Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

So far, it seems to be cool dialogue in super-stylish environments + fanservice overload. I might watch it for the style alone, but to be honest, I'm not confident where this show might go, since I usually have a strong dislike for harem tropes and a NOPEI'MTHEFUCKOUTOFHERE reaction to things bordering/consisting of pedo stuff. I'd ask in the Monogatari thread, but it looks like every single poster there has a Monogatari avatar, which does not convince me of their impartial advice :v: This thread is very informative, so any opinions on this? (Note: I will judge you by your avatar)

you would stop watching in nisemonogatari, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm liking nise so far because it breaks free of the formula bake establishes to a degree and expands the world by adding new characters like kaiki and the exorcist pair

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The talky is the point and katangatari owns

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Torquemadras is platinum mad

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

I can't imagine anyone who regularly participates in this forum doesn't have any idea on what the guy means. There are a lot of lovely tropes that are 90% related specifically to anime that are horrendously dumb. And it isn't just "chibi faces" or "sweat drops". It includes pandering moe bullshit, the propensity for the high school setting regardless of its storytelling usefulness, the advent of the protag harem, and a bunch of other crap.

When people use "anime" as a pejorative, I get it because that poo poo exists and gets on my nerves, too. The only difference is I'm willing to ignore it for the parts I do like. And I totally understand if someone else isn't.

moe is good though

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

owarimonogatari, first episode of new gundam was solid

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Caruta owns

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I mean even outside of chihayafuru karuta is a pretty interesting sport for how unique it is and how rooted in Japanese culture it is. Going "ugh slapjack dumb" makes me think you are the dumb one

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Namtab posted:

im gonna respond seriously and unironically to the guy making the chihayafuru jokes as though he is posting seriously

i was responding to the other guy

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Durarara!! is good whenever it isn't focusing on Mikado, Anri, and Kida.

mikado's cool now

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

not really

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I read the manga and liked it

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

one piece is worth reading but not watching, i don't think any other of the 100+ episode shonens are worth watching unless there's one im forgetting

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

katanagatari, eureka seven

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

don't buy Clannad for 50 bucks, the anime is better and 50 bucks is a brutal price point

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

nah it's more of a romantic melodrama? the first season is good but not great, basically a high school romance with some harem elements (the vn is a dating sim). it stands out mainly because it's funny and the main character is well characterized instead of being a bland cypher. also Kyo Ani direction

the second season, After Story, is why people mainly care about it because it follows the life of the main character and his girlfriend after they graduate and beyond. it's very good and sad imo, although some people would call it emotional manipulative in the ways it is sad. i don't entirely agree since i think it lands, but it's that sorta show, if i am making any sense

when i say melodrama i mean in the sad backstories and tearjerking events way

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the game and anime are very similar. the game cuts some small stuff for time, but nothing that really feels like much of a loss. it's one of the few things out there where I don't think there's a better version, both are about equal in quality with their own strengths and weaknesses (the VN has better art, Okabe's internal monologue and alternate endings; the anime has strong direction and better pacing).

they're similar enough I might give it some time after finishing the game

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Also its pretty bad as far as battle of wits types show. Only the second game is clever at all

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you'd probably like Parasyte a lot given your tastes

other shows i think you might like: Erased, Attack on Titan, Fate/Zero

If you don't mind mecha Gurren Lagann and Iron Blooded Orphans

Since you liked Yowapeda Chihayafuru is another really good sports show

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Chihayafuru

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

Can't watch it on Crunchyroll,probably because I live in Canada. :canada:

wait does canada actually have different licensing on CR then America?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yona is really good although kinda just a long ad for the also really good manga. Snow White is very cute but there isn't really much of a serialized fantasy plot, it's just romance in a sorta fantasy setting (there isnt any magic or anything, it's a mostly European pastiche). Rokka is good but has a bad ending.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Of Durarara? Yeah, it's good. You can definitely tell that they were condensing stuff in some episodes though. Also the animation seemed considerably worse. But if you liked what you saw of the first season, it's more of that.

i feel the condensing just made it faster paced to its benefit, but that may just be me

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i like world end econimica

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the main character is deliberately immature and not very likeable at the beginning and is occasionally kinda bad in those ways, but they're not qualities I would really associate with the work as a whole. It's fair if you don't want to deal with that kind of protagonist though

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i wouldn't read clannad over watching it tho

also devil on the string sucks imo

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Violet_Sky posted:

Can anyone recommend me some Japanese history manga/anime to view?

yae no sakura is cool

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

littleorv posted:

Recommend me some feels anime. I want to cry like a little girl

Clannad

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Hi, I've been meaning to get around to watching FMA:B for literal years. What does it do differently from the original (besides "it follows the Manga all the way through", obviously) to make it worth watching? Or skipping, as the case may be?

The manga is an entirely different story, and diverges like a quarter into the show. The different story is better written, with better character development, a better ending, and just better everything.

read the manga though

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Alright, so another list of potential series I've either heard about or seen pop up in the random series list that I'd like to ask if they're worth reading or not.

Accel World
Akame ga Kill
Big Order
Boku to Majo no Jikan
Doubutsu no Oishasan
Gisele Alain
Hajiotsu.
Hohzuki Island
Koi Inu
Ore no Ko desu ka?
Perfect Twin
QED
ReLIFE

No major details needed, just whether they're good, or go all trainwreck-ey, or are just bad series in general, etc.

no
no
no
dunno, probably not
dunno
yes
yes
no
dunno
dunno
dunno
dunno
no

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

who the hell recommends the movie series and the new series over the manga

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Whatever nichibros is actually called

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Drifter posted:

I just finished watching Prison School and thought that it was pretty amusing. The super big-titted vice-president girl was kinda overkill as far as the fanservice went, but I thought everything else was pretty fun.

There was a whole minor arc about a girl slowly going insane because of pee/exposure related issues that, granted, were it to happen in the real world would have been horrendous to everyone involved, but I found pretty hilarious in the show.

Is there anything else *similar* in comedic low-brow comedy that maybe isn't so unabashedly ecchi or whatever that anyone'd recommend if Prison School was pretty funny? I had someone tell me Frozen was good, but I don't know anything about it.

golden boy

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Feel free to skip the non-Kaiki parts of Second Season. Thank you.

no

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

if it's anything like the manga relife is mediocre as all heck and not something i'd recommend to someone specifically not looking for a show set in high school

anyway, watch Kaiba my man, then follow that up with the Tatami Galaxy. also kyousougiga and Kino's Journey.

this is ignoring previous recommendations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

no

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

AnoHito posted:

This one. And make sure you watch the dub.

:whitewater:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Howl's Moving Castle and Gankutsuou: The Conte of Monte Cristo

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Colonel posted:

oh, there's an anime of deltora quest, also. it exists literally because, according to the author of the books, her kids loved that japanese animation stuff

I watched like 30 episodes, it's fun for a while if you have nostalgia for the books but they start padding things out super bad when they realize they have 52 episodes to fill and each book has like 4 episodes of material max

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

he said it because he sucks