Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
TP Perfect Cell's big gimmick is that he'll fusion dance with anyone and they will become... Perfect.

Perfect versions of themselves. Like Buso Renkin's Papillon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

it doesn't matter, the buu saga we have is fine unless you just really hate gohan's high school hijinks

Quite honestly, I've always wished for more high school hijinks with someone who can destroy the planet.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Kild posted:

gently caress Toei

Hey, funny story...

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

Hahaha you really don't get how dbz works

Good thing DBZ is over then.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

Don't be obtuse

Only when we can all be grown up.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Twiddy posted:

Buu is canonically less educated than Goku. That's actually kind of incredible.

Goku was taught by Roshi.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

No, let's all liveblog this thing and be miserable together.

Yes, ignore namtab, post about GT. Because we can't ever forget.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

The last 5 minutes of that were awful

There are certain moments in abridge series that I think hurts their rewatchability down the line and makes them a product of their time and they will not hold up to stand any test of time. These five minutes and the Rip van Winkle recharacterization might be the worst offenders in Hellsing Ultimate here, which is a tad of a shame. Then again, one of their earlier episodes had a short clip and mention of Adventure Time and while the joke was funny, I feel it'd hold better without showing us that part.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I think people tend to overestimate how dated pop culture gets. The jokes become dated but a well-done pop culture joke can be funny even if you don't recognize the reference. A big example of this is the old Looney Tunes cartoons where a reference to common stuff could just become something funny on its own. Obviously that doesn't apply to everything (and DBZA has some really lame pop culture references) but it isn't as instantly going to date something if it references a popular thing.

I mean, you are right, certain pop culture things do have a pretty decent life expectancy, it's just some things really don't work well with it. Like how so many movies and cartoons suddenly had a 360 spinning camera with slow motion and freeze frame just before it all collapses after Matrix did it that one time.

Not all things will stand the test of time and I don't think it's that hard to see what definitely will not last. And it is always better if you can guise it in so you don't have to know the source to find it funny.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

Caught episode 4 of GT tonight while watching the primaries:
  • Annoying robot friend continues to be annoying.

• Why are bulletproof characters bothering to dodge gunfire?

Oh man, if you don't find his antics charming, things are just going to get worse. I also found him annoying and they just keep going back to him.

As for dodging bullets, that kinda makes sense, rifles and guns still sting, even if they can't damage them. It's kind of like asking "why are you so afraid of wasps, you aren't even allergic".

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

It's not that hard.

People here just think of their own dads.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol you have a very weird definition of a bad dad, Jesus.

I think he means that some call Goku a bad dad, which to someone who suffered an abusive dad seems really inaccurate because Goku is a far better dad than they'd ever have and the badness of Goku is really negligible, which is arguably true.

You could instead say Goku isn't so much a bad dad as he is not a dad at all. If that makes sense.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I find it easier to watch GT is you keep in mind that Pan just wants to have an adventure like her granddad used to, including the difficulties and the stereotypes that go with it, Goku is just along to make Pan happy and Trunks is there as punishment for not training hard enough.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

But Goku's adventures weren't lame as gently caress and he also fought strong dudes and got strong. Pan didn't do that at all.

What Pan wants to do and what she does or how she understands the events around her is terribly lame and not as good as her grandpa. I only say it is slightly more bearable with that in mind, making no comments on that it is watchable still.

Condiv posted:

i don't remember goku being molested by a fawn
Goku verified other peoples gender by touching their genitals.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Vegeta also mentions it at the very end of the Dragonball manga and I believe even in the original anime when Bulma complains she is starting to show her age while Goku and Vegeta still look like they are in their prime.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I've honestly forgotten most of it, so it is pretty wild to read the synapses.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Powerlevels is an old man taking the piss out of westerners for caring about numbers to determine value.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Great episode. I laughed at the jokes.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

Is it really a joke if he just says it?

This is the joke he's referring to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZg_fRvqEks&t=69s

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Momomo posted:

More specifically it's a reference to this

Did you actually watch the video from the timestamp or just post your video thinking it be more correct or something?

Am I missing something?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

multijoe posted:

(If I recall correctly) the American version is an edit and the line is only actually said in the German dub, it's just such a funny and fitting line for that scene that it basically became fan-canon, leading to it being worked back into the US dub

Okay, weird. I thought it was funny because you don't normally say "poo poo" on children's cartoons back in the day and they let that one slip.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I hope this Frost guy becomes a friend guy we see a lot of.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

StrifeHira posted:

In Universe 7, Freeza's tyranny and megalomania inspired Maximum The Hormone's "F," listing all his crimes and senseless brutality, and those who serve under him.

In Universe 6, Frost's benevolent rule and fight-happy demeanor probably inspired some JAM Project-esque heroic song about him fighting the forces of evil with his version of the Ginyus.

One Punch Frost?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I was under the impression that Sean was a fan actually.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't be surprised if it was in some ancient SNES fighting game or something, where they list each fighters name, race and measurements.

I didn't realize it was possible, but they actually thought of a plot worse than GT's.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I know I was hoping the same thing.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

OPM is the next massively overhyped thing.

CharlestheHammer posted:

My statement is pretty blunt. I still like OPM as its pretty fun. Overhyped doesn't have to mean bad.
Usually we say "hyped", as "overhyped" means it is a Bad Thing™ getting too much unjust attention.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Attack on Titan had some particularly hilarious ones.

"Eh, nobody'll notice."

Re-rendering a scene where you accidentally used the old version is probably making everyone at Madhouse cry. I don't think any of these mistakes we show off are really a result of laziness as much as human errors where the cost to fix them don't justify just moving on.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

wielder posted:

I am not watching Dragon Ball Super either, but I suppose Toei is trying to do too many projects at once and that's what hurts the animation quality.

They should still have the opportunity to fix stuff for the physical releases and presumably Funimation or whoever licenses Super will pick up that version.

Well, that is kinda what they are doing, so it's all pretty great.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because he wins through manipulation, honestly outside his race he isn't much like F character wise at all. He is exactly what DBZ fans wanted and they still complain.

A twist is not a twist when it is played straight. A good Freeza would have been a twist on expectations, because up until the tournament we assumed all of universe 6 was going to be full of rear end in a top hat and hello, there it is.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

No he doesn't and the fact the fandom is obsessed with that idea is loving dumb.

Because gently caress fandom, that isn't going to entertain me?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I do have to say it's lame that the basic story beats of resurrection of F are repeated by Frosts fight.
Yeah, that was kinda why I was hoping why they would do something new, but I guess we can still see something interesting with the purple guy.

Namtab posted:

Goku is the main character, so he will win
Didn't he already lose?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Kild posted:

He will get his lost overturned because of the Frost cheating part. Beerus will argue for it since they're down a player anyway.

Our heroes, setting the rules and then cheating out on it. I guess I have to see the episode for how Frost was exactly cheating as I don't think the rules were that strict.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I do have to say it's lame that the basic story beats of resurrection of F are repeated by Frosts fight.

Okay I saw the episode now and I take back my earlier complaints. This was actually a twist and I'm still hyped for the future episodes, even if a little sad that we don't have a permanent Freeza VA on the show.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Goku's base Super Saiyan form is FAR above 17 though.

I imagine Frost is somewhere between 17 absorbed and Perfect Cell.

Where do we have a metric from on how he compares to 17? It's all sort of conjecture, but it kinda feels like growth after SSJ was a lot slower than before it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I don't remember Frost fighting Cell.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

sharktamer posted:

Yeah that's probably a Mr Satan fusion, everyone calm the gently caress down.

Good one. You're still going to hear people freak out about it when it comes out. Just grin and bear it like an adult.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

sharktamer posted:

Something tells me the super dragon may be a pervert.

It's a dragon with an affro and it'll turn out to be Hercule all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I suspect Beerus doesn't have any grasp of martial artistry in scales we're familiar with and the guy is strongest in that he can technically blow up planets by burping, but is a physically weak species.

• Locked thread