Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

legend of the legendary heroes is a decent fantasy anime but they went with an anime original ending that didnt resolve all the threads so they could have a season 2 later, and, well, they dindt have a season 2 later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ulio posted:

Any Manga like Goblin Slayer but without all the graphic rape going on? I don't mind dark fantasy but don't really need to see characters get raped every few chapters.
if you want darkish fantasy action, claymore? and vinland saga is a historical setting but it'd fit too tonally.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tokelau All Star posted:

I've watched JoJo, caught up on My Hero Academia, One Punch Man, Mob Psycho 100, and hundreds of episodes of DB/Naruto/One Piece. What is a good shonen that I can watch on Crunchyroll or Amazon Prime? Gintama?

hunter x hunter, yu yu hakusho, fullmetal alchemist brotherhood

Endorph fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 10, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

unstucker posted:

Please, help! What anime is it? Who knows?

Darling in the franxx

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Baloogan posted:

um so are there any more workplace anime like newgame and the one about the girls who work in anime with the doughnuts shirobaka

like, slice of life in reality, protagonists out of high school sort of thing
girlish number is good though one of the main characters is high school aged, but considering thats not uncommon in the va industry and the other characters are college-aged or older i think it works fine

genshiken isnt about a workplace, just a college anime club, but the main characters are adults and it is fairly slice-of-lifey

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hocus Pocus posted:

I've been on a bit of a manga tear recently and was wondering if ya'll had any good recommendations for space opera and/or mecha, manga series?

When I google I mostly get suggested LoGH, Code Geass, and Gundam anime series, which are good examples of what I'm after, I just happen to want manga.
towards the terra

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe garo: vanishing line? It's kind of a dark action roadtrip thing. it's a bit slow in spots but i liked the cast a lot and it had great fights, though it wasn't like a straight action thing, like I said towards the second half it almost developed into a roadtrip story. Still a good amount of action, though.

You might be into blood blockade battlefront too, it's a mostly-episodic shonen comedy with some stellar action when it goes for a full action episode, though the first season is better in that regard than the second since the director changed. It's got some really great gags and a stellar setting. It's by the creator of trigun if you've ever seen that. Actually, if you've never seen it, trigun would be a good rec too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imo the second season is a huge step down narratively, though there were some good individual episodes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffles Inc. posted:

hey friends

my wife and I just finished 'Kids on the Slope' in a one day binge. it was beautiful, life affirming and wonderful! also basically the only anime my wife has ever liked

i'd appreciate any slice of life style shows that kinda flow along those lines: soap opera-y, etc--doesn't have to be music based or a period piece or anything like that, just kinda in that general genre

much appreciated!
sound! euphonium

AnoHana

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Seven Deadly Sins is stock shonen with a few decent characters. If you're a huge Arthurian nerd or took classes on it at some point there's some incredibly deep cuts it makes that might be interesting, but it never really plays around with those concepts enough to read as anything other than B-grade shonen. Not bad, but forgettable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

noir has the best gunfights of the girls with guns trilogy but is probably the least 'good' of the three. el cazador is the best of the three but has the worst gunfights.

gun gale online is a video game set one but it has some really good gunfights if you're okay with game mechanics like every bullet having an obvious tracer round/some indestructible terrain occasionally being used being a factor in them

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 26, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

Noir has loving awful gunfights. Saying it is the best of the trilogy is literally damning with faint praise.
noir has pretty bad gunfights but i think 99% of el cazador's gun fights are just ellis pointing her completely out of place stylistically glock at someone while frowning at them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cazador is good imo, it has a nice relationship between the leads and a decent setting. Its not really good for the reasons the trilogy was created, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I just finished the first two parts of Muv Luv and was wondering if there were any anime or manga (or anything really) that has the same 'people just living their lives while huge events they don't have any real involvement in happen' feel that Unlimited does?

sora no woto, kind of? the characters mostly exist on the fringes of a big war that's been going on forever, and though the plot picks up a bit, they're never really directly involved in things. as a group. Especially since they're military musicians and not really soldiers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I genuinely don't know if that exists in anime. Are you sure you can't be sold on high schoolers/college-age students?
lol

The_Frag_Man posted:

Can someone recommend me a realistic drama / romance series about adults. Like a workplace setting, etc. Not school / university.
Planetes takes place in a sci-fi setting but it's a very, very down to earth sci-fi setting. There's no space battles or anything. The main characters are space garbagemen and its mostly just about the logistics and politics of a near-future setting where space flight is viable. Mild amounts of romance.

Space Brothers is about two brothers who want to be astronauts, one who became one straight out of college and another who's been drifting from dead end job to dead end job for most of his life with that goal in the back of his mind. It's like 100 episodes but it's good. No real romance in it, though, but I feel like you'd be into it.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is one you might have to lean into a bit, it's about an ancient Japanese form of storytelling called Rakugo, part play and part stand-up routine, almost, but if you're willing to look past the cultural gap or even embrace it it's a very good story about a dying art, the people still practicing it, and their relationships. It's very much a drama, though, so be prepared for that.

Knorth posted:

Nana maybe?
Nana's main characters are college age, but not in college. So, maybe?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

What's the closest there is for an anime about irredeemable scumbags played for cringe comedy? Sorta like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I've been rewatching that show and I was wondering if there's something like it. I already watch Gintama, which contains plenty of jerkfaces, but nobody in Gintama is as reprehensible as The Gang (or at least that lasts as long).
Girlish Number?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Oh god, I forgot about Girlish Number! It's from the guy who wrote Oregairu, right? I just might give it a watch.
Yeah, it's by the oregairu author. It's got some clear affection for the industry and there's a few characters who manage to come across sympathetic, but the main character is a lazy, egotistical person whose character arc is mostly just learning not to be an active detriment to the people around here, and there's plenty of side characters who are just basically terrible people who get no come uppance. It's really funny, it's got some decent insider talk, the characters manage to be pretty interesting even with only twelve episodes to go around, it's good stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

coincidentally, yurikuma is the worst anime ive ever seen

anyway some people like it some people don't, if you want something closer to utena/penguindrum then it's not by ikuhara but staright revue is airing this season and is by a guy who did a lot of stuff on penguindrum and it has very ikuhara-esque direction/ideas without feeling like a stale copy or anything, watch the fansubs and not the official hidive subs tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id say og yugioh is decent shonen up through the end of battle city, minus the filler the anime inserts. yugioh gx has a lot of hills and valleys, some good arcs mixed with some bad arcs, but the last couple arcs are so crazy that i kind of love them. 5ds starts insanely strong then it turned out one of the writers was involved with a cult and a cult is a major plotpoint in the show so they just veer hard right into a tournament show because yikes. i could never get into zexal. arc-v starts really strong then falls off a cliff. vrains exists.

in conclusion: just watch duel monsters until you lose interest, or watch the first 50ish eps of 5ds and call it squared.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

This thread has been dead for a while, but I still need recommendations since Im still just basically dipping my toes into this.

I finished FMA Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop, Konosuba, and Mob Psycho 100. I also just got caught up on My Hero Academia, which is pretty awesome, so now Im looking for something else to watch in between episodes.

I know its a weird cross section of shows but Im hoping its enough to at least point me in another direction.
Samurai Champloo is by a lot of the same creative staff as Bebop and has a fairly similar tone, though it's closer to the goofier episodes of Bebop than the more serious ones. Still, there are a few serious moments in Champloo. Soul Eater would probably fit your tastes too, it's an action thing with a mildly horror aesthetic and some really distinctive character designs. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is, well, bizarre, but it's got really great characters and fun action, though it's a lot more about how each action the characters take effects the next action and the escalation of powers until they're so absurdly specific that a literal mouse is a threat to our heroes because his power counters theirs, versus like, straight up fight animation.

Chaika's also kind of a goofy fantasy thing, like Konosuba, though it's way less of a parody and more just a fantasy adventure thing with some good gags but still has a plot and action and such, it takes itself way more seriously than Konosuba even with it having some gags and goofiness. Still, you might enjoy it as a middle-ground between Konosuba and shonen adventure stuff, since it doesn't take itself completely seriously.

Furnaceface posted:

e: If Im looking for something a little more grown up/bloody would Hellsing or Parasyte be worth a go?
Hellsing is cool but it gets fairly edgy, Nazis and the KKK and all. If you're okay with that kinda kinda grindhouse cheese it's a good look, though. Baccano would also be a good choice, it's a very energetic prohibition-era mobster thing, even a little Tarantino in tone, though it jumps around between three different periods in time and reveals how the three stories it's telling correlate slowly over time, so you have to be paying a bit of attention. It's not super complex or anything, though. Black Lagoon is also a really good choice if you want guns and violence.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What are more series in the vein of Overlord or One Punch Man where the main character(s) is hilariously OP compared to everyone else? Tonally they're kinda different, but both have what I''m looking for
the unlimited hyoubu kyousuke? it's basically about anime magneto, a guy with broken superpowers who wants to create a society for people with superpowers where they can live free of oppression/fear from people without powers. it's a spinoff of zettai karen children but it works fine as its own thing, don't worry about watching zkr before it or anything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, I'd never heard of either of these shows and I started up Zettai Karen Children and it's surprisingly rad? It's half comedy, half the-horrors-of-being-governmentally-owned-psychic-children, complete with the handler of the three main characters in the first episode referring to them as animals and having their governmentally-mandated limiters be in the shape of collars. (The fourth main character, the new handler, immediately gets it cleared so he can give them fashionable accessories instead. ... It's still unsettling.)

zettai karen children has some issues but it's pretty decent honestly. the red one is the best

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

five minutes into zettai karen children they start joking about how much better it would be if the explicitly pre-teen characters had bigger tits so it'd be hotter when they're molested by snakes

so yes, it definitely has issues
yep! the early stuff sucks a lot!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

ok, so, i've noticed that a lot of the shows i like follow a weird formula. like, a really loving oddly specific one, honestly.

- two protags, one relatively passive, one seriously hosed in the head, who end up tied together somehow and usually have some weird past history together
-- sometimes they bone down, sometimes they end up hating each other, sometimes neither or both
- some sort of extremely grim high-stakes setting in which the protags must kill to survive
-- with just barely enough horror elements in the setting to qualify as such despite being like 85% action
- a linear progression of increasingly insane boss fights for the protags to go through, usually requiring the passive protag to develop a badass streak
- a tone that constantly jumps around between completely dead serious and surreal comedy
- usually a bittersweet ending, sometimes an outright downer or happy ending but not often

just off the top of my head, this applies to Mirai Nikki, Devilman Crybaby, Deadman Wonderland, Angels of Death, Killing Bites, Hellsing, and basically every single thing Nasu has ever written (definitely Kara no Kyoukai, Tsukihime, and the HF route of Fate/stay)

this isn't necessarily a rec request (though i def like shows that follow this weird formula and would appreciate more), but... does anyone know what the patient zero for this would be? or if this is some sort of codified genre? because it's starting to get a little silly how many of these things feel bizarrely goddamn similar to each other
makai tensho, a 1967 novel with a ton of film and anime both directly based on it and inspired by it, basically hits all these notes. the only real difference is that the second protag/love interest doesn't really do a ton.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

ha ha ha holy poo poo so Ninja Resurrection/Samurai Reincarnation is basically patient zero for this :shittypop:

that's not something I saw coming, so I guess this genre would basically be "Makai Tensho clones"?
now wait until you trace the line from makai tensho to shin megami tensei to persona, and the line from makai tensho to fate/stay night to like every visual novel made in the past decade

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

So I think I want to change things up a bit. Whats a good happy show that is focused more on adults instead of kids/teenagers.
Shirobako is an anime about an anime studio. It has work related drama but it's pretty optimistic about the whole endeavor of a group of people coming together to make art, and has some really great jokes, so I'd call it fairly upbeat overall, even if it isn't afraid to let the characters get into the weeds.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

girlish number has a bit of it too

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

content posted:

Lookin' for more cute feel-good girly anime.

Stuff like:
Yuru Camp
Flip Flappers
K-On
New Game
Flying Witch

Preferably not super fan servicey.
yama no susume
hugtto precure (or any precure really)
watch all 100 episodes of aikatsu stars, motherfucker
little witch academia

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Knorth posted:

The second season of Amanchu was good. It has problems towards the end if you're particularly invested in Pikari/Teko romantically but it's still just as sweet and feel-good as the first season otherwise
lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Knorth posted:

This feels disingenuous though, the crush is barely a subplot let alone something that's championed by the show. It's a girl being indulgent to a kid with a crush on her friend
she literally says she'll help him with his dumb crush and then goes out of her way to downplay her feelings compared to his

s1 of the anime was blatantly framed as romantic (admittedly the manga was not so heavy on this framing, but we're talking about the anime here) between the two leads, so in that context, yes, it is extremely hosed up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

I just binge read Grand Blue over a day and watched the anime over another. Are there other series about whacky university hijinks out there? Seems most stuff is high-school-based.
Genshiken is about a college anime club. Some of the gags are kinda rooted in early 2000s anime fandom with less of the edges filed off (they mention weird hentai at least once an episode) and the series basically starts out good, gets really good, then kind of slowly tapers off even if there's still some decent material, but the character development is pretty strong and there's some really good back and forths.

Also they use actual guilty gear gameplay footage a ton so it has that going for it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pondex posted:

How grimdark is Goblin Slayer exactly?

I liked the manga but the "goblins are rapists"-theme was a bit heavy handed.

e: what I liked about the manga was how Guts-from-berserk-like the main character is. Just a single-minded, driven dude who is constantly in over his head. Are there any other shows like that?
Votoms is an old mecha series but it might be up your alley, mechs are tanksized in it and theres an episode where a biker gang with some molotovs and a few shotguns nearly destroy the protags mech, mechs arent really overpowered in the setting or anything, so it still has that in over his head vibe.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

Did the Parasyte anime cover the whole manga or did they stop prematurely or just make up something to fit the number of available episodes?

I remember enjoying it overall but as soon as it got into the finale arc it was significantly less interesting
It covered the whole thing, the manga just had a weak ending oto.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spikes32 posted:

So I haven't seen much anime in a long time and was hoping for some more recent recommendations. I'm not looking for anything that's super romantic or just dramas in real life. Shows I've liked in the past are

Yu Yu Hakusho
Fairy tale
Code geass
Ruroni kenshin
Full metal alchemist
Bleach
It seems like you generally like action shonen, so:

Hunter x Hunter's original manga is by the same author as Yu Yu Hakusho, and the 2011 anime adaptation of it is very good.

Trigun is in a similar mold as Kenshin in terms of being 90s action stuff. It's wild west/sci-fi themed and its early stuff is more comedic but it still has a very similar texture.

Soul Eater is a really stylish action series in terms of its art direction and has a pretty likable cast. Plus some of the jokes are great.

Gurren Lagann is a very bombastic mecha action/comedy thing that you might enjoy if you thought the robots in Geass were cool and want a more exaggerated version of that with a tone closer to stuff like fairy tail.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Are there any other good shows in the vein of black lagoon or jormungand? IDK why but for some reason the contemporary quasi-military theme really appeals to me.

phantom: requiem for the phantom maybe

besides that everything dav mentioned

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

help

I have a very long flight and I thought it might be good to have a shounen to watch since they're fast paced and you can just keep watching for hours on end. I haven't watched any shounen since Bleach and Naruto when I was a kid, except for Hunter x Hunter which I did really like. What's the next best thing after HxH?
Yu Yu Hakusho is by the same author as HxH, he made it before HxH, so if you liked HxH it's fun seeing all the ideas that got reused or tweaked between the two series. Plus it's just good shonen on its own.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Aumanor posted:

I'm in the mood for something dark and depressing, but not necessarily pure misery porn. Any suggestions?

Casshern Sins is great for that, it's mostly just the protagonist wandering around a broken world that he helped break. One of my favorite OPs, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CekDIGxNprE

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

I forgot how great this op was
yeah theres a lot of talk about like, well animated ops and stuff that syncs to the music, and casshern sins' is kinda just stills but between the intro bit and how well the song fits the show itself its kind of only beaten by lain in terms of how well it sets the tone for the show

like you could kinda just show that op to someone and they'd be able to guess the gist of casshern sins' atmosphere and themes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

is there like a slice of life show that has rad fight scenes every episode? like if i want cool fights but outside of that i'd prefer seeing characters chill out and interact in ways that aren't training arcs
the first half of evangelion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ufarn posted:

It's the 2015 version (ufotable) I'm watching atm on Netflix. I'm pretty much watching season 2 because I'm so mad at how little action there's been.
You aren't going to get a fate series that's nothing but non-stop action. Apocrypha is the closest since it has twice the number of fighting capable characters but it still has multiple episodes of just people talking. Fate/Zero has a pretty action-y first season but a really slow second season.