Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

ACCA is recent, written by a woman, and incredibly good. It's about bureaucrats in a federated monarchy eating cake and doing politics.

That's the show with the Third Reich uniforms, right? I guess that element was superficial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

people just see black military uniforms and assume nazi poo poo even though those outfits arent really similar to the ww2 german military uniforms at all, the closest part is the red insignia

It's the color scheme, and some of the embroidery---especially when there's no aiguillette (the ropey bit). But I'm not trying to make this a big deal, as someone that mostly heard of this second hand.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Any good detective/crime series? Preferably with an overarching plot with a larger mystery. So more Stand Alone Complex than Conan (cause it doesn't end).

(Not interested in Psycho Pass)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Have you seen Monster?

Yes, but that's the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mostly anime. But I don't mind manga recommendations if you have something cool in mind. (everything by Urasawa is obviously great)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Brain Powered any good?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Angel Cop is trash, FYI. You might get some semi-ironic entertainment out of it, but don't expect much. (also has some anti semitic plot point iirc, but that might only be in the Japanese original)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Check out Madox-01. Not cyberpunk, but similar to some of the stuff you outlined as having that "vibe". Dumb plot, but cool action scenes and some great mech/tech close ups.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What are some highlights of the past few years? Besides Edgerunners and Dorohedoro I haven't been keeping up to date with releases for a while now.

Broad question, I realize, but I stumbled upon Sonny Boy by chance (and that's probably an all time great), so I just want to know if there was anything else in recent years I really shouldn't miss.

Though I should probably take a short break from the gut-wrenching/heartbreaking/soul-draining stuff. I've gone through Devilman Lady, the Chainsaw Man manga, Lain-rewatch, Pluto, and Sonny Boy in quick succession.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thank you, I will definitely check some of those out

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Only Gundam I've watched more than a few episodes of, but I'd heartily recommend Turn A if you haven't seen it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

It's by the same creator as Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō, which got a few OVAs that also might be your speed.

Not nearly enough

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

From what I can tell, Ashinano (YKK author) kinda disappeared after Kotonoba Drive

his lone tweet

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Looking for something to follow up Utena.

I was thinking of revisiting Zetsubuo Sensei because Utena’s stylish cinematography/composition reminded me of Shaft (and suicide’s been on my mind). Never saw the third series.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks. I’ve wanted to see all of those at some point but they weren’t on currently my mind. I don’t know much about the Witch Gundam besides a lot people saying it’s good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I enjoyed Ultimate when only the first three or four episodes had released. But when I saw the rest a decade later, I didn’t like them very much. I can’t quite say whether it was a change in taste, or a drop in quality, but probably a bit of both.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I’m almost done with the Nirvana Initiative. Any Uchikoshi like anime mysteries? Maybe with fewer sex jokes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I mean to one day, but I was looking for something to watch atm.

E: yeah I think I’ll check out Akudama Drive

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Steins;Gate

I’m guessing those stories are better experienced in their original vn form?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

uchikoshi worked on akanesasu shoujo. its not really that much of a mindfuck mystery - there's a bit of that but its on the backburner - but its very lesbian and definitely has a bit of his like, sense of flow.

Magical girl transformation by way of the SONY WALKMAN™.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Definitely watch SAC2 if you enjoyed the first season. The recent 3D sequels, not so much.

And yeah give Trigun another go.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Potentially Nodame Cantabile if you like classical music.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I wanna watch a psychological thriller in the vein of Death Note. Or something like Monster.

I’ve already seen Code Gease, and some Kaiji.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

Paranoia Agent

Only saw an episode or two a decade plus so ago, but iirc it was a little weirder than what I'm currently in the mood for.

Julias posted:

First season of Psycho Pass. Odd Taxi. Perfect Blue. The original Boogiepop Phantom. Serial Experiments Lain.

Seen all these, though I might revisit Boogiepop because i remember hardly anything about it besides the OP.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn’t even heard of some of them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Inuyashiki seems good, but the sadism in episode 2 was a bit too much for me atm.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe Fool’s Night? Not quite as soul crushing (so far) as your examples, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Looking for post-apoc/wasteland/desert shows, preferably with an armored vehicle the cast travel in. finished Sand Land yesterday and I want more.

I've seen The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye (took a while to figure out what it was called), which basically is exactly what I want (though it was pretty mid itself). Also seen Girls' Last Tour.

For reference, seen Trigun and Desert Punk too, though those aren't quite what I'm looking for (well, besides not liking it, I barely remember anything about Desert Punk)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Julias posted:

Well there's more episodes of sandland coming out, so there's that.

You might enjoy Children of the Whales.

yeah but they're leaving the dunes. regardless, it's not like it's a fantastic show, but it just put me in the mood for that kind of thing.

thanks for the other recommendations. glad i asked.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i remember the cover that got me interested

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

so this is gonna be broad, but please recommend me some 90s shows. i'm in the mood for traditional cel animation.

since i can't list everything relevant i've seen, here's the bigger stuff off the top of my head

evangelion
bebop
utena
outlaw star
sailor moon
trigun
nadesico
lain
captain harlock
banner of the stars

i just want to hear about shows you think are worth watching from that era

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

not sure what the right term is, but is slayers the kind of show where most of the episodes are standalone, and the show most of the time isn't that concerned with overarching plot?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

and thanks, i've either seen or heard of most of the suggestions, but now i have a list to reference at any time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I like them, but not if they completely abandon any kind of progression.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

yeah i had something like inspector gadget in mind when i wrote that (i don't actually know if there ever was any closure)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Features some great music

https://youtu.be/txi1CarJuS0?si=vuVm2OeBDz3AR5Iq