Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Droyer posted:

Isn't there some other anime about making anime?

Animation Runner Kuromi
Episode 10 of Paranoia Agent
Episode 6 of Golden Boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Oh, and Otaku No Video.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

DamnGlitch posted:

Regarding the psychopass movie, the animation is definitely way above whats in the show, and the gore is pretty intense too. The backgrounds are pretty silly a lot of the time, but thats sorta been the aesthetic for the show as well. Honestly its not much more egregious than some of the funky cg in the second gits movie.

It does however have the same off model problem that production ig bumps into sometimes. For instance, the main gal has big ol hooters in her little sparing match at the beginning of the film, and then literally the next scene, in the shower no less, shes at her normal size, which is pretty weird.

Well she's not going to wear a push-up in the shower is she?

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

What, what Studio Ghibli movies have the same tone and feeling as a Satoshi Kon film?

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

aherdofpenguins posted:

I just watched 5 Centimeters Per Second and bawled my eyes out. It started out like a pretty typical romantic drama, but ended on way more of a mature note than I was expecting. I liked it a LOT, and would like to keep going with this kind of anime.

Does anyone have any suggestions for movies that are kind of like this that...

1) are not Ghibli

2) are emotional, but don't try to elicit cheap feels by killing off characters

Any help would be appreciated! I haven't watched any sort of anime in a long time, and watching that was a very pleasant surprise.

Garden of Words is the closest Shinkai's come to making another 5cm/s and with a running time of ~45min it doesn't overstay its welcome.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

I find all of Shinkai's works beautiful enough that I'm always keen to watch them, but his pacing is really bad a lot of the time, including Place Promised and especially Children Who Chase Lost Voices.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

I'm glad he does occasional TV commercials because that and music videos are a perfect match for his strengths while avoiding his weaknesses.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

It is, however, pretty lame.

That's just mean.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

His and Her Circumstances and Lovely Complex if you're not trying to avoid any comedic elements.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Bad Seafood posted:

From now on all posts advocating the existence of "Smart" fanservice must include a short paragraph detailing what separates it from "Regular" fanservice and "Stupid" fanservice.

There's only two kinds of fanservice - "Successful" and "Unsuccessful".
Success is measured by the rigidity of my dick.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Pavlov posted:

What you've never seen pictures of steven hawking in a thong?

I haven't. Post them.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

True dat.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Reds posted:

Good fanservice compliments, bad fanservice is intrusive.

Most of the time I just wish it wasn't there to begin with because most of the time it's unnecessary and stuck in for pandering. It's a fine line and most things charge straight over it.

What if it's the primary purpose and focus, thus neither complementing nor intruding upon anything?

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

MSPaintClock posted:

I finally watched all of Legend of Galactic Heroes, it really was amazing.
But where do I go from here?

Someone recommend me something new- here are the precious Animes I love:

Kemonozume (My favorite ever.)
Tatami Galaxy
Mind Games
Ping Pong
Basically everything with Masaaki Yuasas name attached to it

Miyazaki Films
Hosoda Films

Mononoke
Kids on the Slope
Ghost in the Shell
Samurai Champloo
FLCL
Death Note
Trigun
Cowboy BeBop
Space Dandy
Berserk
Flowers of Evil
Sword Art Online

I like good story, animation and artwork. Even if not's anime if you think it fits my interests go for it.

edit: I might try to find where I left off in Monster and finish that, but save me the trouble and just recommend me something new.

Anything (everything) by Satoshi Kon would be my first recommendation, as well as the non Miyazaki Ghibli films, specifically the ones from Takahata and Whisper of the Heart.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Kick-Heart if you haven't checked it out yet.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

It's the first OVA from 1994.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Old animation is usually pretty cool, but I still don't like all that junky limited animation studios like Filmation and Hanna-Barbera were producing in the 60s and 70s. Sorry Flintstones fans.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Castle of Cagliostro
Adolescence of Utena
Beautiful Dreamer
K-On! The Movie

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Davincie posted:

ocean waves sucks rear end

I like Ocean Waves. It's a nice, quiet little film.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

It's also because the Netflix offering here is poo poo. You have 22 Jump Street but not 21 Jump Street? What the gently caress Netflix?

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

http://www.finder.com.au/netflix-australia-vs-netflix-us-tv-shows

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Innocence is the kind of movie you just... wallow in.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM-BO0ccO38

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

The Devil Tesla posted:

Watch Patlabor.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

You're Under Arrest OVA

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

That's not in response to Davincie, I'm just recommending it in general to everyone.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Kly posted:

hi i dont really watch or like much anime but i liked the movie Spirited Away because off all the crazy monsters/demons/spirits hangin out acting kinda normal and human. other things that are kind of like that that i liked are when Goku died and went to hell then had to run across a long path to get back to life, a nintendo DS game called shin megami tensei: strange journey where some times demons were friendly and you could talk them out of fighting or into joining you and the game Disgaea where everyone is in a netherworld and are evil demons but still go about their normal day-to-day demon stuff. are there any movies or shows that are kind of like this? like a "lots of different monsters being weird but still acting kind of human" genre?

Urusei Yatsura, because it turns out space is really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

eatenmyeyes posted:

I'm a few episodes into Utena and liking it so far. Seriously though, how many times are they going to show her climbing those stairs?

Until they find out there was an easier way to get up there the whole time.