Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Endorph posted:

This happens in madoka rebellion doesnt it?
Alas, she just snaps her fingers and magics her hair into place; They saved the hair budget for romantic braid tying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I'm looking for anime to watch with my mom. She likes shows that are kind & fairytale-like, with a focus on strong, charming characterwork, and enjoyed Land of the Lustrous, Princess Tutu, and Place Further than the Universe, while finding Mushishi morose & lacking in the character department. What are some shows that would come to mind as being sweet fairytales, or in that general register?

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I believe the word you're thinking of is "guro", though I'm not familiar with its exact connotations.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
A friend and I randomly decided to watch Rozen Maiden; But apparently there's like multiple versions of it? A 2004 one by studio Nomad and a 2013 one by Deen. Would anyone happen to be familiar with both and be able to tell me if one is particularly worth picking over the other?

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
My favourite Urobuchi-related thing besides Madoka is Thunderbolt Fantasy which is actually a puppet show, it slaps

Psycho-Pass is a bit of a mixed bag in places but even as someone who's more lukewarm on it than a lot of folks it's very much worth watching. One episode in particular I still think about regularly to this day

Fate/Zero also has its fans, though personally I found it pretty dull

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
Akudama Drive

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
If you're also fine with anime, selector infected WIXOSS is a show that specifically uses high stakes trading card games as a vehicle for messy & fraught teen feelings. It's an odd beast that I wouldn't normally rec without a few asterisks (cw for incest) but it's also very evocative and might serve as a unique inspiration. Mangawise unfortunately nothing comes to mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
Agreed on Delicious in Dungeon. Bocchi the Rock! is the previous work by the Frieren director, it's a very different genre (goofball band comedy) but also boasts a lavish production and strong visual imagination