the budgets they were getting.

Age by itself has very little to do with the quality of a work. Disney's Fantasia or the Fleischer Studios' Superman cartoons are about as good as animation ever gets, and both of those are over 70 years old at this point.

early 2000s gainax anime is IMO the best looking animation in anime? i guess 2004 isn't really early 2000s maybe but diebuster is what i mean

no, i don't think the bubble had anything to do with animation quality except in the most general sense of there not being a market for huge disney-like feature films, and by the way the bubble burst in 1992, not 'the late 90s'. declining budgets in some kind of vague linkage with GDP is commonly cited by people with vague, poorly sourced just-so explanations of why anime is bad but i don't think it's actually a thing. certainly i've never seen any hard numbers on budgets over time ever and i don't believe that the average direct-to-video TV anime in 1994 had a meaningfully bigger animation budget than today

part of the problem is how flooded with shows/productions the industry is. but that doesn't have anything directly to do with the size of the market or Japan's GDP or whatever

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 19, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

female characters being impossibly stupid shounen protagonists is a step forwards for gender equality

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

I'm looking for a fantasy show that has a witch girl with short hair and glasses. I swear I've seen it somewhere before, in passing (either that or that character archetype is rather popular).

I don't think it was the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, though.

the grimgar show from last season? it was bad, but really well animated

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Xinder posted:

But who is Lum?

I feel like the victim of a grave injustice of ignorance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urusei_Yatsura

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What are other (shonen) manga from the late 80s like Dragon Ball but not cyberpunk, or like sports/boxing stuff like Baki?

edit: Not sure why to restrict to shonen, never mind that

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 14, 2018

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The wiki is down, though that’s probably been posted already

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What's a good shounen romcom/harem series that is relatively un-creepy? I read a little of Nisekoi and that seemed pretty inoffensive, something like that. This is more for manga than anime, but there's no manga recommendation thread

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Fun Times! posted:

Is there a rehost of ADTRWiki? The original says the domain has been sold.

adtrw.nulani.net

I asked about it in the ask the mod thread

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Also, Quintuplets is great, thanks

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So I gave my copy of Spirit Circle to someone to read and they loved it and now want more recommendations. They’re not really anime/manga fans but also not anime haters, they seem to have tried various series over the years and not enjoyed them all that much but kept an admirably impartial attitude towards the medium. So what are the best shonen manga similar to that? I sort of feel like I spoiled them by giving them literally the best one first, but oh well. Besides the standard shonen jump stuff are there any hidden gems with a similar tone in either shonen or seinen?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Colonel posted:

tell them to watch planet with

I heard that was more juvenile than Spirit Circle, is that accurate?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Also, how about instead of “just like Spirit Circle” change the request to “short, complete series”. Maybe 10 volumes or less

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Julias posted:

Is it being action oriented mandatory?

No

Nipponophile posted:

Do you have any specifics as to why they loved Spirit Circle and why they didn't like the other things they watched?

It sounded like they had read cyberpunk stuff like GITS and also historical fiction stuff like Otoyomegatari, recommended by other people. I think they just turn out to like shonen melodrama actually, so I’m looking for shonen series that are of a finite length basically. I also told them to read MHA, but they also mentioned at one point finding the unending type of series intimidating, hence trying to find short ones

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 24, 2019

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What are the best historical shonen series? Rurouni Kenshin and Golden Kamui are what I know of off the top of my head

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

There’s a seinen/shonen adventure series from the late 70s/early 80s about like a blonde guy, with a fairly weird/old looking art style, that is famous but I can’t remember the name at all and can’t find it through google and MAL and stuff. What is it, or am I just insane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Endorph posted:

space adventure cobra?

Yep, that's it. Thanks