Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
Anybody got any good world-building shows? A lot of shows have interesting settings but never really reach beyond what's going on in front of the main characters's faces at any given point. Whether it's a good old fashioned adventure or just a show that likes to talk about its world a lot, that's the sort of thing I'd like to see. I've watched quite a lot of anime so I might have already watched most of the good examples, but any recommendations are appreciated.

I loved Juuni Kokuki/The Twelve Kingdoms for this, where they took the time to go into detail over stuff as minute as how the government allocates land.

If anybody has any good "let's just go on an adventure" shows that'd be cool too. Shows that are generally fun would be nice too. Just finished rewatching The Tower of Druaga, that show was the best for being fun.

Oh, and to make one last demand, it might be a little simple but anybody know shows with good swordfights? For such a universal protagonist weapon the list of shows with good proper swordfights is awfully low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (especially 2nd GiG) for the first pair, and Samurai Champloo for the last two.

Thank ye kindly. GitS is usually one of those things that people usually start with but I still haven't watched it, I should really do that. Gonna watch Champloo after I finally watch Bebop. Been watching anime for two or so years and I still haven't watched a show that's many people's first anime.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

If you've managed to avoid Chaika, that satisfies both of these (well, it's often daggers vs. swords, but the fights are well-choreographed).

Yeah, I watched Chaika while it was airing, that first fight with Nikolas (I think that was his name, the guy with the large sword) is a standout fight.

Seirei no Moribito didn't have much action and the protagonist used a spear, but what it did have was fantastic. Great anime in general. Just want to throw that show out there as a general recommendation.

Haven't watched Legend of the Galactic Heroes yet. Even though I watch lots of long anime the hundred-plus episode count is daunting.

Reds fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 24, 2015

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Other decent world-building:
  • Patlabor OVAs
  • Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (manga, the movie just doesn't have the time for it)
  • ...I feel like there should be more
Katanagatari is fantastic and features really stylish "sword" fighting and good adventure.

Ah, and Rage of Bahamut: Genesis is a really solid adventure show from a year or so back.

Watched both, I've watched most of the airing stuff from the last couple of years. Get hyped for Bahamut season 2, coming whenever. Get less hyped for the yuri-bait high school spin-off thing.

Haven't watched Nausicaa though. I've watched Patlabor though.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nausicaa is great, but the manga's better. And well worth hunting down the giant two-volume hardcover boxed set.

Yes, I keep meaning to buy the Nausicaa manga but I couldn't find it at the last con I went to. Most of the reason why I hadn't watched it was because I wasn't sure if I should read the manga first or not.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

The conundrum for Nausicaa that I had was that I knew that the manga was better, so I wasn't sure whether to watch the movie first where I wouldn't get the "oh this isn't as good as the manga" feeling, but then I wouldn't be able to go into the manga without knowing anything about it.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Jimbot posted:

Can anyone recommend a fun shounen show that's on Crunchyroll? I've seen HunterxHunter and Magi, both of which I liked. I still occasionally watch One Piece despite how much I think the pacing is rubbish. Jojo's fun too if you consider that shounen. I've seen enough of Bleach and Naruto to know that it's not really my thing.

Nanatsu no Taizai/The Seven Deadly Sins is loads of fun and is nicely animated and paced. When it was airing I felt it didn't really get going until Ban showed up which is four or five episodes in but once it gets into its groove it doesn't stop.

And like Devil Tesla said there's Ushio to Tora, which is basically a time-displaced nineties shounen on account of being an adaptation of an early nineties shounen manga.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Allarion posted:

I hear Moribito is good too but I haven't watched it for myself yet.

Go watch Moribito right now, it's the best. It's in my top five shows.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Allarion posted:

My backlog is long and vast unfortunately. Still on Utena at the moment, and then maybe the monogataris after that since that's a popular topic at the moment. But yeah, Moribito's been on my list.

As long as it isn't stuck at the bottom of the backlog I'll be happy.

You know, with Utena, I don't think I've ever watched a show in a "I need to watch nothing else until I finish this and watch it all very quickly" fashion and get to the end completely unsure if I actually liked it or not. I can't decide if the excessive symbolism is ultimately good or just kind of going too far and sticking it's head up its own rear end. And I'm not saying that in a "I didn't get it so it's dumb" way either. I guess I found it engaging enough? I dunno. Utena was kind of a really boring character too.

The one thing I can be sure about is that the action was absolutely awful. There is o excuse for the same lazy fight with zero choreography where Utena blocks for a bit then wins in one stock footage attack every episode, particularly when there's all that stock footage in order to conserve us budget for said fights. I know that the action isn't the focus or point of Utena but that's no excuse for garbage action.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

Let me know if you ever wanna see two dudes chopping each other up with swords though, I'll set you up.

Hit me. I've got Champloo down on my backlog but I need more. I should probably get back to Chevalier too.

Unless it's something like Shigurui. I'm not exactly afraid of gore or anything but I've never been one for the good old ultraviolence.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

Sword of the Stranger is good for what ails you if what ails you is a lack of sweet sword fights. It's a movie though, not a TV series.

Yeah, SotS is pretty much the go-to for really nice sword action. Anybody got any series that fall on the lesser known side? I've probably cleared through most of the better examples by now.

Oh, and has anybody else watched The Tower of Druaga? I was recently rewatching it and the first season was way better than I remembered it being. I'm looking for another show with that sense of fun.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

All of you should go watch Zegapain. Preferably knowing as little as possible. It's a mecha series, but the focus isn't on the mecha or action so don't treat it as one.

Zegapain is loving fantastic and I cannot recommend it enough for anybody who wants to watch a sci-fi show.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

You watch Unicorn for the animation and fights, the plot falls apart completely towards the end and half the plot is built around space nazi apologism.

"now guys i know that zeon is responsible for the deaths of literally half of humanity, nearly all of said deaths being in space colonies, either through colony dropping, nerve gassing entire colonies, and general warfare, and it was established in 0079 that most people living in space hate zeon, and the leaders were unashamed dictators propping up a dead man's ideology to spur the followers into supporting their war machine, but zeon did absolutely nothing wrong and was the light of hope for all people living in space who all completely support them, and they did absolutely nothing wrong in the war other than start it and drop that one colony"

There's a part where the MC is questioned on why Zeon is bad and all he's able to muster is "u-uh, they started the war and dropped the colony" and Unicorn proceeds to treat Zeon as if that was all they ever did wrong.

It also relies on a ridiculous retconned conspiracy, and a "what's in the box" plot where what's in the box is really stupid. The entire plot is also irrelevant because of Gundam F91 and Victory, which already stated that when Zeon finally hosed off they had like 60 or so years of peace before people living in colonies went insane and started making aristocracies and cults their leaders. Unicorn also pushes the Newtype future a lot when F91 and Victory show that Newtypes went nowhere and are barely remembered.

The best way to describe Unicorn would be "delusions of grandeur".

Reds fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 22, 2015

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

To the guy who mentioned Houshin Engi in the first few pages of the thread, a 90s shounen even I had never heard of, thanks for doing so, since I'm eight episodes in and it's actually really good. And surprisingly for a nineties shounen by Deen of all studios, it actually has pretty good animation and art quality.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Good fanservice compliments, bad fanservice is intrusive.

Most of the time I just wish it wasn't there to begin with because most of the time it's unnecessary and stuck in for pandering. It's a fine line and most things charge straight over it.

Reds fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 25, 2015

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

What's that even from, anyway? I've seen it many times over the years but reverse search fails me.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I've never really got it when somebody says "this anime looks/is old" as a negative. What's wrong with old anime? The cut-off line for what is and isn't too old that some people have seems kind of arbitrary.

Reds fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 19, 2016

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Early digital inking looks like absolute trash, a lot of early 2000s shows just have awful lineart and colouring that looks pretty bad as a result. Not all of them, but a lot of them. Whatever tech or technique they were using just didn't make pleasant lines. I find the early 2000s way worse than the eighties as a result. But that's not fair because I don't have a problem with the eighties and cel animation to begin with.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

The Colonel posted:

actually, king gainer rules

https://jii.moe/NyMFW9kYl.webm

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Build Fighters is really good, it's a fun show with some of the best battles in the franchise.

Try spits on that and is an awful show with bad fights and aggressively bland characters who you'll start to actively dislike, except for Minato, the one good part of the series. It has an excessive conformance to awful cliches and somehow it manages to pick the worst possible thing to do in every situation despite the fact that a show like Build Fighters practically writes itself. It also has an obviously low budget since there is a painful amount of filling time. Most fights don't start until after the fifteen minute mark, and I quickly noticed that on average, the launch sequence from stepping up to the machine to cutting to everybody's reactions in the audience to rolling the launch sequence stock footage to then talking after launching, actually reaching the enemy and starting to fight them took a minimum of three minutes, sometimes up to four or five, and then that battle would be shoddily animated and short and disappointing. The Build Burning, other than one episode, never attacked in anything but extremely slow stock footage finishers.

I could go on but the point is that the series was a massive disappointment and you shouldn't watch it.

The final episode of the series is really good though, it's like the writers were let off a leash and could make something fun for once. There's like four or five good episodes out of the entire season. Five is stretching it a bit. It gave us Tryon 3 at the very least, one of the only episodes with a semi-decent animation budget and any emotional impact that was still spoiled by blatant asspulls and plot armour.
https://jii.moe/Ny_3y5xYg.webm

Reds fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 26, 2016

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Fumina's personality and competence conspicously vanish the moment she gets her lovely SD Gundam. Its power is to remove herself from the fight by detaching two thirds of her body in order to deliver powerups to her idiot teammates because she gave up on trying to make them work together. Powered GM Cardigan got shafted far too hard, she became useless for 95% of every fight afterwards. Her role as team leader was thrown out and she lost all of her personality in favour of incredibly unfunny and tedious harem bullshit that takes up an embarrassingly large amount of time in nearly every episode after a certain point. Her character turns into being summed up as "wants sekai's oblivious dick for no adequately explained reason".

Try sucks, don't watch it.

Reds fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 26, 2016

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Kylra posted:

I've been feeling like I want to cry to something. Not the sappy romance happy kind of tears though. I want the kind that comes from irrevocable loss and/or struggling through some kind of intense personal suffering. Perhaps with some nobility mixed in, but not something that's just in the epilogue unless it's really powerful. Below is a list of some examples of the general direction of the kind of thing I am looking for. I don't mind if there's build up to it. Romance type stories are still acceptable recs here, but should probably be tragic in some way (see: Princess Tutu, Utena).

Princess Tutu
The end of Madoka TV
Kiritsugu's poo poo in Fate Zero
The more melancholic parts of Kotoura-san
Wandering Son
Utena
From the New World

It feels like there's a few others I should remember to list here, but they aren't coming to mind if so. I feel like Kino's Journey is supposed to be in here for some reason, but I can't remember well enough to say for sure.

Go watch Casshern Sins.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

buzmeg posted:

Moribito is good, and has probably the best female protagonist in anime, but it is also brutally slow at times.

It's more slice of life in 1400's Asia than the action that you might think it should be.

It's not slow, it just has a bunch of episodes detailing their lives while one guy investigates something in the background of the episodes rather than progressing the overall plot.

It's definitely different from slow pacing. I could break down exactly what I'm talking about but it would involve spoilers.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Too bad Utena is the least interesting character in the show for the majority of it and shows no interest or initiative in learning anything at all about her situation and what's going on.

She's not unlikable or anything and it's deliberate and all, I just didn't find her a particularly engaging character. Which is why the show usually focuses on everybody but her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

ninjewtsu posted:

what is a good anime that stars a female main character who uses a sword

Juuni Kokuki is a very good show that fits that criteria.

Youko is not cool at the start, but becomes very cool over time.

What I liked about Juuni Kokuki and its rotating cast of protagonists was that it wasn't afraid to make them heavily flawed or unlikable prior to their development, and their development was not necessarily a straight line from bad to good. Lots of good character development all around.