Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you're interested in changing the new to anime list on the ADTRWiki, I made a post about changing that over in the wiki thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

littleorv posted:

Same but The Tatami Galaxy.

Pretentious!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you don't mind really gross at times, Detroit Metal City.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Torquemadras posted:

Looking especially for the sort that gets really mean-spirited towards it characters, and only gets more intense towards it conclusions.

It might not be exactly what you're looking for since it's long form, with every story taking multiple episodes to finish, but this sentence describes Mononoke perfectly. It's a little bit of an investment, and the first episode is much slower than the rest of the show so it takes a bit to get into, but it's completely fantastic. Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales is also pretty great.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There are many good *gataris but my favorite *gatari is Katanagatari

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Torquemadras posted:

Also, how's this show? I gave the first episode a try, and called it quits when the evil ninja jabbered on, pulled out a sword, action scene seems imminent, then puts the sword away, jabbers some more, leaves. Does it get any less talky? I mean, that looks like a drat cool action gif, but I don't want to wait half an hour for ten seconds of it...

I almost turned it off at about the same moment that you did but I'm really glad I didn't, the end of the first episode hooked me and it just gets better and better from there. It's never not-talky but once the journey actually starts the conversations get better and more and more cool and meaningful stuff happens. It's one of my favorites.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Chihayafuru has many good feels.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ushio and Tora is airing this season and reminds me a lot of Yu Yu Hakusho, it's real good!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
ShiroBako is heartwarming as hell despite tackling some tough stuff. Sound! Euphonium might scratch that itch as well.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Torquemadras posted:

I really like Space Dandy, guys

It's so good.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cake Attack posted:

Caruta owns

Yea, this. Chihyafuru doesn't expect you to know poo poo about the game, but after you get through the story you totally get it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Let never talk about Overlord again.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pavlov posted:

I walked into some people watching this once. It was some kids talking in an empty school, and looked pretty well made, then BAM one's suddenly a furry and I just rofl-ed out of the room.

It's one of the best movies ever made.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Condiv posted:

i just got a lot of weed and i'm gonna get super stoned tonight, what's the best anime to watch stoned?

please no anime with chars that say uguu~ (unless it's by go nagai)

Try one of these http://blog.honeyfeed.fm/top-10-philosophical-anime-recommendations/

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Everything Burrito posted:

What are some good (or at least decent) sports anime/manga with pro teams or that are at least not set in high school? I already have a big pile of those to watch but want to mix it up with some shows with characters that are actual adults. I've already watched One Outs and Giant Killing is on my list.

Ippo might be what you're looking for, if you haven't already given it a shot. Comedy option: Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Everything Burrito posted:

lol I already watched a few episodes of Matsutaro when it aired and it was garbage.

I thought Ippo was about a high school guy so it was kinda low on my priority list, isn't the main guy like 16 or something? I may have to move it up the list if the cast is older than I thought.

Main character starts out in high school but it's pro-boxing. It's also really good.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Radio Spiricom posted:

what's some good shows like honey and clover, nodame cantabile, kids on the slope, and your lie in april?

Chihayafuru, the inspiration for our CSS.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

I've seen these and a little Haruhi but I thought the time travel stuff in that was the endless eight thing people complained about

Endless Eight is actually very good.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ninjewtsu posted:

If you want sweet robot action try gundam build fighters

Technically that's sweet children's toys action though

What's nice about Build Fighters is that it's honest.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Watch Patlabor.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Davincie posted:

i want to watch a high energy action series that isn't a shonen that takes forever

Kyousogiga

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pavlov posted:

Ok realpost. I'm looking for a show with the cinematography and directing of bakemonogatari, minus the pedophilia.

I've seen tatami galaxay.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh! Katanagatari is an adaptation of a book by the same author as the Monogatari series and it rules. It's not as tightly directed as the other -gatari and Rakugo but it's playful and engrossing.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

drat good shout, but it's a very grounded, low-key kind of cinematography rather than Shinbo and Yuasa's flashy high surrealism.

It has the same precise and intimate style as a Shaft anime, just minus the intentional artificiality. You can tell that the director got his start at Shaft.

The effect is different, but I think if you appreciated those qualities in bakemonogatari you'll like Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cake Attack posted:

Since you liked Yowapeda Chihayafuru is another really good sports show

Chihayafuru is super excellent!

Haikyu!! is a lot like Yowamushi Pedal but with 30X SHOUTING, 40X BROODING, and 50X FIGHTING SPIRIT

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū is what you need

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's Lum

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

I got around to watching Kyousougiga after it got recommended so much.

It was pretty good but I'm not really sure it really warranted all of the praise, like "this totally should have been the AOTY the year it came out" praise. Like I've already forgotten most of the details, kind of in one ear and out the other sort of experience.

Appreciating Kyousougiga requires the sophisticated taste of a true anime connoisseur

(it's super indulgent so I can understand not really loving it, but it's so much fun!)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I would also not be shocked if Funimation has a rights to the awesome Eva blu-rays but is sitting on it for whatever reason.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Osomatsu-san

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bad Seafood posted:

This comes up so often the fourth anime recommendation thread should just be titled "Don't read it, they get married."

Do it

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yona has a great anime, but sadly stops right before the best arc. Season 2 when

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's kind of a weird recommendation in this context tho, cause it's got middle-schooler poo poo.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Little_wh0re posted:

I'm looking for suggestions for things like Kikis Delivery Service. The mundane mixed with the mystic. The slice of life nature of it. Ideally something you could describe as heartwarming. I've watched a fair amount of Ghibli and any I haven't are already on the list. Thanks!

Flying Witch.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Little_wh0re posted:

So... im getting a feeling flying witch might be what im looking for

Possibly

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Little_wh0re posted:

Ive watched two eps of flying witch and its just what i was looking for. Thanks everyone :)

I'm glad you like it!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Definitely see Mushi-Shi, for stuff like Cromartie try Detroit Metal City and Osomatsu-San.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū might be exactly what you're looking for. It's a big, multigenerational historical anime about theater folks and it starts out great and just gets better and better.

Maria the Virgin Witch is by the director of Panetes and it owns. The Perfect Insider is also very good.

And yea! A second for Ping Pong!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Pavlov, why do you post on this board if you clearly don't like anime? Wtf

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Shame on all of you for no-one recommending Erased :colbert:.

Listen to this guy, Erased is definitely worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's definitely a tier of show that only comes along a couple times of year if that -- stuff like Masaaki Yuasa's output, or Katanagatari, or Kyousogiga, etc; stuff that you can recommend without reservation about either content, theme, or technical competence. Personally I'm not quite so strict as to call that "the only good anime" but it's a reasonable position to take, and in particular, it's a good springboard for recommendations.

It's good to be critical.

There's critical, and then there's "sorry bro all anime is for pedophiles now"