Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I know enough people that prefer Monster over 20th Century Boys (I am not one of them) that I think it would be worth watching/reading Monster even if you did not care for 20thCB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Katanagatari is pretty good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The movie is still very much a Ghibli classic and while the start is very close to the manga it's different in enough little ways that you'll still be a little surprised at how things develop early on.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Barakmon is another really, really great heartwarming CR rec though sadly I think there are weird licensing restrictions with it for some reason so it might not be available in your region.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There were some eps in the new NNB season that, while I wouldn't say hit hard, were certainly emotional resonating.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

Yankee-kun And Megane-chan keeps showing up on the recommended series at the top of Kissmanga. I've heard lots of good things about it, but I have also heard that it ends incredibly poorly. Is this correct or am I misremembering the series people were saying that about? No gory details needed, just curious.
It had a really, really high high and the cast was one of the best I've seen for a comedy with slight (ever so slight) bits of romance. But it was also the type of thing that really needed a great send off and hearing about the lackluster ending took the wind out of a lot of people's sails.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

boom boom boom posted:

What are some good short robot shows? Like, two cours at the most?
Escaflowne and Gun x Sword are two simulwatch examples that come to mind.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Reds posted:

All of you should go watch Zegapain. Preferably knowing as little as possible. It's a mecha series, but the focus isn't on the mecha or action so don't treat it as one.

Zegapain is loving fantastic and I cannot recommend it enough for anybody who wants to watch a sci-fi show.
Man, I remember that show. What a bizarre world/concept. Was pretty decent as I recall.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

aherdofpenguins posted:

I just watched 5 Centimeters Per Second and bawled my eyes out. It started out like a pretty typical romantic drama, but ended on way more of a mature note than I was expecting. I liked it a LOT, and would like to keep going with this kind of anime.

Does anyone have any suggestions for movies that are kind of like this that...

1) are not Ghibli

2) are emotional, but don't try to elicit cheap feels by killing off characters

Any help would be appreciated! I haven't watched any sort of anime in a long time, and watching that was a very pleasant surprise.
Mamoru Hosoda's The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and especially Wolf Children were tailor made for you.

I'd also give Satoshi Kon's Tokyo Godfathers and (also by Shinkai, the 5cm fellow) Voices of a Distant Star.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Astro Ambulance posted:

I saw a recommendation somewhere on this board for an anime that was described as "like chai tea for the soul" or something like that, does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?
Yeah that could be descriptive of a lot of things but for now I'll take a guess at it being...Non Non Biyori.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Quest For Glory II posted:

barakamon should be recommended over k-on in pretty much all respects
It's really dumb how it's blocked out on CR for US IPs, though! But yeah that was such a good one.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

signalnoise posted:

Is this also a manga recommendation thread? Ignore this post if it isnt

I have liked:

Genshiken
Old Boy
20th Century Boys
Solanin

I like stories about friends and relationships and people working through difficult situations in modern day earth
Kind of just ran through the wiki's manga category but I think these would work:

Monster
: Same author as 20th Century Boys and while not as intimately about the friendship between the main characters it should tickle many of the same itches from that series.

Kids on the Slope: Absolutely fits your criteria, unless you don't want to read something set in 1960's Japan or something about music.

Kakukaku Shikajika: OK this one isn't on the wiki yet for some dumb reason but gently caress it it's so so so great. Autobiogrpahical story about a Josei manga author as she goes from High School to a being an author, focusing particularly on the relationship between herself and her teacher. Very brutal emotionally at times, especially when you realize it's non-fiction.

Silver Spoon
: Can't imagine this wouldn't fit, unless you don't want to read something about farming. The main character's development and relationships with his friends/family are very compelling.

Hoshi no Samidare - The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer
: Most fantastical/battle-heavy of this set but it is still set in modern Earth and features incredibly well done characterization amongst the cast.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, it is slice of life. Just something to chill and relax to and remind yourself that hey maybe life isn't so bad at all, haha what silly misadventures will that Yotsuba get into next. It's rarely hysterical but it's just what the doctor ordered whenever I'm feeling down about whatever.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'd have to believe Macross in its various forms would also count.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The actual movie isn't all that great but Garden of Words is easily what I would call the best looking anime film that I've seen.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It wasn't as nice as a Hosoda film but it was one of the better not-Ghibli Ghibli movies I've seen in years. Mostly because actual Ghibli has kind of been garbage for a while.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kaguya? Yeah that one was alright I suppose if only for the visuals, but then you get like a 12 year gap between it and Spirited Away (a movie that I at least don't care for, anyway). I guess The Cat Returns is kind of interesting since it kind of has a connection to Whisper of the Heart. But the rest? Give me Patema Inverted over any of them, easy.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wouldn't call them terrible but I am decidedly not a fan of either Ponyo or Howl's Moving Castle at least. Haven't gotten around to Wind Rises yet but most Ghilbi fans didn't seem to like it all that much, I thought?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Arrietty is definitely terrible, though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sadly that's the bad DEEN one, then.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
OK having seen it now I still think Wind Rises is in the same sort of tier as Howl's and Ponyo, a decent film in most/all respects but nowhere near as captivating as the work the studio did in the 80s and 90s. The main character had absolutely zero charisma, almost all of the supporting cast was far more compelling than he was. Maybe that's how Jori Horikoshi was said to be like in real life for all I know but it made for a pretty dull narrative to follow.

Gorgeous animation though of course, not that that is surprising in the least.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kurtofan posted:

are you saying Spirited Away isn't captivating :ohdear:
Yeah I've never been much of a Spirited Away fan, I probably liked Ponyo more even. I definitely realize I am alone on that one but man I just thought it was too weird and never got on board with it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Paperhouse posted:

Is this also the manga recommendation thread? I've only ever read one manga (20th Century Boys), now I have quite a bit of time at work where there's nothing to do and one of the only unblocked sites is a manga site for some reason. I'm going through Pluto at the moment, help me find what to read after. Obviously I like Urasawa a lot, and am particularly interested in seinen stuff that's more sci-fi/mystery/thriller/fantasy than comedy or slice of life. Any recommendations are appreciated because I really don't know much about manga at all
Maybe it's only because I just finished catching up on it the other day, but the first thing that came to mind was the quite excellent "The Town Where Only I am Missing" (which has a currently airing anime as well under the inane name "ERASED"). Great thriller-esque mystery and great characters, if it can stick the landing for the ending it will go down as one of the best IMO.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Paperhouse posted:

I'm actually watching that at the moment, it's great and I am considering going to the manga to carry on with it

How is Billy Bat compared to Urasawa's other stuff? I still think Monster is the best, though I am loving Pluto. 20th Century Boys fell apart a bit for me, but it was excellent until the later volumes. Thanks for the recs, will look into them all
I like Billy Bat but catching up on it was always rough, in terms of waiting for more. So a while back I decided to just wait until it was all done before I dived back in.

My fear with the ERASED anime is that it's going to be, what, 12-13 episodes? With the yet-to-be-released manga ending included? It's a manga with some 40 long-ish chapters so they are going to probably have to cut a ton of content, which seems egregious for such a tightly written story.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I just watched the original Ghost in the Shell movie and really enjoyed it. What else in the series is worth watching?
1000% the Stand Alone Complex franchise (two TV series and one movie).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

littleorv posted:

Someone recommend me an anime with a really good/satisfying ending pretty please
Tsuritama comes to mind for something short & sweet.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

VostokProgram posted:

Not interested in anything explicit.

Umineko no Naku Koro Ni isn't on Steam (but apparently will be someday), but wikipedia says this and this are prequels. Are they any good?
Higurashi is extremely good. It's my second favorite VN with Umineko being #1. Unfortunately they only have two out of eight chapters up on Steam and the best content is easily the later chapters. The early chapters are still very good but it was kind of obvious in retrospect that the author (Ryukishi07) was still kind of figuring out his style and pacing. They've been doing around two chapters a year so I guess we'll see how it all shakes down. The releases are pretty high quality, especially if you go through the effort to patch in PS3 sprites (the new Steam sprites are kinda eh) and voice acting.

I wouldn't count on Umineko arriving on Steam any time soon unless they are abandoning Higurashi efforts to do so. Which I kind of hope they don't because in the end people could always :filez: it (not that I'm advocating they do so) as a temporary solution whereas Higurashi is in desperate need of a new and updated release for all chapters.

Steins;Gate remains an excellent choice as always of course.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Iron-Blooded Orphans was really great and gets my vote, since if you jump in now then presumably you'll be there for the second season in October. The thing is I'd almost be perfectly happy if there wasn't a second season because I thought the first wrapped things up pretty nicely.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't want to get into spoilers or anything in this thread of all places, but I essentially felt that anything that wasn't explicitly spelled out for the viewer was more interesting if left unexplained or unsaid. Like I could see a short OVA or something as a prequel to explain some of the cast's backstory but other than that I would be perfectly content if that was the end of the major conflicts for the characters, or at least the conflicts that we'd "need" to see.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've thought for a long while that outside of a handful of series that I was already reading that I'm relatively done with shounen, in that I just don't have the patience for the usual formula. The tournaments, the main characters who just have to raise their Burning Spirit to overcome whatever, the whole schtick. But even so, because I really like the look of it and it seems very popular I thought I'd give My Hero Academia a try.

I got maybe 4 or 5 chapters into it and uuuuuuuuuuugh I just can't do it, it's exactly the sort of setup and especially the same sort of MC who I just don't have the patience for. So I'm asking, is it just something that maybe I could persevere through to get to some really solid arcs later on? I'm absolutely willing to do so if the payoff is there, but if that beginning really is indicative of the manga I'd probably not bother.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That was the last thing that happened of what I read (loving up his finger). I just can't behind that sort of character I guess, I don't give a poo poo about his trials and tribulations. I think it'd almost be better if he was an sort of a middle-of-the-road hero who's on the same sort of level of those around him and they all try to grow together, rather than this zero whose whole thing is rising up from nothing and everyone being surprised at when he succeeds and/or siding with him because of the power of friendship or some bullshit. I already feel like I can see how every single conflict with him will be resolved.

Don't know how to spin this in a non-:rolleyes: way but I could not give less of a poo poo about western hero/comic book-related stuff in general (I don't care for Tiger & Bunny for example) so that in of itself is not plus for me if I'm not digging the cast/story.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Davincie posted:

you can try a shonen without tournaments like yae no sakura. or simply a shonen without fights like mahoraba
I'm not really looking for a shounen recommendation per se, I just wanted to know if very popular series My Hero Academia might be worth plunging through regardless of my biases but

Captain Invictus posted:

Then I guess you're ~just done with all shonen forever~ then if My Hero Academia, a Noted Good Series, can't pop your pupae
it sounds like the answer is "No".

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Even if I were to accept that they are similar (which I don't think I would, besides some standard sort of monomyth thing which is going to apply to just about everything), it's apples and oranges since TitS is a JRPG and I'm way more forgiving of JRPG plots because I like playing them as video games as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Since in the first place a big reason I wind up reading manga is downtime at work I said gently caress it and read on further in My Hero Academia and it's fiiiiiiine. My main gripes before was that the MC was exceedingly pathetic and it felt like the story beats were going to be set up where it was just a neverending series of tests/games in the classes, where said MC has to barely scrap by, but it seems like it's gotten past that already and now he's not only a fairly well integrated cog in the class's group dynamic but also the class is getting a chance to actually do stuff as a team by fighting actual villains. I kind of expected that this sort of MC would wind up a loner type who is only given the time of day by the gravity girl but with them more or less all accepting one another (even the rear end in a top hat rival, kind of) the character interactions and teamwork is much more interesting and compelling. Obviously this would have happened eventually in a story like this but I expected based on the introductory chapters that it would take a long time and I just didn't know if I had the patience for it. It'll be nice to have something other than One Piece to read with my WSJ subscription.

The frog girl is cool. I like her the most so far.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

I've been recommended March Comes In Like a Lion on numerous occasions with it described as a drama/romance/SoL series, but have only reached it in my queue now. I just read the first chapter and the notes at the end mention it's a shogi manga, which nobody has mentioned prior. Is this going to be a chihayafuru situation where I can't give a single poo poo about the card thing and stop reading/watching it, or does it take a big back seat to literally anything else

I think the only "sports" series I've ever stuck with is amanchu, and that's only because ocean diving rules and it's just about the most chill series ever, everything else I cannot be arsed with

Would just like to know about that part before going further is all
By a large margin I think the big takeaway with March Comes In Like a Lion is the psychological issues/introspection of the main character and the various aspects of family drama associated with both himself and the other characters. To this end I think the sport of shogi matters less in this work than how much karuta matters in Chihayafuru. Whether he wins or loses is largely immaterial, it's more often than not used as a framing device. But that said it will come up frequently enough and obviously it's how many of the characters interact with each other; it would be immensely tragic if that alone is enough to make you not want to read it but it's not going to go away. Did you watch/read My Lie in April? It's largely similar in structure/tone to that (though I would contend orders of magnitude better), just with shogi instead of playing the piano.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't know how far into it she shows up, but you should at least read to where his step-sister shows up in the present because everything about their relationship is super concentrated :smith:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What I really like about Lion is that it doesn't sugar coat any of the trauma or take any shortcuts to resolving it with either the MC or the associated characters. My Lie in April had a bit of an unsettling undercurrent of victim blaming, hoisting a degree of "Just get over it, man!" on the MC that often felt unwarranted or at best just rather clumsily handled. In Lion it's shown that things are hosed and while they are and can get better, there is no easy solution or eye-opening revelation that will hit a switch and make everything OK.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Of Durarara? Yeah, it's good. You can definitely tell that they were condensing stuff in some episodes though. Also the animation seemed considerably worse. But if you liked what you saw of the first season, it's more of that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You'd get episodes where they ultimately didn't make much sense though because so much backstory or context was cut out, such as the episode where Izaya was kidnapped by those rival factions. That one episode was an entire volume IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DamnGlitch posted:

Didn't really bother me. I just took it at face value since I didn't have another context to know stuff was missing.
Yeah it's basically fine. I'm not even really suggesting one should like read the books instead, just that those sets of newer episodes occasionally felt "off" in that regard compared to the first anime to me.