Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

JBP posted:

I really enjoy Japanese animation, but I find the fan stuff a bit tiresome when it's relentless. What's a mecha type show I might like that also has sweet modern vehicles or whatever as well? I watched Aldnoah Zero and really liked it, including the goofiness (especially the goofiness of Inaho explaining his zany battle gambits).

I've started Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans and I'm enjoying it, but if anyone can recommend maybe a semi serious mecha series that's got great animation and a lot of sweet action I'd appreciate it.

Eureka Seven the Psalms of Planets. The robots ride on air-surfboards, which is silly, but because of that the movement and action in the show has a very distinct feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

It's not a harem but Majestic Prince is is a sci-fi mecha comedy that made me laugh a lot and also has fantastic fight choreography.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

are you sure

Ok it was that one time.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

PirateDentist posted:

What's your favorite feel good series? That show that after an episode ya just feel nice and warm. :buddy::hf::sun:

If by show you mean manga then bonnouji

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

i wanna watch some sort of genre show that doesn't take place in our (modern) world. no slice of life stuff, something plot and character heavy. isekai and technically not isekai but the setting is that same MMO-esque game mechanic drenched medieval fantasy need not apply

Might be too close to our (modern) world, but Concrete Revolutio.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

unstucker posted:

Please, help! What anime is it? Who knows?

It's Neon Genesis Evangelion

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Hocus Pocus posted:

I've been on a bit of a manga tear recently and was wondering if ya'll had any good recommendations for space opera and/or mecha, manga series?

When I google I mostly get suggested LoGH, Code Geass, and Gundam anime series, which are good examples of what I'm after, I just happen to want manga.

I'm a big fan of the Ken Ishikawa Getter mangas. The 70s ones are kinda rough but they build up into something genuinely fantastic. I also quite liked Linebarrels of Iron, though the translation is spotty at best. The Plot to Assassinate Gihren is a Gundam manga which is quite good, but it assumes the reader is familiar with the original Gundam series so if you haven't seen that you should probably skip it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tasogare Otome X Amnesia - spooky ghost love

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Also has an amazing loving ending.

Any good anime with a strong female lead? Basically looking for an anime version of Ripley from the Alien movies.

Not very Ripley-eque due to the lighthearted tone of the show, but Noa from Patlabor is an incredibly good female lead.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Natsume's book of friends.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Not within the last 15 years but Patlabor fits all the other criteria.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mecha shows with a more adult bent recommendations? I'm trying to find something that satisfies my need for giant robits without devolving into tits and rear end when the plot runs thin. I've seen Patlabor, Votoms and Flag, as well as most of the more adult oriented Gundam series. Anything else that fits that mould?

Off the top of my head: Fafner, Evangelion if you haven't seen that, the recent SSSS.Gridman was really good but there is some fanservice in it, Giant Robo: The day the earth stood still.

Edit:

AnoHito posted:

Seen Gurren Lagann yet?

LOL at recommending TTGL to someone who doesn't want T&A.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Seen Eva and I wouldn't exactly consider it what I'm looking for. Gurren Lagann is fine and fun but I really want something that scratches the itch that Patlabor II the movie gave me. I've seen most of Oshii's other work but not a lot of it is really mecha related. I'm angling for more shows or films with adult protagonists that get into the nitty gritty of things rather than show where teenagers save the world with plucky can do attitude and crazy stunts. There's a time and place for that but Rooster Teeth's GenLock left me cold.

What is Fafner like?

Fafner is probably not what you're looking for judging by what you just said. Most of the pilots are teenagers and it's not really like Patlabor II at all. The main deal with Fafner is that the entire cast is a close-knit community living on a small island so every pilot is someone's child and everyone on the bridge is someone's mom or dad, which is then used for drama once things start going bad.

I will recommend J-Decker though, which ironically is a show for young children. It's very reminiscent of Patlabor, though moreso the TV show than the movies.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Fooma posted:

Looking for a recommendation for a mecha + magic anime. Like where the mecha themselves are wizards or use magic instead of rockets.

I’ve watched Scrapped Princess and more on point, Wizard Barristers, and looking for things more in that style. Wizard Barristers was great in theme but not story or style.

I have the major streaming devices available but I’m thinking this will lead to more of the obscure stuff.

Granbelm from last season fits this to a tee. There's also knights & magic from a few years back but it's not good.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

diebuster is not something you should watch without seeing its predecessor gunbuster first, and gunbuster does not fulfill the magic requirement. That said they're 6 episodes each and both very good so...

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

What's the best place to start with Macross? I mean I know like the technical answer is "the beginning," but I don't really have time to watch hundreds of hours worth, so whatever is like "the best" would be a huge help. If it helps, the Mecha anime I like the most is War in the Pocket and Gundam Thunderbolt.

Macross Plus

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a mecha ova from the 90s. It was heavily 70s inspired, all the main characters were girls, that's all I can remember

Iczer-1?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Cephas posted:

Any recommendations for stuff about making art? I'm looking to find manga or anime about drawing, painting, manga-making, photography, or other artistic subjects. Blue Period (fine art), Eizouken (animation), and Kakukaku Shikajika (fine art, manga) are like the ideals for me.

Stuff like Comic Girls (manga), Hidamari Sketch (art school), or Tamayura (photography) are cool too, but those are mostly slice-of-life that revolve around art rather than being about the meaty technical stuff.

Also, out of curiosity, how is Honey & Clover? I really liked March Comes in Like a Lion and I've been thinking of buying the H&C manga to read since it has official translations. I know that there's a uhh tiny fairy girl love triangle.

There's Shirobako, also about making anime, though it's more focused on it from a production standpoint than eizouken.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for an anime that does "Music+Mechs save the world"? I tried Listeners and didn't really like the first couple episodes but the concept kicks rear end and I feel certain i've seen gifs or screenshots of dudes playing guitar in a mech or something at some point

Eureka Seven is by the same director as Listeners and shares some concepts with it, though the music stuff is mostly references rather than being a part of the plot.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

While maybe not perfect fits, I think you might really enjoy Kyousougiga, Concrete Revolutio, and Planet With, in addition to the stuff others have already mentioned

edit: yeah Hyouka! That's exactly what you want

Gonna second Concrete Revolutio, the best show of the last decade.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Chocobo posted:

Last recommendation request was very successful, so I'll try something different:

Recommend to me your #1 absolute favorite anime ever, with no context, description, or limitations. Series, OVA, whatever, lets hear it, but limit it to one please!

Patlabor

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Going to ask for a recommendation but keep it wide open this time. Recommend me your weirdest, oddest, most unusual show or movie that most likely made no sense or wasnt even good but you enjoyed anyway. Im even willing to drop the "no horror" stipulation I usually have for this one so go all out on whatever genre you feel like.

Poppy the Performer

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

The subs are at the exact height that the little video bar covers them up so it's totally understandable :D

All of FINAL is on youtube subbed as well in 1080p when you get to that!

Does it have the newer, nicer subs though? The old subs had a couple inaccuracies.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Len posted:

Saw a guy saying to skip the back half of TTGL because unless you've seen Getter Robo you'll hate it. If the back half of TTGL is the best half does that mean I'll dig Getter Robo?

Instead of Armageddon I'll recommend New Getter Robo. It is IMO the best of the Getter OVAs, doesn't assume you're familiar with any older Getter stuff, and deals with themes similar to TTGL.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I can't help you with older stuff, but if you haven't tried Kaguya-Sama Wants To Be Confessed To, you really need to try Kaguya-Sama Wants To Be Confessed To

Apart from being a romcom Kaguya fulfills none of the requirements Heavy Metal asked for.

Edit: More constructively maybe Love is hard for otaku? it's only a couple years old but all the characters are working adults.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 2, 2020

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Dareon posted:

Is there any ridiculous shonen anime... dealing with construction work? Like I'm thinking Yakitate Japan but for Japan Break Industries or something. I want to see secret ancestral joinery techniques performed at super speed.

There's a comedy video game for the psx (i think) with this exact premise, though it was afaik never translated and I'm afraid I can't remember what it was called. sorry.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

infraboy posted:

For some reason I started watching K-on! after watching Evangelion twice and for whatever reason these highschool band girls are so uplifting after a depressing series. Their Japanese is fairly easy to understand too as someone trying to learn the language.

How is the Gurran Lagan series? Im mostly limited to what Netflix offers

It's very good.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of new mecha:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-03-16/sunrise-beyond-bandai-spirits-unveil-kyokai-senki-project-with-fall-tv-anime/.170670

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Full Metal Panic! mechs are roughly the same size as the Code Geass ones. It starts off looking like a high school comedy but very quickly swerves into military war stuff. It's been a while since I watched it but I remember enjoying it quite a bit.

FMP mechs are like, twice the size of CG ones.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tatami Galaxy

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I posted something like this in the chat thread too but it got swallowed up in the conversation so here goes:

I recently rewatched Shirobako. I have a very strong memory of a scene where the protagonist visits an animator that works from home, recieves the cuts from them and then counts the cuts in front of them. The protagonist later learns that that's a rude thing to do. However, there was no such scene in the show when I rewatched it. I have such strong memory of the scene I don't think I dreamed it up but the only other anime about making anime I remember watching is Eizouken, and it definitely isn't from there. Does anyone know which anime this scene is from?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Malsangoroth posted:

You sure it wasn't one of Taro's scenes? I vaguely remember something like that happening.

We never follow Taro to meet an animator outside the studio.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

animation runner kuromi
episode 7 of hackadoll

probably the first of these

It was indeed Animation Runner Kuromi, thank you

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ahobday posted:

Hello I'm looking for the following:
+ Regular, good fight/action scenes
+ People with powers, or mechs
+ Light-hearted-ish
+ Ideally something with compilation movies available if it's long

Things I'd like to avoid:
– Characters screaming about their problems constantly
– Filler. I realise this rules out the majority of famous anime with good fight scenes

I've seen:
✓ Gurren Lagann
✓ One Punch Man
✓ Overlord
✓ Loads of others I probably forget. I'll edit this list as people suggest things I've seen

Majestic Prince

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

What looks better.

You do bae

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Hey, people :wave:

I'm looking for some anime that takes its setting from the RPG game genre. Stuff like peeps forming an adventuring party and fighting monsters and doing some cool poo poo. Doesn't have to be someone from the real world getting sucked into a game world but I guess that's the popular motive. I've watched Overlord which was fairly good at first but fell off for me hard when the main char just became a heartless gently caress for no real reason. Also not a fan of the super sexual adoration some chars have for the main. Recently I stumbled over Rise of the Shield Hero and that was kinda lame too tbh. Had some parts that I liked but the writing was real weak and a ton of characters are just dumb assholes because the story seems to demand it to keep its shallow conflict going and going. The main ending up with a harem of sorts also put me off but I realize that this particular cliche can probably not be avoided. Idk if you have anything in mind that's sorta similar shoot it may way

Konosuba is this kind of show but it's also a comedy. The main character (and others for that matter) can be an rear end in a top hat but that's usually the setup for him becoming the butt of a joke because of it, if that would interest you.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

In retrospect I should've clarified that by "hammy" I meant drama I wouldn't look like a psychopath for laughing at, but I think most people ignored that part anyway!

Why lie about who you really are?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

That Works posted:

I didn't even know IBO was in the UC timeline until they showed the world map with a big crater where Sydney used to be.

It's not, the Sydney thing is an easter egg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Dangercakes posted:

Looking for something colorful and batshit insane to fill the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure-shaped hole in my life. Open to all genres as long as it's ridiculous, fun to watch, and there's minimal tiddy/panty shot fan service.

Concrete Revolutio. It has one pretty egregious tiddy shot in the first ep but like none after that, so don't let that put you off.