Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Last Celebration posted:

But I think Endorph is more commenting on the premise of the movie’s narrative being kinda weird with Broly as a fifty year old man.

I understand that, but my point was thinking of the situation in terms of human ageing is not reasonable because of the nature of the characters. It's like thinking the Ents conversation length was weird because Pippin didn't take time scale into account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Erg posted:

Very subjective request but anyone got recs for standalone shows that are maybe ~12 eps (or 6ish hours) that are nice and bingeable?

Anohana
Baccano! (16 eps, technically)
Daily Lives of High School Boys
Dorohedoro
Kaiba
Panty & Stocking
Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight
Sk8 the Infinity
Usagi Drop

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Your Lie in April is pretty basic, but deals with a lot of heavy poo poo like abuse, trauma, and terminal illnesses.

It made me cry multiple times.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

kiminewt posted:

I am once again asking for recommendations of realistic sports/endeavour-based manga/anime.

Last time I read/watch the following that were recommended: Run With the Wind, Supinamarada and Real. Liked all of them. I also watched Ao Ashi which was generic but alright.

Hanebado! is pretty good. Heavy on the drama and the matches are super well animated to the point of maybe being a bit too clean. And it's a quick run through at 13 eps.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

pandy fackler posted:

any recommendations for horror genre without sexualized violence? i havent watched much anime besides the staples like cowboy bebop and akira

The first season of Promised Neverland is actually a pretty good horror story.

If you want a "horror" story that is so janky about it, it turns into funny laughs time, go watch Another.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blue Labrador posted:

So my favorite shows have been The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, The Tatami Galaxy, and Revolutionary Girl Utena. Can anyone recommend any Art Ho anime that are in similar veins to those? Extra points if they have queer overtones, but nowhere necessary if they have interesting characterization or animation quirkiness.

Ping Pong
Mawaru Penguindrum

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I have a hard time recommending Kaiba to people because despite loving it, it seems super impenetrable at times, even for a Yuasa show.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
They lost Madoka and I hate them for it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Peteyfoot posted:

Can I get recommendations for something very cute and very weird with notably good sound design? Cat Soup, Spirited Away and FLCL are along the lines of what I'm looking for.

Kaiba

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Arc Hammer posted:

Or America in general. The best is still Excel Saga showing off inner city new york.

The second best is Bryan Hawk's backstory in Ippo.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Looking for a reverse harem (girl surrounded by dudes), with a few caveats:

- Nothing old (no Ouran), nothing with that pre-HD animation style. Maybe like ~2010+?
- Nothing with a dumbass Protagonist
- No weird slave harems
- Elements of the girl driving plot advancement, instead of the dudes running the plot around her and her Waiting For Something To Happen

Maybe something with the tone of Domestic Girlfriend or Nana, but with like.. dudes instead?

Code: Realize?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Can I get some recommendations for something with dubs based on liking Chainsaw Man, Demon Slayer, Goblin Slayer, Claymore, Basilisk. I enjoy hero's journey stuff and stuff where everyone has a wacky power...

I've started and enjoyed One Piece, Attack on Titan, and My Hero Academia, but I need dubs so I can turn it on while I'm working.

I heard the Hunter x Hunter (2011) dub is pretty good.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Furnaceface posted:

So I just rewatched Devilman Crybaby and Hellsing Ultimate and Im still kind of in the mood for something with crazy over the top fighting and violence.

I honestly cant think of anything even though I know there are probably a dozen that have been recommended in this thread at some point (or even to me in the past, Im old and forgetful).

Sword of the Stranger

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
But the White Whale is where Crusch becomes best secondary character!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The "wackiness" of the Re:Zero world almost entirely comes from Subaru, though. (Puck's playful personality not withstanding.) Everyone else acts and reacts like a normal loving person, and I think that's the point. His hijinks are literally him just falling back on his otaku background as a means to cope with absolutely, bug-gently caress insane situations he finds himself in. I love him as a character because he's exactly how you'd imagine a well-meaning but emotionally stunted otaku with huge self-esteem issues would act.

A whole lot of people cringe at the scene where he's screaming at Emilia, but that is the realist poo poo in the world. That is the exact point he loving snaps and just dumps everything in a meagre attempt to salvage his own sanity and ego. He fucks up hard in that scene, and he knows it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I also want to hop in and just say that Re:Zero's S2 opening, Long Song, is top 5 OPs of the last decade. And we only hear it like 3 loving times the whole season because they crammed so much content, they just skipped the OP/ED for 10 of the episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8X5hG51jbA

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Furnaceface posted:

I feel like Ive never actually asked this before but can you guys recommend me some anime from the late 80s and early 90s? Genre doesnt matter in this case. DBZ might be the only anime I have ever watched from that time period and I feel like Ive seen enough modern shows that it might be nice to watch some of the stuff that inspired it.

Akira
Fist of the North Star
Patlabor
Vampire Hunter D
Grave of the Fireflies
Gunbuster
Golgo 13

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GateOfD posted:

I throw in Dirty Pair (1985)

Also watch Dirty Pair Flash (1995) just for the comparison.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

That Works posted:

Goodnight Punpun is excellent but its some bleak poo poo. If you are decently sadbrains be warned.

Agreed. It's great!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Saoshyant posted:

Humanity Has Declined (Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita). It's a surreal comedy and a cynical social critique, painted in the most colorful pastels you can imagine. The main character is... refreshing -- a deadbeat doing the work no one else wants in a world where humanity is approaching extinction, and that job being a UN mediator with an entirely new species. Said species are a bunch of weird smiling fairies, easily excited and ready to commit exactly all of humanity's excesses without a care in the world. It's pretty drat unique.

Seconding this rec. Two things to know going in, though. There is a bit of a lull in the middle, and the story arcs are shown out of chronological order, Haruhi-esk.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PringleCreamEgg posted:

So I had not thought about Hellsing since the manga ended but just found myself humming one of the tracks from the first anime. I started to wonder if Hellsing Ultimate ever finished up, and found it that happened more than a decade ago.

Did Ultimate end up being good and cool or did the budget dry up? Should I just rewatch the first anime? Both? Or just jam to this soundtrack?

TFS did an abridged dub of it that's really good. :v: (The first episode is a bit rough, granted.)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Abridged Anderson is extremely funny and enough of a recommendation for HUA on his own imo.

Watch Hellsing Ultimate Abridged.

Boondock...Saints

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxF4v5asYNc

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rinkles posted:

I’m almost done with the Nirvana Initiative. Any Uchikoshi like anime mysteries? Maybe with fewer sex jokes.

Steins;Gate

Uchikoshi was actually a guest scenario writer for the Linear Bounded Phenogram spin-off. :eng101:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Steins;Gate's story is surprisingly linear. You just miss all the "bad" ends you can get from the VN which I highly recommend you Youtube if you don't want to go through the novel. Some of them are really good and you'll instantly know where in the anime that decision branch happens.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
There is an episode in the most recent season that, IMO, redeems/explains Subaru’s entire thing perfectly.
The trials episode is the best one of the series. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Strange Quark posted:

Looking for some recs on shows with really well done endings. Doesn't even have to be a complete adaptation as long as the end point is narratively conclusive. I'd prefer something decently long (50 to 100 eps), but I'd take anything.

Monster

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nana's anime ending was terrible because they just cut off in the middle of that arc and do a flash forward for the last episode which spoils a bunch of crap from a few arcs in the future. If you're going to watch Nana, stop at the penultimate episode and just read the manga from there.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Colonel posted:

key the metal idol is not actually made of metal

I would pay to see an OVA that's just Key at a concert screaming "My body is chrome! My blood is gasoline!!!!"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Seconding Kara no Kyoukai if you want good UFOtable material without the massive backlog of content.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Anyone watch the Alice in Borderland live action adaptation on Netflix? Any good?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PRADA SLUT posted:

rec me a manga along the lines of:

shuzo oshimi's works (happiness, aku no hana, blood on the tracks, etc)
punpun/eri
scums wish

You want lots of misery drama? Nana.

It's basically, "Lots of very bishi hipsters are terrible to each other."

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Arc Hammer posted:

Fantasy settings that don't wear TTRPG trappings like mana, guilds and character classes, please. I like those things in moderation but I could really go for something unique that doesn't pull from the usual toy box.

Frieren. The most non-D&D, D&D show currently airing.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Hi I have a qq identifying a anime. So please help.

What's the anime that was on some major streaming platform (I think) and it was kind of science and horror and a lot of talking? It might have been American maybe. There was a bit of fan support but they canceled it/didn't pick it back up iirc. Google says Channel Zero? I remember a clip and it had a guy's head blowing up and lots of science and it was cool.

Been watching Serial Experiments Lain and I still don't understand it, but cool vibes. Must be where vaporwave came from, huh. Any other suggests for sci/fi/horror animes ? Stein's gate is cool too :thanks:

Boogiepop Phantom.

It's from the same generation as Lain and still holds up.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I enjoyed Lovely Complex where both of the leads are unabashed weirdos, and it gracefully flip-flops on which of them is the straight man in any given scenario.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bongo Bill posted:

Basically wondering what a manic pixie dream boy would even look like. Thanks.

Ouran Host

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kingtheninja posted:

I have a friend who's a big fan of submarine warfare type stuff, and I'm wondering if there's any shows with sub activity I can recommend to him?

He really loves the space submarine stuff from Yamato, and he's probably seen blue sub 6,so anything besides those two would work. Doesn't have to be scifi either.

https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/tags/submarine

I didn't know FMP had a submarine movie. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Roctavian posted:

What about underwater anime in general, not just submarines? Any genre. My partner is a diver and never gets tired of watching underwater stuff.

Underwater is just space with more pressure.

Soooo, Planetes.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rinkles posted:

so this is gonna be broad, but please recommend me some 90s shows. i'm in the mood for traditional cel animation.

since i can't list everything relevant i've seen, here's the bigger stuff off the top of my head

evangelion
bebop
utena
outlaw star
sailor moon
trigun
nadesico
lain
captain harlock
banner of the stars

i just want to hear about shows you think are worth watching from that era

Dirty Pair Flash
Escaflowne
Slayers

And I'm going to throw Boogiepop Phantom on there despite it technically being 2000. Same with Great Teacher Onizuka (1999-2000).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Annath posted:

How many versions are there?

Two Mangas, an anime, and a movie?

I guess I'm wondering which is the "original"/intended version.

The first two manga were written simultaneously with the anime. (The anime was the original but due to production delays, the first manga's initial volumes came out first.) One was basically a battle series released in Shounen Ace. The second started releasing right as the anime was finally releasing. That was the shoujo adaptation serialized in Asuka Fantasy DX. The third manga was a mutli-artist collab of short stories released after the anime had finished. Neither is really comparable with the show. There was also a novelization released shortly after the anime in Newtype.

The localization of the anime in the West was a clusterfuck because the localizers wanted Van to be the main character, so they edited a lot of the Hitomi scenes and even released the second episode as the premiere just so they could get to the initial fight with the dragon first before going into all of Hitomi's emotional characterization. They also straight up cut out a lot of episodes that dealt with "taboo topics". IIRC as a kid, they eventually just never even broadcast the latter episodes (at least on Fox in the U.S.) because of how heavy everything gets.

The movie was released years later as a condensed reimagining of the show but with different plot beats and a much much much edgier tone. It isn't terrible but isn't as good as the series and fucks with the characters in a lot of weird ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BattleMaster posted:

My SO and I really enjoy comedy shows where the main character is some kind of terrible goblin who screams a lot and are often drawn as a chibi blob while they have their "clever" plans or reasoning backfire and they get exactly what they deserve while a straight man character or narrator heedlessly tells them that they are an idiot but things turn out alright and heartwarming in the end. Examples we have watched include Tearmoon Empire, The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated!, 'Tis Time for "Torture," Princess, Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro, and Squid Girl.

I'm sure there are a lot of shows where elements of the above are true, but the key part of those examples is that only the main character is particularly zany for all or most of the runtime, and they get a lot of internal monologue or at least talks out loud to themselves a lot, putting their dumbass thoughts on display for all to see.

edit: For instance we've watched and enjoyed Kaguya-sama: Love is War which has a bunch of elements of that but none of the main characters quite have that "terrible goblin" thing going on.

WataMote probably fits.