Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
actually, king gainer rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ninjewtsu posted:

what is a good anime that stars a female main character who uses a sword

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Captain Invictus posted:

I bet this series that popped up in the rotation recently on kissmanga handles its subject very well and not incredibly offensively, especially with a seventh chapter simply titled "Japs"

this is in now way an actual recommendation, but I do love that they just keep on trying these really out there premises that are most likely completely horrible and insulting

i mean, it's hard to stop producing manga with ridiculous premises when there are thousands of individual manga authors deciding to make them

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

uhm, why do you think it's most likely completely horrible and insulting

iirc he had a similar reaction to the manga Kiss My rear end

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm not gonna pre-judge manga for bizarre premises when midori days ended up being one of my favorite romantic comedy stories ever

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

littleorv posted:

Someone recommend me an anime with a really good/satisfying ending pretty please

Midori Days
Symphogear

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Kyousougiga

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
casshern sins
digimon: our war game
one piece: the island of baron omatsuri
samurai champloo
kemonozume
jojo's bizarre adventure the ova (mostly episodes 5&6)
one-punch man

symphogear is a show full of absolutely loving hilariously amazingly over-the-top, legitimately good and fun action stuff but most of it comes in after the first four episodes and it doesn't quite pass the "no moe or fanservice" qualification. i still recommend it though because even if you don't like those first four episodes, immediately after episode 4 it becomes this upward spiral of insane plot developments and explosive chaos and the second season of the show has one of the greatest villains of all time

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
along with giant robo, watch mobile fighter g gundam and shin mazinger shougeki z-hen

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
watch the one movie and the episode that mamoru hosoda directed cause they're extremely good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kyousougiga isn't entirely an action show, but it's really cool anyway

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Torquemadras posted:

I think I tried that one at some point, probably due to the second gif you posted there!
Only watched the first episode - really did have nice action, but felt painfully cliched, like the most utterly generic people-with-powers thing. Not really bothered by the fanservice, just... didn't really catch my interest. Maybe I should give it another chance.

the story and characters in yzq are pretty standard, but if you don't like that personally i still feel like it has some really great action. give it a few more episodes, cause the next few iirc have some awesome bits and the two ovas have some of the best action scenes ever

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Torquemadras posted:

Aaaaand now I've watched Read or Die OVA as well. :toot:

Any other short action shows? I really liked Kyosougiga, and I'm a huge fan of the action in FLCL/Diebuster, as well as the more intense scenes in One Punch Man. It seems really tough to find this sort of frantic super-kinetic action :(

i just remembered, symphogear

it starts out a bit slow but like right after the fourth episode, every episode of the show past that has some of the most loving awesome amazing action ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMVIAN6hMVE

this continues through all three seasons, and presumably will through the next two seasons that just got announced today

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 29, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Torquemadras posted:

I've never seen any Macross so far! (Apparently it has a... singing shtick? What? WHAT?)

macross and macross plus have idol singers as key parts of the plot, in macross' case because its plot focuses around culture and how it affects the invading giant alien race and gives them something to hold in common with humanity that ultimately brings the two groups together. the pilots themselves don't sing

quote:

Speaking of singing shtick

Well alright, curiosity piqued, I will watch this drunk and see if it's awesome enough to overcome the apparent shame of watching a cast of teenage popstars battle-sing at aliens! :v:

you shouldn't feel shameful about watching fun things. do keep in mind though, the first four episodes are completely different in tone from the rest and much lighter on action of that same ridiculously fast style. the end of episode 4 is where it starts to get amazing

Darth Walrus posted:

Expect ridiculous high camp, not logical character behaviour or plot progression. This is a show with lines like 'I neutralised the explosion with a martial-arts technique' and 'now adjusting K2 to status of world's third-highest mountain' where characters surf on swords, suplex space shuttles, and punch the everloving poo poo out of the moon. It isn't hiding a clever little coming-of-age story behind its ridiculous bombast like Kyosougiga or FLCL, it's pure anime B-movie, and while it is pretty lovable, that's what you'd have to be prepared to love it for. Nick Creamer's ANN reviews are a decent primer.

what is reading reviews of the series going to do to make them more enjoyable if you're already going in knowing what to expect

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
all the stuff with kaiki owned and he's one of my favorite characters in the series, but i don't think it's an overstatement to say that nise spent way more time on the fanservicy aspects than any other season

also don't worry torquemadras, if you're uncomfortable with it, outside of the designs for the symphogear armor i don't think there's actually a lot of fanservice in symphogear. there are some odd bits in the earlier half of season 1 that might weird you out a bit, but they're really short and it never really approaches anything like that again

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 29, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
actually, have you ever played any of the wild arms games? if you have, you can expect some little similarities in the writing cause symphogear is written by the writer of those games, akifumi kaneko

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Davincie posted:

right, what order do i actually watch Kyousougiga in? there's a bunch of ovas and stuff but apparently they are also partly included in the tv show?

just watch the show. the ovas are pretty much just proof of concept without any real story established, and the ".5" episodes are just additional material exploring the cultural references in the show and, iirc, the characters commentating over the story

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

AlternateNu posted:

They're definitely bottom tier -gataris, though.

nah they're cool

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
would a rec for nine hours, nine persons, nine doors on the ds be acceptable here?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Torquemadras posted:

Okay, after 9 episodes or so, I feel confident in saying: Symphogear is good

It's just so earnest in what it does! At first I thought the squeaky pool noodle disco monsters where dumb, but now they seem like a perfect fit for it. Goddamn. It really doesn't look to have much of a budget (first season at least), but I hope they keep ramping this up. I want to see stuff destroyed. Also, red-haired kungfu dude is my hero.

Favorite scene of the entire show so far:

:madmax: "I'm here to help you!"
:stare: "NO I'LL NEVER TRUST ADULTS AGAIN"
* jumps out of window, transforms, buttrock blares *

get ready, because the ending of the first season is the greatest thing ever

and then everything in season 2 one-ups it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phobophilia posted:

Symphogear G villains were chumps, but Symphogear GX villains are slick as hell.

please don't say this about Humanity's Last Action Hero

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the fanservice didn't bother me, the bad jokes did

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
no game no life is a very pretty show starring a couple of intentionally unlikable people making references to better anime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't mind the concept behind it but for some reason i just remember really hating something about how it was executed

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
worth noting that the eternity series is mostly written by kotaro uchikoshi, the writer of the zero escape games and Punch Line

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kurtofan posted:

I've got crunchyroll to watch Jojo and I was wondering what else is good on there at the moment.

Squid Girl, Kyousougiga, Erased, Space Patrol Luluco, Mr. Osomatsu, Gurren Lagann, Punch Line, Shirobako, Watamote, Kaiji

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kurtofan posted:

Thanks, shame that over half of these are unavailable for my country :(

if kyousougiga is one of them, then it is time for me to fight for people's right to watch the best anime ever made

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
otaku no video is amazing, but it probably helps that i'm into older anime as much as i am into new stuff so i got most of the humor that centered around that

i love the scene where they're all freaking out about the mechanical design in do you remember love

also daicon iv owns and introduced me to elo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

littleorv posted:

Recommend me some feels anime. I want to cry like a little girl

Kyousougiga

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you want feels anime and you haven't watched all of yuasa's stuff yet, kaiba

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. There's even one whole episode that's just the animators messing around with different styles of animation.

Tenamonya Voyagers, from the same director as Monogatari, is an old ova that might also fit. I'd recommend Birdy the Mighty: Decode, but it only really does anything like that in the last episode, though the style it has is already pretty unusual and cool-looking.

Kyousougiga might also fit, it doesn't experiment with different styles much but it does have interesting direction and surreal, beautiful visuals, but that might just be me wanting to take any opportunity to recommend Kyousougiga to everyone on Earth.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 18, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Oh yeah, it might also be worth giving Kino's Journey a look. It's a pretty surreal, philosophical anime with a pretty dreamlike presentation and it often ties the themes of an episode into how it's directed.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 18, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Space Dandy is a huge bag of different stories featuring the same cast of characters from different directors and some of the episodes are absolutely what you're looking for, also. Most of them lean on the side of fun space comedy stuff, though, so be ready if you give it a look.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 18, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Space Dandy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

littleorv posted:

Have you tried gluing cd cases to the back of your DVD/bluray player?

whoa, brutal

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
in addition, birdy decode s2 is one of the most fantastic sci-fi action character drama stories ever with some ridiculously cool action scenes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
birdy the mighty decode season 1 is alright, but it's really worth watching for season 2, which is imo one of the loving coolest character driven sci-fi stories ever. and bubblegum crisis is really awesome, too

you could also watch dirty pair, which is about a pair of space cops fighting crime in space and on alien planets.

i really love space dandy but i can understand why you'd drop it if you're looking for a space adventure thing, since it's really more of a showcase for a huge mishmash of directors making their own individual stories featuring the same cast of characters

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Kyousougiga is largely an emotional thing for me, I'm able to forgive all of the flaws it has because it's a story that consistently hits me really hard. If it didn't click with you, well, then, I guess that's that. Nothing left to say.

Other than You're Freakin' Dead Punk!!!!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
like i said, i love kyousougiga a lot because it's an anime that makes me Feel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Fsmhunk posted:

The angels had somewhat weak personalities, I hope that Godzilla Isn't made as secondary as the Angels became later on. Honestly I started liking all the characters at least a little but in the end I just wanted them all to die, maybe they did, the ending wasn't too clear.

watch end of evangelion