Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Carlosologist posted:

I wonder what turn Super will take in two weeks when the Battle of Gods recap ends

Well, the Dragonball wiki seems to be under the impression that we're launching straight into the RoF recap next. Not sure where they're pulling info from, but I've kinda resigned myself to the fact that we're going to hit episode 25 before we get full-on new story content. Which is disappointing, but I've been enjoying this version of BoG so its not a horrible tragedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Man, I wish that Heroes had story content other than short, unvoiced cutscenes. That, or that Super was just adapting Heroes content. I wanna see teenage Gotenks, SSJ3 Trunks/Vegeta/Everyone Else, SSJ4 Gohan, etc.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It used to be a big deal that one's body be preserved so that it could be wished back to life, and that got dropped hard.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
For better or for worse, Super is almost exactly like DB/Z. Episodes that are nothing but drawn out fights, the occasional weird/bad art, rehashes of things done before.

The negative backlash is from people who either a) have forgotten what it was like back then (or never watched the original) or b) are more accustomed to/prefer more limited run type stuff.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
GT is like the Star Wars prequels. Flawed...but the hate is exaggerated

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I am unironically really excited for a tournament arc. Tournaments in Dragonball are where all the B-list characters get to step up and do unique and cool poo poo against an opponent in their weight class.

EDIT: Unless it plays out like the Cell Games where its just a complete pretense...but I hope that's not the case.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 26, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

And even then Yamcha got jobbed.

As is his place in the universe

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So was the opening shot supposed to be a Two Towers reference?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Drowning Rabbit posted:

The jet fuel line? Yes.

Two Towers...not twin towers.

I was talking about the shot of muffled dialog from an older episode from outside a mountain.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

VanSandman posted:

I know what you're talking about. I think it was in the Super 13 movie originally, actually.

Ahh neat. It's been so long since I've watched the actual movies.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Working on this week's Super...and I'm really not liking Chi-chi's gimmick much any more...I could tolerate her screeching about how Gohan needs to be a scholar instead of a fighter back in Z because that was her kid...and I can even deal with her harping on Goku, since, yeah, apparently he's supposed to be the breadwinner for the family...but her showing up and trying to parent Pan for Gohan just makes me not like the character. Its supposed to be all a big joke "ha ha Chi-chi doesn't like people being professional fighters"...but its just not funny.

EDIT: Wow...it gets even worse! Seriously, she's going to more or less kidnap Pan because she doesn't like Gohan's parenting style.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 2, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

to be fair, i'd react like that if i saw my son dressed up as a creep sparring with some weak dude while Pan's up in the air. But yeah, her not even asking Videl's opinion was pretty bad, and the ending of the episode left a bad taste with her character.

The Great Saiyaman is not a creep!!

But yeah...Videl makes it really clear that the mock fighting over Pan's affections is just something that Dad and Grandpa do, and Pan is plainly just loving it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Neo_Crimson posted:

The "joke" behind Chi-Chi is that she's an overly-controlling tiger mom. That's one thing that's been consistent since the beginning of Z.

Yeah, but it stops being funny and goes straight into "sad and troublesome" when she's meddling in the parenting of not-her-kid.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

A Steampunk Gent posted:

There literally has never been a good fan film and there never will be

This is not true.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Andrast posted:

Name one good fan film

There was that Mega Man one a few years back that was really solid; other than some janky CGI on the fully non-human Robot Masters. And then there was the POWER/RANGERS thing from a little while ago, that (opinions on treatment of the subject matter notwithstanding) was incredibly well done.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Raxivace posted:

I find them and that site really frustrating because they're incredibly knowledgeable about Dragon Ball and the history of the franchise, and yet at the same time they come off as kind of elitist about Dragon Ball of all things.

Yeah; and they're incredibly anti-dub. To the point of saying stuff like "well, we'd talk about the dub cast, but if you're listening to us, you obviously watch Dragonball subtitled" and talking down to dub-watchers directly on their forums.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Enourmo posted:

Speaking of DBZA, fully half of it is gone from youtube now. Guess toei doesn't wanna play nice this week.

Doesn't YouTube still do the thing where if people report a video for a copyright claim, it gets temporarily taken down?

Could just be disgruntled people, not Toei?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
When did Senzu beans go from being "here's a bunch of energy, like a bean full of food and rest" and switch over to being miraculous healing things?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

That's not even really what's going on with Tri though. Digimon Tri is basically just a 24 episode series broken up into the movies. Crunchyroll still shows them AS episodes, so they're not simply OVAs.

Which makes it hilarious and head scratching to me.

The "episodes" don't function as such though. They're clearly chunks of a movie with an OP and ED grafted on.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Farecoal posted:

lol if you listen to the awful japanese dub

Is it really a "dub" when it's the original recording in language of origin?

Also; I am unaware of any "awful" Japanese language track on Super.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

Technically it is a dub as no animation has natural sound.

Except, you know, the anguished cries of animators

But yeah it's semantic

Fair enough.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Baal posted:

It's the one with Masako Nozawa voicing the Son family

and Trunks voiced by Hiromi Tsuru

and Krillin voiced by Luffy's voice actor, mayumi tanaka? yeah, that's her i don't like her as luffy either

Unsho Ishizuka is a good mr. satan tho, even better than gouri imo rest his soul

Masako Nozawa is a perfectly fine voice actress.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Baal posted:

Yeah, when she's voicing Dr. Kureha and not grown rear end men and their grown rear end sons

She does a great job with Goku and Gohan.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

god this thread is retarded

Why are slurs necessary?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

StrifeHira posted:

Yeah, thought so.

Meanwhile, Dragon Ball Heroes does it yet again:

Well of course. You can't let the audience self-insert characters not play as the new forms!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bloodly posted:

I don't get it. Possibly because they're shaded the same colour as the paper in a pseudo black-and-white thing.

The eyes give it away; the stand-in saiyan boy and girl characters are using Super Saiyan God form.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
What's the copyright situation on DBZ Abridged, anyway? I know they have a disclaimer...but a disclaimer is not a magic get-out-of-infringement-free card. Parody is (rightfully) protected under Fair Use laws...but does that still get to apply when they're not just parodying material but straight up lifting footage wholesale?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Chris Cason (voice of Mr. Popo for a while) is a fan of DBZ:a and absolutely loves their version of Mr. Popo, and can do the 'pecking order' speech.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Covok posted:

I heard Cowboy Bebop is relatively unknown there.

That and I think the production team behind Bebop has endorsed the English dub as the definitive version of the show.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe someone in the production team is really concerned that people are going to somehow confuse Kid Trunks and Future Trunks and made the hair color different for that reason?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

So what's future mai's deal that makes her about the same age as Trunks? Bet she's another time traveling zombie :tinfoil:

In that timeline it looks like Pilaf and co never get returned to their proper ages. So Mai is actually like 80 years old, but she lived through her 8 to 20 year old phase twice over.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mogomra posted:

I've never heard of Crunchyroll. How does it work? I'll have to get yet another streaming subscription for my DBS now?

Crunchyroll has kinda become "the" name in streaming anime lately. They end up with a bunch of simulcast stuff (like JoJo, and now Dragon Ball) and have even branched out into a bit of tokusatsu and other live action things.

Generally speaking, you have to have a paid account to watch things day-of-release, but most stuff goes up to watch for free (with ads) a week later.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Crunchyroll uses their own inhouse translators, I think. But they are professionals.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I fell behind on Super and just watched the baseball episode today. Yamcha curled up in that pose at home plate make be actually laugh out loud. Say what you will about Super, the writers know what they're doing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So...is the tournament itself and the aftermath thereof only gonna be 10 episodes? Or did Super get more episodes added to its initial 100 count at some point?

EDIT: Upon doing my own digging...was that 100 episode count just pure speculation? I remember quite vividly hearing that Super was going to be 100 episodes when it first started...and now I'm seeing "135" or "no idea" in equal measure.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 21, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My only complaint about Universe 6 SSJs is that they had literally no concept of of what that even was until the Universe 6 vs 7 match. With the Saiyans from 7, you could at least argue that everyone had a template to follow, and most of them at least trained with someone who had already achieved SSJ before getting there themselves. The U6 people (and I'm including Cabba here) just kinda kickstart their own "super saiyan bargain sale" out of nowhere.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
That's something I wish DBZ would borrow from early JoJo. Hamon use required controlled breathing, so there's a whole host of ways to interfere with it.

Disallowing flight in the tournament of power is sorta like that...but everyone can still jump as far as they need to, apparently.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I dunno; it just feels way more rushed than any other SSJ moment. Trunks and Goten at least have the excuse of being blood descendants of super saiyans, who potentially could have seen the form a few times before (although, as you say, we don't know that for sure).

With the U6 Saiyans, it just feels like the writers wanted to just give them SSJ to serve the plot, not to serve their own characters. Hopefully we learn more about them, and it'll feel less like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Momomo posted:

Yeah they've certainly never done that before. Future Trunks turning Super Saiyan like13 chapters after Goku did wasn't a thing at all.

Yeah. But future trunks had some story behind that; losing Gohan to the androids and all.

• Locked thread