Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I forget which saga the US was on at the time, but there was some spanish channel included in my family's cable package that played the Buu saga late at night. I'd stay up and watch it despite only having a rudimentary grasp of spanish. They got all the way up to Majin Vegeta's first appearance before I got tired of trying to make sense of it.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

New Leaf posted:

I'm playing catch-up on the last 4 episodes - how exactly is Vegeta even keeping up with this fight? God Ki can't be sensed, unless he tapped into something during Goku's transformation and he's just keeping his mouth shut about it.

They seem to keep forgetting the "can't sense God ki" angle. Dende could sense it from the get go and the other z-fighters are all following what's going on just fine and even comment that they sense how strong Goku has gotten since attaining God ki. They've mentioned that it's not supposed to be able to be sensed, but then in the same episode someone will make a comment about how huge Beerus' or Goku's ki is.

In other words it's Toei, in true Toei fashion, not bothering to be consistent.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Wait, when did the hive-mind decide that Faulconer was terrible? The last two threads had everyone praising his score.

I can't keep up with trends anymore.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

How did he come out worse off? I thought he came out with that enhanced super saiyan form or whatever.

He focused all his training on strength and it made him too slow and unwieldy to actually fight, meaning he was only useful if the enemy was nice enough to stand perfectly still and take a punch to the face without fighting back.

At first Trunks was really proud of it. Then it's revealed Goku and Vegeta figured out how to do it too but weren't so dumb as to actually think it would be useful in battle.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

But what if Frieza trains for NINE months?

That was a sort of ridiculous plot point in RoF. If Freeza could surpass every DBZ enemy they'd ever faced and almost match Goku at his most powerful thus far after only a couple months of training then Freeza is simply broken as a character. A year of training would make him Whis levels of power. So by the logic of that movie Freeza is literally the most powerful being in existence, at least potentially.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Caros posted:

9/10 Vegeta's ignoring the player schtick simply involves him smugly turning to the side and refusing to fight. I believe the only time he does the extra attack is when an enemy is at low life and he wants to kill steal. If you don't power level him then Ginyu should be strong enough at the body swap that Vegeta can't do the KS.

Legend of the Super Saiyan (the SNES game) is full of crazy little exploits. You can beat the poo poo out of Radditz/Goku while the former is trapped in the full nelson and keep feeding Goku Zenkais. Do this enough and you can have him come back to earth well before the Saiyans with a base power level of something like 16,000. If you grind levels on Gohan and use a couple of items you can have great ape Gohan beat the ever loving poo poo out of Super Sayian vegeta in the post credits hidden boss. Good times.

Didn't that game have Super Saiyan Gohan, but no way to unlock him without a Gameshark/Action Replay?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

TFS has already stated outright that they aren't going to do anything beyond the Buu saga. No GT, no Battle of Gods, and no Resurrection F.

They have plenty of time to change their minds of course, but their excuse as explained by Laniraptor in one of his blogs is that the only reason Toei and Funimation haven't smacked the poo poo out of them with lawyers is because they are only using old footage that Toei doesn't really care about since they have new footage rolling out regularly, and they were able to convince Toei their series was helping to drive sales of the original series after the first episode cease and desist debacle back in the day.

Touching the new movies or Super would likely be considered by Toei as straight up piracy due to them being so new and still capable of bringing in revenue on their own.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

pik_d posted:

He'll eventually come up against someone that'll take him out, right? No Bojack in his timeline, would Android 13 exist? If so he'd be the end of Trunks. If not him then someone down the line would surely overpower Trunks.

What I'm saying is: Future Trunks is future dead.

I love the idea that he eventually gets pasted by Buu or any of the post-Cell movie or GT villains and the main timeline group never stops to think about this. Then there's the fact that it would be impossible to create a Super Saiyan God in his timeline, so even if he lucks out and beats Buu it all goes tits up when Beerus pays a visit.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's pretty likely Buu doesn't get released because Trunks doesn't gently caress around releasing energy, and Beerus has no reason to visit Earth without Goku there.

Yeah, Buu could be avoided. But Beerus doesn't travel to Earth to meet Goku. He travels specifically to seek out the Super Saiyan God that he learned about eons before. So he would've still traveled to Earth looking for it, if only because that was the last known location of any living Saiyans.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, they're doing a tournament so there's a good chance at least one dude is gonna get some kind of punchhard power, if just so he can job and Goku/Vegeta can show off their even-stronger powerup by beating the guy who beat him.

Like how Piccolo powered up to fight Cell and Android 17.

Or like how Piccolo powered up to fight Frieza.

Or like how Piccolo powered up to fight Nappa.

... being Piccolo sucks.

They'll almost certainly introduce a way to give God ki to other non-saiyan characters. God ki has too many special rules that require other users of God ki (or broken power potential like Freeza) to combat it . If they want to make the B and C teams relevant they have to give them God ki.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

the culminator posted:

I do like that from the buu saga on we've been semi avoiding power creep. Obviously the main characters and villains keep getting stronger, but Babidis mooks were all pretty weak and even Dabura was probably weaker than perfect Cell. Now we get the universe tournament and they could have easily gone the GT route and said "every one of these guys is stronger than kid buu!!". Instead, nah, our guys are pretty op.

They've also gone to great lengths to show that the power gap between Goku/Vegeta and the "God" characters isn't as severe as it may seem. As a Saiyan Beyond God they're already past the halfway point of matching Beerus in power, and SSjBlue bridges the gap even further. Even the jump from SSj3 to Based God wasn't nearly as massive as most of the other transformations throughout the franchise imply. So by the time Goku defeated Majin Buu he was already approaching the ceiling in terms of power and now he's just grasping for the top an inch at a time instead of in leaps and bounds like the previous series.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

I wonder how long it'll be before we meet The King of Everything's boss. Because this is Dragonball and you all know good and well Zeno won't be the top.

This show has gotten really good. Only complaint is that everything has been super low stakes so far. I guess it's pretty hard to top a cosmos ending schizophrenic putty monster, but I really hope they pull out a real big bad soon. Hopefully Goku's *wink wink nudge nudge* to Hit about Beerus and Champa being in charge "for now" is them setting up a real DBZ era story arc.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Mikedawson posted:

Do you think Bardock is in HFIL?

He's not dead. He gets wrapped up in time travel hijinks that take him all over the place.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

I miss the previous DBZ thread...

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Rutibex posted:

But Kid Buu is the strongest Buu, and Goku beat him on his own. That means Goku is the strongest.

Kid Buu is the weakest Buu. Even Fat Buu was stronger, though a less capable fighter making him less of a threat.

And SSj3 Gotenks being weaker than base form Vegeta is ridiculous. I don't expect him to be able to do much to Vegeta but a SSj3 should be able to at least get in a few solid hits. At this point they're going out of their way to invalidate every fighter not Goku and Vegeta even more than they already have been.

The power scaling has always been a bit nuts, but now they're just going the fanfic route with unstoppable almighty characters stronger than the strongest because reasons. At SSj3, Goku is already implied via context to have universe-ending power. You can't really go up from there, and yet they've now introduced multiple characters so far beyond SSj3 that it may as well be a Saibaman in comparison. And we're quickly entering GT territory with random characters showing up who are ludicrously more powerful than even Buu at the height of his strength. Freeza getting his power-boost I was able to stomach because training being the key to great strength is a running theme in the series plus it was well established that Freeza is weird mutant capable of increasing his power easily. But where the gently caress was Whis when Buu was threatening the Universe? Why did nobody hire Hit to kill Alt-Freeza? Why are the Kai's always so surprised by Goku's power when they know drat good and well that there are other universes with people that make him look like an insect?

The cats out of the bag, so no way to go back now, but they really shouldn't have upped the stakes as much as they did. It's removed all gravitas from the previous series because the entire time the gang was struggling against all-powerful space emperors, an amalgam bug monster, and an indestructible putty beast, Hit was chilling one universe over and could've wiped the floor with all of them simultaneously literally faster than the blink of an eye.

I demand cohesion in my silly punchmans anime's dammit.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 30, 2016

Esroc
May 31, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

And when Kid Goku was struggling to defeat the almighty King Piccolo, his brother was off in space and could have effortlessly killed both of them with one hand tied behind his back.

I'll grant you the other rebuttals, but at least when Raditz showed up the power difference was still believable. Raditz was stronger, but not Immortal Demi-God stronger so it made sense that Goku was able to surpass him. But Goku already had the power to undo existence as far back as the Buu Saga and they've now introduced characters that dwarf even that by an order of magnitude. Character strength has reached a point where it doesn't even make sense anymore.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Rutibex posted:

What exactly is the deal with Super Saiyan Gohan anyway? Like, he was fighting Super Buu in his base form after the Elder Kai "unlocked his power". If base form Gohan is stronger than Super Buu, is he now 50X stronger than he was in the Buu saga, seeing as he can transform into a Super Saiyan?

Elder Kai's power boost allegedly pushed him to his max potential, meaning going Super Saiyan wouldn't have done anything except burn energy since he was already at his ceiling. It could even be theorized that he was already at the line between Mortal and God while he was fighting Super Buu and that only God Ki could have surpassed his power at that time. But by the time of Freeza's resurrection that power boost had worn off and his lack of training made even Super Saiyan useless since 50X nothing is still nothing.

Which begs the question as to just how powerful Vegetto is in comparison now. He was the strongest character in the existence according Toriyama himself. But he didn't have God Ki which means, depending on how anal about canon you want to get, that Vegetto surpassed Gods in power using regular ki.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of all of you.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Aurora posted:

Yeah but Cell has regeneration and Dabura doesn't

Also Dabura could've won by spitting on buu

Fat Buu maybe. Because he's dumb. But the other Buu's would've been cognizant enough to make a splooge clone before the stone took over.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Burkion posted:

The question I always have is, was Dabura as powerful as normal Perfect Cell, or the SSJ2-style Cell that showed up after he exploded himself

Because if it's just normal Perfect Cell, then yeah, Buu would wreck his poo poo. Super Perfect Cell is a bit more dodgy- he'd be in Majin Vegeta's power scale at that point and could suicide attack Buu while surviving himself and growing stronger from it. In theory, Cell could grow more powerful the longer he fights Buu, assuming Buu doesn't either turn him into candy or destroy the one nucleolus that he needs to reform.

I'm also entirely of the mind that Gohan wasn't just a SSJ 2 when he murdered the gently caress out of Cell and the Cell Jrs. I always figured he just tapped into his true power that Old Kai unlocked for him.

The real kicker is that since Cell had Freeza DNA, and a lot of it considering his appearance, he must have also had Freeza's freakish power increasing ability. Combined with Zenkai and Super Saiyan transformations it stands to reason that Cell had the potential to become the most powerful being in existence. A few months of training, a couple suicide attacks and regeneration's, and Super Saiyan 3 would have made him Beerus level in a scary short amount of time.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Fuego Fish posted:

The animation seemed a lot... more good this episode. Was I imagining that?

No. We're just so used to craptacular animation now that when it isn't blatantly ms paint drawn it looks better in comparison.

If Black doesn't turn out to be Goten I will be mildly miffed. That would be such a great twist.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Any word yet on whether or not Xv2 is going to half-rear end player transformations like they did last time?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

It's amazing that all the D-listers of the group end up living pretty normal lives when each and every one of them has the power of Superman despite being painfully inadequate compared to Saiyans and the like.

Even Yamcha could end crime on their world in like a week, but instead they all get nine to fives.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Still loving that Super is animated like the worst episodes of DBZ, but for the entire series. Toei does not give a single gently caress. Then again, I am still watching it so jokes on me I guess.

SSj2 simply pushes their hair further upwards than it already was as an SSj, and this causes the different masses to separate further. Gohan is just the only one that gains a noticeably different appearance because his original SSj form back then wasn't straight up to begin with like Goku's. And Trunks did gain noticeable jagged edges to the tips of his hair when he went SSj2 that weren't present or not as noticeable when he was only SSj. But since it was all drawn like babby's first anime tracings it's kind of hard to tell.

I'm betting on Black being a body snatcher using an alternate Goku's body due to his innate natural strength. I find it unlikely he's actually an evil Goku. It also seems like they're pushing the arc fast, which means Black is probably not the real big bad or they just needed something to fill in the time before the next tournament and they came up with "Goku, but evil" because Aqua Vegeta was too boring. Also, totally called it that Goku would be a big bad at some point as soon as we all learned that the series was introducing a multiverse. I love being right.

I have never loved and hated a show in quite the same way as Super. It's like all the boring parts of DBZ, a heaping helping of GT's sensibilities, and the best parts of Dragon Ball all shoved into a blender with a garnish of shoestring budget. It's kind of magical in it's own way.

I will now proceed to wait excitedly for the next episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

dipwood posted:

I didn't care about DBS at all but I heard my boy Future Trunks was back so I caught up on it. Not sure what's up with the blue hair retcon or Mai but I am officially on board until Future Trunks leaves. Also, I hope he doesn't leave. As someone said earlier... everyone he cares about in the future is dead, why not just stay in the past?

He stated that there are still survivors on Earth in his timeline, even if very few of them. Trunks isn't the kind of guy to just leave'em for dead even if the planet is mostly a wasteland at this point. But considering they appear to be attempting to incorporate the branching realities from the games and movies into DB canon proper it stands to reason that he probably won't be going back to his timeline. By the end of this arc he'll likely be drafted into the Time Patrol. Or if they don't want to tie the games in directly and just want to allude to them without actually coupling their stories to the show, his fate will be left open-ended so fans can assume he gets drafted by the Time Patrol. Either way he's probably not going home.

• Locked thread