Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I actually haven't seen that and probably should, thanks friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

flip flappers is nothing like madoka outside of being a magical girl show with dark themes

this is everything i know about madoka, and also sounds pretty neat, so maybe i'll just watch both

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

devtesla posted:

If you want a lot of extreme emotion you should try sports anime.

Are there any sports anime that you'd recommend that sounds similar to the kind of show I'm looking for

I liked ping pong but for the most part I've never been terribly excited by sports shows and as a result haven't seen many of them. Glancing down that op, none of those shows sound like the kind of thing I'm looking for, what show in particular do you think would be a good fit for my ask?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Grimgar is really good, can confirm

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Sounds like a pretty healthy pack of recommendations for me, thanks guys!

I'll try to report back when I watch something

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if you watched durarara i hope you've already seen/plan on watching baccano next

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure baccano is availed subbed for free on youtube. The dub is fantastic though, but I don't know if it's on hulu

I thiiiink the first 2 episodes are available dubbed on the funimation youtube channel too? Not sure though

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm enjoying madoka well enough so far. just finished the third episode.

the visuals and atmosphere for this show are really spot on, so far they're kind of carrying the show. i understand that the big plot stuff isn't quite in play yet, though i thought that when blondie died it seemed a bit, i dunno, off tonally? like it seems like this is a really big shaping moment for the characters, but the death isn't really shown in any particular detail and they spend incredibly little time on the characters' reactions to it until a little while later, after black hair has killed the witch. the impact feels a little lessened for me, though next episode miss "i'm not sure i even want a wish" can just wish her back to life i guess

they're putting an awful lot of emphasis on the importance of the wishes, which seems a little strange so far since they haven't really hinted at it being a monkey's paw type deal or anything. i guess that's something that will just make more sense after the wishes have been made.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ok so episode 4 really delivered on what i was looking for

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Mayoiga is fantastic and I love it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't think that character designs are generally a good thing to judge a show off of tbh

hxh and jojo are easily the two best long running shonen anime by a wide margin

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

AfricanBootyShine posted:

It's a visual art form, if the visuals are mediocre it's going to take a lot to make up for it imo. JoJo was great because the design was so far off the wall, and DiU excelled in its use of color.

this is true, but generally i think of the actual animation as being the important factor there, rather than just character designs. but also good writing is so important to a good show and that's not something you'd be able to tell from character designs either.

i tend to look at character designs as something that can sell me on a show as being visually interesting, but aren't important enough to deter me from watching a show (unless the designs are like, super skeevy or something i guess).

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's difficult to say that you've gotten into the real "meat" of hxh until the yorknew auction arc, which doesn't happen until like 30 episodes in. i definitely don't expect you or encourage you to watch that much if you aren't feeling it! 5 episodes is probably a good stopping point if you still don't like it. the tone of hxh can change quite a bit depending on which arc you're in, but yorknew is where it starts really getting into the heavy drama and mixes the odd world, odd moral tone, and the established superpower system (which won't get introduced until like episode 23 or something) to create a fairly unique story.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i need something that isn't very serious and has some really good action

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

Re: Cutie Honey

i have seen all of these recommendations except this one

a kitten posted:

Chaika the Coffin Princess

this is basically the ideal of what i'm looking for. the closer i can get to "chaika, again" the better

before anyone suggests it: i've seen some of scrapped princess and i wasn't impressed enough with the action to keep going honestly

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Ok, I've binged 12 eps of Hunter x Hunter and it's definitely not what I'm looking for. It's enjoyable, and I really like the characters, but there's too much wasted time with the arcs. I can't put my finger on it, but it's got what I hate most about Naruto/DBZ/Bleach, where stories that could be told in one episode are stretched across three, and the story/humor aren't good enough to make up for it.

i know what you're saying, and it's not that hxh isn't kinda slow, but man i loving wish naruto/dbz/bleach had hxh's pace. naruto at least has cool enough fight scenes that i'd probably actually watch it

Nate RFB posted:

I assume you've probably already seen/are watching reading/bounced off the big shounen stuff, right? Cause for better or worse the first thing that came to mind was One Piece, Onepunch Man, and My Hero Academia.

i have not seen one piece, but from what i gather...

DamnGlitch posted:

One piece is not gonna work for him, but if he hasn't seen one punch man it's basically exactly what he's lookin for.

is exactly right. sadly, i have seen one punch man, and my hero academia (both were really good, even though MHA kind of overused the swelling music while deku cries thing)

i gave soul eater a shot last night. i liked the first episode fairly well. i've heard the name around but tbh i didn't know anything about it and what i got wasn't quite what i expected (i'm glad it's literally about eating souls though). also that moon is rad as hell and i love it.

i'm gonna try to give re:cutie honey a shot some time today too.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

my hero academia might not be a bad rec for AfricanBootyShine if he really doesn't want to bite the bullet on gintama

thinking about it more, maybe Drifters too?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Baccano is definitely one of my favorite animes. Durarara I liked, but I set it down at some point and kind of never really felt like picking it back up

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Have you seen gundam thunderbolt?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

uguu posted:

I haven't. Will it bum me out?

It bummed me out

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Have you tried mob psycho 100?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Pavlov posted:

Trapped in a game plots are definitely creatively bankrupt, but I'd force myself to watch one if they at least got the MMO player names right. Everyone always seems to have short proper sounding names in the shows. Realistically the protagonists should be a team of ~Nyan-Senpai~, DarkEdgeMaster, and xXWeedGokuXx, against the evil SANDERS2020.

play the .hack games

the .hack animes are dreadfully boring unfortunately, but my favorite thing about .hack//gu is going to the in-game online message board and reading detailed, fictional flamewars, then going into the game and meeting those same flamewar-participants and trading with them for items

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i've been replaying g.u. recently and i like it quite a bit tbh, and i generally hate jrpgs

the original games had awful gameplay though and even with the assistance of 2 roommates and booze i could not get past halfway through game 2

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

one thing i did like about the original games is that while going through //infection, my roommates paused and said "what's that up there in the sky?" and we spend a few minutes staring up at the skybox to be amazed by the giant, unexplained airship thing just floating around up there, dominating huge portions of the skybox at once. then, after we beat the game, an email said "come visit the giant floating skyship in a postgame dungeon" and we said "gently caress, we HAVE to go there" and actually did postgame content of a jrpg for once

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Matoi Ryuko posted:

.hack//sign has the best soundtrack

also this is very true and honestly the ED is the single best part of sign

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i honestly don't have a terribly strong opinion of the trapped in a game setting. the only one of those that i really liked was grimgar, but i can't say i've seen many of those that i found offensive. SAO (at least for like 12 episodes) and danmachi i thought were decent if not exceptional (the fights were good, which is probably a bigger deal for me than most other people i guess?), and konosuba is pretty funny. i watched like 5 episodes of logged horizon, i ended up saying "well this is pretty neat, i'll set it down and pick it back up tomorrow" and then never particularly felt like picking it back up again.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

someone a little while ago in this thread suggested kaiji to me and i tried episode 1 a little while ago and despite requiring sleep i ended up watching the next 5 episodes without stopping

the pacing's a little slow but i'm really digging the music and silly stylized art.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

holy poo poo kaiji got real hosed up real fast

i dig it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The entire bridge part of the starside hotel arc in kaiji is the single cruelest and most brutal sequence of events I've ever seen in a TV show and there wasn't even any blood. I am trying to get all my friends to watch kaiji too now, thanks adtrw friends for bringing kaiji to my attention.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is Baccano! available on netflix?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

asking for a friend: what are some good animes that are depressing, but in a fantastical kind of way? like, she likes neon genesis evangelion and madoka magicka, but not something as "real" as gundam thunderbolt? if that makes sense? she also really likes terror in resonance, if that helps.

i'm drawing a blank for recommendations so i thought that maybe the fine anime experts here at Something Awful might be more knowledgeable than i

a 12 episode anime would be ideal

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

have you seen jojo?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Wrench dude did throw me off, but like psycho dude did stomp down one of knife girl's thrown knives while it was in mid air, so that's kinda always been in the show

I wish I remembered any of their names. It's time for me to rewatch baccano I think

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is Patema Inverted good? i remember seeing people talk about it, but how much of it is good movie vs cool concept?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

cool i was hoping someone would give me a yes or no really quickly. thanks guys!

what are some other good anime films? ideally ones with cool concepts and not too much brutal violence (the person i'm watching these with is kinda squeamish). being easily available on netflix or crunchyroll is a huge plus too.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Patema Inverted was really good! i wish we got to see more of the city in the sky though. it's kind of really weird that they fly up there, interact with basically nothing (when the size and still functioning electricity and lights everywhere would suggest that people live there), then go back down and never speak of it again.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah see i knew all that, i just didn't have a good way of describing that city other than "the one in the sky" because that's what ti is for most of the movie

i didn't know it was a fake city though? where was that said in the movie? i thought it was a fully functional city. why is there a fake city there? who put it there? what?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Let's put that theory to the test:

Horizon On The Edge Of Nowhere

i never want to watch this because i'm 100% certain that nothing could ever be as incredible as the wikipedia plot summary of that makes it sound

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Coffin princess chaika is a decent choice too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Are there any non-gundam mecha animes with animation on par with the recent gundam OVAs (unicorn and thunderbolt)