Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Broly is a super serious villain you guys.

Just ignore his entire motivation for hating the protagonist.

Brolly motivation is the best thing about the character because it is Toriyamasque in how petty and ridiculous it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Brolly motivation is the best thing about the character because it is Toriyamasque in how petty and ridiculous it is.

I completely agree with you, I just laugh at how broly is used as an example of "super serious."

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Broly rules when you are 14 and watching it in a tiny QuickTime window. The soundtrack supports this experience.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Aurora posted:

Might I suggest you watch something else?

This and posts like it are really dumb. Sure 'real dragon ball' is the goofy poo poo they did in the pilaf/red ribbon/Buu saga, but there was a period where it was a lot more serious in tone. And Funimation/English dubs really did market the show as being bad rear end. No one in my middle school liked DB because it was goofy and funny. We had nick toons for that. Kids wanted to watch Goku punch people.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I keep getting fooled by Hulu and start to watch an episode of Dragonball but oops it's the Japanese dub aka garbage

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The Faulconer soundtrack is hot garbage clown music

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

facebook jihad posted:

This and posts like it are really dumb. Sure 'real dragon ball' is the goofy poo poo they did in the pilaf/red ribbon/Buu saga, but there was a period where it was a lot more serious in tone. And Funimation/English dubs really did market the show as being bad rear end. No one in my middle school liked DB because it was goofy and funny. We had nick toons for that. Kids wanted to watch Goku punch people.

z was goofy as gently caress and Goku punched a OT of people in ball

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

facebook jihad posted:

There's goofy stuff in every arc. Like you can point at Namek and how Frieza is so scary but it's bookended by Frieza's primary villain squad being the freaking Ginyu Force. Especially with the anime taken into account there's also tons of silly filler in-between (or even during, like Bulma vs the GInyufrog) dramatic fights.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

There's goofy stuff in every arc. Like you can point at Namek and how Frieza is so scary but it's bookended by Frieza's primary villain squad being the freaking Ginyu Force. Especially with the anime taken into account there's also tons of silly filler in-between (or even during, like Bulma vs the GInyufrog) dramatic fights.

Recoome also broke Gohan's neck and Guldo was about to impale Krillin and Gohan like a kabob. I admit that there's a lot of goofy stuff in the series but if you think DBZ got popular because of Bulma switching bodies with a frog you are kidding yourself.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yeah the wackiness and the brutality are usually pretty blended all the way through. However, it is not a crime to prefer one or the other!!!

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Like just watch those old toonami ads for DBZ and tell me how goofy the show looks through that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The Secon arc of dragonball has a fake out with Master Roshi seemingly killing Goku. The tone change people pretends happened didn't really.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I will not have anyone poo poo talking faulconer's music because it gave me cell's fresh beats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpkeAQG6kQw

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

facebook jihad posted:

Recoome also broke Gohan's neck and Guldo was about to impale Krillin and Gohan like a kabob. I admit that there's a lot of goofy stuff in the series but if you think DBZ got popular because of Bulma switching bodies with a frog you are kidding yourself.

Yes, and Dragonball features both Krillin winning a fight because he doesn't have a nose and Krillin getting his neck broken by an assassin. The series having moments of brutality doesn't mean it isn't full of goofiness too.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

facebook jihad posted:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I won't stand for it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So I'm sitting down now

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, and Dragonball features both Krillin winning a fight because he doesn't have a nose and Krillin getting his neck broken by an assassin. The series having moments of brutality doesn't mean it isn't full of goofiness too.

It's more an argument against bringing up the Ginyu Squad making the entire Frieza arc nonserious. They're pretty much the only comedic relief in the Namek Saga (outside of Bulma filler I guess) and even then they weren't exactly Team Rocket.

It's definitely the "stakes" that attracted kids to Dragonball, especially compared to any other cartoon airing at the time. Even the concept of things carrying over from the previous episodes was novel at the time. Kids would lose their poo poo if James murdered Pikachu, even if he came back 20 episodes later.

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 21, 2015

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

mycot posted:

It's more an argument against bringing up the Ginyu Squad making the entire Frieza arc nonserious. They're pretty much the only comedic relief in the Namek Saga (outside of Bulma filler I guess) and even then they weren't exactly Team Rocket.

They were "first 3 appearances Team Rocket".

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
I like Super (inconsistencies aside) and like the silly db humor but lets not pretend most of us didnt get into DBZ cause of dudes beating the poo poo out of each other and overly dramatic speeches and screaming etc.

If super moved slightly in that direction it wouldnt really be a bad thing imo.

I feel like you guys try to overcorrect too much sometimes. Like, I feel like the only reason Broly is so reviled by some people is because they dont wanna be seen as "that kind" of dragon ball fan

the culminator fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 21, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mycot posted:

Zarbon wasn't exactly Captain Serious either and he was basically the only other major villain before them. I guess there's Dodoria who barely was characterized before getting Vegeta'd.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

the culminator posted:

I feel like you guys try to overcorrect too much sometimes. Like, I feel like the only reason Broly is so reviled by some people is because they dont wanna be seen as "that kind" of dragon ball fan

To be fair, it's really hard to mistake Them for Us. I mean They aren't really "people" so to speak, more a seemingly intelligent mold.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Zarbon wasn't exactly Captain Serious either and he was basically the only other major villain before them. I guess there's Dodoria who barely was characterized before getting Vegeta'd.

Dodoria barely did anything but one of the only things he did do was massacre innocent namekians onscreen.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

facebook jihad posted:

The Faulconer soundtrack is amazingly awesome clown music

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mycot posted:

Dodoria barely did anything but one of the only things he did do was massacre innocent namekians onscreen.

I think I'd take that as "this is very serious" if Dragonball didn't play so fast and loose with mass killing but Beerus is a literal engine of genocide who kills entire planets when he's displeased and also a goofy cat-man.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Eh, Beerus doesn't actually kill anyone on screen while killing the Namekian villagers is actually pretty drawn out and bloody (and basically involves a child getting shot). Of course morally that would be ridiculous but narratively the tone is different. By your logic even something like Frieza killing Krillin or Cell killing 16 is lighthearted because Frieza and Cell already killed loads of people by that point (ultimately all death is cheap, but you know what I mean.)

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 21, 2015

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

facebook jihad posted:

you shut your mouth

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

mycot posted:

Eh, Beerus doesn't actually kill anyone on screen

All those people on those planets that blew up are fine, I'm sure

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I should clarify I'm one of those folks that isn't watching Super until a dub comes out. :v: Beerus in BOG came off as Cat Galactus, he's kind of a dick but he also needs to exist.

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 21, 2015

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The Ginyu force being kind of goofy was part of what made them kind of scary, Vegeta was still like "we are going to DIE they will SLAUGHTER US" while the Ginyu force is dancing around and treating it all as a big game

They're so casual about it that they're intimidating

I loved the Ginyus because they're like the perfect reps for the overall tone of DB stuff

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Aurora posted:

All those people on those planets that blew up are fine, I'm sure

It's okay, I can see their parachutes!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Brony and Beerus Dragonball are both good

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Except for Broccoli himself because his movies were super boring

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
I like beerus a lot better than broccoli but imo first movie fight scenes were cool

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

facebook jihad posted:

A perfect fit for a hot garbage clown show.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

It's not that they are stupid, it's that noone on their team can agree on anything unless handed down to them. They all have their own idea of what cool is.

and they're all wrong

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

I think I'd take that as "this is very serious" if Dragonball didn't play so fast and loose with mass killing but Beerus is a literal engine of genocide who kills entire planets when he's displeased and also a goofy cat-man.

With Beerus, you can at least make the argument that he's not really evil, per se; at least in the movies, he's more of a Shiva figure than space Hitler. Destroying is less something he does for fun or to settle grudges, and more just something he does, period.

Super decided to make him an overt dickhead, which I don't think really works as well, but the movies set him up pretty interestingly.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

LORD OF BUTT posted:

With Beerus, you can at least make the argument that he's not really evil, per se; at least in the movies, he's more of a Shiva figure than space Hitler. Destroying is less something he does for fun or to settle grudges, and more just something he does, period.

Super decided to make him an overt dickhead, which I don't think really works as well, but the movies set him up pretty interestingly.

I don't know the movies have him threatening to blow up earth if they don't give him good food and threatens to kill goku if he keeps speaking to him disrespectfully. He's always been a pretty big rear end in a top hat.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Monaghan posted:

I don't know the movies have him threatening to blow up earth if they don't give him good food and threatens to kill goku if he keeps speaking to him disrespectfully. He's always been a pretty big rear end in a top hat.

But there's an overtone that he's not really doing this stuff to be malicious, he's doing this stuff because it's what he is. Stuff like specifically menacing Vegeta is what pushes it over the line to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Beerus is essentially an rear end in a top hat pet cat that knocks over your drinks. It's just how he rolls.

Baal posted:

I will not have anyone poo poo talking faulconer's music because it gave me cell's fresh beats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpkeAQG6kQw

I refuse to believe there's a version of this show that does not have this theme.

• Locked thread