Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Baal posted:

The new Abridged Series episode was pretty flat for the most part too

I laughed at Cell's talking crotch and Goku's recount of the Frieza saga, but it's leaning a bit too far towards a straight adaptation for my tastes. The fight-heavy format doesn't really help, given DBZA has traditionally been really good at working with supporting characters, but it really should be aiming to be more than DBZ with more snarky one liners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Farecoal posted:

Goku has a good point why didn't Gohan turn super saiyan??

Because he was about 8 and the transformation hadn't been completely run into the ground yet

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kild posted:

Goten had no issue

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Because he was about 8 and the transformation hadn't been completely run into the ground yet

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Namtab posted:

Fusion isn't sexual you sadbrain

It's not sexual itself but Chi Chi being his wife-mother would still pretty weird

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, they're doing a tournament so there's a good chance at least one dude is gonna get some kind of punchhard power, if just so he can job and Goku/Vegeta can show off their even-stronger powerup by beating the guy who beat him.

Like how Piccolo powered up to fight Cell and Android 17.

Or like how Piccolo powered up to fight Frieza.

Or like how Piccolo powered up to fight Nappa.

... being Piccolo sucks.

If he's lucky he might even get to tie the laces of one of his shoes before he's outclassed by the other

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The final Super Saiyan form better just be his hair shifting through all the colours of the rainbow constantly.

Do it Kill la Kill Ragyo style and have it be all the colours at once

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

That was good.
Serious Sundowner vibes from Android 13. The good ol' days after Namek.

Huh that's exactly what I thought as well. Shame he went into Broly mode and lost all traces of his personality

Echoing everyone else, it's impressive how they made Goku being punched in the dick, an act which is intrinsically funny, even funnier. rip Goten

e: Probably a lame brit joke no one else would get, but it's funny how The Doctor's theme plays for Trunks as he draws his sword and then gets immediately trashed. No weapons indeed

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 1, 2015

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There literally has never been a good fan film and there never will be

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I stand corrected

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I read one of these power level maths discussions about JJBA once, it concluded that Star Platinum and The World punched at several times the speed of light with the force of several gigaton nuclear bombs, the author didn't seem to realise how stupid that was and how that self-evidently wasn't the case as each MUDA didn't level Northern Africa

I feel it's much the same attaching meaning to the numbers given out in the Frieza Saga, it's an action show and the protagonist is always going to rise to the level the story needs them to and the visual and narrative portrayal of events is far more important than whatever throwaway exposition is used to quantify their punching power

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Agoat posted:

Somebody took Battle of Gods and put the Bruce Falconer music on it. Some parts are really on point!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2Zmo4ZhIs4

Haha, Rock the Dragon comes in when Goku goes Super Saiyan at the end of the Beerus fight. This is a work of art

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

visceril posted:

It's this. We joke about Toriyama forgetting piccolo can do things, but it's because he makes up techniques on the fly that are uniquely suited to specific situations.

Need to hit a guy with a ki blast whose defenses are too strong for normal ones? Ki drill.

Need to a hit a guy whose too fast and overconfident? Beamspam and surround him.

He's the opposite of goku, who uses punches and kamehameha and then punches harder

On the other hand, the only person Piccolo ever managed to decisively beat was Goku and that was because he let him. Hellzone Grenande didn't work, his fusions were each made redundant after a few episodes, whereas Kamehameha has the highest kill-count of anything in the series.

Being smart sucks in Dragonball

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

Are all those attack names official? Did someone actually sit down and think up names for each and every attack someone has ever done? :psyduck:

If you go on the Dragonball wiki every attack anyone ever used no matter minoror incidental was it's own name and in-depth description, it's nuts. Hellzone Grenade was a really distinct and clever finisher though, so it earnt the right to have a proper official name

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Agoat posted:

Somebody took Battle of Gods and put the Bruce Falconer music on it. Some parts are really on point!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2Zmo4ZhIs4

Probably goes without saying but if anyone wants to watch this I'd do it soon, there's no way this isn't going to get taken down ASAP

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 19, 2015

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Probably goes without saying but if anyone wants to watch this I'd do it soon, there's no way this isn't going to get taken down ASAP

Huh, I take this back. On closer inspection this video has been up since July

Go figure

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Piccolo actually killed the main character of the show, something Freeza, Vegeta, and Beerus never did.

It really doesn't count when Goku's standing right there shouting DO IT

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Baal posted:

All of that was good in the first half then Gohan had to go super saiyan to beat a Zarbon level enemy and it just went down from there

I really don't know why they had to go out the way to say he's 'as strong as Zarbon' when Piccolo went toe-to-toe with second form Frieza years ago, I don't really care about power level maths but that was insanely stupid

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think it's just terrible someone would post an opinion in the discussion thread

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think it's better that Gohan gets jobbed on account of being retired for the best part of a decade than getting a free power boost from unlocking his 'potential' for the millionth time, it was really rubbish and unearned in the Buu Saga and there's no indictation he's picked the training back up since then

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

On the other hand, Pan will probably grow up with a father

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Baal posted:

I mean Gohan did too, soooooo

Goku died twice and spent most of the time inbetween in intensive care. The only time in the series they're ever together for any period of time is the Cell games

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Baal posted:

Okay so that just negates the four years Goku was there and that Goku at most was gone for like a year and then was there for him p much all Cell Saga and even for that year or two of training before the androids would show up and the year in the Time Chamber? This is ignoring Piccolo is also a father figure to him.

I think you're taking this a bit literally. I was just pointing out the main fighters do often die in DBZ and it seems Toriyama deliberately wrote Gohan as getting out of the game to go home and be a family man, which I kinda like

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kild posted:

Gohan died.

He got absorbed by Buu, which isn't really the same and got resolved inside the same arc

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Baal posted:

Kid Buu blew up the earth with him on it

Wasn't he on the Kai planet like five minutes later anyway? Ironic I guess, the one incident where Goku and Vegeta were the only survivors

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I meant the other one, looked it up and turns out every was dead then though. In any case being a hero is still very risky business and I don't think it's terrible writing that Gohan more or less walks away from it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Considering no one has ever won a battle in either form there's not alot of practical data to draw from :shrug:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

pik_d posted:

Are you not counting movies?

I was counting everything Toriyama was involved in, from what I've seen of the other films very few of them stick to his style of visual storytelling (Fusion Reborn being the somewhat honourable exception) and most of them read like fanfic written by teenage boys

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay I checked out the latest episode of Super and I take everything I said about Gohan's retirement, get to the frickin gym mate, you have a better account of yourself against Frieza when you were six :doh:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Weeeeelllll he kinda burned his hand blocking it.

I really like this scene because both parties were horrified for completely opposite reasons, Goku was obviously freaked out his heroic second wind counterattack didn't harm Frieza at all but Frieza was nearly as appalled that he was in full tryhard mode and an attack still hurt him; it was a clever way of showing how hideously outmatched Goku was without making him an impotent chump, Vegeta style

Blockhouse posted:

here's my usual reminder that broly's creator is in a weird cult about sharing energy through touching and the entire climax of the first broly movie is basically thinly veiled propaganda for it

lol

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I respect Toriyama for first and foremost trying to tell an exciting martial arts story with characters gaining strength in ways which make for good drama even if it ignores previously established plot points rather than having them powergame their training with stuff like constant Zenkais or spending their whole life in the Hyperbolic time chamber. He recognises plot devices should be in service of a good story rather than the other way round

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Baal posted:

Let me tell you how well told I felt the story was told when Freeza pulled a 100% mode out of his butt or when Cell explains how he came back from self-destructing and that not only used a zenkai to push him back into Perfect Form but also give his perfect form a super saiyan boost. This is ignoring his core cell apparently wasn't blown out of his skull when Goku vaporized his entire upper half.

It truly was exciting to also have Cell die like five seconds later so there was no point to any of that.

Uh, yes they were both good stories? Frieza's 100% form let him stay around long enough for Super Saiyan Goku to have an actual fight before he was finally defeated and Cell's Zenkai boost put the ball back in his court for the final high stakes beam struggle. The 'protagonist nearly beats the antagonist, but has victory snatched from them by an 11th hour powerup for a seemingly hopeless final bout' is the one of the most well-worn shounen storytelling tropes around, it's even practically identical to how the iconic Jotaro-Dio fight plays out in JJBA, or was Dio's max power form 'wasted' by his soul exploding five minutes later?

Kild posted:

I think it's cool to have established rules in your world that are used and abused by the characters and Author in interesting ways like in HxH.

It's a different way of doing things but it's never really appealed to me. In any case, it's interesting how the founders of the genre were alot more happy to play loosely with the rules of their worlds whereas modern series tend to have more hard-and-fast fleshed out power systems, I wonder if it's in part a reaction of younger mangakas to the percieved shortcomings of fighting in the older, iconic series like Dragonball?

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 14, 2015

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Covok posted:

Honestly, I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that, to my knowledge, a lot of the people who wrote things like Dragonball weren't nerds. Or, at least, weren't fans of these kinds of comics growing up. IIRC, Toriyama worked in marketing before doing a very successful comedy series called Dr. Slump. Afterwards, he decided to try his hands at what was supposed to be an 8 issue adventure series. Compare that to Oda who was a big fan of Dragonball growing up and wanted to make a big series like it.

It just feels like that difference in background can lead to a shift in priorities from "just have fun with the powers and have them serve the story" to "have fun with the powers, but have them rigidly defined."

Of course, both series are great which just shows both viewpoints work since what makes or breaks a comic series isn't, generally, this single factor.

Yeah, this is what I was trying to (politely) get at. Even if series like HunterXHunter do use internally consistent universes well, it seems like you're kinda missing the point of Dragonball if you're mad Goku didn't spend all day having Gohan kicking him in the dick until his power level was 9x10[1000000], that's never the tone the story went for

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 14, 2015

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Baal posted:

That's not even a little comparable. There is still a fight that happens after the power up and everything about the conclusion makes loving sense from a character and pacing perspective with the exception of the random bouts of flying. It is a well constructed fight that does not just have things happen for no reason and it is cool. Cell popping the gently caress up, negating everything that made that character even a little bit unique and then having a beam duel with Gohan is so loving boring. It's not even comparable to literally every other DBZ villain who doesn't have to do that at the end of their fights and all of those fights end in cool ways or with fun fights, at least.

Saying that you can just do things because it's dramatic is loving stupid. I don't even care about internal consistency in DBZ, because it's DBZ and my favorite part of the series is the Buu stuff, but it's not a well told story. Especially when Cell is just allowed to do things he shouldn't be able to when the crux of his character was always that he has to follow rules. It is boring if he just died at the self-destruction, yes, but it is just as equally tiresome for him to act like nothing happened and the drama to shift in his favor because Toriyama can't find an appropriate middle man like he could with literally every other villain.

Cell's central gimmick is having other peoples bullshit abilities and the climax is him abusing the poo poo out of his regeneration abilities alongside the Saiyans' Zenkai ability to reach peak cheesy powergame character form, it's not my favourite fight and I'd agree it doesn't hold a candle to Jotaro vs Dio but it's set up perfectly well by prior events and is a fitting conclusion to a villain who spends the entire arc grinding out humans for exp and boasting about his unbeatable mutli-class build. The only thing which is really an asspull is pinching Instant Transmission but all that really achieves is bringing Cell back to the arena, otherwise there's nothing which isn't set up by Cell's ridiculous swiss-army powerset and him being high on power

Also

Namtab posted:

I liked cell popping back up, btw, because it allowed Gohan's character arc to finish.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm looking forward to reading the Dragonball manga when I've finished my current backlog of books, experiencing the epic story of Goku and his friends without the glacial pacing and painful filler of the anime sounds like a real blast!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Featherweight Frieza, Smug Catbear, Piccolo, Child Sociopath Gohan and Zen Death Robot make quite a team huh?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I love how some little red guy no one's ever heard of gets priority over every single one of the human Z-Fighters. It's pretty nice Piccolo is actually getting decent billing again though, the power curve has been cruel to him in the past ...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Namtab posted:

I don't think we've ever had canon defined wrt buu's penis

Buu's penis is in the same place as Bender's

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Aurora posted:

All those people on those planets that blew up are fine, I'm sure

It's okay, I can see their parachutes!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

sharktamer posted:

The whole "Toriyama likes to subvert by having the arc villain look small and unassuming" thing kinda loses credence when Frieza ends up going super swole at the end anyway.

Not really. It's a recurring theme that when someone bulks up like that they're about to get immensely owned (see also: power weighted Cell, Ultra SSJ Trunks, SSJ3 Goku); it's a desperate last ditch effort to win by literally puffing themselves up and in Frieza's (and SSJ3 Goku's) case the fights end when it turns out they were burning through their reserves at unsustainable rates to keep it up. The 'slim and understated' rule actually holds pretty well when you look at characters at their peak in the narrative; Saiyan Saga Vegeta, Final Form Frieza, Super Perfect Cell, Kid Buu, there's a pretty consistent pattern

It's also why Broly's such a comically stupid character, he literally turned DBZ villain hubris into his superpower

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Baal posted:

Then why is it that when Vegeta went ape he nearly killed the main character and was pretty much unstoppable until someone did something about his tail?

That was also the last time the ability was ever seen, considering all everything past follows a broadly similar pattern I'd suggest Toriyama's ideas on how to visualise 'power' changed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Baal posted:

Also Freeza would've gotten owned regardless of him going buff or not, if anything he put up a better fight against Goku by going buff and Super Buu was legitimately the most powerful and threatening villain the series has had until RoF rolled around. The only person who got wrecked hard after going big was Cell and he was already fighting a losing battle at that point.

With Frieza I agree, that's why I said it was a desperate last ditch attempt to stay in the game and why it ended up with him burning himself out. Super Buu is an interesting one as his design communicates his personality and mental state moreso than his raw power. We see him change vastly as he absorbs and jettisons different people and his final, original form is the most dangerous not because of raw power but because he's lost any shred of humanity and reverted to a primordial avatar of destruction

And as I said, similar visual rules end up applying for the protagonists too, notably with USSJ Trunks and SSJ3 Goku's goofy tryhard forms; Cell flat out says to Trunks he hosed himself by going for muscle mass at the expense of agility and Goku burns through the rest of his day on Earth half hour after he goes SSJ3

Finally, the same visual themes continue into the new Toriyama-overseen BoG era, SSG Goku actively loses muscle mass when he gains the form and Beerus and Whis, the two most powerful beings in the universe have none to speak of. Again, I'd say it's a pretty consistent pattern

• Locked thread