Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The old thread was bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Because he was about 8 and the transformation hadn't been completely run into the ground yet

Goten had no issue

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, I've never really understood why almost every movie has Goku win with a Spirit Bomb, since it so rarely actually worked in the series.

Hell it never worked. Even against Kid Buu Goku had to get a senzu bean wish to finish him off.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

WRT to DBZ movies vs Other Anime Movies. Toonami used to show them all while I don't think any Naruto/Bleach/OnePiece movie or whatever has been broadcast on there.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Andrast posted:

Are we sure he isn't?

is the author m night?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://readms.com/r/dragon_ball_super/004/2939/1

Dont think anyone posted this.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Pyroi posted:

I say the dragons were just Beerus and Goku showing off, "Hey, look what I can do with my ki! Now I'm gonna make it dance!"

like making your pecs dance.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Covok posted:

Considering Superboy isn't actually his son and he has no kids, it's apples to oranges.

It'll probably be fine.

Superman has kids both with lois lane and wonder woman tho?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Covok posted:

I remember there being more in the anime. Did it really just smash cut like that in the manga?

Yeah the ending is basically completely changed in the Anime.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Baal posted:

Didn't they also introduce a rival for Hiei who ended up being a love interest too? That last part is weird as poo poo with how much it was trying to do.

He apprenticed his mom or some poo poo. Like Yusuke apprenticed his Dad and Kurama apprenticed his old thieving buddy.

e: Apparently not his mom.

Kild fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 29, 2015

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also the manga for YYH haas a really out of nowhere ending for the spirit world part which kind of made no sense considering the rest of the series.

With Koenma's dad?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Parrotine posted:

Those are some terrible panels, I thought Kubo was the king of nothingness but his predecessors have him beat. That second page is the biggest offender; what's with all the dinky punch explosions? Why is there so much unused grey space? It's so underwhelming, this is supposed to be the series ending climax battle? :confused:

He didn't want to do the final arc at all.

Baal posted:

Kubo can draw a whole lot of nothing, but he can be a really fantastic artist when he wants to be. Togashi is really bad, like it's amazing he's been drawing for so long and his art has never really improved.

Lol if you don't enjoy chickenscratch napkin sketches

e: His recent chapters art are regular quality though

Kild fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 29, 2015

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Amorphous Blob posted:

Goku is actually not swell, and he is a bad father.

Goku is not your dad.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

That was before Piccolo became a good dad. He gradually transformed into a good dad while training Gohan. Also, him throwing Gohan at the mountain in the assumption that he'd save himself with his hidden ability is basically exactly the same thing as Goku throwing Gohan at Cell in the assumption he would unlock his ability and not get killed by him.

Also, I didn't know Goku took Gohan fishing. Maybe that was just in the anime?

It was not. He spent a whole year being encouraging and fatherly to Gohan in the time chamber and then spent a whole week relaxing with his wife and son before dying to save the planet once again.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

tsob posted:

Bulma could probably SCIENCE! a planet in to exploding. Alternately she could also probably shrink a planet in to a capsule, carry the entire thing around in her handbag for however long and then plop it down in a new system to really gently caress with some people's heads. I wonder, would everyone be all right in there if she left an LED next to the capsule?

It's a pity all the combat in Dragonball comes down to punchmans, because one character using stupid sciencey poo poo to fight on par with the other guys would be fun.

THats the androids tho?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Esroc posted:

They seem to keep forgetting the "can't sense God ki" angle. Dende could sense it from the get go and the other z-fighters are all following what's going on just fine and even comment that they sense how strong Goku has gotten since attaining God ki. They've mentioned that it's not supposed to be able to be sensed, but then in the same episode someone will make a comment about how huge Beerus' or Goku's ki is.

In other words it's Toei, in true Toei fashion, not bothering to be consistent.

I don't think that's true. The only time I remember it being commented on was Gohan saying he thinks his dad is even stronger than Beerus when Beerus was just toying with Goku.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

sharktamer posted:

Did he technically believe that fish could have defeated Raditz?

Why wouldn't he.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

One thing that bugged me some about the Cell Saga is how Goku was only slightly weaker than Cell after choosing not to train anymore after the initial less than a day in the time chamber. If he had decided to train more, even if he didn't reach SSJ2 he still probably could have made enough of a difference to defeat Cell (he had more than a year left in the time chamber).
Its the way of DBZ, he has to know of a new level to reach it.

quote:

Actually, why didn't Vegeta/Trunks achieve the "full power super saiyan" thing prior to the Cell Games? They figured out what Goku/Gohan did after they came out of the chamber and then supposedly went back in themselves to train, so I'm surprised they didn't also train in the same way.
Vegeta is bullheaded and Trunks will follow his lead.

quote:

It was also kind of strange that Gohan, who should have been at least as strong as Goku in his SSJ1 form, was getting owned by Cell (whereas Goku could fight evenly with him until getting worn out). Then again, DBZ has never really cared much about consistency.
Gohan is stronger than Goku at that point. He just refuses to fight cus ??? Even though he did nothing but think of killing Cell for a year with his Dad.

quote:

Regarding Gohan getting owned, I like the scene where Piccolo is like "your son doesn't enjoy fighting like you and is scared right now" and then Goku has this look of utter terror at the huge mistake he has made. I like how they made it clear that what Goku did was really stupid and wrong, and how (at least) one of the Z fighters would have died before Gohan went SSJ2 if not for Satan throwing Android 16's head.
That's a bad scene because literally the previous chapters/episodes was just Gohan pushing himself to no longer be a burden and actually beat the evil bad guy. He wanted to fight then suddenly during that week of downtime he's like nah sorry I'm pacifist now.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kuroyama posted:

Wasn't it that Vegeta could have bulked up as much as Trunks did, but he realized that the costs outweighed the benefits?

It wasn't directly shown just that Trunks thinks Vegeta came to that conclusion much like Goku did.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

Not only that but it's established very early on that Gohan naturally holds back while fighting. He does it vs Nappa when Piccolo and Krillin are setting up for a group attack, it takes Piccolo dying for him to cut loose.

He didn't hold back there. He got scared.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

So one thing I read in the Wiki that I didn't notice in the movie is that apparently someone says Shisami (the guy who Piccolo is fighting and Gohan beats by going SSJ) was about as strong as peak Zarbon/Dodoria. So Piccolo was, at best, fighting evenly with Zarbon. SMH at Piccolo in that scene.

i think the correct answer to "who is stronger?" is always just "whoever Toriyama/the writer wants to win, "and since whoever is writing the recent movies + Super clearly wants Goku/Vegeta to win fights, they're usually the strongest.

The Zarbon guy presumably also trained for 9 months like Freiza.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

New Leaf posted:

Frieza was also concerned with training to reach a power level of 1.3 million, so take everything in that movie with a grain of salt.

in his base form which had like a power level of 300k or something

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

So 2.5 times as strong. Assuming his (old) 100% final form also went up 2.5x, he could...almost handle 17 or 18? Sound right?

Closer to handling Perfect Cell I think. Since SSJ2 is basically double the power of SSJ1.

Kild fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 16, 2015

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

We the viewers do obviously because the universe being murdered and replaced by a donut is hilarious.

This applies to most of the cast, especially in Z. Name one fight Goku won alone post-Dragonball.

Edit: I guess the dude who sucks energy?!

Goku vs the Ginyu squad. Goku vs Nappa. Goku vs Mecha Frieza.

e: Oh and Yakon. He would've beat Kid Buu too if he didn't let Vegeta get his turn.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Goku vs Ginyu: Two were taken out by Vegeta and Goku lost his body and had to be rescued by other people.
Goku vs Nappa: I guess it counts. Nappa took a pounding but it didn't slow him down.
Goku vs Mecha Frieza: Didn't happen. I guess techically it happened in another timeline but in another timeline Krillin beat Majin Buu so hey.
Goku vs Buu: Nah, he'd have gotten his face pushed in if not for Vegeta (plus Satan assist)

Vegeta and Future Trunks probably have the best solo record. Vegeta for his long-rear end killing spree on Namek + a few kills after and Trunks since he technically ganks two Androids, Cell, Frieza and King Cold without help.

Goku regained his body on his own and took out Ginyu. He wasn't really rescued.
Goku says he could have beat Buu but because he wasted time letting Vegeta get his licks in / have a go at it he couldn't anymore and had to rely on the Spirit Bomb.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Goku regained his body after Ginyu got his poo poo pushed in by other people. He'd have died otherwise.

Considering how weak Ginyu was in Goku's body was I think even Goku in Ginyu's hurt body could've beat him. And its not like they beat him up to get Goku's body back.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yes they did. That is in fact how Goku got so badly injured and why he needed to be healed.

At this point you're also arguing "Well, he probably COULD have won that fight" instead of "he did win that fight" which kind of defeats the point. Goku did not defeat Kid Buu or Ginyu on his own.

(Edit: Also, looking it up, I don't see where Goku says he could have beaten Kid Buu.)

Their goal was not to beat Ginyu up so badly he'd swap with Vegeta and have Goku toss himself in.

Namtab posted:

You're misremembering. What goku said was that he could have beaten fat buu but he wanted the kids to do it instead. Against kid buu he couldn't maintain ss3 so they had to go with the spirit bomb instead

Pretty sure he says it to Vegeta when he says he has to use the spirit bomb but I could be misremembering.

e: Also Kid Buu is weaker than Fat Buu.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://www.mangapanda.com/dragon-ball/511/13

It was Vegeta who said it not Goku. Woops.

e:

quote:

Vegeta: “Don’t hesitate for my sake, and finish him off! With that Super Saiyan 3, you should be able to completely wipe out Boo with your ki once you gather it with all your might…!”
Goku: “Ye…yeah…I’ve been thinking of doing that as well since awhile back, but…I haven’t gotten the chance.”
Vegeta: “Eh?”
Goku: “If I want to wipe him out, I gotta gather ki for about one minute.”
Vegeta: “One minute?!”
Goku: “Dammnit~~~If it was with the Potara, I could have done it in one blast. …..Cheh~~~I guess I went and showed off too much. But I thought things would go a little better than this…!”
Vegeta: “…S …So you weren’t thinking of me…”

Kild fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 17, 2015

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It was a dub thing they added upon googling it apparently.

Uh how could Vegito have wasted time...? He was showing off SSJ3 in front of Vegeta who asked him to.

That Fat Buu is also basically just the Kais he absorbed. The Kais increased Buus power but left him in the gentle fat form so the original Majin Buu should be stronger than Kid Buu.

Kild fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 17, 2015

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

He wasn't talking about Vegito at all outside mentioning how much stronger he was compared to himself. Even if Vegito took a whole year to get eaten it doesn't matter in that context. Time was not a factor in anything except Goku being SSJ3.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I think it was implied that even if Fat Buu technically has more power, Kid Buu is more dangerous due to the way he fights (wild/unpredictable attacks, you can't stall him for time, etc).

Hahaha, what? Does he mean this in a hypothetical "if I had more time as SSJ3" or just "if I wanted to"? Because if it's the latter that has to be one of the dumbest things Goku has done and directly resulted in Buu killing almost all his loved ones + the human race in the interim.

Yeah he said that and thats why he taught Goten + Trunks fusion and went SJJ3 for 2 minutes to burn up all his time.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Namtab posted:

He basically felt that people shouldn't be relying on a dead man to save the world, but that the next generation should be trained to do it instead. It basically would have worked if super buu hadn't become a thing.

or if his children werent so incompetent

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Asuron posted:

There's nothing to really say about Super. It's a pile of dogshit that's making GT look good.

lol

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Asuron posted:

It feels like you're projecting really hard here. I find it bad and stopped watching it and I see very little discussion on it anywhere. That's all

I mean I don't even really like Dragonball Z, it was Dragonball I liked the most. Why would I want to watch what is basically Z, except with no real excuse other than Toei was lazy and knew it would make money regardless of the quality? That's all I was saying mate.

you said its worse than GT

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Asuron posted:

I'm not sure what exactly you want me to say here? You already said it has bad pacing, bad animation and is still repeating content most people have already seen but done worse. What exactly makes it anything except bad?

Same but GT

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Asuron posted:

I wouldn't disagree. I just find Super worse because at least GT had some moments I enjoyed.

"Making up excuses". Gotcha.

What moments did you enjoy of GT?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

New Leaf posted:

Does anyone have a link to that new Super Manga? I wanted to take another look at it and I can't track it down now..

http://readms.com/r/dragon_ball_super/004/2939/1

?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

New Leaf posted:

No, the "other" one.. that may have shown up earlier than was intended.

http://imgur.com/a/m7og

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

New Leaf posted:

Not working unfortunately.. Possibly nuked?

Nah I typoed

http://imgur.com/a/m7ogG

• Locked thread