Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pik_d posted:

lmao come on, the B/C team is done with getting new powerups. The most we can hope for is SSGSS3 Gotenks (which would be extremely rad)

Nah, they're doing a tournament so there's a good chance at least one dude is gonna get some kind of punchhard power, if just so he can job and Goku/Vegeta can show off their even-stronger powerup by beating the guy who beat him.

Like how Piccolo powered up to fight Cell and Android 17.

Or like how Piccolo powered up to fight Frieza.

Or like how Piccolo powered up to fight Nappa.

... being Piccolo sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

This has been bothering me for a while, why does he get shorter? Trunks is noticeably taller when he comes out of the hypersonic lion tamer because of a year worth of ageing, but he shrinks back to (and adopts the old hairstyle of) pre-crying chamber when he shows up in heroes and xenoverse.

Probably just toriyama being himself (Vegeta's height increase and shrinking hair), but I can't be the only person who sees it.

I think it's probably just art weirdness in that area. Though "Toriyama forgot" is never a bad assumption.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Petiso posted:

Nah, he's already like that in his final appearance:

And he doesn't really look taller after spending a year in the hyperglycemic crime chamber:

I think Caros probably means the anime where Trunks does look noticably buffer when coming out of the time chamber I think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

visceril posted:

So...was Beerus saying he was using 100% of his energy to fight Red Goku a mistranslation?

That was very explicitly Beerus making an excuse for why he didn't keep his promise to blow up the Earth despite Goku losing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Man I never really noticed before, but Gohan sure is super skinny now in Super.

New episode is really good though. And it looks like the anime will finally introduce Champa next week.

Everyone is way way skinnier in Super/BoG-era. It's a little odd

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, is OnePunchMan's gimmick like a magic thing, where he beats anything with one punch because that's just the way the universe works, or is he just supposed to be such a badass that he's never needed more than one punch, and it's still theoretically possible for him to have to punch someone twice if he meets someone tough enough?

This is important.

It's the latter. The joke is that he is hilariously absurdly ridiculously strong but it never matters because nothing can challenge him and his origin story is "pushups, situps and plenty of juice."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Enourmo posted:

So it's literally an entire show of the Z fighters trying not to nuke the strength testers/other competitors at the budokai in the buu saga.

Awesome.

Sort of. He has a supporting cast who are of a lower power level and it actually allows for some legitimately great (if often hilarious) fights, at least in the manga.It's just that at the end of the day you've got One Punch Man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sharktamer posted:

It's awesome on Piccolo, no one else. Gohan wearing it is like a white guy with dreadlocks.

Cell Games Gohan is the best Gohan design.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

the culminator posted:

Do we even know what Gohan's a scholar in?

Like, is it geology or some boring poo poo like that?

He apparently wrote some kind of scientific book on ki and energy manipulation so I guess he's a scholar in kung-fu.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Covok posted:

It does make an interesting question: if people must actively block, why didn't someone kill Frieza in his sleep?

Even assuming Frieza needs to sleep it's pretty goddamn hard to kill him. He survived being cut in half and caught in an exploding planet.

facebook jihad posted:

Gohan loving sucks and was always lame. He ran away from Nappa of all people

Nappa killed half the cast of Dragonball on his own including Piccolo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

say hello to the dragon ball super multiversal tournament teams

I look forward to seeing how Winnie the Buu fights.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kurui Reiten posted:

So wait, looking at that little Saiyan guy, and then looking at this...

The eyebrows are off, and the hair is a little different, but could that be Universe 6 Tarble?

I think it's just Toriyama having a fairly limited selection of faces.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kild posted:

Yeah that's not true. He forgets like everything

That is the joke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Namtab posted:

I don't think we've ever had canon defined wrt buu's penis

Sadly we have.

Buu and Miss Buu rip parts of thier bodies off, mix them together and then shoot them with the Love Love Beam to make a Baby Buu.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Namtab posted:

Is online canon?

I don't know if Online is but the Buu race is in Xenoverse!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yo! Son Goku is a much better Dragonball story than most. It is goofy and lighthearted and silly which is entirely what Dragonball is at its heart. That isn't to say it doesn't have serious moments but the franchise knows what it wants to be.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I just prefer the content I grew up with as opposed to the more unfiltered modern stuff. Personal taste.

The content you grew up with was badly butched and censored. At bare minimum you need to be aware that is unlikely to be what anything modern would follow.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Broly is a super serious villain you guys.

Just ignore his entire motivation for hating the protagonist.

Brolly motivation is the best thing about the character because it is Toriyamasque in how petty and ridiculous it is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

facebook jihad posted:

This and posts like it are really dumb. Sure 'real dragon ball' is the goofy poo poo they did in the pilaf/red ribbon/Buu saga, but there was a period where it was a lot more serious in tone. And Funimation/English dubs really did market the show as being bad rear end. No one in my middle school liked DB because it was goofy and funny. We had nick toons for that. Kids wanted to watch Goku punch people.

There's goofy stuff in every arc. Like you can point at Namek and how Frieza is so scary but it's bookended by Frieza's primary villain squad being the freaking Ginyu Force. Especially with the anime taken into account there's also tons of silly filler in-between (or even during, like Bulma vs the GInyufrog) dramatic fights.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

facebook jihad posted:

Recoome also broke Gohan's neck and Guldo was about to impale Krillin and Gohan like a kabob. I admit that there's a lot of goofy stuff in the series but if you think DBZ got popular because of Bulma switching bodies with a frog you are kidding yourself.

Yes, and Dragonball features both Krillin winning a fight because he doesn't have a nose and Krillin getting his neck broken by an assassin. The series having moments of brutality doesn't mean it isn't full of goofiness too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mycot posted:

It's more an argument against bringing up the Ginyu Squad making the entire Frieza arc nonserious. They're pretty much the only comedic relief in the Namek Saga (outside of Bulma filler I guess) and even then they weren't exactly Team Rocket.

Zarbon wasn't exactly Captain Serious either and he was basically the only other major villain before them. I guess there's Dodoria who barely was characterized before getting Vegeta'd.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mycot posted:

Dodoria barely did anything but one of the only things he did do was massacre innocent namekians onscreen.

I think I'd take that as "this is very serious" if Dragonball didn't play so fast and loose with mass killing but Beerus is a literal engine of genocide who kills entire planets when he's displeased and also a goofy cat-man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's true it was much better when it was about Xuanzang and Sun Wukong.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Let's be honest Gohan would have hosed it up and gotten absorbed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Goku is both a good and bad dad. He genuinely cares about his son and wants the best for him but he is also a crazy kung-fu murderhobo and so his idea of what is best for his son is not always what is actually best for his son.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Carlosologist posted:

one moment I truly enjoy from this post DBZ era is the fact that Freeza becomes his strongest by turning gold, much like his greatest enemy. it must have killed him when he discovered it

I think the actual canonical explaining is that he actually determined the color himself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Who would people want to replace her as Goku's Japan voice actor/actress that wouldn't basically completely change the feel and tone of the character? I mean I can't say I wouldn't enjoy Koyasu's take on Goku but it probably wouldn't really fit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It seems a little weird to argue that saying they could do better than a badly animated episode of an anime is claiming to be in the top 10. Darko certainly can turn something better out. A lot of people probably can, especially if they're not working on weekly anime conditions, including probably the people on-staff there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Goku's one major flaw isn't that he isn't the best dad.

His one major flaw (and this is honestly repeatedly emphasized) is that he is a giant kid who loves to fight more than anything else. This doesn't mean he doesn't love his family or doesn't care about people or whatever. It just means that he'll put a chance to fight and train and better himself over almost anything else that doesn't feel like a pressing concern and he seems to genuinely have a hard to grasping that not everyone feels that way. It's also part of what is supposed to be unnerving about him going Super Saiyan because at long last he's actually seriously angry and unhappy to a degree where his eyeset changes to that of a villain.

It's why Battle of the Gods totally made sense as a plot point for him because he achieves a new more powerful form and he's spending the entire fight quietly sulking over the fact that he couldn't do this himself despite the fact he's fighting the most powerful creature in existence for the fate of the planet. And he does it but he doesn't want to do it because it's a serious fight he had to 'cheat' to get instead of one he achieves himself. He genuinely enjoys both training and pressing other people to train which is why PIccolo (and later Vegeta) are his rivals because they are the exact right mindset to go up against that because they both push him to train and in turn are pushed by him to train harder.

And this flaw causes him to make dumb mistakes because he does view the world in terms of "I want to fight the strong guy" until poo poo gets really really bad.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Dec 31, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Parrotine posted:

What I'm wondering is what Toriyama's gonna do once the RoF arc is done. From what I've read it's almost closing up ya?

He is two chapters in to the Champa Arc; he's either gonna have to step up his output or the anime will need to take a break, that's way too close for Toei comfort

The manga is just to promote the anime and the anime can go beyond it without any trouble.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

[quote="Baal" post="454711823"]
I could talk to you forever about how much I love the Buu Saga and how I think Buu is a well crafted invincible villain and works really well as the cap to DBZ and everything,

and you'd still be wrong

But what if he's right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SexyBrianPuppet posted:

Piccolo using kaio-ken sounds dumb. Piccolo is too cool to rely on Goku's superpower sloppy seconds to stay relevant, and should only get unique Namek powerups.

Relying on sloppy superpower seconds is a time-honored Dragonball tradition. Goku's iconic moves are all something someone else came up with.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

didn't gohan have some signature move as a kid that he forgot post frieza?

I wanna say it's called masenko or something, and I could swear he uses it more than once

Masenko is a Piccolo technique (thus the name.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Spirit Bomb isn't what brought him back to life. He was reborn from the wish Goku made as Buu died.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DB seems to stick real real hard to the idea that if you're not actively interested in training you're not going to be fighting at any sort of high level. With RoF we basically can see that Frieza was fighting at like a loving iota of his maximum power level because he was abnormally strong by default and it just so happened that iota was infinitely stronger than everything else he normally encountered.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Goten is weird because for all intents and purposes he is an absurdly powerful character. Young Gohan was considered exceptional when his ragefits hit a few thousand and Goten is going Super Saiyan as a toddler but I guess he doesn't count as having immense hidden potential or something.

He's the crap son.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elfgames posted:

Super saiyan is a power multiplier so if he wasn't very strong he still might night have had the power of mad gohan.

At least Android 18 seemed to consider him and Trunks a threat when they were fighting her so they're presumably at least they're somewhere above SSJ Vegeta's level at that time considering how effortlessly Android 18 trumped him

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I thought Goten's whole deal was that Goku and Chi-Chi were trying to give him a normal-ish childhood after all the poo poo Gohan ended up going through. Am I off-base?

Goku was dead for literally all of Goten's childhood. Chi-Chi apparently was willing to train him in martial arts unlike Gohan who she tried to keep studious.

I don't think they ever explained it but I guess when your husband is murdered by an evil bug monster and your son almost dies to it you decide that knowing how to defend yourself is a lot more important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Unlucky posted:

chi chi is the worst part of this show by a mile

let's just keep having the same scene over and over where she acts like a super annoying hyper japanese old woman and everyone pretends to be scared out of deference or whatever then immediately does exactly the opposite of whatever she was complaining about and then she pretends she scored some kind of victory to convince herself she isn't entirely irrelevant

also if gohan never gets his poo poo together she is basically to blame for it

Gohan has his poo poo together in every way that isn't fighting space monsters and is still in the top percentage of space monster fighters.

• Locked thread