Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Prison school is a masterpiece, sharky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
brain baby

baby for a brain

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Holy poo poo I knew what was happening the moment Fran and the cop lady busted through the barrier on that isolated island but man it just keeps going and it's fantastic

edit: ROLLING WORLD 2 YES

I know I'm close to the end but Franken Fran sure is going out with a bang, splorch, grind, and axe to the face

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 24, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

signalnoise posted:

I did not like:

Yotsuba&!

I just don't get it
What's not to get

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

signalnoise posted:

It's supposed to be funny I guess but it's all Garfield to me
What a pitiable creature

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's brilliant

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Reds posted:

What's that even from, anyway? I've seen it many times over the years but reverse search fails me.

I would assume it was Blue Seed, as Bad Seafood said.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
poo poo! I saw a promising series based on the summary, which brought back memories of a horrible old wii game called Escape From Bug Island that was gloriously dumb, and was hoping for more of that.

Nope, just giant rape bugs, thanks japan :negative:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Like half the poo poo on kissmanga has the ecchi tag even if it's not really fanservicey.

Also I don't think people being sodomized by butterfly proboscises or rape maggots are really just "ecchi"

I guess I saw a new series in the recently updated list and hoped it wouldn't be poo poo, shame on me!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The rear end Stooge posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good thriller manga in the vein of Monster or Death Note? Bonus points if it also incorporates elements of hard SF and/or I can read it for free online.
You should really read I Am Missing. It's about a dude who, initially, seems to be just a manga artist failure working at a pizza place, but quickly descends into a hunt for a serial child murderer. It's a supernatural murder mystery that spans quite a long period of time, it's not finished yet but is continuing to be updated. It's one of the most gut-punching series I've been reading, too, it's just brutal and unflinching.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Knights of Sidonia for a similar feel. The ending is rushed but I didn't hate it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sounds like he'd like votoms if he wants pseudo realism, right? Isn't that like the defacto "real robot" series alongside patlabor?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Droyer posted:

VOTOMS is good, but I find it difficult to recommend a 50-ish episode series. also he said he wanted " I want shows where you feel the sheer weight and size of awesome, earth-shattering war machines" and the VOTOMS mechs are tiny and not very impressive power-wise

Ah right, I keep forgetting, having not watched it, that the votoms suits are like 12 feet tall

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
OR IS IT

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
gunbuster doesn't really "show its age" since it still looks better than the majority of animes today

unless you've got a different meaning of showing age

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Redline motherfuckers

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Help Im Alive posted:

What are the good anime movies that aren't studio ghibli/satoshi kon etc ones that everyone knows because I haven't watched many

Captain Invictus posted:

Redline motherfuckers

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wolf Children is a good movie

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kingtheninja posted:

I didn't see it posted yet, but Wonderful Days was a pretty fun Korean Animated movie.
I remember seeing the Wonderful Days trailer and being blown away, and then hearing the movie isn't actually very good and was bummed

Brasseye posted:

I just finished Usagi Drop and while different to any other series Ive seen I really enjoyed it. Can anyone recommend something similar?
Yotsuba is in a similar single dad vein with mostly fluffy slice of life stuff, but updates very, very rarely, and doesn't have much drama in it. Probably the best single dad manga that exists though

The Colonel posted:

I can recommend that you don't read the manga.
:yeah:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man, Hi-Score Girl is fantastic, just finished chapter 19, but the art is so baaaaaad. It's a shame. Like its stylized and all but still ugly, kinda like that maid dragon manga.

And speaking of maid dragon, it was funny and cute for a while and then the last few chapters came out and it took a turn for the rather creepy. Really unfortunate, since the shenanigans with the various dragons showing up was entertaining.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nah

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Davincie posted:

you're insane
Please explain what makes the art in hi-score girl great Mr Davincie

Edit: I will admit it has improved a lot since the first volume which was roughhhhhh but it could still be improved a lot

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The last few chapters have largely gotten better from my previous complaints, being the awful faces, body proportions, hands, etc, but it can still definitely be improved

Guessing there was a decent chunk of time taken off between the end of one arc and another since the art seems to have changed quite a bit since then, still has the stylized look but less hosed up hands, heads hanging off weirdly angled necks, etc

At chapter 19 for reference

Edit: a whole buncha hosed up hands in chapter 20, that's one of my pet peeves when reading manga, when someone can't draw hands and just kinda draw a lump with bent hot dogs coming off it

Current chapter 20 verdict still story good, art bad

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 24, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Paperhouse posted:

Is this also the manga recommendation thread? I've only ever read one manga (20th Century Boys), now I have quite a bit of time at work where there's nothing to do and one of the only unblocked sites is a manga site for some reason. I'm going through Pluto at the moment, help me find what to read after. Obviously I like Urasawa a lot, and am particularly interested in seinen stuff that's more sci-fi/mystery/thriller/fantasy than comedy or slice of life. Any recommendations are appreciated because I really don't know much about manga at all

I've made quite a few recommendations in this thread with summaries and thoughts, thumbnails, etc if you're looking for some suggestions.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
King Gainer is good but not great

the OP is fantastic though, and it gives us dancing robots

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you like Gurren Lagann you'll probably like GaoGaiGar

Once it gets going anyways

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's a billion trapped in a game mangas, but I'm partial to this one called World Customize Creator.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/World-Customize-Creator

The premise is, as usual, dude gets sucked into fantasy world. Difference is, god or whoever forgot to disable the ingame console, so he basically just types console commands on some mystical panel only he can see to create castles and walls and equipment for people. It's kinda laid back too, which is nice. It's not constantly in your face about stuff like series like overlord or something might be

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I bet this series that popped up in the rotation recently on kissmanga handles its subject very well and not incredibly offensively, especially with a seventh chapter simply titled "Japs"

quote:

Marginal Operation

"A 30 years old Japanese NEET joins a private military contractor in the middle east and becomes the handler of some soldiers."

this is in now way an actual recommendation, but I do love that they just keep on trying these really out there premises that are most likely completely horrible and insulting

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Davincie posted:

i read that and its not horrible but the translation is bad to the point of being unreadable and the random elf in a serious manga kept bugging me, but good job writing something off you haven't tried
thanks for being the guinea pig so I didn't have to waste time on it in case it was bad

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Colonel posted:

iirc he had a similar reaction to the manga Kiss My rear end

quote:

After defeating a demon, Yakushiji Teruki is bound by a demon that brings pain to humans, in the most unusual ways that demon is bound by Shiki-kun through.....hemorrhoids, which is an illness in his anus...yes anus. All of a sudden, a girl by the name of Miura confronts him, what does she, the unsociable classmate want from Shiki-kun and his....anus? Find out!

sounds like a fun time, I can't imagine why someone would judge it prematurely

if it's actually good feel free to speak its praises but you can't see why someone would be dissuaded by that summary?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bad rear end, indeed

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Colonel posted:

i'm not gonna pre-judge manga for bizarre premises when midori days ended up being one of my favorite romantic comedy stories ever

For every midriff days or MMK there's a hundred ones that are just as bad or creepy as their premises sound

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Why do you think I haven't? Kissmanga has a lot of new stuff popping up on it every day. Almost all of it is lowest common denominator poo poo, with the occasional gem. There's one new one about painting that has potential that I've found in the last week though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is the one, took a minute to find it

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-to-Rune-to-Aoarashi

Only five chapters but it seems interesting

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ghost in the Shell stand alone complex has fantastic action scenes and fantastic everything else

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah! E,xept read it because the anime is terrible, there's a color version available now on kissmanga

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
then take some ritalin and read dungeon meshi

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Radio Spiricom posted:

i picked up the first volume of monster at barnes and noble the other day and i read six or seven chapters and i was hooked and plan to continue it. the problem is that i realized later on its like 150+ chapters and it seems like a pretty drastic undertaking. i'm already worried about my visual media consumption habits as is and don't need to add to them.

i guess what i'm looking for is manga recommendations for similar things that aren't as lengthy. doesn't *need* to be psychological drama/horror. i'd prefer seinen i suppose but i don't really care about demographic distinctions. i don't know anything about the technical aspects of comics the way i do with movies/tv and can pretty much be sold on the goodwill of the storytelling alone

some other stuff i plan on reading but have put on the backburner: berserk, all other urasawa, all fukamoto

Well, there's always Erased, which also has an anime of the same name on Crunchyroll as well. It's a supernatural thriller about a dude trying to track down and stop the serial child murderer who killed a bunch of kids in his school when he was younger and was never caught. He has some Life Is Strange-esque time powers that he can't control and winds up getting catapulted back to when he was 10, and works towards both preventing the murders and catching the culprit. Things don't always go as planned, it's super loving good

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

StandardVC10 posted:

Any good yuri manga recommendations?
Don't Become An Otaku, Shinozaki!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!