Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cromartie High School is a classic. Watch the dub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Len posted:

Is Legend of Galactic Heroes better to watch or read?

The classic OVA is an extremely faithful adaptation, so I felt like watching and reading were very similar experiences. Choose the medium that is more convenient to you.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Patlabor movies are good, but they're far from representative of what's good about the other Patlabor material.

For science fiction, Legend of the Galactic Heroes is such an obvious recommendation that there's a joke about it in the thread title.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

jinpachistar posted:

Starting to get back into watching anime again; any recommendations for short-episode series? Doesn’t have to be comedies, but I loved stuff like Teekyu and Inferno Cop.

Are you open to older stuff? Cromartie High School if you've never seen it. Watch the dub.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I would watch half an episode of Gundam Wing on Toonami and not have a god drat idea what anybody was talking about and assume it was just really complex and deep and then go play video games instead. This is the true experience.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

archduke.iago posted:

I'm looking for psychological/mind-gamey/gambling themed manga, in the line of Death Note, One Outs, Kaiji, Liar Game, or Gin to Kin.
I didn't much care for Tomodachi Game, Usogui, or the other FKMT works.
Plusses include 80s/90s urban environments, MCs who can lose, and solutions that aren't *completely* contrived.

At the risk of being strangled, Legend of the Galactic Heroes has a lot of mindgames and justified strategies, and the main character doesn't always win. It's future space war rather than historical gambling, however.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ahobday posted:

I'm looking for anime (and/or manga, which I mentioned because I can't find a manga recommendation thread) where the main character is very good/skilled. It can be in general or at a specific thing. An embodiment of TV Tropes' "The Ace": https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheAce.

Ideally the character won't have other flaws such as major personality flaws or emotional/mental problems that the plot uses to offset their skill. I'd like pure unrealistic excellence.

Instead of asking for a specific genre I'll say that any genre is fine as long as you think the anime (and/or manga) is extremely good/high quality.

The only example I can think of, which might not fit the "extremely good" criteria, is Food Wars, where the main character is very good at cooking.

First thing that comes to mind is Fist of the North Star. Major villains still challenge Kenshiro, but very often he just seems to be toying with his enemies. The 80s anime is cheaply done, but has an iconic style to it; you may end up preferring it to the manga anyway.

Any animation of Lupin the 3rd comes pretty close to this, though it varies from episode to episode. I'd also second the recommendation of Golgo 13.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Stop motion animation still counts as animation.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Astro Fighter Sunred

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lupin III is easy to jump into anywhere. There's no continuity, the characters are very transparent, and the style is quite variable. Pick a random episode of anything, and if you don't like what you just watched, try something else where he's wearing a different color jacket or came out in a different decade, and you'll eventually find your favorite.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cromartie High School doesn't rely on pop culture references to the point that missing them destroys the jokes. It's excellent. Watch the dub. Watch out for one f-slur in an early episode.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still, a 1992-1998 seven-episode OVA about rival organizations of superheroes and supervillains, some of whom use giant robots, who battle for the fate of the world in the face of an unprecedented energy crisis with a dark secret at its heart. God, I should watch that again.

Patlabor. Just the whole franchise, really, but probably start with the OVA and go on to the TV series if you liked that. Nominally about a special police unit that responds to crimes involving mechas (all of which are depicted with an unsurpassed emphasis on realism), there's not much I've seen that has the variety, playfulness, and sheer audacity of this series. Anchored by a core cast of lovable weirdos (including several very strong female characters), it is free to transcend genres, so you never know with any given episode if you're going to be seeing mystery, comedy, thriller, existential sci-fi, a surreal character study, or what. When it ventures into social commentary, you may find that its politics are somewhat particular to its circumstances: at the time, police were seen as the lesser evil compared to the military, whereas these days it's more common to see the opposite opinion.

Speaking of police, you said you were a bit tired of zany comedies, but hear me out: they don't come any zanier than 2012's no-budget micro-series Inferno Cop, which has the bonus of being watchable in its entirety in a single sitting.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Erg posted:

Very subjective request but anyone got recs for standalone shows that are maybe ~12 eps (or 6ish hours) that are nice and bingeable?

Some shows I've seen that I'd say fall in to that camp:
* Odd Taxi
* Humanity has Declined
* Paranoia Agent
* Hanebado!
* D-Frag
* SSSS.Gridman

It's not a big deal if it's a show that has sequel seasons, but I'm really in the mood for something with a definite stopping point for the season or series that I could watch in a weekend.

The list above is pretty scattershot in terms of genre but they were all shows that I was either watching immediately as they came out weekly or got their hooks in me and would keep me watching for a couple hours at a time if I was watching them after they finished.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Has it been long enough that we're allowed to resume recommending Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

hey mom its 420 posted:

I have a list of stuff I have yet to watch, which of these would you guys recommend the most: FLCL, Baccano, Legend of Galactic Heroes, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kill la Kill.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and it's not even close.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That's an element, but it doesn't really indulge in that feeling of complex space maneuvers. The battles are edited more like a conversation between the admirals. Sometimes you'll have a cut between one guy giving an order on his bridge and the other guy ordering a response on his own bridge, not realizing that hours passed between those shots. It's stoic, handsome anime men standing around outsmarting each other in space, which is cool, but although the sci-fi is relatively hard, it's also relatively unimportant.

It's good, is what I'm trying to say here.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you're willing to tolerate "Technically isekai but it never really comes up," you might try "Faraway Paladin."

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What sorts of things would embarrass you when watching with your wife?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yet another request for which the recommendation immortalized in the thread title, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, is suitable.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

hey mom its 420 posted:

I just did everything there is to do in armored core 6 and I'm hyped for more mechs! Where do I start with mech animes and what are the best ones? The only one that has mechs in it that I watched is Evangelion

I like Patlabor.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Colonel posted:

are there any anime about an idol, specifically one whose body is composed of some durable substance used in the making of mechanical devices, such as metal

I can tell this is some kind of joke about "Key the Metal Idol" but I don't seem to have the context to understand what else it's in reference to.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lots of romantic comedies have the setup where the male lead is a comparatively subdued, passive, and practical man, who's brought by coincidence into contact with the female lead, a comparatively glamorous, proactive, and eccentric woman. What's your favorite that has the opposite premise, where it's a consciously "ordinary" woman falling into the orbit of a more interesting man, while keeping the emphasis more on the "comedy" part of romantic comedy?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Any Hallmark Christmas movie.

I don't believe that these are your favorite. Also I thought it unnecessary to clarify that I was asking about anime, this being the anime recommendation thread, but let me just add that criterion now.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Basically wondering what a manic pixie dream boy would even look like. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yeah, they tend to be celebrities who can voice act, rather than playing themselves.