Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

a kitten posted:

it's very scary

the horror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Torquemadras posted:

Spooky animes, please :ghost:

It isn't :ghost:-spooky, but have you seen Monster? The art and mood becomes very scary at times, but it's less supernatural and more psychological.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Namtab posted:

autism is no joke

It is, however, pretty lame.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

There's Baccano, to make you realize how much you need 1930s East Coast accents in your life.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I don't think I'll get good results from posting in Games, so is it okay if I ask for VN recommendations here? I was gifted World End Economica and I thought it was good so now I'm looking to explore more of the medium. I don't have any particular genre in mind, just want to try the "classics". Preferably on Steam, or otherwise easily accessible for a dumb English-speaker.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Not interested in anything explicit.

Umineko no Naku Koro Ni isn't on Steam (but apparently will be someday), but wikipedia says this and this are prequels. Are they any good?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Thanks for the tip, Seafood. Unfortunately it seems I can't actually buy it. The Witch Hunt website links to mangagamer, but they have removed the game from their catalog. It's not even listed under the 07th Expansion section. I'll email them, maybe it's just a mistake.

Steins;Gate is a good idea that I should have thought of myself and it looks like it's actually easy to buy. Thanks Allarion!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The mangagamer people replied to me. Posting in case others care:

quote:

Hello Vostok!

Thank you for contacting us! We were selling an older version of Umineko on our store for some time, but recently removed it.

That being said, we have partnered with 07th Expansion and Witch Hunt to bring fans a brand-new version of Umienko with an updated translation, the full original soundtrack, and snazzy character artwork! We will be publishing it on our website and on Steam. However, we do not have an estimated release date for the Umineko chapters just yet. We recommend keeping an eye on our project status page for that information as it is released, or our Twitter account for our bi-weekly updates.

If you have any other questions or concerns we can address, please let us know and we'll be more than happy to help!

Best Regards,
MangaGamer Staff

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

Where? It's not on Steam. The fan page linked on the last page also juts goes to Manga Gamer, and I can't find it on there.

I posted an email from MangaGamer on the last page. Basically we have no hope of getting Umineko for some time.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

If music be the food of love, K-on!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

That reminds me that I haven't read part 2 yet, I think I'll pick that up.

Nox, be ready to yell "efficient market hypothesis" at the screen every time the MC does something dumb

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

yae no sakura is cool

This

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Definitely check out the animated movie when you've seen the show though. That one is good

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Torquemadras posted:

Well, thanks to this thread, I've watched Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

I love it! The characters animation seems quite static in places, and I have a totally unreasonable hatred for all the Iscander characters, but oh boy, that sure is a show about a real fuckin awesome battleship fighting space nazis. I love the space battles. The ships are awesome, the technobabble is fun, the strategies are great, and I love the old school laser sounds. Got the biggest possible :haw: grin during episode 25.

"They cannot possibly shoot at us! Beam weapons don't work in here!"
"OH poo poo THEY'RE FIRING ACTUAL ARTILLERY SHELLS"

I also appreciate that it's not just dumb evil nazis on the antagonist's side, there's all sorts, including downright decent dudes watching out for their men, handsome rogues with a SPACE SUBMARINE, rebels - and still cartoonishly evil nazis, because those guys make great villains.
Also butts. So many butts. Including one instance of incredibly blatant robot butt. Bless you, Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

What other shows are there with incredible displays of badass men/women staring each other down and pulling off amazing strategies? Doesn't have to be space, doesn't have to be sea, doesn't matter. I want a badass crew on a badass vessel.

Did you watch the Yamato movie? Odyssey of the Celestial Ark

The movie introduces the guys who are going to be the antagonists in Yamato 2202.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Fsmhunk posted:

I must not run away... Here I go.

it all comes tumbling down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

I need recommendations for anime that came out this year. I usually have at least two or three under my belt by now for the annual forum vote, but new job has made time for sifting through the typical heaps-o-crap difficult. I haven't even had a chance to watch Diamonds are Unbreakable, yet. :/

But, I am going to try to hunker down and knock a few series out with some upcoming free time. So, lay'em on me.

netoge is very funny