Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Going after plot holes in anime is a fool's errand anyways. A majority of the time it comes up it might make sense with some dumb logic but that ain't a plot hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

Are there any sports anime that you'd recommend that sounds similar to the kind of show I'm looking for

I liked ping pong but for the most part I've never been terribly excited by sports shows and as a result haven't seen many of them. Glancing down that op, none of those shows sound like the kind of thing I'm looking for, what show in particular do you think would be a good fit for my ask?

Ippo gets really exciting. I binged the whole first season in like a week back when I was younger and had way more free time. It's really addictive and that first season stays fresh all the way through, since there's plenty of variety in the fights and the animation does a fine job at illustrating that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

unpronounceable posted:

I'm sure I've missed a lot of the better shows that aired this year since I stopped following the season threads. What are some that I should watch before the AOTY thread goes live? I've mostly just watched cute girls doing cute things.

I have on my list already Re: Zero, Orange, and that Rakugo one. If Iron Blooded Orphans aired this year, that's also on the list.

Lupin III Part 4.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A lot of talented people worked on it and it was all a waste because it had no bite to it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gintama is long but it's mostly pretty episodic so you can pick it back up real easy after breaks, taking your time instead of binging. It really would be a solid fit.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Log Horizon season 2 felt like a series that forgot what made it so compelling in the first place. I dug the non-action parts of the first season but I was never able to finish season 2 because it felt like all of the major story beats were about fighting, and that's by far the weakest element of the show.

The lackluster animation quality didn't help either. Not that season 1 had impeccable animation by any means, but it was less of an issue because it wasn't nearly as action-oriented as season 2 was.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

After the knee jerk reaction to hating on LOGH after Zorak left I would be down with a resurgence of "hey this show is actually pretty cool".

I always figured it was because it became like Game of Thrones was in TBB years ago; the default, blanket recommendation even when it doesn't fit (the most egregious case of this I recall seeing: it being recommended to someone who enjoyed Kyousogiga and wanted more like it).

Doesn't really happen any more thankfully and heck maybe when that new project they announced forever ago sees the light of day there will be more positivity about the series.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's odd to single out Chihayafuru as the only good sports anime. A lot of it plays out in line with traditions of the genre, it just happens to be a very solid execution of said traditions.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

AnoHito posted:

For one, I thought Chihayafuru plays out more like a shoujo anime than a sports anime.
For two, other sports anime never seems to really capture what I like about sports. They tend to just put some random sport in, maybe do some research into it, and say "well that should be good enough." Chihayafuru actually managed to capture that feeling. As opposed to most sports anime that, to me, feel like watching a less interesting shounen battle anime, it brought back memories of being out on the mat wrestling. It's similar to the reason why I think Remember the Titans was trash but that The Blindside and The Longest Yard were both excellent.

Shounen-y battle is just one flavor of sports anime out there. There are plenty of shows that are entirely different. Ping Pong being one lots will namedrop but there's also pretty much any Adachi work too, to name another; stuff like Cross Game and Touch definitely come across as written by someone with a passion for the sport while at the same time wanting to tell a very human story instead of just focusing on the matches.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Even tho Ippo eventually gets real bad it's definitely worth pointing out that not only is the first season consistently great, but it does end at a point that feels just fine for an ending. So even though the story has been going on for decades you can just watch that and leave feeling satisfied.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

Watch everything directed by Yoshiaki Kawajiri

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fumoffu is hands down the best thing to come out of FMP as a franchise.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yamatoo 2199 is the correct answer.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Time is an important part of budgets so it's technically still true.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Baloogan posted:

um so are there any more workplace anime like newgame and the one about the girls who work in anime with the doughnuts shirobaka

like, slice of life in reality, protagonists out of high school sort of thing

The currently airing show Gurazeni is, for all intents and purposes, a salaryman anime with a coat of baseball paint over it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'll watch Haikyuu after I finish all the baseball anime.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

Watch Ace of the Diamond you fool

I plan on going on a binge this summer!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Motto posted:

What are some original/standalone movies people would recommend from the last few years? I had the opportunity to actually go out and see a few (Your Name, Maquia, Liz, Night is Long) when they got theater runs, but I feel like there are probably a lot that slipped my mind between getting announced or received and becoming available in English one way or the other.

As far as stuff outside of what you mentioned a few of the highlights to me over the past few years have been In This Corner of the World, Lu Over the Wall, I Want to Eat Your Pancreas, and Haikara-san.

Except for Lu they're all directed by people who aren't household names so as far as western audiences go it sure feels like not a lot of people have seen them.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

the argument could be made that seasons 2 and 3 are better than season 1. the animation, at least, is incredible

https://i.imgur.com/C75bg5h.mp4

Hell if nothing else due to the long wait the subsequent seasons didn't have to worry about adapting too much of the manga at once so that alone is a big point in their favor compared to the first season.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

What's a good hard sci-fi anime released in the last, let's say, 5 years? Something with mostly adult characters (no highschoolers, no coming of age stories), 'serious' tone and relatively grounded in reality (or Nihei-style posthumanism).

Something like GitS, Psycho Pass, Kinghts of Sidonia, LoGH - is there anything new and good like these?

The Yamato remakes are probably your best bet.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dias posted:

I'm super outta the loop when it comes to the year's anime, I've watched Sarazanmai which I quite liked and nothing else. What were the standouts in you guys' opinions? It feels like last year had more hyped poo poo.

For the time being I think the only thing that's a contender above Sarazanmai for me is Mix, and I'm proud to be one of the dozen people outside Japan that's watching it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dias posted:

What is a Mix?

Baseball anime from the guy behind Touch and Cross Game, tho considering how it's more about character dynamics and the occasional drama more than playing baseball I'd still recommend it to anyone even if they don't care for baseball or sports in general. Something that always stands out to me when hitting up an Adachi work is that he frequently tackles sibling relationships in a way that I rarely see in anime.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ulio posted:

What is a fun action isekai? It seems the last few seasons Isekai popularity keeps growing but there is so many to choose from.

Tanya the Evil

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fooley posted:

I'm looking for something grounded, with a bit of actual information/trivia. Shows like Koizumi Loves Ramen, How Heavy Are Your Dumbbells, Dagashi Kashi, and Food Wars. I think Galko-chan would fall under that too.

You want Moyashimon.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ulio posted:

Anyone here watched or read The Kindaichi Case Files? Seems like it was pretty big in Japan, it has a bunch of adaptions in different media but this is the first I've heard of it while searching for some 90s manga to read. Kinda looks like Detective Conan but with older characters? Not sure. I know lots of people who recommended me Detective Conan, saying it's legit one of the best anime/manga's still airing today but it's has like a million episodes/chapters/movies.

I've watched some of the older anime series and the first movie. It's neat. What I watched had a different taste than what I've seen of Conan (tho heck, both are good) since there's more of an emphasis on how a murder can mentally affect the friends/family of the victim, how messed up it is that there is even a murder mystery to solve, etc. Not to say that it doesn't want the audience to play along with the mystery, mind you. It's a pretty solid choice if that's the kind of murder mystery you want.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

On a whim I watched Mamoru Hosoda's One Piece movie (Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island) and liked it, even if I'm not a One Piece fan. Or perhaps it's exactly because I'm not a fan that I liked it (not sure what actual fans think of it), because it's a self-contained story that didn't last 10+ episodes.

I'm looking for more standalone anime movies based on big franchises (Conan, Lupin, Doraemon, Jump stuff, etc) that have good storytelling, visuals, or direction. Something anyone could watch as long as they have a cursory knowledge of the series. I know the Doraemon films are good, but which ones in particular stand out, etc?

The second Urusei Yatsura movie and Patlabor 2 are both incredible movies that I've had great success with in showing them to people who have zero exposure to their respective franchises.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Glagha posted:

Man, Lupin's tone has always been all over the place hasn't it? I remember hearing the... I wanna say manga that predates the anime being much, much darker and more explicit. The anime is horny but mostly cartoon slapstick stuff, and other media varies wildly between Castle of Cagliostro and the newer movies that are all much more violent and/or horny.

It's best to think of it very much like how, say, superhero comics have had different tones and interpretations of characters over the decades.

Even the first anime diverged hard from the source material because Lupin was not a violent rapist in it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rahzmataz posted:

I'm only really giving anime a try for the first time right now after someone strongly recommended Eizouken, and honestly i'm really enjoying it. I've also been watching Haikyu and i've really enjoyed that too. What are some other shows I should check out? I'm not particularly interested in dark and moody stuff.

I'm probably gonna try My Hero Academia at some point soon too.

The director of Eizouken, Masaaki Yuasa, has put out a fair amount of anime and they're all great so if you want stuff in a comparable style definitely look up his other stuff (I suggest Tatami Galaxy, personally).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Since you have enjoyed Kaiba, Ping-Pong, and Eizouken, I see no reason why you wouldn't have a great time just hitting up everything else Masaaki Yuasa has directed. I suggest hitting up Tatami Galaxy & Mind Game in particular.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

Been watching Haikyu and really enjoying it, it's definitely putting me in a sports show mood. I've jotted Run With the Wind down since I saw it mentioned a couple of times but would love to get some more suggestions.

Hajime no Ippo and Major are great picks for stuff more in line with the shonen style of Haikyu. Ping Pong, Cross Game, and Touch are all excellent works if you want something more drama-oriented.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Chocobo posted:

Last recommendation request was very successful, so I'll try something different:

Recommend to me your #1 absolute favorite anime ever, with no context, description, or limitations. Series, OVA, whatever, lets hear it, but limit it to one please!

The Tatami Galaxy.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've got a fair bit of nostalgia for Astro Boy 2003, which is apparently underrated. I do want to see how it holds up. The question is- sub or dub?

I wanna say the dub edited out some stuff? Been so long that I can't remember what tho.

(The show also holds up extremely well!)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

yeah I've never seen any gundam and there's too many to pick the right one

Also I guess it doesn't have to be mechs specifically, any sci-fi-ish war anime could do. I've seen Yukikaze recently and liked that a lot

Sounds like you want Yamato 2199 if you haven't seen that already.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

is fairy gone any good?

It's very bland.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

was his japan sinks good? i saw a zillion negative reviews of it

Wasn't the best thing Yuasa has done but it was still quite solid. I felt that its optimistic humanism made it a good companion piece to Devilman Crybaby's cynical humanism.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Going to ask for a recommendation but keep it wide open this time. Recommend me your weirdest, oddest, most unusual show or movie that most likely made no sense or wasnt even good but you enjoyed anyway. Im even willing to drop the "no horror" stipulation I usually have for this one so go all out on whatever genre you feel like.

Baton.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

I asked a very similar question last page so if you want even more recommendations go look up the ones they gave me as well (there is some overlap).

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions has shown up twice now under the "People also watched:" list for some of the shows you guys recommended. Is it any good?

Season one is fine enough but I extremely regret watching the rest.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

Is there a show in the last 3 years that is like 100% worth watching? I sort of want to watch an anime show and I haven't in awhile.

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Eat The Rich posted:

Does sketch comedy anime exist?

Pop Team Epic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Is Gintama worth watching?
I’m up to ep16 and I like the cast and their utter idiocy, and the incomprehensible jokes that fly all over me due to my poor familiarity with japan/anime are hilarious ( i recognized lone wolf and cub random appearance as wolf aliens).
But I know it gets serious down the line and some semi-serious moments until now have that “foreigners bad, samurai good” vibe that is a bit creepy, and if it goes too much down the nationalistic, jingoistic path would prefer to avoid it.

It takes quite a long time before it gets consistency serious and even then it's a lot more nuanced than that.