Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you want fantasy sol can't go wrong with Aria, the main character is a gondolier on the terraformed Mars canals and is incredibly chill. I think there about three TV series, the earliest from like 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The anime has a fair drop in quality when they run out of manga to adapt and go straight from the books instead, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Torquemadras posted:

Aaaaand now I've watched Read or Die OVA as well. :toot:

Any other short action shows? I really liked Kyosougiga, and I'm a huge fan of the action in FLCL/Diebuster, as well as the more intense scenes in One Punch Man. It seems really tough to find this sort of frantic super-kinetic action :(

Try Gunsmith Cats if you haven't seen it, it's only three episodes. And Macross Plus.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

For slightly more off the beaten track recs The Flower and the Star is very good and funny and anything written by Morishima Akiko, some of her stuff is NWS though.

Also in case you fancy playing a yuri VN Kindred Spirits on Steam is good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shinozaki is funny but actual yuri stuff is never going to happen

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Blhue posted:

*waggles eyebrows*

*stabs u in the face*

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kase-san is good and I always forget about it for some reason.

Maybe be because no one ever loving translates it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Have you seen Cowboy Bebop?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ignore the GBS troll

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Le Chevalier Deon.

That does not have minimal supernatural elements. It is good though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I remember liking it at the time but nothing else

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Belladonna of Sadness is great arty anime and has a restoration that is doing the rounds in US cinemas at the moment. Or so I've been told.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah and watch Serial Experiments Lain. Like right now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

littleorv posted:

Have you tried gluing cd cases to the back of your DVD/bluray player?

lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

I liked Moyashimon when it first aired but I can't help but think of it as a worse Silver Spoon. I mean it does feature high school kids but they deal with some pretty heavy stuff sometimes!

Silver Spoon is a worse Moyashimon :colbert:

They're both good and different enough to be worth watching though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Davincie posted:

i vastly preferred season 1 of silver spoon. the production values felt a bit better and it had less of a focus on horses, the worst animal

Horses will gently caress You Up and not even care

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kokoro Wish posted:

Devilman Lady

The only real choice

Also I guess the 60's Devilman TV series

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TV series, then End of Evangelion, that's it. The Rebuild movies are an alternate version that starts off following the TV series then goes off the rails, they're an interesting watch but afterwards. And also possibly never finished.
I wouldn't worry about alternative versions of the TV episodes, it's virtually impossible to get the non-Directors Cut versions unless you're deliberately looking for them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Probably, I don't remember one anyway. I think some versions of the first volume came with a box or something you could put them all in.

Just gonna put it out there that the JP only Bluray version looks REALLY good and those DVD's have been out of print for a while also the company that released them doesn't exist anymore, so you could find a torrent of the HD versions... somewhere.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Japanese blurays only came out less than 12 months ago and licencing poo poo can take a while especially when it's a super popular series that lots of companies will be interested in.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Still arguing over the last line in EoE

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mederlock posted:

So, what do I watch to fill this Barakamon/Usagi Drop shaped hole in my heart?

Sweetness & Lightning just started, there's only two episodes so far though.

Non Non Byori maybe, it's feel good + cute kid.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

EoE explains some things and makes the rest worse.

They're just cute names apart from the first one which was 1.0 in the cinema and became 1.11 for the home release because it had some extra bits. The others just kept the naming convention.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cyber City Oedo is one. Maybe the Fist of the Northstar movie.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No it's completely boring and unremarkable

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sweetness & Lightning and Barakamon for the first one. Barakamon isn't really parent and child but is good and close enough.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Somewhere Sanguine posted:

Looking for two types of shows.

1. Series with a good Parent/Child dynamic. (I've seen Usagi drop)

2. Fantasy anime that doesn't star kids/teens.

Berserk for the second one, 98 anime or the manga, don't bother with anything else.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sorcerous Stabber Orphen.

Jesus dude, maybe you don't like the guy but some things are going too far.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I may be mixing it up with the awful PS2 game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's nothing objectionable in the three-part OAV Gunsmith Cats anime.
The manga, eh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kimi no Todoke and Lovely Complex would be the first things that come to mind, though they're more romantic comedies than the shows you mentioned.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:same:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

AlternateNu posted:

Not an anime, but watch "It's Such a Beautiful Day". It's available on Netflix.

Anime rec: Your Lie in April

Nothing in Your Lie In April is remotely near happy

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The movie and SAC are both completely different creatures, the movie being a typically slow Oshii philosophical piece on mankind's place in an increasingly technological world and the TV series being more of a future FBI procedural. They're both very good at what they do though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first three episodes of Armageddon are good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Madoka

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's a good idea, Flip Flappers is still ongoing though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ulio posted:

Any thriller animes maybe like Mayoiga something with horror or just straight up mystery. Like the tv show Lost or Twin Peaks is there any other anime with a cast of characters which is suspenseful/mystery?

Higurashi definitely, maybe check out Another and Shiki.
You could try Lain and Boogiepop Phantom though the horror/mystery in those is of a much different kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You could try Samurai Pizza Cats, though I don't know if it's still funny when you're not 11 and living in the 90's.