Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

They were, but never to the level of popularity they achieved in the rest of the world.

I don't think this is true. where are you getting this from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

every time they get together, someone tries to kill one or all of them

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

way I remember it, there was a big backlash against anime for years around the time naruto started airing on cartoon network. a lot of the kids that grew up on dragon ball decided that anime was bad/gross by high school. I know people that still don't consider dragon ball to be anime at all. so naruto was still big but it never had a chance to reach the same amount of people as dbz did

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sakura was pretty useless after sasori at least. she seriously does nothing after that until like the last fight

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the way naruto handles sakura is pretty different from how dbz handles its characters. even chichi is a better, more dignified character than sakura. at least her husband likes her

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there are some good moments in naruto post timeskip (shikamaru vs hidan for example) but a lot of it is lame and the ending is incredibly bad

another fun naruto example: tenten, that character you don't remember, has gotta be one of the most underused characters in shonen history. like drat girl, chiaotzu had a better run than you. remember when she picked up that super special fan thing and it was hinted that she'd do something, then never showed up again until the epilogue? that was cool

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's an alright impression. it does remind me of why they need a new va in the first place tho and that's a bummer

Momomo posted:

I'm struggling to wrap my head around a character being less dignified than Chichi. Surely this is an exaggeration, right? Right?

no. read the salad gaiden stuff

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Why what happened.

https://www.facebook.com/christopher.ayres.3/posts/10158952499650370

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

afros exist outside of dragon ball

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think people have put much thought into their internal rationalizations for why trunks and goten could go super saiyan. some people probably have ideas even dumber than back tingles, but they're their ideas and they make sense to them

adding that explanation was always gonna get this response I think. even if it were cabba teaching a dude, I really don't think people would like that stuff. just like caulifla would probably get detractors even if she went ss normally because she's a girl

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this episode was fun but I'm really excited for next week

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think gohan is gonna outlast vegeta, maybe even be the last man standing

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea but caulifla will probably be ok so it's fine

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tien has specifically called krillin stronger than him before

Burkion posted:

Also the reason why I think Gohan might be stronger than Vegeta now, is because he was able to hang with SSJB Goku. It took Goku going all out with Kaioken to win the fight.

Meanwhile Freezer came up even against Kaioken SSJBlue Goku

gohan kept asking him to go all out and when he did, goku instantly knocked him out

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

17 was also keeping pace with him in ssb, it doesn't mean anything. it's just their way of saying "hey no this guy isn't useless it's fine"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

toyotaro doesn't count

like y'all are acting like those fights were some kind of tiering process and that makes zero sense. roshi kicked the poo poo out of tien and fought base form goku evenly. now recall that goku also fought buu in base form and they were treated as pretty equal. is roshi about as strong as buu now? no, that's silly. hell, buu should be clowning on base goku as well. then you look at krillin's beam struggle with ssb goku; dude should have instantly evaporated to that, but since he wasn't I guess he's stronger than buu. if gohan is as strong as ssb goku, and piccolo was trashing him throughout their entire training process, does that mean piccolo is stronger than ssb ggoku? no, obviously not. these fights aren't there to show off that a character is as strong as goku or w/e; they're there to show that power levels aren't important for the tournament

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Covok posted:

Two possibilities: Cell repented and passed on (possible since he felt he was invincible and perfect but was defeated) or purely mechanical beings don't go to Otherworld. I mean, has anyone seen Android 16?

cell wasn't purely mechanical. 16 and 20 were full robots but that's it

e: or maybe it was 19, I forget which one had gero's brain jar and which was the fat guy

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 16, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

I mean, hell, SHIN is as strong as Cell.

where are you getting this from

dabura was as strong as cell and shin was terrified of him

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you were born in universe 9 but moved to a different universe at some point, were you still deleted when zeno erased u9

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

look I know that there are some bad posts from time to time but shutting the thread for 3 days isn't the answer

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if it's anything like xenoverse 1, the trunks va is recording his lines in a tin can. his audio quality was awful in that game

it also had no voice direction at all

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Momomo posted:

Of all the things to keep, they decide that's the most important? Why is this arc doomed to have such a terrible ending.

that part is probably mandated to happen because it sets other stuff up

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well too bad because that joke is in both the anime and manga. it's a dumb, bad joke tho yea

can't all be winners I guess but this one goes a step beyond

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what power levels do is break scouters and make freeza's henchmen look like idiots

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

buu was ultimately defeated by a giant energy ball that's super effective against evil

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

fact of the matter is, up until super the stronger guy always won. you can argue buu didn't but really he lost to the entire planet earth plus whatever else was in that big dumb energy ball

do the numbers matter? no, not really. that and power bloat are good reasons for them to have disappeared after freeza went past 1 million. but you don't see a weaker guy beating a stronger guy by outsmarting him at any point after raditz died. super tries to get around that stuff by completely ignoring how strong anyone should be relative to anyone else, which is fine since it lets people like master roshi matter for once, but I can see why some it gives some turbonerds aneurysms

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

piccolo and the saiyans have for sure, but when does any human ever fight and win against someone even close to as strong as freeza in dbz, let alone goku at the end of namek

tien pushes cell into a hole but that doesn't count as him being stronger than goku on namek

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cell was completely unharmed by tien shooting his life at him. it just pushed him into a hole. it was a very deep hole, granted, but that's all that happened

Aurora posted:

I'm pretty sure they were leaving the humans out of it

the first post about it specified tien was def stronger and only yamcha might not have been

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I mean, they easily beat trunks but 18 took some time to fight vegeta and I really doubt vegeta was massively stronger than trunks at any point. they all got equally clowned on because the androids were just that much stronger

it's like when freeza trashed vegeta. it's not like it would have taken him less time to do the same to krillin or w/e

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

remember how piccolo's power level went up as he charged his special beam cannon against radditz? it's probably just ki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tien put all his skill points into knockback

• Locked thread