Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Because sometimes you wanna watch something, but you're not sure what.

Welcome to the third iteration of this, the anime recommendations thread. Post here to be told what to watch, or to tell others.

A couple general tips and guidelines:
  • When seeking recommendations, try to be specific. Don't just ask us for "Something good," give us something to go on. What are you into, what do you want to try? If nothing else, at least narrow it down to a particular genre.
  • Similarly, it can be useful to provide a list of shows you've already seen and liked (or disliked). That way you can say "More of the same," "More by this director," "Here's my comfort zone; help me break out of it."
  • When responding to someone's request, tailor your suggestions accordingly. Don't just recommend your favorite show because it's your favorite show, golly gee, everyone should try it. Consider first whether it matches their criteria, and feel free to mention if it's something of a stretch.
  • Don't just list a bunch of shows in response, sell people on them. A few sentences should do. This last one's a little lax since there's really nothing wrong with just saying "Watch Cowboy Bebop," but if you're so inclined I'd prefer a little blurb.
Finally, if you're feeling uncertain or antisocial or just don't want the cool kids in other forums to see you posting here, consider checking out the ADTRWiki, an entire website dedicated to cataloging anime and relevant goon opinions.

Baal Edit: The wiki is dead, here is a read only mirror if you wish to read it but keep it in mind that the wiki is a bit out of date.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

I'm looking for something like Nichijou or Panty & Stocking. Stupid, maybe a silly kind of grossness once in a while, episodic and I don't need to worry about story or whatever. Weirdly enough, I didn't care too much for Space Dandy because it was a little too Twilight Zone.

I also wouldn't mind something more cerebral, I dug Steins;Gate and my friend recommended to me this other series about like a society that placed its citizens in work roles based on a predictive aptitude model or something? His description made me think of Minority Report, but I can't remember the title.
If you're up for something cerebral and a little unorthodox, Angel's Egg is a pretty good film. It's a slower, quieter experience that mostly communicates through its visuals, leaving a lot open to interpretation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx6AlZ_mkkw

It's a nice watch if you're open to mulling something over to decide what it means to you.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Droyer posted:

Isn't there some other anime about making anime?
Paranoia Agent, though only for one episode.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

There's also Bakuman which I guess is about manga. Not quite the same thing, but there you go.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you'll looking for a giant robot show and haven't seen Giant Robo, watch Giant Robo.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's worth noting if Ozma Diet checks out Hunter x Hunter that not everything's up on Netflix, but if he gets that far and likes it he can just finish up the series on Crunchyroll.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Funny Bunny posted:

Any suggestions for autumn-themed series? Like how Air is a really summer-themed show and Kanon really winter-themed? Of course, the show certainly doesn't need to be that type of anime. For some reason, I remember Honey and Clover of being a bit autumny. But it could also be that I simply watched the show during that season.
While it's not a series, Sword of the Stranger is a very cold autumnal kinda film. It's an action flick though which isn't much like any of the things you've listed here.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbXKKLc_qgw

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Welcome back. Let's try this again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxvZdnS6aw4

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

gmq posted:

I remember reading somewhere here that it was awful?
The manga includes a timeskip which soured a lot of people on the story.

The anime ends before the timeskip, so consequently it's the iteration that gets recommended.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'd actually say the Trigun anime tells a better, more powerful story than the manga, but it's true the manga reaches some dizzying heights of insanity.

Nightow's action sequences are supremely garbled, however.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'd recommend something but then I remembered Hellsing Ultimate is pretty much the only gunviolence show I like.

Let me know if you ever wanna see two dudes chopping each other up with swords though, I'll set you up.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Reds posted:

Hit me. I've got Champloo down on my backlog but I need more. I should probably get back to Chevalier too.

Unless it's something like Shigurui. I'm not exactly afraid of gore or anything but I've never been one for the good old ultraviolence.
Sword of the Stranger is good for what ails you if what ails you is a lack of sweet sword fights. It's a movie though, not a TV series.

Similarly, there's also always Ninja Scroll if you're willing to put up with the anime equivalent of an exploitation film. Includes rape as a plot point though, so if that's a flat door slam then steer clear.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ninja Scroll actually holds up rather well. It's tightly paced, well-directed, and well-animated.

It's biggest detriment is honestly just that Kawajiri loves his shock schlock, which understandably sits poorly with some people.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Offer to read Berserk if he'll read Vinland Saga.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Kaiji made me care about the outcome of a tissue box raffle and a game of rock-paper-scissors so I have no problem accepting "Japanese slapjack" as the competition around which a compelling story revolves.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

TFW you forget to wear pajamas on pajama day.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

FLCL.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

"Zeon did nothing wrong."

"Gihren."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

He Walked In On Some Folks Watching Anime And You Won't Believe What Happened Next; At 2:14 My Faith In Humanity Was Restored.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Durarara!! is good whenever it isn't focusing on Mikado, Anri, and Kida.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The war on moe rages on.

Preferably in another thread.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

mikado's cool now
If so that's a recent development, though I guess I am a season behind.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Hunter x Hunter and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure are both prime picks if dudes fighting other dudes (and dudettes) is your thing.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

For some people that's pretty much what the series ends up entailing anyway.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I've never so much as watched more than an animated gif's worth of astro boy so not having that background for it probably doesn't help it's case for me. I guess I enjoyed the more serious, down to earth stuff, and when it gets into THE EARTH WILL BE DESTROYED stuff I kinda just tuned right out.

Oh well. It was mostly very enjoyable at least, I didn't have a bad time reading it, just didn't really like the direction it took in the end.
Most of Pluto's story beats are taken or modified from Tezuka's original Astro Boy material so I dunno what else you expected.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I guess I'm just surprised because it was always a core part of the series' conception and promotion. Even the volumes themselves list Tezuka as co-author and go on about the writing processes.

Sorry you fell between the cracks I guess.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

And unrelated, another action show I've heard stuff about : Giant Robo. I'm not really a fan of the mecha genre, but I LOVED TTGL and depressing-and-disturbing-Evangelion...

Bad Seafood posted:

Giant Robo is now mandatory viewing for posting on this subforum.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I am of the controversial opinion that the second season of Darker Than Black is better than the first, but I don't exactly hold the first season in particularly high esteem so that's not a difficult bar to pass.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's good but by all accounts goes downhill later.

Not that I imagine watching the anime will have that problem.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

From now on all posts advocating the existence of "Smart" fanservice must include a short paragraph detailing what separates it from "Regular" fanservice and "Stupid" fanservice.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

There's only two kinds of fanservice - "Successful" and "Unsuccessful".
Success is measured by the rigidity of my dick.
I'm sorry for your lack of success in life.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I don't remember that scene but my gut tells me you should try googling the Ghost Stories English dub.

EDIT: Did some poking around and it seems that particular joke is from Blue Seed. It's only included as an omake though so I've no idea how it reflects on the rest of the show.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 3, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

I have decided I need more mecha anime in my life.

What's a good starting point? I've seen three shows that are mecha genre - Evangelion (I loved how beastly and horrifying the "mechas" turned out to be), Giant Robo (Giant Robo feels suitably GIANT and awe-inspiring) and TTGL (liked how goofy the mechas were, but battles seemed rather arbritrary to me; totally loved the ever-increasing HELL YEAH factor towards the end & the nonsensical scifi aspects, though). Not sure what exactly I'm looking for; I guess I want shows where you feel the sheer weight and size of awesome, earth-shattering war machines, and I've always had a heart for... "pseudo-realism", I guess? I dig that whole scifi aspect where the technobabble is obviously fake, but they try to somewhat acknowledge physics, things break down and are maintained, there's elaborate safety procedures and whatnot, all kinds of stuff that ALMOST make giant mechas seem reasonable.

I've heard good things about Patlabor - maybe I'll start with that series (...or the movie? Not sure how the two are related)!
Patlabor is more or less a pretty realistic take on the giant robot concept, which in your case I'd say is almost but not quite exactly what you're looking for. Rather than being "About" giant robots, I'd describe it as a police procedural/slice of life series that just so happens to contain giant robots as a prominent element. People have debated the best way to get into the series but for my money the (first) movie's a pretty safe bet.

Alternatively, if you liked Evangelion and Giant Robo, there's always the Big O.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

I would say that's one of the ones everyone knows

I guess to be more specific since my request wasn't very helpful what are the good anime movies that aren't
- Studio Ghibli
- Satoshi Kon
- Redline
- Akira
- Grave of the Fireflies
- Cowboy Bebop
- Girl Who Leapt Through Time
- 5cm Per Second

(because those are the ones I've already seen)
Angel's Egg.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Urasawa's a pretty good gateway author. Lots of titles under his belt too, so you won't be wanting for a bit.

Paperhouse posted:

Obviously I like Urasawa a lot, and am particularly interested in seinen stuff that's more sci-fi/mystery/thriller/fantasy than comedy or slice of life.
It's shounen but I think Fullmetal Alchemist should be right up your alley. At least try the first two volumes, the second being the more important.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Torquemadras will watch Giant Robo and he will post about it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

But I will NOT watch Giant Robo

...because I've already seen it :saddowns:
There's always time to rewatch Giant Robo.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

-Troika- posted:

Someone recommend me a kickass action anime that doesn't have any lovely moe or fanservice in it

-Troika- posted:

Seen it, and enjoyed it.
Post what you've seen already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Giant Robo is my favorite anime.

Please watch it.