Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this is also why all yuri manga to anime adaptations being 12 episodes long is a bit of a problem

hidamari sketch isn't explicitly romance but it's the closest i can think for a long running adaptation with heavy emphasis on gay relationships between the cast that doesn't have particularly heavy fanservice... well outside of the one wacky teacher lady so i guess she's the make or break part. and again it's not like, strictly a romance thing, a lot of it's still playing more on subtext and the most relevant characters for this are the more supporting half of the main four. their stuff is good tho

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the arc of bloom involving the two leads interacting with each other under the pretense of romance that burns into a genuine love for each other is not dissimilar from utena centering on the "fake" husband/wife dynamic between utena and anthy, to anthy coming to genuinely understand utena and how utena cares for her and being able to truly reciprocate it at the end. romance blooming out of what seemed like initially false pretenses is one of the oldest stories in the book

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the characters in bloom into you are not hiding their queerness, the arc of the narrative is about them becoming comfortable with it and expressing it more openly

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
frankly i don't think there's reason to have that much issue with a lot of other stuff you could recommend if you're okay with utena. it's in roughly the same playing field as most other yuri, and it's easy to glance over some of its weirder moments but its own outlook on some ideas about gender and sexuality are more complicated and less strictly progressive than it can be remembered for. this isn't to say utena is bad actually but in most of the ways you could have issues with any other yuri work i have never felt utena has dodged those bullets

Paracelsus posted:

That's not really how I recall it. Juuri was a fairly open lesbian, but Utena was looking for her prince, there was some chemistry with Touga, and her relationship with Anthy was closer to friendly roommates for most of the run. The 2-naked-girls-car stuff came at the end of the movie.

also worth noting that, juri's writing overall paints her relationship with being a lesbian, in fairly odd ways. she's one of the most interesting characters in the show but also one of the weirdest as far as how she's explored, she never gets the same kind of clear answer about herself and her future that utena and anthy do

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 24, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the lesson here isn't that the perfect lesbian narrative doesn't exist it's that all these kinds of stories are delving into complicated subjects and if you're too quick to judge based purely on your own perspective you're going to cut off most routes for any story to really express anything on these topics

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Slyphic posted:

Me: I'm looking for stories about girls who are comfortably romantically involved with each other and their developing relationship from that point on.

You: texbook homophobia.

Consider as explicit from this point on any comment I make is directed at anyone but you.

she was angry you keep calling an explicit lesbian romance story plausibly deniable gaybait because it has a narrative arc. it doesn't feel good to have someone deny a story's meaning to you because it didn't fit the vague but oddly strict criteria that's been set up, especially when the example set is exactly the same sort of romantic arc.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah it was just bamco execs being stupid because it's a huge corporation and there's still people in the higher places of management who think it's societal taboo to depict gay people

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the touhou manga aren't exactly explicitly romantic but hell, i'll throw out a recommendation to check out touhou stuff also cause it's very accessible and basically endless as a space for open expression and the official manga are a lot of fun as an entry point

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
versailles is, a really neat historical drama. would not recommend it for the gay given the most interesting part of the story for that ends with them carting off the girl who's gay for oscar literally an episode later and having her marry a guy off screen. oniisama e is the better riyoko ikeda adaptation for that kind of stuff but also not something i'd strictly recommend for it cause the last ten episodes kinda suck rear end. insanely cool right up to before that though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
might want to have her switch off to the neverland manga after season 1 if she likes it cause season 2 is a heavily truncated mess that relegates the entire rest of the manga to an ending montage lol

lycoris recoil is another recent popular show for a cool action thing about lesbian leads and iirc should be age appropriate, though i haven't finished watching it myself. it's got big gun action but one of the main duo's defining thing is that she fights nonlethally

dungeon meshi is probably one of the best current things you could've picked for this, frankly, so that's cool.

there's a lot of other shows i'd like to name like symphogear and flip flappers, but they're kinda aimed at an older audience so i'm not sure they'd be appropriate. harder to find action shows explicitly about lesbians that stick closer tone and content-wise to something like idk, precure. doesn't have a lesbian protag exactly but she might enjoy kyousougiga if she'd like to watch a weird girl with a hammer smash stuff in a funny painting world

e; .hack//sign is cool but it's pretty slow and talky and the cool stuff it does with the protag coming to understand their gender and sexuality is like a whole arc across the story so it depends on how much she'd like goofy mmo jokes in place of cool action. sao alternative: gun gale online works good as a standalone thing separate from the entire rest of sao and is entirely about two lesbians who do cool action stuff in an mmo to unwind together so that might work, the action scenes in that are fun and the characters are largely pretty cool as long as you're okay with m being a bit of a harmless weirdo

i also like niea_7, haibane renmei and yokohama kaidashi kikou a lot but those again lean more on weird people hanging out in weird fantasy/sci fi worlds more than action so it really depends on what she thinks is "cool" right now lol. i wanna say rinne no lagrange but that one has some really bad episodes in season 2, it ends pretty well but i wouldn't blame you if a couple of those weirder moments end up souring it, they come really out of left field

honestly gonna double my rec for checking out touhou under these conditions also cause that's basically all of touhou is lesbians doing crazy poo poo. the manga tend to lean more slice of life but they still mix a lot of wacky poo poo in there as per the nature of the setting, especially in something like wild and horned hermit and forbidden scrollery

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Canon gay is overrated. Free your mind