Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

GitS 1 and 2 are absolutely required watching just in their own right as movies and not even as anime, imo. I'd probably say that you could get sucked into Stand Alone Complex, the actually good TV show version also, since both seasons are more or less standalone episodes with some lightly overarching plots, as opposed to a continuous storyline. I don't like long series either but if something doesn't hold my attention for an episode or two I'm not gonna finish it anyway.

Gits 2 blows even if you are a fan of Gits. At least that was the case for me until is watched sac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

To clarify, the first movie doesn’t really introduce most of the other characters of section 9, so them appearing in the second doesn’t hit unless you’ve seen sac since that gives context to who the hell all the tertiary characters are supposed to be.

And yeah, git’s to me is fundamentally a story starring The major. So seeing the second movie it with only the first for context was a meandering disappointment. After watching sac I liked it a great deal more.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I just rewatched and it held up better than I liked it the first time (week to week really hosed up the back half): star driver.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah you could make an argument that watching any given uc show you might want a primer if you know nothing about the series, but witch from mercury is set up as an easy entry show. Watch the prologue and you’re good.

It ain’t marvel.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

What the gently caress the ykk author did another series poo poo yeah

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Remember when the original JoJo OVA decided it would be better to jump right to the good stuff in Egypt and then filled in the preceding chapters later rather than doing a chronological adaptation?

It sucked butt?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Important happy note, monster is available on Netflix in the us.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Oh shoot. Yeah they announced and I saw the page on a quick google. Jan 1st I guess ya mooks.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Grim dark harem? Schools days. Also Elfen lied. Bad boys of the mid aughts.

No idea reverse harem. but usually usually everyone is mega traumatized so let’s go easy mode and say the remake of fruits basket.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Man idk tiger and bunny is pretty good about not having fan service but theres plenty of violence. Fma is totally out of the question.

9 years old is like “Pokémon” and I’m sure lots of other shows I’ve never watched.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Vinland saga is a very well written and illustrated and takes a huge right turn status quo changer that is one of my favorite in all of I’ve seen in fiction after the first arc.

There is a season out covering what is functionally the prologue / first arc from a few years ago and the second season just started airing.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

On that note the best “get you to wanna work out” anime is hajime no ippo, which has 3 seasons and about 110 eps and 2 films

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Just hit up Nyaa.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Parasyte rules.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Read Pluto for the love of god.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Supremezero posted:

Do not read Pluto.

WATCH Pluto.

... once it comes out

?

The manga is excellent and the anime does not exist. I’ve been waiting a decade for the ANNOUNCED anime to appear. Theres nothing at this point that’ll guarantee it’ll be a good adaptation when it does, even though I’m optimistic

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It’s about time. I still wouldn’t recommend it till it’s out and we could say things like “it was good” or “it is complete”

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I think I blew through Pluto in two days the first time. I think I've read it through like 3 times (it's been years) I just can't get over how good the scene where he gives the news of the robot murder to the robot wife. it kills me

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

What year? That’s sounds cool we will check it out.

Just finished s6 of mha was really strong. We’re kinda meandering through seven deadly sins..

… and despite starting REALLY strong, the *second* half of s1 of fire force has been super disappointing.

Does fire force pick up at all or should I just bail? The first 13 had banger op and Ed, and despite some occasionally weird action competitions the animation and some key cuts were incredible. The second op and Ed are both dogshit, and it seems like the entire writing directing composing etc team has been replaced with studio titanic.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

There’s huge drop off between the first 13 eps and the second so I’m wondering if it recovers or it’s more of the second half.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

2018, 1 2-cour season, it was originally a novel so it's a full adaptation.

If you meant what year the college guys are in, they're a mixed age group across all the college years.

Nope was curious about the air date, thanks! It’s on my list.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Hellsing Ultimate is fine. My first watch through by the mid point I was like “fuckkk this is dragging” but it was just fatigue trying to marathon the thing . Second watch didn’t have that sensation.

It’s very 90s edgy so if you are not into that it’ll probably not be fun, but it’s very well produced.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

And humor. Kills me that the manga is ongoing, there’s 100 eps of the show, and yet no new anime in a decade.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Space dandy

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

GateOfD posted:

the 1985 Vampire Hunter D movie was great
But I thought the Bloodlust one was garbage in comparison

I agreed when bloodlust came out, but I was 13.

Bloodlust is a superior film in almost every way.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Zinkraptor posted:

Spy X Family is one I considered, though at the time I decided against it because someone I know has a lot of issues with it. They do have a lot of opinions I disagree with, but it still made me hesitant to try that one first. It seems their opinion isn't the popular one, so I'll add that one to the list.

Just started it with my fiancé. Just a few eps in but it’s been cute and funny so far. Idk what their specific problem is. Not really fan servicey.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Jin is pretty great. Modern brain surgeon gets transported to 1800s Japan, does a lot of great modern medicine in feudal times, while everyone is like “I’ll fuckin KILL you Dutch medicine man also I have this huge growth that’s been kinda bugging me”

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Chas McGill posted:

Yess, I like how each chapter is about a specific dish.

I should've mentioned Jin. I really loved it, need to pick it up again. I think I got as far as the thrilling beriberi arc.

It’s done now, idk if it’s on the reader sites but the mangaka had the rest translated and put it on patreon so if that’s till up you can read the whole thing for like 5bucks

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The original 1997 berserk seems like a gimme

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It’s fine you dont like it, and I wasn’t sold until the second season (I find the first very rough around the edges), but it’s one of the best written stories of the last decade easily.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Best anime writing* right right. Yeah if you don’t like it don’t force yourself, by any means. I took excepting to it being called mediocre to bad and then comparing to demon slayer which I was hating until the spider arc.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Endorph posted:

its fine if the guy doesnt watch it

I LITERALLY SAID THAT.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Or something like Monster.

Pluto, on Netflix. Same mangaka as monster, similar vibes, but robot murder instead.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 16, 2023

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I really liked it. I’m not sure why they didn’t hype it to the hilt after squid games popped off.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah all I remember about desert punk is sand and tits.

Nothing specific, just they are there.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Man submarine is narrow, I feel like gunbuster scratches a (space) naval itch it’s not quite sub warfare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Blue seed
Burn up
Rahxephon
Dirty pair flash