Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ccs posted:

Starting to watch Sonny Boy. 2 episodes in and I think this will be a good one.

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

sube posted:

Recently watched Memories, Robot Carnival and Neo-Tokyo. Are there any other good compilation movies worth watching?

The Animatrix
Genius Party
Short Peace
5cm per Second

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Rinkles posted:

I wanna watch a psychological thriller in the vein of Death Note. Or something like Monster.

I’ve already seen Code Gease, and some Kaiji.

First season of Psycho Pass. Odd Taxi. Perfect Blue. The original Boogiepop Phantom. Serial Experiments Lain.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

idk what people are talking about with shikimori because the net reception i saw to it was pretty positive. multiple scenes from it were memes even.

Yeah, the only complaints I saw widespread was that a bunch of people thought it was boring, which, fair.

I'm not saying the other complaints didn't happen, but they were probably from random internet troll nobodys.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Saturn Apartments by Hisae Iwaoka

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Looking for shows with the same general vibe/themes as In/Spectre. Any ideas?

Bakemonogatari is the closest thing I can think of.

.maybe Mushishi and Natsume's Book of Friends, though those aren't quite up the same alley.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Bloom into You

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Furnaceface posted:

Its me again!

Mostly in the mood for some campy horror. Thinking along the lines of Killer Klowns from Outer Space or Puppetmaster. Goofy and doesnt take itself too seriously, but still in the horror genre.

Would also take recommendations on classic horror stuff, like an anime version of American Werewolf in London or Silver Bullet.

For the first recommendation, Mayoiga (The Lost Village).

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Arc Hammer posted:

Fantasy settings that don't wear TTRPG trappings like mana, guilds and character classes, please. I like those things in moderation but I could really go for something unique that doesn't pull from the usual toy box.

Kyousougiga
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Chaika: The Coffin Princess

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Rinkles posted:

Looking for post-apoc/wasteland/desert shows, preferably with an armored vehicle the cast travel in. finished Sand Land yesterday and I want more.

I've seen The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye (took a while to figure out what it was called), which basically is exactly what I want (though it was pretty mid itself). Also seen Girls' Last Tour.

For reference, seen Trigun and Desert Punk too, though those aren't quite what I'm looking for (well, besides not liking it, I barely remember anything about Desert Punk)

Well there's more episodes of sandland coming out, so there's that.

You might enjoy Children of the Whales.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ninjewtsu posted:

What are some high quality fight mangas where I can see people beat the poo poo out of each other with good art

Record of Ragnarok

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Roctavian posted:

What about underwater anime in general, not just submarines? Any genre. My partner is a diver and never gets tired of watching underwater stuff.

(Kinda) Grand Blue Dreaming (it's secondary to the comedy aspects)

Amanchu season 1

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fucker posted:

looking for a good anime made in the past 5 years that looks SOVLful like cowboy bebop, perfect blue, interestella 5555, gto etc

theres been good shows lately, but its either too 3d cgi like mob psycho and chainsaw man or too stylized like odd taxi or sonny boy. its not the same

I think you'll need to elaborate on what you mean by 'too stylized' because that's an extremely vague term and I would argue half the shows you cited as loving were very stylized in their own way too.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Thoren posted:

Can someone recommend me an anime/manga that heavily subverts Japanese medieval fantasy tropes?

Anything not fantasy/isekai. :pram:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

BattleMaster posted:

My SO and I really enjoy comedy shows where the main character is some kind of terrible goblin who screams a lot and are often drawn as a chibi blob while they have their "clever" plans or reasoning backfire and they get exactly what they deserve while a straight man character or narrator heedlessly tells them that they are an idiot but things turn out alright and heartwarming in the end. Examples we have watched include Tearmoon Empire, The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated!, 'Tis Time for "Torture," Princess, Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro, and Squid Girl.

I'm sure there are a lot of shows where elements of the above are true, but the key part of those examples is that only the main character is particularly zany for all or most of the runtime, and they get a lot of internal monologue or at least talks out loud to themselves a lot, putting their dumbass thoughts on display for all to see.

edit: For instance we've watched and enjoyed Kaguya-sama: Love is War which has a bunch of elements of that but none of the main characters quite have that "terrible goblin" thing going on.

Bocchi the Rock for sure

Uzaki-san is pretty similar to Nagatoro San in that aspect, so you might like that one too.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DearSirXNORMadam posted:

I'm feeling a bit disconnected from MODERNITY lately, so I am trying to see if there's anything cool that came out recently (<10 years) that's in the vein of Utena. Not necessarily magical girl, more leaning on the unhinged gay feminist character drama side of "what even is Utena?"

Like I want the equivalent of pulling a sword out of your girlfriend, but not actually that, because that got done to death. Please and thank you

PS: ideally something that's finished

Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight and it's movie feels like it might be a good fit for what you are looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pan Dulce posted:

So, this might be a long shot, but I found out these past couple of days that I love learning about food anime. Bartender, Dungeon Meshi, Campfire Cooking in Another World With My Absurd Skill, Ms. Koizumi Loves Ramen Noodles, Restaurant to Another World, and Isekai Izakaya Nobu. Yes, I’ve tried Food Wars too.

Is there anything else I can watch that has that whole “cozy” learning about food/drink feel?

I was also recommended Cinderella Chef but didn’t like it very much animated. Have yet to try it manga style.

You can watch all of Wakakozake in less than 30 minutes