Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
GDI or NOD?
This poll is closed.
GDI 46 20.54%
Nod 57 25.45%
SUFFER!!! 121 54.02%
Total: 224 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Soylent Pudding posted:

Watching these videos has reminded me just how boring and uninspired C&C 3 was. Tiberian Sun had a much better post apocolyptic feel, and GDI had all kinda of interesting mechs, hovercraft, and sonic technology that has been taken away here. They just made this game so bland :smith:

"We used to use awesome walking battle tanks, but then we figured it was possible for a skilled commando to plant an explosive charge on one's legs to bring it down, and we decided to just use a tank that was already stuck on the ground instead." Great logic, EA. Well done making it worse.

Now I'm remembering Tiberian Sun, and thinking "Oh poo poo there's a seeker bomb coming, ACTIVATE THE FIRESTORM WALL, HURRY DO IT NOW", and that being a logical sequence of events. Man, that game was so much more fun. Hell, even their hellscapes were more interesting; remember the vivid yellow cast they used, that crackling lightning? The dull brown of C&C3 red zones feels like it's had tiberium leech the energy out of it in more ways than one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

SugarAddict posted:

I think it's to make up for everything else being good. Nod gets better defenses, better air force, better vehicles, and a better campaign.
GDI gets snipers, titan artillery, infantry can build bunkers, APCs, grenaders, and the battle outpost.

GDI has Ironside though.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

WFGuy posted:

"We used to use awesome walking battle tanks, but then we figured it was possible for a skilled commando to plant an explosive charge on one's legs to bring it down, and we decided to just use a tank that was already stuck on the ground instead." Great logic, EA. Well done making it worse.

Now I'm remembering Tiberian Sun, and thinking "Oh poo poo there's a seeker bomb coming, ACTIVATE THE FIRESTORM WALL, HURRY DO IT NOW", and that being a logical sequence of events. Man, that game was so much more fun. Hell, even their hellscapes were more interesting; remember the vivid yellow cast they used, that crackling lightning? The dull brown of C&C3 red zones feels like it's had tiberium leech the energy out of it in more ways than one.

Firestorm walls don't stop the nod multi, chem, or the hunter seeker bomb, it does stop the smaller missiles that come from the multi-missile.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

That reminds me, what happened to the tiberium veins? I don't think we've seen them in this setting yet despite going deep into the red zones. Same question for all the rather nasty monsters that you could find in Tiberian Sun as well.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

SugarAddict posted:

Firestorm walls don't stop the nod multi, chem, or the hunter seeker bomb, it does stop the smaller missiles that come from the multi-missile.

They totally do and I'd go and find a video from my TS LP to show it off but I can't bear to listen to the terrible audio I had back then. There were several GDI missions that were a huge pain if you didn't build a Firestorm wall to intercept incoming missiles.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
GDI mission 5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpKhjBvkVOM

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
GDI Mission 6:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9avskgmYFDQ

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
They may not be optimally efficient or whatever but I really enjoy using Firehawks. GDI air is quite satisfying, even if the best strategy is still probably to vomit tanks everywhere.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Psion posted:

They may not be optimally efficient or whatever but I really enjoy using Firehawks. GDI air is quite satisfying, even if the best strategy is still probably to vomit tanks everywhere.

If I knew anything about making gifs I would make a smiley gif vomiting tanks now.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Psion posted:

That's pretty much what my friend did when he played the game. In the final GDI mission he just steamrolled everything with about 20 or so Mammoths.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Drunk Director Lando is best character.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
GDI mission 7:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fag5rLWc44Y

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
GDI mission 8:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyJTcnmeoy4

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Orcas appear to be complete trash so it's at least one more bit of continuity with CnC2.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Fun fact, You can't do video editing with videos that people think have copyrighted audio in it.

also: :argh: FUUUCCCCKKK OOOFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Time to add a link to ublock origin for chrome and firefox in the OP then. :v:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

SIGSEGV posted:

Time to add a link to ublock origin for chrome and firefox in the OP then. :v:

I had to remove the copyrighted content otherwise it wouldn't let me paste the 3 video chunks together.

GDI Mission 9:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c04RgjcFnLI

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

I had to remove the copyrighted content otherwise it wouldn't let me paste the 3 video chunks together.

I had forgotten that last bit.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
GDI mission 10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrXFSKGcaZM

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
For the next mission, while it's uploading a gigabyte for the video, I would like to talk about my semi-blind run for this mission:

This is the Nod Temple Fortress mission, this mission has you assaulting a fuckoff fortress with thick defenses that covers most of the map.

To start the mission off I have my forces clear out all the infantry in the starting location, unfortunately alot of my building area is covered by in-destructible civilian buildings.

Defense
So for defenses, theres 3 entrances that need to be defended.

The North Entrance:
Nod sends hoards of infantry this way.

The North East Entrance:
Nod sends vehicles, infantry, and commandos this way and will be the lynchpin of your defeat.

and the East East Entrance:
Nod sends vehicles this way.

On top of that, Nod will periodically send Venoms' and Vertico bombers to destroy and harass your base and defenses.

For the North entrance I build 6 APCs and a Battle Rig to repair the APCs.

Why APCs?
They aren't as expensive as snipers and are mostly effective against infantry, and can defend themselves against air.

For the East Entrance I send my two starting Mammoth tanks and my starting battle rig with another two mammoth tanks.
These will be fine until they get beam cannons going.

For the North East Entrance:
Snipers in 4 bunkers, hordes of zone troopers, 2 watch towers, and bulldogs on the sides.

Snipers in bunkers because they NEED to bait and kill flame troopers and other infantry (there will be assloads)
Bunkers offer garrisoned units the ability to fire without turning and increased range as well as defense against most anti-infantry attacks.

Zone troopers because they have more attacks, are infantry so they can take hits from beam cannons, scorpion tanks, and avatars. They can also mow down flame tanks and other vehicles, they can also somewhat hold their own against infantry because of rapid fire.
They also auto-repair and you can get a ton of them in a small space.

Zone troopers are also significantly cheaper and start as veterans if you use the drop pods to summon them. 4500 for 4 veterans compared to 1300 each from the barrax.

The watch towers also serve as bait for flame tanks, flame troopers, vertigo bombers, and serve as anti-infantry and stealth detection.

I also have 4 or so airplanes with AA missiles loaded in front of the North East Entrance on AA duty, I should have had more I guess.

Offense
For offense, you start out with Air units attacking the obelisks in the north east direction of your base Either of the two Nod base entrances will do.
After that you get a sniper up to the wall near where the first Nod Shield Generator is.

At this point the game gives you 3 juggernauts for artillery and finally lets you build them.

Also at this point, I need to talk about Nod Stealth detection.

Nod turrets do not get stealth detection, but their hub does. This means they have very poor stealth detection outside of roaming Venom aircraft and their hubs.

After you destroy the first Shield generator with juggernaut bombardment, the shield will shrink significantly.
At this point you should have an ion cannon generator up and you can start ion cannoning their unit factories, this will make it easier for you to defend and attack.

Keep defending and building up your zone troopers while ion cannoning the fortress factories and defenses.

2nd attack: best is zone trooper and APCs with snipers/rockets in them for AA and anti-infantry.
Nod does not have anti-infantry turrets and most of their vehicles are in-effective against zone troopers outside of lucky flame attacks.

Get into range to bombard the 2nd Shield generator while continuing to use your zone troopers and APCs to hold your position.

After the 2nd shield generator goes down, proceed to ion cannon their factories and defenses.

3rd attack: zone troopers, AA, and stuff.
Attack the left side of the final layer of the Nod defenses, bombard the final shield gen, then proceed to bombard the obelisks.

Those obelisks will rapidly kill infantry and vehicles and are generally not worth ineffectively suiciding your units into.

After that, proceed to kill their small temple of nod to stop the nuke.

FIN
Goof off or whatever.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
GDI mission 11:
Winning attempt starts at the second video at 13:18

Attempt 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhw65_YP28E
Attempt 2-4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3zJiAhQYRg
Attempt 4 part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v02R_j9a7kE

Also note, I took too drat long. I suppose I should first win the mission, then record a winning mission without me loving around the entire time.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
And this is why career politicians should not be the ones making battlefield decisions.

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan
Best unit portrait so far (taken from 3rd GDI mission IIRC):

Looks like he's storing the extra ammo in his lower colon.

Was the GDI commando in the mission 3 or 4 regenerating health somehow? If not then he appeared impervious to all forms of enemy damage. Is he completely or only partially game-breaking?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

dbcooper posted:

Best unit portrait so far (taken from 3rd GDI mission IIRC):

Looks like he's storing the extra ammo in his lower colon.

Was the GDI commando in the mission 3 or 4 regenerating health somehow? If not then he appeared impervious to all forms of enemy damage. Is he completely or only partially game-breaking?

Probably veterancy. I think level 2 gives units regenerating health.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Probably veterancy. I think level 2 gives units regenerating health.

Star level Veterancy gives regenerating health to the unit.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

SugarAddict posted:

GDI mission 11:

Also note, I took too drat long. I suppose I should first win the mission, then record a winning mission without me loving around the entire time.

To be fair you played this mission almost exactly as I would have.
The only difference probably after the first failure I'd have been more aggressive about claiming those Tiberium patches in the top right and bottom left. The idea of using APCs and Rigs seemed sound to me.

kaosdrachen posted:

And this is why career politicians should not be the ones making battlefield decisions.

I would follow drunk Lando to the ends of the Earth.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

ultrabindu posted:

I would follow drunk Lando to the ends of the Earth.

With him in charge, that's about five minutes.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

ultrabindu posted:

The only difference probably after the first failure I'd have been more aggressive about claiming those Tiberium patches in the top right and bottom left. The idea of using APCs and Rigs seemed sound to me.

That's an idea, each nod exit having their own defense group to control it. The only problem is when I build elsewhere other than the starting location they send MORE crap at me.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

SugarAddict posted:

That's an idea, each nod exit having their own defense group to control it. The only problem is when I build elsewhere other than the starting location they send MORE crap at me.

Interesting, that sounds like something in the AI scripting for that level. I've never played this game before so I'm pretty much relying on general ideas I use in these types of games. After grabbing those resources I'd have shat out loads of Mammoths, with the rail gun upgrade and some snipers and tried an early rush, but from what you're saying I'd most likely get my poo poo kicked in and lose the expansion bases.

kaosdrachen posted:

With him in charge, that's about five minutes.

Yeah, but it would be a hell of a five minutes :allears:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Expansion bases can be such a pain to set up since you think you've only got to worry about the NOD entrance you set up by, but each one has a back entrance. The NW patch is more easily defended since only troops come by the S entrance. You can set up juggernauts pummeling the bottlenecks too which really helps. The NOD base is well defended with multiple production points so any assault will be a battle of attrition. I usually capture a good number of avatars and send them on dedicated kamikaze runs at key structures to slow what they can send at you.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Expansion bases can be such a pain to set up since you think you've only got to worry about the NOD entrance you set up by, but each one has a back entrance. The NW patch is more easily defended since only troops come by the S entrance. You can set up juggernauts pummeling the bottlenecks too which really helps. The NOD base is well defended with multiple production points so any assault will be a battle of attrition. I usually capture a good number of avatars and send them on dedicated kamikaze runs at key structures to slow what they can send at you.

What you are supposed to do for this mission is send a sniper for bombardment for the first gen, then ion cannon the poo poo out of everything, move forward, rinse and repeat.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Thread on hiatus until holidays are over and I stop being sick.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

SugarAddict posted:

Thread on hiatus until holidays are over and I stop being sick.

Sorry to hear that, Tiberium poisoning sucks.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
GDI mission 12:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY8RdtW5PQU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
GDI Mission 13:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=appw1J3kwzw

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You mentioned that something must have changed during the development that didn't the devs didn't update this mission for. That "something" was a patch designed to rebalance the game to make make multiplayer more fair. The problem was this also resulted in a large number of nerfs that affect the player in the single-player campaign, but not really the AI. I remember the advice at the time was to play the game unpatched for the single-player campaign, and only patch when you wanted to move on to multiplayer.

My own personal anecdote for that situation was starting a campaign mission, saving, patching, then loading the game up to discover that a number of structures I built were now outside my Ground Control.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah, they made some huge changes to the MP balance and these also went into SP because ___________

For example, in 1.09 harvesters are approximately 35% less effective at gathering resources. This is on top of all the other changes they made to things previously. I remember Mammoths got hit pretty hard, commandos got better (a lot better) and they improved Firehawk AI but overall the campaign got a lot nastier with all the cumulative balance changes from 1.0 to the final patch. One of the key problems was sonic emitters were nerfed, and in the campaign against Scrin you have to rely on those things a lot. They were incredibly powerful in campaign and then uh whoops now they aren't.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I think they also increased the range of Nod rockettroopers at some point. I remember that after one patch they could suddenly outrange GDI minigun towers, which they couldn't before. That was a sudden wakeup, when your infantry defense has suddenly become useless.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Nuramor posted:

I think they also increased the range of Nod rockettroopers at some point. I remember that after one patch they could suddenly outrange GDI minigun towers, which they couldn't before. That was a sudden wakeup, when your infantry defense has suddenly become useless.

Nod rocket troopers also do AoE and are moderately effective against masses of infantry. And yes I did lose that one "switch power around" base defense map because nod rocket troopers outranged base defenses and they didn't let me make snipers until the map was over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Actually it's even dumber than that- the minigun tower does have the range to kill rocket troopers, but its targeting AI doesn't recognize that, so you have to manually select them and force them to attack the troopers. :downs:

• Locked thread