Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Should I watch Rose of Versailles? I have enjoyed both Utena and Le Chevalier D'Eon and I know both are heavily influenced by this show, but I know relatively little about it other than that it's A. Gorgeous and B. Focuses on crossdressing swordfighters in Ancien Regime France.

The show would be the second-oldest anime I'd have seen (it came out in 1980, only the original Gundam is older of what I've seen). It will also be the first series I've tackled since LOGH so I am very ready for court politics. Does this series hold up? 40 Eps is a real commitment (maybe 3-4 months).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I want to watch a Gundam series again. It's been too long.

Gundam series I have seen:

UC:

Original, Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, 08th MS Team, War in the Pocket, Stardust Memories, F91, IGLOO, and Unicorn (which I need to rewatch, given that I saw it strung out over multiple years and had forgotten what it was about by the end of it).

Alternate timelines:

G Gundam, Gundam Wing and Endless Waltz, Turn A Gundam (comes highly recommended if you're at all patient, by the way...great but slow to become great).

I'm considering one of: X, 00, rewatching Unicorn straight through, or the new currently-airing series. I'd tried Victory before and didn't get very far, and I haven't heard good things about Seed or Age, though I haven't looked that closely into either.

Which of these routes would be best for me?

My inclination is to watch X because it, along with Victory, are the last two pieces of pre-2000 Gundam I've never seen and would take me one step closer to finishing that time period.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Appreciate both of those responses.

I think I'll watch Thunderbolt (wasn't really aware of it), and then X. Was planning on holding off on Origin until more of it was out. I don't want to get pulled into another Unicorn situation where I forget everything between installments and keep going "What was Laplace's Box, again?"

X is at least reasonable length due to its early cancellation. A ~40 episode series is a lot less intimidating to me than a ~50 ep series.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Just wanted to thank this thread for pushing me to watch Gundam X. 4 eps in and I think it's quite good. It's not quite as...fast-paced as other Gundam series are, but that's fine. It's going to be as hard as Turn A was for remembering all the names, though.

EDIT: I love how continuity-minded it is even if it isn't in the UC. It's the first non-UC show I've seen that references Newtypes, uses the original colony design, and even keeps the "Mobile Suit = giant humanoid robot, Mobile Armor = giant non-humanoid robot" distinction.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 10, 2016

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
How is Ikuhara's bear show, Yurikuma Arashi? Utena is a top 5 of all time series for me and I mostly liked Penguindrum.