Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Linnaeus posted:

you should watch anohana if you haven't already

a kitten posted:

AnoHana is another good suggestion, it is much heavier on the sadness however.

I don't really agree; you may or may not like anohana if crying from happiness/heartwarming is your thing. I felt like laughing from how hard it tried to sell a cheesy, melodramatic ending as a heartwarming finale.

Key anime adaptations are good for heartwarming/destroying romance drama, but the only one on CR is Angel Beats as far as I know. I really liked Angel Beats but it has some obvious production issues in that its second half is very rushed. It's still got some melodrama at the end, but there was enough good stuff there to counter.

N'thing Usagi Drop (the anime). Absolutely adorable and heartwarming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nosam0819 posted:

I don't remember if I posted here already.
zankyou no terror

There are better things of the same type. This season's Perfect Insider might end up being one of them.

I really wish that show went better than it did. The staff was perfect, and it started off so well...

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The first half of Kekkai Sensen. The second half is all downhill.

And Attack on Titan if you somehow lived in a whole for a few years. Not exactly "funny" action, but it was probably the most popular anime in the west in years and definitely delivers in the action department.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Razzled posted:

I really liked Patema Inverted and The Place Promised in our Early Days if you're into sappy stuff like me. I'm also the opposite of viggynash and enjoy sipping the Makoto Shinkai kool aid pretty hard so I also really loved The Garden of Words+5cm/second.

Mamoru Hosoda's stuff are great, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time > Wolf Children > Summer Wars IMO

Time of EVE was compiled into a movie with some additional scenes (show was only 6 episodes) and was a great watch if you're interested in Asimov Foundation/iRobot type stuff.

Personally I think watching ToE one episode at a time is a better experience because it helps to pace things better. The movie just didn't do it for me. But if you do end up liking it and Patema Inverted, check out Yoshiura's previous short movie Pale Cocoon.

I agree on Hosoda, he's a great alternative to Ghibli/Miyazaki stuff. His stuff is a lot less fantasy and much more down to earth.. I don't agree that The Girl Who Leapt Though Time is a better movie than Wolf Children. Almost nothing is a better movie than Wolf Children.

Also, Shinkai is bad. :colbert:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Pavlov posted:

Only if you can stand 50 episodes of japanese slapjack.

Tuns out japanese slapjack is pretty awesome, and very pretty.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Oh my god. Whoever wrote that Psycho-Pass has amazing villains, I can only agree. One smug sonofabitch after the other, each finding new and exciting ways to have poo poo-eating grins. :allears: I really, really hope this show delivers big in terms of karma, these villains are MADE for comeuppance...
Not too happy about the (apparent?) big villain, though; so far he seems like the standard prettyboy philosophizing wannabe ubermensch. Oh well, there's still plenty of time to turn that around. I'm also quite annoyed at the frequent name-dropping that the show does - it comes off as quite pretentious -, but oh well, it makes for cool scenes, and it DOES work for the setting.
I'm thoroughly hooked. And I managed to avoid spoilers, too! So I'm looking forward to any ridiculously stupid twists this show might pull.
Nice show.

Just curious, what episode are you on?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Finished episode 9. There's plenty of eye-rolling moments, but I just HAD to watch until that particular baddie of the week got what was coming for her. I, uh, also deliberately spoiled one thing for me because it was super-late dammit and I need to know NOW
Lesbian schoolgirl comes back! Yay! Man, I felt bad for her, and she felt weirdly important to have such a pointlessly depressing ending. Only... it's in Season 2? Which is apparently very bad? And everybody hates her...? Oh dear.

I think I've accepted by now that this show is like Ghost in the Shell's sillier, less educated cousin. Only the characters are MUCH better, even though they're not anything special... so far. Right now, I'm watching this show for 1) the amazingly hatable villains, 2) more facets of how incredibly hosed up their society is and 3) the hope something really mean happens to the main cast - not because I dislike them, but because those were the absolute greatest scenes in Madoka and Fate/Zero :allears:

I won't claim that Psycho-Pass is quite as mature and intelligent as GiTS (not much is), but later on it does end up carrying some pretty hefty philosophical weight with a deft hand. Never underestimate the Urobutcher.

But yeah, season 2 was a disappointment. Not only was Shimotsuki a thoroughly unlikable character, she was just a plain bad character. And the season as a whole was very unnecesary.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

If you mean Arise, it wasn't terrible but just meh really.

Arise doesn't really say much. Each episode is just a somewhat decent political/action thriller.

IMO, things go downhill starting in 2nd Gig. GiTS never gets bad, but it does start getting generic and moves away from philosophizing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

The first movie is super ambient and talky and has a ton more to say than the second. The second is just slow and pretty, I don't really remember anything philosophical that the first movie didn't already cover. It's worth watching for the dollhouse and the parade though.

Innocence sort of comes at things from a different angle, and also goes into perceptions of reality, but yeah the only thing worth watching the movie for is how goddamn gorgeous it is.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

e: Also, GitS honestly kinda bounces around a lot between philosophical and action-y between incarnations. Sometimes within them, even; the first movie is basically a straight up action movie, whereas the second is talky as hell (though it's stunningly goddamn pretty). It works pretty well either direction they go in, imo.

I think you need to go watch the original movie again.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Wow that really does not look very good. No better than TV anime quality.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It is also bad like all Shinkai that is not Voices of a Distant Star. :v:

In all seriousness, Garden of Words is definitely one to watch if you like 5cm/s.

BTW, among people who like Shinkai, what is the consensus on Place Promised in our Early Days? For me, it starts off very intriguing and pretty (if still very Shinkai), and then... :confused: A whole lotta nonsense happens and it culminates in a non-ending of epicly pointless proportions.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

mikado's cool now

Not so much "cool" as "gone totally crazy".

I suppose that a compliment in this show.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Pavlov posted:

I just realized durarararara is the japanese pronunciation for durrrrr

They named their anime durrrrr

I'm pretty sure he pulled it out of his rear end, like he did Baccano.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Isn't that the shounen thing that started airing earlier this year? Exiled princess goes around looking for the 7 deadly sins, which is just a group of badasses?

If it's that, I remember enjoying the first few episodes despite the boob-grabbing comedy, but I didn't watch past that.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

I watched a trailer and it seemed pretty generic.

I guess, but what I watched of it was pretty fun.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I finally watched the first two episodes of K-on and liked it. I blame you Namtab.

But seriously, it's a good show despite Yui being the blobbiest of moeblobs.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

How do you feel about Mio

She is less amorphous than Yui.

e: But more bouncy.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Darker Than Black is not very shounen, I'm not sure where you heard that. It is a pretty good show however. Not amazing, but pretty good, and well animated.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Wait.

What.

How did I never notice?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
As far as I know, Lupin is the only crime-drama caper anime. I remember asking around for similar shows to Fujiko Mine but everyone drew blanks. Well, except for all of the other Lupin shows.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
No, I would not like to find out more about that man's hemorrhoids.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

Now I need to watch it to see how bad it is.

It wasn't that bad :shrug:

The general consensus in the season thread is that it ranges from pointless to dumb.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I really should go finish the show, the first episode was magical.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
What's not to like about an adorable kid being goofy with her goofy dad? :confused:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I just started reading Blame and it's basically an art book of super cool industrial architecture and body horror organic robots. The presentation isn't always great because it gets rather confusing, but if you just want some drat good art then this is the thing for you.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

...oh hey, something else by Gen Urobuchi. Whaddya know.
To be honest, I don't think that guy is as much of a guarantee of a good show as some people might think... I loved the Madoka series, but HATE HATE HATE Fate/Zero (through almost no fault of the script, admittedly!). And I started out hopeful for, and ended up thoroughly annoyed by Psycho-Pass.

There's been a bunch of shows after Psycho-Pass that have his name attached to them because he comes up with the concept and writes the first episode, but then the job gets handed off to less competent writers and he gets the blowback. I'm sorry you didn't like Fate/Zero or Psycho-Pass but they're pretty well written shows. Urobuchi is nothing if not competent.

Silver2195 posted:

I like the actual Urobuchi shows, but the ones he was more tangentially involved in, like Gargantia and Psycho-Pass 2, tend to be pretty bad. Aldnoah Zero was probably the best of those, and I still wouldn't call it good.

Was he involved in Psycho-Pass 2 much at all? I thought the whole thing was done by the Fafner guy.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Droyer posted:

A tip before starting Diebuster: Go into it with an open mind. It is not more gunbuster, do not expect it to be

Someone should have told me this before I tried the other day. I really tried. But I hated it so much.

Reds posted:

I've never really got it when somebody says "this anime looks/is old" as a negative. What's wrong with old anime? The cut-off line for what is and isn't too old that some people have seems kind of arbitrary.

For me it's about what quality and style you're used to. For me, even early 2000's stuff was pretty trying because the style felt conspicuously weird and the overall animation quality is very different because analog was still the way to go back then. I don't think it was until IG pulled off Stand Alone Complex that things really started changing, though if I'm wrong on that please correct me. At the very least it was around that time.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 19, 2016

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sarrisan posted:

I just finished Hunter-x-Hunter the other day and I'm surprised how much I enjoyed it. It was my first very long series, and also my first straight-shonen. Can anyone recommend another longish series that I might have overlooked for being too mainstream? I gave Fairy Tail the 1-episode treatment and was not very impressed.

Not really. HxH is the best long form "mainstream" shounen out there. Some people recommend Yu Yu Hakushou but I couldn't get into it.

Help Im Alive posted:

I would say that's one of the ones everyone knows

I guess to be more specific since my request wasn't very helpful what are the good anime movies that aren't
- Studio Ghibli
- Satoshi Kon
- Redline
- Akira
- Grave of the Fireflies
- Cowboy Bebop
- Girl Who Leapt Through Time
- 5cm Per Second

(because those are the ones I've already seen)

Ghost in the Shell, seconding the other Hosoda movies (Summer Wars, especially Wolf Children), Evangelion Rebuild 1.11 and 2.22 (and you might as well watch 3.33 at that point)
If you've watched the Madoka series, watch Rebellion.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

True, but this could be a recommendation for anything that isn't "not jojo".

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

what the gently caress, are you seriously calling howl's moving castle, ponyo, and the wind rises terrible films

Eh?

I love Howl's Moving Castle (probably my favorite Miyazaki I've seen), but Ponyo was boring and I really didn't get The Wind Rises. It felt meandering and ultimately kind of pointless.

I also liked Arietty, even if it wasn't as great as other Ghibli stuff.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Brasseye posted:

I just finished Usagi Drop and while different to any other series Ive seen I really enjoyed it. Can anyone recommend something similar?

Barakamon and seconding Yotsuba.

Alternatively,

Davincie posted:

check the single dad thread.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
If you recommend Nichiboys, you'd be remiss not to recommend Nichijou as well. It's wall to wall absurdist comedy with some of the best animation every to grace a TV screen. Also as long as I'm recommending Nichijou, might as well recommend Chromartie High School.

I just finished Nier: Automata (well I have one more main ending to go so not quite but eh) and I'm really in the mood for something else in that vein. Something sci-fi fantasy with an interesting thematically focused story. Also I've probably seen the bigger names already, so give me something not so well known.

VV Tru that.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 23, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Azumanga's OP is still my nuclear option for getting other songs out of my head. It has the tendency to stick around for days or even weeks, though, so it's a last resort.

It's true, Masumi Ito songs own.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

GiantDutchman posted:

The boobs in the new ones have gotten quite ridiculous.

And yet you're enjoying Seven Deadly Sins? That said it is a pretty fun show despite the boob worship stuff.

If you're interested in fantasy drama stuff (judging by your mentions of Lodoss War and Arslan), Twelve Kingdoms is a solid pick. It's an older show too. Also, I'm currently watching Yona of the Dawn and it's been a pretty good fantasy drama so far, and I've heard good things about it overall. But its definitely a more modern show with a few annoying modern anime stylistic choices, especially with its occasional comedy interjections. It's not too bad with it though. Moribito is another modern one, but it's a rather mature show.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

GiantDutchman posted:

The modern anime "boob physics" annoys my wife more than me, though she also enjoyed Sins despite that. I've thought about watching Yona, I'll have to check it out, Twelve Kingdoms is $22 on Amazon so I'll wait till some other service picks it up.

Yona doesn't have any gratuitous boobs to apply dumb boob physics to. There's actually not a lot of female characters period and Yona's design is fairly conservative (Except the eyes. Jun Maeda wants his eyes back). My main issue with it so far is that it has a lot of unnecessary comedy inserts. It's not nearly as bad here as it was in Drifters, which I refuse to watch because that aspect annoys me so much, but it's still a little annoying.

As for 12 Kingdoms, it's worth it at any price. It's a top tier show.

e: Good god, the new OP for the second cour of Yona is utter garbage. Who thought butt rock was a quality follow up to that beautiful first OP song?

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 26, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Just finished Yona and it was... ok. It starts with some great ideas with plenty of potential, and then doesn't really do a lot with it. Obviously part of the issue is that they planned on a second season from the start, but even so the show didn't go very far with its ideas.

Yona's now now she's confident, driven, and can use a bow, but for the most part she's still pretty incompetent and is very often just a damsel in distress. Ironic, given the intend theme of the show. Oh, and she collected the human/dragon McGuffins whose purpose was never explained beyond "they were chosen to serve you". One of the more interesting things that the show did manage to do was to instill in Yona a sense of purpose and emotional strength through the things she witnessed in the course of collecting said McGuffins. But that doesn't explain the leadership qualities that she somehow already possessed but never had a reason to use before. They just... appear.

Honestly, I would much rather have watched a show about Su-won. He was a much more interesting character despite his limited screen time because the show handled his characterization pretty well. Yet despite having so much time to grow Yona, it fails to do much with her. Or anyone else really. All of the other characters are pretty flat and gimmicky. And the show often can't take itself seriously enough to not stuff tons of unnecessary comedy interjections to lighten the mood. It constantly panders to its audience in that way.

Overall, it feels like a case of lost potential.

tl;dr, Yona does some things very well, but not enough for me to recommend as a good fantasy drama or adventure.

The Colonel posted:

i mean, it ends on a cliffhanger because it's a direct adaptation of an ongoing manga, so if you want it to get the chance to fully explore its story that's kind of staring you right in the face

I get that, but it's annoying to realize only at the very end that I just watched 24 episodes of setup. There was no payoff. I don't think this first season had the right focus to make it satisfying on its own, or the ability to present its material in an interesting enough way to make me interested in the story going further. It ended up feeling half baked.

Hell, the yellow dragon literally states the core issue towards the end of the last episode: Yona, at no point throughout this first season, knows what she wants to do. She collected the dragons because she needed something to do after the inciting incident and that's what she was told to do. She could just as easily have gone on her character-building roadtrip with just her starting companions and the story wouldn't be much different. It's not until the last 5 minutes of the show that she makes a decision as to what she wants to do. This is something that the show should have implicitly conveyed through her character arc, not via explicit dialogue right at the very end. It's a bad setup for a second season.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 27, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

the manga is nearly impeccable, I can't say anything about the anime but it sure doesn't sound as impeccable as the manga!

hell one of my favorite characters isn't even part of the main crew. like he's had two major appearances/storyline beats and has showed up a third time recently, but his growth rivals Yona herself. the writing for the characters in Yona is so god drat good and if the anime doesn't even introduce Zeno then it's probably garbage anyways and you should've just gone straight to the manga and looked up key moments in animated form instead

Zeno is such a god drat good character and also his mere existence is a catalyst for the series taking things to another, much more :stare: level

yona is one of the best currently running mangas and it sounds like the anime doesn't do it justice at all

Well that's quite a sell. I might check it out.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

From the New World

Yep.

Also check out some more Gen Urobuchi. Fate/Zero and especially Psycho-Pass.

Also Ghost in the Shell.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

don't watch fate/zero first if you have any interest in any of the other fate stuff

Watch it anyway because ADTRW has a hate boner for kiritsugu and it is in fact far better than all the other Fate/ content.

But it is true that Fate/Zero is an original work by Urobuchi based on the Fate/Stay Night VN rather than being a direct adaptation, and tells a very different kind of story. You should still watch it first, as it will not work quite as well if you already know the important characters from the main Fate/ content.

I will also admit that the "walking ominously in a circle" scene was kind of dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I would be ok with Twelve Kingdoms becoming the new blanket recommendation show.

At the very least, it's a whole lot more palatable for a wider audience than LOGH. My issue with the dozen episodes of it that I watched was that, as competent a story as it was, it was just never entertaining. There weren't any core themes for me to be interested in, nor was the setting interesting enough in its own right to want to see more of it. It's a show that only really works if you get attached to and invested in the characters involved, but none of them did that for me. The only reason I watched up to a dozen or so episodes was because of how fanatically people would recommend it.

Ytlaya posted:

Regarding Yona from a few posts back, it is quite good though I think your enjoyment of it will depend somewhat on how you much you enjoy reverse harems. I think that people who either enjoy reverse harems or aren't familiar with them will probably be able to enjoy it the most (though almost anyone would still probably like it at least some). The former for obvious reasons, and the latter because I think a lot of reverse harem/shoujo tropes will just go over the head of someone who isn't already familiar with them (since they don't tend to be as obvious and in your face as the T&A you see in shounen harems). Hak is very much "50+% of all shoujo love interests ever", for example.

That makes sense, thinking back on it. As someone who does not give the slightest poo poo about harems, none of that interested me, so I guess I was doomed to not like it. Shame, because it has good ideas.