Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im gonna say aoi hono/blue blazes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Zas posted:

It's also one of Anno's all time favs so I wanna check it out for that reason alone.

I'd love to see you run some kind of 80s anime event here, I'm sure your knowledge of film theory would give it an interesting dynamic

we did aim for the ace a month or so ago

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

a dude who can't handle fanservice isn't going to make it through nise

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

well fwiw, nise has the most fanservice by far. see for yourself though if you want to trust this untrustworthy goyim

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

barakamon feels

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

strongest man kurosawa, one outs and stop using anime as a bad word when literally all you're talking about is anime

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

usagi drop, also read sweetness and lightning on their reader

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

mabels big day posted:

What are some good normie animes?

you're not making sense man

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

just look at top rated shonen

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

theres an anime movie lets watch thread somewhere in the last few pages you should check out, people posted a bunch in there

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I found it for you becausr im incredibly nice, theres another one where they get actually watched but theres less movies in there
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736480&perpage=40

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im looking for good, finished and relatively long (not like 400 chapters but between 50-200 is ok) shonen or shoujo to read on the plane. little to no fanservice

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Droyer posted:

Taiyou ni ie is very good.

Allarion posted:

Nurarihyon no Mago
Mahoraba
Taiyou no Ie
NG Life

Namtab posted:

Up yourself to the seinen game and read acclaimed manga K-ON

read taiyou no ie and k-on already :P

i'll put a few of the others on my phone tho thanks

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

none of it happens but the last 3 episodes are extremely boring anyway

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its a slice of life for sure

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

As far as I know, Lupin is the only crime-drama caper anime. I remember asking around for similar shows to Fujiko Mine but everyone drew blanks. Well, except for all of the other Lupin shows.

what about nerima daikon brothers, does that count

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Some chapters are excellent. Other chapters are garbage. It's flip-flopping between them, like a dissected fish with a human head graphically grafted onto it flopping around on the floor, gasping for breath.

actually it all owns

only problem is that i wish it went a bit softer on some of its characters but that kinda goes against its themes :P

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Zaphiel posted:

I'm just about finished Togari Boushi no Memoru, and I'm wondering if there's any other anime in that vein. Cute aliens/fantasy creatures going on cute adventures and having fun, with no Japanese high schools in sight.

I've already seen a Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar.

Bottle Fairies? I heard the ending was awful.

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/hakumei-to-mikochi-r16297

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

watch classic college romcom/educational series about bacteria, rotting meat, rotting fish, brewing beers and other booze and so on moyashimon

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

zipang has time travel. ymmv on the quality

tatami galaxy isn't really time travel, but it has a lot of the same themes of repeating something over and over until you fix it

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

MSPaintClock posted:

I finally watched all of Legend of Galactic Heroes, it really was amazing.
But where do I go from here?

Someone recommend me something new- here are the precious Animes I love:

Kemonozume (My favorite ever.)
Tatami Galaxy
Mind Games
Ping Pong
Basically everything with Masaaki Yuasas name attached to it

Miyazaki Films
Hosoda Films

Mononoke
Kids on the Slope
Ghost in the Shell
Samurai Champloo
FLCL
Death Note
Trigun
Cowboy BeBop
Space Dandy
Berserk
Flowers of Evil
Sword Art Online

I like good story, animation and artwork. Even if not's anime if you think it fits my interests go for it.

edit: I might try to find where I left off in Monster and finish that, but save me the trouble and just recommend me something new.

SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO 2199

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

don't watch gargantia. you're probably going to stumble upon it because of the madoka connection, but its really bad

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the artstyle looks old

has anyone read
Youko x Boku SS

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I would say that's one of the ones everyone knows

I guess to be more specific since my request wasn't very helpful what are the good anime movies that aren't
- Studio Ghibli
- Satoshi Kon
- Redline
- Akira
- Grave of the Fireflies
- Cowboy Bebop
- Girl Who Leapt Through Time
- 5cm Per Second

(because those are the ones I've already seen)

have you seen the other mamoru hosoda films?
a letter to momo?
mind game and other yuaasa anime?
the saint young men movie?
You Are Umasou?
tekkon kinkreet?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

watch space battleship yamato 2199, which you might think is 26 episodes and a movie but is actually 7 movies and a movie

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sarrisan posted:

I just finished Hunter-x-Hunter the other day and I'm surprised how much I enjoyed it. It was my first very long series, and also my first straight-shonen. Can anyone recommend another longish series that I might have overlooked for being too mainstream? I gave Fairy Tail the 1-episode treatment and was not very impressed.

jojo's?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

howl's is not a good movie

the others are good imho

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Astro Ambulance posted:

The only bad Ghibli film is Earthsea, any others are just "less good".

ocean waves sucks rear end

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Brasseye posted:

I just finished Usagi Drop and while different to any other series Ive seen I really enjoyed it. Can anyone recommend something similar?

what part? the parenting? check the single dad thread. the general mood? josei is the keyword then

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you're insane

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

what makes it bad? you're the one who called it bad first

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i read that and its not horrible but the translation is bad to the point of being unreadable and the random elf in a serious manga kept bugging me, but good job writing something off you haven't tried

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Radio Spiricom posted:

i picked up the first volume of monster at barnes and noble the other day and i read six or seven chapters and i was hooked and plan to continue it. the problem is that i realized later on its like 150+ chapters and it seems like a pretty drastic undertaking. i'm already worried about my visual media consumption habits as is and don't need to add to them.

i guess what i'm looking for is manga recommendations for similar things that aren't as lengthy. doesn't *need* to be psychological drama/horror. i'd prefer seinen i suppose but i don't really care about demographic distinctions. i don't know anything about the technical aspects of comics the way i do with movies/tv and can pretty much be sold on the goodwill of the storytelling alone

some other stuff i plan on reading but have put on the backburner: berserk, all other urasawa, all fukamoto

franken fran, holyland, punpun, akira (is very different from the movie after a while), say hello to blackjack

thats just some random seinen that are either psychological dramas or horrors of medium length

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i want to watch a high energy action series that isn't a shonen that takes forever

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i'll check out Kyousogiga since i've already seen the other two, thanks guys

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

girls und panzer

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hellsing ultimate

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

watch fwiggen girls und panzer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

worth noting that the blu ray expanded the fanserivce. the whole bath scene is way worse for example