Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
GDI or NOD?
This poll is closed.
GDI 46 20.54%
Nod 57 25.45%
SUFFER!!! 121 54.02%
Total: 224 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Poil posted:

Wait, so they auto force ads on too? :psyduck:

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The rat says squee
May 6, 2007
What else should they say?
Personally, I'd rather deal with an Ad-Blocked ad then have no sound. Not sure about everyone else though.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

The rat says squee posted:

Personally, I'd rather deal with an Ad-Blocked ad then have no sound. Not sure about everyone else though.

It's only about a minute and it's really not noticeable other than a lack of music.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Nod Mission 10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a9V5uY5m7I
ALIENS!!!

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Yes, that group of elite units is a *very* potent force.
Also, had you done the GDI campaign first we could have first seen those movies at the end directly, and not on some NOD viewscreen. :( Oh well, I guess we'll see them some other day.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Nuramor posted:

Yes, that group of elite units is a *very* potent force.
Also, had you done the GDI campaign first we could have first seen those movies at the end directly, and not on some NOD viewscreen. :( Oh well, I guess we'll see them some other day.

Wouldn't you have to keep jumping between the 3 campaigns to play everything in chronological order then?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ultrabindu posted:

Wouldn't you have to keep jumping between the 3 campaigns to play everything in chronological order then?
Yeah, they take place more or less at the same time but progress at different paces throughout.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

ultrabindu posted:

I wish I had thought of this sooner, this is something I would have done.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I'm working on the subtitles for Nod missions 11 and 12 right now, and I can see how quiet it is for you guys.

What I may end up doing is increasing the system volume to max and just use headphones with the inbuilt volume knob to control the volume on my end because it's significantly louder for me than what it is for you guys, and I can hear the result in the youtube video.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Nod Mission 11:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3YoNJfvnuM

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Yeah, those units are pretty harsh. Although every guide I have seen suggests capturing the Ion cannon center early, so you have one shot before its shut down when the wall falls. That and a wing of Vertigo bombers is enough to destroy the Warp Sphere which stops the vehicles at least.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Obelisks of Light are maxed out at four Beam Cannons, for what it's worth; any more is wasted. On defense its far more worthwhile to focus on getting multiple Obelisks up right away and then worry about working on Beam Cannons, they'll hold their own much better with complementary fire than the piecemeal defense like your first attempt. They work best in groups of at least three--- not necessarily right next to each other, but more of an elbow shape with concentric fields of fire over where the enemy is expected to attack from. Once you've got three+ obelisks up start assigning them a beam cannon each until they're maxed out. Or not maxed out. I find even one Beam Cannon each to three Obelisks works way better than one Obelisk with four Beam cannons with their combined rate of fire. You've got mostly the right idea though, Obelisks are the best anti-vehicle defense and using a few Venoms for anti-infantry is most efficient, as the smaller Nod turrets are pretty crap at damage and though can they can tank a few hits they are easily suppressed.

Broken Box fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 22, 2015

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I admit I'm only playing on Normal difficulty, but I had a lot less trouble on that mission than you did; I stomped them hard enough the GDI base was still mostly intact by the time I won. My strategy was basically aggressive spamming of Venoms, plus spamming engineers to capture the Ion Control Center and any tripods that got shot down. Between the Venoms' speed and the small map size, they could easily blunt the Scrin offensive on GDI and still defend my base, and the Scrin really don't have much AA here, and most of what they did have is Seekers, which are light enough to focus down. From there, I just used Vertigos and the ion cannon to crush the base defenses, then sent in the tripods and a few Avatars. Missed out on the intel, though.

Looking forward to Kane's Tower, though. That mission is a gigantic pain even on easy, I need to watch someone good at this game to figure out a good strategy. Multiple Ion Control Centers and having every enemy unit start at veteran? loving hell. That'd be a nightmare even with allied Scrin; having to defend a hostile army is just gravy on the top.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Nod Mission 12:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L4_hbrCKX0

I will have the audio fixed next mission, I recorded this at the same time as mission 11.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Nod Mission 13:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCdkU64mMT8
Audio fixed ( I think)
Also more venom spam.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

SugarAddict posted:

Also more venom spam.

Venoms and Lasers make everything better.

Man I have so many questions about what's going on.
So the mutants just upped and disappeared? They seemed pretty important to the plot of the last game. Does Firestorm explain anything about where they went?
Killian thought Kane wasn't looking out for the interests of the Brotherhood, but didn't launch the attack on you? What?
Do you get a different cut scene if you do manage to capture Killian's Temple?
Isn't Italy where Tiberium was first found, shouldn't it be a red zone completely covered with green crystals?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

ultrabindu posted:

Venoms and Lasers make everything better.

Man I have so many questions about what's going on.
So the mutants just upped and disappeared? They seemed pretty important to the plot of the last game. Does Firestorm explain anything about where they went?
Killian thought Kane wasn't looking out for the interests of the Brotherhood, but didn't launch the attack on you? What?
Do you get a different cut scene if you do manage to capture Killian's Temple?
Isn't Italy where Tiberium was first found, shouldn't it be a red zone completely covered with green crystals?

I think the majority of the mutants were cured using information and research from using the tasitus thingy.
It's been almost 10 years since I've played firestorm other than GDI developed a mutant cure injection at the end of the story.

We don't have any actual information on that, but some of the orders during the nod campaign after Kain vanished for a while were noted ingame that they were sketchy.

I don't know, I suppose I should try and find out.
It was named after the tibus river in Italy so yes.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Nod Mission 14:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6J5DvhPjJg

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Nod Mission 15:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTrlv0VQdtc

Update delayed due to watching SAO abridged, X-COM longwar LP, and me being generally incompetent.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 2, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Nod Mission 16:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxTymjoBkMo

Next up, last nod mission:
Tower of Kefka Kane!

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Nod Mission 17:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VIMwqpz1Z8

:argh: fuuucccckk offfff!!!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I don't actually see Youtube ads, so they've never been a big deal to me.

Rasler
Dec 30, 2008
That ending seemed a bit...anticlimatic.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
And in the end we get... No loving answers at all, just a fade-to-white copout.

If only they'd made a final sequel, they might put some actual answers in there, maybe explain what the aliens were up to and how it all fits together.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

kaosdrachen posted:

And in the end we get... No loving answers at all, just a fade-to-white copout.

If only they'd made a final sequel, they might put some actual answers in there, maybe explain what the aliens were up to and how it all fits together.

There is the GDI campaign I have to go though, and someone said there's a scrin campaign as well.

After that, there's the expansion.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

SugarAddict posted:

There is the GDI campaign I have to go though, and someone said there's a scrin campaign as well.

After that, there's the expansion.

Something tells me none of those are going to provide any answers at all.

That was a miserable end to the Nod campaign.
No reveal about whether Killian did order the attack on you.
Ajay's doubts about Kane is just a plot thread left dangling and walking off into the light is the final cut scene. I know your supposed to leave your audience wanting more but dang.
End of campaign - Exit Kane - Stage right.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

ultrabindu posted:

No reveal about whether Killian did order the attack on you.
That question at least will be answered in the expansion, otherwise the NOD campaign is pretty unsatisfying though, yeah.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

these cutscenes in the Nod campaign weren't very endearing. Outside of Joe none of the other Nod people had any real substance to them and so it just felt really :geno: and :effort: when compared to Seth and Slavik's gang.

Iirc GDI has Billy Dee Williams in their group so I hope they are at least somewhat entertaining to watch

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Aces High posted:

these cutscenes in the Nod campaign weren't very endearing. Outside of Joe none of the other Nod people had any real substance to them and so it just felt really :geno: and :effort: when compared to Seth and Slavik's gang.

Iirc GDI has Billy Dee Williams in their group so I hope they are at least somewhat entertaining to watch

Billy Dee and Michael Ironside hamming it up like crazy. Also Kirks mom/House female doctor #1 and Boomer to round out the command crew.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

oh poo poo Michael Ironside as well? Ok that changes things :)

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
GDI Mission 1 and 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPEnVkCYD8g

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

alright, so Ironside is basically doing his "Roughnecks" character from Starship Troopers. This has instantly made the GDI mission videos better than Nod, even though that's brought down by the boring asian from Battlestar Galactica

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
GDI missions 3 and 4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw4-2C4W508

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Aces High posted:

That's EA for you.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

The GDI commando is the best commando, always.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

ArchWizard posted:

The GDI commando is the best commando, always.

I GOT A PRESENT FOR YA!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Hoss Corncave posted:

I GOT A PRESENT FOR YA!
Truly a quote that went down in history.
I still find it weird that the stealth-based faction has a commando whose specialty is loving worthless while the GDI get an amazing one.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Truly a quote that went down in history.
I still find it weird that the stealth-based faction has a commando whose specialty is loving worthless while the GDI get an amazing one.

I think it's to make up for everything else being good. Nod gets better defenses, better air force, better vehicles, and a better campaign.
GDI gets snipers, titan artillery, infantry can build bunkers, APCs, grenaders, and the battle outpost.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Watching these videos has reminded me just how boring and uninspired C&C 3 was. Tiberian Sun had a much better post apocolyptic feel, and GDI had all kinda of interesting mechs, hovercraft, and sonic technology that has been taken away here. They just made this game so bland :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

Watching these videos has reminded me just how boring and uninspired C&C 3 was. Tiberian Sun had a much better post apocolyptic feel, and GDI had all kinda of interesting mechs, hovercraft, and sonic technology that has been taken away here. They just made this game so bland :smith:

Thats EA.

• Locked thread