Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
GDI or NOD?
This poll is closed.
GDI 46 20.54%
Nod 57 25.45%
SUFFER!!! 121 54.02%
Total: 224 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

speaking of Generals, by the time it was made all of the former Westwood people had quit right? So really Tiberium Wars is not really in the same canon except for the fact that Joe Kugan is still around :v:

And yet they still managed to make RA3 and make it enjoyable like RA2 without any Westwood people's help, so what the hell happened here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I have no idea about staff changeover, except that it probably happened between and during every game ever by every studio so .... at least as far as I'm concerned, Generals was a weird attempt to make a Modern Warfare RTS - trying to bring the C&C brand name to a different audience. It was bad. Zero Hour made it good. Not coincidentally, ZH brought back some of the C&C archetype that was missing from stock Generals. Plus, General Challenge was awesome and more games need AI skirmish modes where the enemy general makes fun of you over chat.

C&C3, both good and bad, played as a very deliberate throwback to the 1994 C&C. Like you could tell the design docs all had "USE TIBERIAN DAWN AS YOUR INSPIRATION" written on the header.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Video 2, nod mission 1 is now up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5roeWL7pWi8

Edit: Feedback is welcome on my commentary.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 6, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Psion posted:

Plus, General Challenge was awesome and more games need AI skirmish modes where the enemy general makes fun of you over chat.

When we get there, you will wish I had edited or replaced the audio with something else, because the taunting never stops, IT. NEVER. STOPS., even as you are using your 50+ death lasers on their base.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SugarAddict posted:

When we get there, you will wish I had edited or replaced the audio with something else, because the taunting never stops, IT. NEVER. STOPS., even as you are using your 50+ death lasers on their base.
It didn't help that most of the generals taunting was really awkward and painfully lame either.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

SugarAddict posted:

Video 2, nod mission 1 is now up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5roeWL7pWi8

Edit: Feedback is welcome on my commentary.

I didn't hear any commentary. Are you sure you uploaded the right video? Nevermind, I found the subtitles.

But as a request: Could you please let the nice man in the mission objective cutscenes finish talking? It doesn't take that long, and you skipping them is kinda jarring.

Nuramor fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 6, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Nuramor posted:

But as a request: Could you please let the nice man in the mission objective cutscenes finish talking? It doesn't take that long, and you skipping them is kinda jarring.

I will do this in future missions, but it does get annoying because he does this all the time and every mission.
Edit: I will probably shift to a more aggressive recording schedule simply because I want to go though all the games.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

SugarAddict posted:

Soon your base will glow like the sun!
Melt! Everything must melt!

Poil posted:

It didn't help that most of the generals taunting was really awkward and painfully lame either.

I dunno, it makes it even funnier in my opinion. Generals/ZH is pure cheese, for all it pretends to have a veneer of modern military oorah over it. It's like ten year olds having a playground fight.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Psion posted:

It's like ten year olds having a playground fight.

You say that as if that's not the case of every single modern military oorah-simulator.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Fanzay posted:

You say that as if that's not the case of every single modern military oorah-simulator.

Fair point. It's more honest about being ten year olds having a playground fight.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Psion posted:

Fair point. It's more honest about world leaders being ten year olds having a playground fight.

FYP.

Psion posted:

On this map I usually build 20+ particle canons and spend the rest of the match just lasering everything to death.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

yikes is it just me or did the game actually jutter that much when you would scroll across the map?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Aces High posted:

yikes is it just me or did the game actually jutter that much when you would scroll across the map?

I think that was me alt tabbing out to check to see if it's still recording. 2rd nod mission will be done tonight.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Nod MIssion 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XevaReTPzoA

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

is it just me or are the videos really quiet?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Aces High posted:

is it just me or are the videos really quiet?

The volume on my computer is all sorts of hosed up, so what may be loud for me might be quiet for everyone else, mostly because the main system volume doesn't entirely work.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
God bless you SugarAddict for sticking with this.

I don't what it is about C&C3 but the graphics seemed to be a step backwards compared to Generals. Like maybe they overdid it with the Tiberium scarring on the landscape or something.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I still felt that Generals was a huge step down in comparison to RA2 and TS since they shrank all of the infantry models and all the other models look really box-like. Then again, RA2 was a breed of its own

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Nod mission 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykHW1FTlWPo

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Nod mission 4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4bqMch7uF8

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Nod mission 5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2fRvpf5qos

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Nod Mission 6:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbV8KmZiILs

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Yeah, Laser Venoms are ridiculous. Also, I must admit, I was a bit amused by you accidentally unfolding that one outpost before it even left the base area.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Nuramor posted:

Yeah, Laser Venoms are ridiculous. Also, I must admit, I was a bit amused by you accidentally unfolding that one outpost before it even left the base area.

So that's what happened to that outpost. I lost track of it and I assumed it got blown up.

In other news I won't be able to do an update for a few days.

ultrabindu posted:

So that 5 week gap is when the early GDI campaign missions take place then?

Yes.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 13, 2015

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
So that 5 week gap is when the early GDI campaign missions take place then?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Venoms solve everything. They even target for arty, because why the gently caress not?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

wiegieman posted:

Venoms solve everything. They even target for arty, because why the gently caress not?
The logic for that one is actually pretty goddamn funny. Still, Nod doesn't get proper artillery until the expansion and even that is gimmicky as gently caress.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

wiegieman posted:

Venoms solve everything.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Vipers solving everything
Nod Mission 7:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thWrapg5RV8

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

anilEhilated posted:

The logic for that one is actually pretty goddamn funny. Still, Nod doesn't get proper artillery until the expansion and even that is gimmicky as gently caress.

Funny, because Nod artillery ruined everything in Tiberian Sun.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

InfinityComplex posted:

This is true and not true, the Artillary AI was kind of wonky in that when used by the AI it had perfect attack range, while under player command it wouldn't attack enemy units at max range.

That and craters. Sooo many craters caused by artillary.

If I get around to doing the Tiberian sun expansion, one nod mission has your base COMPLETELY surrounded by craters, as in you can't exit your base without driving though a crater.
Nod mission 8 will also be uploaded tonight.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Oh hey, the only time stealth tanks will ever be used (because you got them free.)

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Nod Mission 8:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sNjusXfl9M

You get to see me lose because I ran out of money.
I also meant to post this last night but I ran out of time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

InfinityComplex posted:

And got promptly nerfed to night-uselessness in Firestorm, yeah.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

That and craters. Sooo many craters caused by artillery.
Concrete is God.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

anilEhilated posted:

And got promptly nerfed to night-uselessness in Firestorm, yeah.

To be fair, part of that nerf was just fixing the magic autohits that made artillery shots completely unavoidable.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Nod Mission 9:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6eM_CaWINE

I have no idea how to dispute this because they don't give me an option "You mistook a mix of ingame music and ingame sounds for something completely different" So I just opted to remove the audio than allow advertisements for someone's lovely audio recognition.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So uh... I never had any problems playing this game? It was never that hard to me, maybe I was doing it wrong? I don't remember death swarms or any poo poo.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Considering a lot of us must be using adblockers one way or another I'm not sure it'd be a major problem.

E: Mind you I'm not sure how youtube deals with adblockers on the paying side so there's still a few questions there. It might pretend they don't exist and still send money out which would be annoying here.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wait, so they auto force ads on too? :psyduck:

• Locked thread