Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Antlions posted:

You should try Legend of the Galactic Heroes, OP.

I'm in the middle of Rose of Versailles right now but I'm gonna be totally out of shows when I'm done. I'm looking to brush up on my 70s/80s anime, and the only things I can recall that I've seen are this, LoGH and Gunbuster. What other classics am I missing?

Middle can mean a lot of parts of RoV but if you end up enjoying episodes 19-39 just check out more shows Osamu Dezaki directed.

Ashita no Joe and Ashita no Joe 2
Aim for the Ace
Nobody's Boy Remi
Takarajima (Treasure Island)
Space Adventure Cobra

And if you want movies there is Golgo 13: The Professional and a Space Adventure Cobra Movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

satsui no thankyou posted:

want something good and long to read or watch, read preferably. just got to the end of translated dorohedoro, really like Kingdom, HxH, LoGH, JoJos

You'd probably enjoy Houshin Engi.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Jose posted:

what are some good films to watch?

the last i saw was either redline or paprika and i've only seen a few. akira/gits obviously and then jin-roh and spriggan years ago and obviously a bunch of ghibli stuff and probably some more i don't remember

Watch the Ashita no Joe 1 and 2 compilation movies

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

gmq posted:

Hello, I forgot to cancel my Crunchyroll subscription again so I'm looking for more recommendations for anime that'll make me cry of happiness and/or awesome "JUST AS PLANNED" anime.
(Manga works too and doesn't need to be in Crunchyroll as long it's online somewhere)

In the last couple of months I have cried after watching:
- Usagi Drop
- My Love Story!!
- Shirobako
- Non Non Biyori (it was almost too chill though)

I'm planning to watch:
- Euphonium

kaiji

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Davincie posted:

im looking for good, finished and relatively long (not like 400 chapters but between 50-200 is ok) shonen or shoujo to read on the plane. little to no fanservice

Ashita no Joe

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm reading through Eden: It's An Endless World on recommendation from the Convince With One(or more) Pages thread and I'm not really feeling it. I mean it's decent, and the artwork is great, the various storylines can be okay and the mechanical designs and such are fantastic, but it's basically the "you're gonna have a bad time" of manga. Are you a character in Eden? Chances are, you're gonna have a bad time. Are you a child or a woman onscreen at any point in Eden? You're probably gonna have a bad time. Are you a heavily armored power suit soldier or a cop? You're definitely gonna have a bad time. Are you a character who's been in the series for half its run, had a pretty nice amount of character growth, is a strong character in your own right, and end up with a happy ending? You're goddamn guaranteed to have a bad time. Nothing ever goes right, someone always sabotages [thing], everyone's a spy/backstabber.

It's like the author cannot under any circumstances let anyone come out of a bad situation well, or if they do, sure as shootin' something even worse will happen to them later on.

Oh and "having a bad time" means "horrifying, gruesome death by dismemberment, headshot, decapitation, impalement, riddled by bullets, explosion, immolation, evisceration, brain-fry, etc"

There's like, two characters I can think of who haven't yet been mutilated somehow and have been around for a long time. Hell, one of the others who was, just DID get mutilated. There was a comparison to Ghost in the Shell in there but I'm feeling like this is much more disjointed and incohesive than GITS, especially GITS:SAC.

I'm maybe halfway through though, just got to the part where Helena shows up again for just long enough to get her brains blown right the gently caress out

That's fine, Eden is trash.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Read Ashita no Joe

Ringo Roadagain fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 10, 2015

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

This probably makes me a huge anime philistine but I can never get into stuff that old. :(

The only part really shows it's age is the first anime. The manga is real good about it, it starts off feeling like it is from 1968 for only the first volume and a half, and as it goes on it's age shows less and less. By volume 7 it is unnoticeable. Volume 8 and everything that follows is some of if not the best poo poo manga has to offer. The second anime Ashita no Joe 2 is also very good. Unlike the first it has a huge buget. Starts off halfway through the story though.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

signalnoise posted:

Is this also a manga recommendation thread? Ignore this post if it isnt

I have liked:

Genshiken
Old Boy
20th Century Boys
Solanin

I like stories about friends and relationships and people working through difficult situations in modern day earth

I did not like:

Yotsuba&!

I just don't get it

ashita no joe.

or legend of the strongest man kurosawa. also real by takehiko inoue

Ringo Roadagain fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 30, 2015

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Should I watch Rose of Versailles? I have enjoyed both Utena and Le Chevalier D'Eon and I know both are heavily influenced by this show, but I know relatively little about it other than that it's A. Gorgeous and B. Focuses on crossdressing swordfighters in Ancien Regime France.

The show would be the second-oldest anime I'd have seen (it came out in 1980, only the original Gundam is older of what I've seen). It will also be the first series I've tackled since LOGH so I am very ready for court politics. Does this series hold up? 40 Eps is a real commitment (maybe 3-4 months).

Yes

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Isn't space adventure cobra the go to series people recommend for that sort of thing? Or whatever it's called.

Yes. What he was describing was pretty much space adventure cobra

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Ulio posted:

Any good finished manga's I can read? I have been reading Angel Densetsu which I found out about in this forum and its a pretty fun read.

I normally go in the "Convince someone to read a manga with 1 panel" thread but a lot of the manga tend to be on going. I literally have so many manga I just put on hold because they are going on forever. I don't really like reading on going mangas sometimes I catch up but then I stop again with things like Berserk/One Piece/Vinland Saga.

Also is it against the rules to talk about online manga reader sites? I don't think there is any official service like Crunchyroll for Manga other than Crunchyroll or the Shounen Jump online but they contain only a few manga.

legend of the strongest man kurosawa

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

dont do this

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

the manga about a 9th grader jerking off is good and fine but it is not as good as the manga about the 44 year old friendless loser construction worker who doesn't want to be a loser anymore and tries to gain the respect of his coworkers

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Ulio posted:

Oh ya I have heard of those. Biscuit hammer seems like a comedy from the summary though I am not really sure. I had it on my read list for a long time.

Kurosawa sounds like a fun read. I just read one of Fukamoto's other manga recently, Buraiden Gai which was pretty good.

if you enjoyed buraiden gai, I can't imagine you not liking kurosawa. I liked gai but kurosawa really hits you harder.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Ulio posted:

Do all of that mangaka's characters look the same?(really sharp angular faces) I mean I don't mind since he writes some wonderful emotional stores.

pretty much yeah

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Giant Robo is the best suggestion because it started in the early 90s and ended in the late 90s. So you really get a taste for the entire 90s.

Also giant robo is the best anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Has anyone got any good suggestions for a sci-fi manga? Something in space, like a cowboy bebop type of set up rather than mechas.

All the stuff I am finding these days is real world or fantasy. Just in the mood for someone getting up to some han solo style shanigans

space adventure cobra