Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Aurora posted:

Head Chala is better than Rock the Dragon
It's about nostalgia damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Guys let's not let our opinions about Piccolo's awesome cape divide us.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

reignofevil posted:

I have recently started to want to see a world where Vegeta becomes stronger than Goku and so he re-dedicates his life to being smarter than Gohan.

"I'm going to DEFEAT YOU!... Kakarot's.... Son."
I think the funny part is that Vegeta's always been shown to be pretty smart, I could totally see him going blow for blow against Gohan in academics.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

Exactly. So if Real Frieza gets to do a thing, why shouldn't Fake Frieza?
Because Fake Freeza wasn't in the manga.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

HD DAD posted:

I forgot just how good the episode where Gohan just obliterates all the Cell Jrs is. Especially in the Japanese version where there's almost next to no music as he zips around being loving terrifying.
Word. Gohan going SS2 is definitely the highlight of the entire series for me.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Man there's a lot of people itt that need to rewatch original DBZ and not Kai.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

I think most people (who didn't grow up with Goku's JP voice) can agree that Goku's granny voice is really weird and really doesn't fit. Like I can understand the nostalgia factor playing in and stuff, but drat.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

It kind of amazes me that people think "Goku is a bad dad" is some kind of joke the internet collectively agreed on at some point when it's a loving plot point when Gohan fights Cell.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Namtab posted:

but then he turns out to have been right
I mean he was right in thinking Gohan could pound the bug man. He didn't understand what was holding Gohan back and what issues he was having at all though. He need Piccolo to help him with that. That's why Goku was presented as being wrong in the show.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Again, the "joke" that Goku is a bad dad and Piccolo is better at being a dad isn't a joke at all, it's literally what's said in the Gohan vs Cell fight. That's how it's presented. That's what happened. Goku didn't get his son at all, other people had to help Gohan unlock his power because Goku was helpless in understanding what his son was going through.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

Hell didn't they have to retcon in the excuse that Goku saw a glimpse of SSJ2 when they were training to make Goku seem less like a dickhead for throwing Gohan to the wolves?
I mean that isn't really a retcon (unless that wasn't in the manga, I don't actually remember). That's just what happened.

Let's not get overzealous in pointing out Goku's flaws.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

I know it didn't happen in the actual training session. We saw it, in the anime at least, after Goku's already having Gohan fight Cell. I always assumed it was an anime only thing, though if it was in the manga fair point.
I mean yeah but just because something isn't revealed until later doesn't mean that it's a retcon. It's also a technique for building suspense and mystery. See, every time a group of characters come up with a plan and it isn't revealed until the plan has already started.

That said...

Pureauthor posted:

Goku glimpsing SSJ2 in the RoSaT is indeed anime only.
You learn something new every day.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Namtab posted:

Anime only doesn't strictly mean non-canon
I mean yeah, it's more a curiosity that takes second place to Piccolo ragging on Goku for not understanding the first thing about his son.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Kild posted:

yeah its hosed up goku lets his son fight the guy that his son wanted to fight the whole time he spent in the time chamber and was stronger than
That isn't what I said. Strawmanning just reflects poorly on you.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah but eventually they will understand that Goku is a bad dad.
I mean it's not even about whether or not Goku is, objectively, a bad father (as that would be an argument that could go up in flames very fast), it's that the story calls him out on not understanding his son at all, and other characters have to bail him out of it. One is a really long ugly argument about what makes a good father or not (which everyone has an emotional opinion on), and the other is a thing that happens in the story.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Kild posted:

They call him a bad father / not understanding gohan when he literally spent a year with Gohan and all Gohan could talk about was how he wasn't gonna be useless anymore standing on the sidelines and wanted to kill cell himself.
So in your scenario where Goku did understand Gohan, why was the problem resolved by 16's head being thrown at Gohan and 16 giving a speech?

EDIT: That last bit was unnecessary, I'm really just trying to impress man, this is part of the canon here I hope this argument goes to die.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 31, 2015

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Kild posted:

Because Toriyama is a bad writer? He wanted tension and threw away the previous characterization to achieve it? Same reason Gohan can't even catch an earring.
Who cares if Toriyama is a bad writer ot not. All of this seems like it's desperately trying to ignore the conclusive fact that Goku was called on not understanding his son and by proxy, some bad parenting in the Cell Saga. I don't see why. Arguing with facts is a waste of everyone's time.

Kild posted:

He only gave him icecream and themeparks because he physicall assaulted him out of anger.
I'd say Vegita is definitely a worse parent.

Piccolo depends on how you count that initial training session where he transitioned from being an rear end in a top hat to trying to be a good guy.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Kild posted:

Just because he was called out on it doesn't mean its true.
Literally all you have to do is read the reaction panel/reaction shots when all that happens but I think I'm done. I literally just decided to comment on this for once because I thought I could inject some sense into this.

Covok posted:

If Beerus and Champa did the fusion dance, what would that be called?
There is nothing pretty that can come out of this.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Namtab posted:

But can you do better
I mean assuming we get some kyframing lectures with applicable shots we're getting something constructive out of this.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Covok posted:

How could you tell if they failed the fusion? If they came out fat, they'd look like Champa. If they came out too skinny, they'd look like Beerus.
I meant in terms of the name, obviously Beerus and his fusions can only ever be the most elegant man in the multiverse.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Onmi posted:

I posit that Goku is in fact Akira Toriyama, and thus hates Gohan.
Shut the gently caress up about bloodpacts!

... Nah that's actually a good post and I think gets across what Kild and I were arguing about without the unnecessary aggression.

Again, not even gonna try to get into whether or not Goku is objectively a bad dad.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 31, 2015

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Kild posted:

Who was being aggressive tho? :confused:
Let's just say on my part.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Covok posted:

I know everyone was talking about the SU song, I thought the P is for Priceless song at the end was a great "out-of-nowhere" joke/character establishment scene.
"E is for eccentric, just listen to my song."

I half-expected it to be silent like the Imperfect transformation and this was so much better.

Perfect Cell is gonna be a lot of fun for the next 9 episodes.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Kild posted:

They were suppose to be doing 1 episode a month since the beginning of this year IIRC. So yeah if they actually do the schedule they said it'll be done by end of 2016.
https://twitter.com/KaiserNeko/status/682645237118988292

So yeah this got cemented as a New Years resolution. And we all know how well those are kept.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Covok posted:

Well, the originally did Dead Zone as their first, ever abridged Dragonball show, but it was rough. Like, was in need of redoing rough.

The funny thing is, back then, they adamantly refused to do an abridged series of the actual show. Boy, did they change their minds.
They've come a really long way since old Dead Zone and World's Strongest.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Covok posted:

Yeah, it's pretty woefully unfunny if you look it up nowadays. Like, it used to be all "internet humor", but they've learned real humor since then.
There's some jokes I can imagine them rehashing in World's Strongest (with much better execution)... Okay I can only think of "all the people stronger than Roshi," but there's gotta be 1 or 2 others.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm fine with gohan not fighting since that is what he always wanted, but it's a bummer that he sucks so hard every time he tries. even when he shouldn't, like with how his fight with super buu ended
Yeah I'd personally like if Gohan was at least competent when he fought. Helps reinforce the underlying theme of "just because you're good at something doesn't mean you have to like it."

Which also helps the theme of "loving what you do helps" (Goku). Man, really would be stronger. Ah well.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

If you ask me, it makes more sense than Goku, who has always shown an attachment to freedom. He always sticks to training one person at a time (Gohan, then Uub) and has them live by his rules and not otherwise for it, so I can't imagine him actually teaching more people, or living in a secluded island doing nothing.
In the hypothetical scenario where Krillin has to train a new manga protagonist, I imagine Goku's the one he sends the kid to after the protag has to stop a new world ending threat.

This setup works eerily well.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

It's the most self defeating attack in history.
Look man your point still stands perfectly with the Spirit Bomb defeating a grand total of 1 villain at the very end, you don't have to fudge facts to make this point. And no, I'm not gonna count Omega Shenron. gently caress GT.

In that context, it's especially hilarious how Toei used it to finish just about every fight.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The Spirit Bomb does gently caress Vegeta up super bad too. Granted it doesn't kill him but it completely wipes him out and leaves him vulnerable enough that Krillin was going to finish him, that's got to count for a half or something
I mean the Spirit Bomb does things to a degree, but it's not the all-powerful finisher Toei made it out to be.

Speaking of, I love the Vegeta fight a lot. It's such a good "we are literally pulling out all the stops to finish this guy and we barely scrape by," filled with teamwork and momentum switches all over the place. It's probably the best constructed fight in DB, although other fights end up better just because of emotional resonance and intensity (Goku vs Freeza, Gohan vs Cell). Goku vs (chuckle) Junior is worthy of a strong mention for being a fantastic end to the original DB and the best constructed 1v1 fight.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Elfgames posted:

I just think Chi-Chi got all her tiger mom out with gohan, you're always way less strict on the second kid.
She got her super successful scholar son who's married to a pretty, well-respected and overall fantastic wife, who also happens to be the Strongest In The Universe (kinda, not really). Goten can afford to be a fuckup.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Covok posted:

In the end, humans will become so powerful and feared not even the gods of destruction could stand up to their combined might.
Unfortunately, considering that DB kinda shows that numbers don't mean squat compared to your fighting ability, I don't think this part of the plan will work.

Everything but that is aces though.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

RickVoid posted:

Honestly, describing Dragonball Z reads like someone's terrible fan-fiction follow-up.

"So in my story it turns out that Goku isn't actually human or a monkey-boy/god or something, he's actually a SPACE ALIEN! And so are Piccolo and Kami, and the Dragonballs are just something that their people can make! Also Goku and Chi Chi have a son despite Goku being an Alien, and their son is super strong and special! And then Goku's brother shows up, and his name is Radish and he tells Goku that his real name is Carrot, and they come from the planet Vegetable because LOL! And then he tells Goku that he was sent to Earth to kill everyone there so that the Vegetable Aliens can sell the planet, but he hit his head when he was little and that made him forget and also is why he's kind of retarded. Piccolo and Goku team up to fight him and then Piccolo kills them both!" Etc, etc, etc.

What I'm hearing about Revenge of F/Battle of the Gods/Super is not making things any better. Which is sad because Jako the Galactic Patrolman (sans the Bardock retcon at the end), shows that Toriyama can still do neat and interesting stories.
"So after winning a tournament Goku has to fight the devil but then the devil spits out an egg and he's really an alien but in order to fight the baby alien he has to be trained by the devil alien's good side."

This is really just Toriyama's writing style, it seems. I agree with Charles

CharlestheHammer posted:

There really isn't enough difference between Dragonball and Z to call one better.
It's an arbitrary split in a continuous story.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

I would like to remind you all that this whole shebang started as a severely truncated retelling of Journey to the West
I was actually trying to think at what point DB might seem like "fanfiction" and it probably is right after this point. Toriyama had just cleared his major overarching story arc and then had to come up something, and thus the rest of the series is pretty unconnected sudden story lines held together by an overarching theme based around martial arts.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Kild posted:

He joins Panties and runs into Tea dressed as Mao Zedong. After finding Invincible Old Man he accepts a marriage proposal from Boobies.
Bulma isn't Panties she's Bloomers get your Toriyama puns right.

I'm about to get owned by another "Japan got a loanword wrong" thing, aren't I?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

bobjr posted:

Are you making GBS threads me Buu?
Buu is canonically less educated than Goku. That's actually kind of incredible.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Rodyle posted:

Actually thinking about it I wouldn't cut any of them, the buildup with them each chiming in justified all of them.

I would definitely cut the KKK's intro in half though, too long, too on the nose.
Yeah the problem probably isn't the quantity of call outs, it's the length. I would say make it snappier, but in this case all I'd expect is shave off some so it's not a 5 minute joke.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

People here just think of their own dads.
Yeah I guess that's the thing, I can easily imagine someone with an actually abusive father looking at the "bad dad" stuff that gets thrown around and get annoyed.

At the same time, that person should probably learn eventually that there's layers and levels because people aren't gonna stop pointing out some of the bad parenting Goku does.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 3, 2016

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

visceril posted:

Strongest Z-fighter: Gohan*
Did Gohan even abuse senzu beans all that much when he trained. I'm recalling that's mostly on Goku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

"Sorry you won your case in a court of law, but our machines still took you down because they're dumb. No hard feelings, right?"

*I don't actually remember if the case was won in a court of law or if they and youtube came to an understanding, but it kind of amounts to the same thing when pointing out how trash the automated feature is.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 24, 2016

• Locked thread