Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
as a seasoned anime watcher, allow me to suggest some of the most critically-acclaimed animes of the last-

Weyd posted:

Love Hina

Quintessential Quintuplets or get consumed by the miasmatic decadence that is Domestic Girlfriend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I need some horror manga recs. Some direction:

1) Something Gantz-esque. Not specifically in the hyper-violent oversexed edgelord genre (though I'm not bothered by it in horror), but more about normal-rear end people surviving strange unknowable entities, but specifically leaning toward horror elements over simple action. The Gantz appeal was more the bleak human struggle against the impossible and overcoming insurmountable challenges, and that conflict feels impactful and visceral like a knife fight in the street, instead of chipping away at invisible health bars. I enjoyed the gonzo-rear end alien design, as to me it added an element of uncertainty to the interactions between the characters and aliens (e.g., what the gently caress is that --- oooooooh that's what it does, well that can't be good for our MC).

2) Something Happiness-esque. I like Oshimi's other works (especially Flowers of Evil), for reference. In this rec, I'm looking for horror (and preferably some romance) as a theme. I liked the idea of the (again, normal-rear end) MC thrust into horror by the near unknowable action of another, but also drawing on this system of companionship and overcoming a systems working against them. I liked the "romance by understanding shared struggle" as well.

Maybe the through-line is "normal-rear end person learning to cope in an unknown (horror) world by the mysterious actions of another, bonding in some capacity with others trying to overcome the same experience, whilst discovering unknowable systems necessary for success in this new environment".

I've read berserk and junji ito. I don't typically read isekai but I'm not opposed to it so long as it's not just a bad plot device.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

chiasaur11 posted:

Have you read Chainsaw Man? It might be something you'd like. The series is about people trying to survive in a world of horror and madness. It's often comedic because some of the characters are absolutely insane, but the grim is still visible.

Hm.. I've watched the anime, is moving to the manga worthwhile?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Are any of the Gantz spinoff manga worth reading?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Insomniacs After Dark but it’s more grounded in reality

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Perfect Blue

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What you don't seem to understand is that you seemed to shame an honest man

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Detective Conan

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Roxors posted:

Thanks all. Mushishi is one I have already watched, and it was really good, I enjoyed it a lot, I might need to rewatch it. I remember reading Apothacary Diaries, I don't remember why I stopped, but I need to pick it back up again, and probably start over. I watched the first 2 episodes of Jeweler Richard, it is interesting, but pretty slow. I will give it some more episodes to see where it goes. I enjoyed Detective Conan, but it is another I dropped at some point, it fell pretty hard in the constant murders thing.
I will be checking out Hyouka and Haruchika next. Thanks all!

Undead Murder Farce is on episode 7 and thus far just has one case about the murder of a vampire, and one case about jewel thieves and literal Sherlock Holmes as a side piece

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Galvanik posted:

This is what happened when I tried to watch it. I couldn't stand the main guy and stopped watching. Does he get less awful?

lol nope

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Nana

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
e: whoops

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

AlternateNu posted:

Nana's anime ending was terrible because they just cut off in the middle of that arc and do a flash forward for the last episode which spoils a bunch of crap from a few arcs in the future. If you're going to watch Nana, stop at the penultimate episode and just read the manga from there.

What kind of logic is this? I bet you’d recommend people skip the last bit of The Promised Neverland anime too

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

hey mom its 420 posted:

I just did everything there is to do in armored core 6 and I'm hyped for more mechs! Where do I start with mech animes and what are the best ones? The only one that has mechs in it that I watched is Evangelion

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
It’s not like AC6, but Attack On Titan is probably the best mecha of the past decade.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Furnaceface posted:

In the mood for something different than my usual go to genres. Feeling like a good drama+comedy show could hit the spot, though I honestly have no idea where to even start.

Anything is fair game, even teenage drama if its handled well enough. Just no idol or magical girl shows.

Domestic Girlfriend

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Mashle

or just watch Spy x Family

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Danger Diabolik posted:

What are some good trashy dubbed anime a la food wars (preferably without the naked children). Ideally on hidive or Netflix?

Edit: and not super action heavy.

Grand Blue

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Ccs posted:

I'm watching "Sing Yesterday for Me", a series from 2020 about relationship drama between people in their late teens to early 20s. It's a thoughtful series where things evolve slowly, but still enough to keep my attention. A lot of people being very persistent but not having their feelings reciprocated, which will hopefully change somewhat in the last few episodes so that at least one couple can be happy?
Edit: Finished it. Yeah, I think its a worthwhile show. Some very messed up people in this show, but relatable emotions.

Scums Wish my dude

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Birdie Wing is p. gay but not like canon gay

Also basically every character of significance is female

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s about as gay as it can be without it being explicit

You’re reading too much in to it. It’s just two women living together and raising adopted kids while one runs a bar and the other gets involved in mafia gambling underground golf gundam-rear end matches with another young and chipper rival female golfer dreams longingly of when they will meet again (to play golf) and lady with a snake tattoo on her stomach drives a convertible.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Nana

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Arc Hammer posted:

So my local theater plays some anime films every month and I've taken my friend who hasn't warched very much out to see two movies so far: Cowboy Bebop and then this past week we watched Paprika. He told me he really enjoyed both of them and said that he does want to try and tackle Eva at some point. I figure if he wants to try it I won't stop him but I'd still like to find some more film recommendations to try on him rather than TV series.

He told me that the things he really enjoyed about Paprika and Bebop were the vibes and the animation, which makes me think mood pieces might be a good fit. He's already down to watch Satoshi Kon's other movies if they play at the theater and I fully intend to strap him to a chair and Ludovico Technique him into enjoying Redline. Any other film suggestions based off what he said he likes?

Maquia

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Captain Invictus posted:

Any manga humble bundle like that is generally worth the purchase, it's rare that they cram them full of outright garbage, it's usually a significant value in really good series, and often includes the entirety of them if they're completed series.

Tell that to my Overwatch issues

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
rec me a manga along the lines of:

shuzo oshimi's works (happiness, aku no hana, blood on the tracks, etc)
punpun/eri
scums wish

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

SexyBlindfold posted:

if the line you're after is "abject misery"

Yeah but with an element of unusual/dysfunctional romance. like Aku No Hana specifically works because of Takao's interest/obsession with Sawa.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Arc Hammer posted:

Fantasy settings that don't wear TTRPG trappings like mana, guilds and character classes, please. I like those things in moderation but I could really go for something unique that doesn't pull from the usual toy box.

Drifters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Southern Cassowary posted:

ya boy kongming is a ridiculous reverse isekai that owns incredibly hard

hell yeah