Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Darko posted:

It's a lot like pre-Z Dragon Ball, where only (kid) Goku did anything important. In Z, they let other people outshine him or progress past him consistently, with his main character standing being more about "we'll wait for Goku to show up to save the day" thing, even though he didn't do so, most of the time.

At least in Dragon Ball the rest of the crew would have something to show during tournaments. Hell, Bulma did more in DB than almost all of the GT cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Guldo's ability was actually extremely powerful and he was just really bad at using it (and hindered greatly by the fact that he was so out of shape, when his power literally requires holding his breath to function).

It probably also works better if you aren't fighting someone who can instantly tell where you are.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

Vegeta does have a thing where he can figure out how to do other peoples poo poo, especially Goku's if only so to keep up.

Yeah, he learned sensing regular Ki on his own after only hearing it was possible, in what - a couple of days at most?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

New Leaf posted:

Speaking of being able to pick up on things easily, in reading DB for the first time, I'm at one of the tournaments and everyone is just whipping out Kamehamehas like they're nothing. Even Tien gives it a whirl. Roshi is freaking out when he thinks Goku is going to try to block at Dodon Ray with a Kamehameha, and he's saying the Kamehameha will never work against certain people.. Did they just give up on that angle as time went on and make the Kamehameha the end-all-be-all of super attacks?

Roshi was freaking out, because he thought Krillin would try to block a trained Dodonpa with a Kamehameha that he has only just managed to copy. Basically this tournament is the third time we see that a beam attack fails to do poo poo against a stronger opponent (the first two instances being Goku's Kamehameha vs Tao and later the mirrored Tao's Dodonpa vs Goku).

-Fish- posted:

I thought he learned it after getting hit in the face with a Kaioken x10 Kamehameha?

I'm honestly not sure which is more impressive.

Notice how Vegeta takes a Kaioken x4 Kamehameha to the face and not only survives, but retains most of his strength. While at the same time Cui/Dodoria (who are supposed to be as strong/stronger than Vegeta on Earth) get one shot by Vegeta's weaker blast.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 5, 2015

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

It also literally never works,, it's hilarious.

It kind of, sort of worked in Vegeta's second fight with Zarbon in that it pissed off the latter and broke his armor I guess.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Wuxi posted:

Yamcha jobbed literally everywhere besides his very first fight.

He did pretty well with the invisible man, which was also kind of a tournament.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Petiso posted:

They purify the soul before reincarnating it, though. Vegeta actually asks Piccolo what will happen to his soul before his sacrifice and he says that. It's what happened to Buu's after all.

I don't know why he bothered asking, he died way back against Freeza, so he should know either way.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

Namekian elder said they upgraded the dragon balls in the Buu saga to have three wishes.

No, they upgraded the dragon so he could revive multiple people with one wish.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

MrFlibble posted:

Thanks, looks like ill go with them then.

Just be aware that the 3 in 1 versions are still being released.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Chickenfrogman posted:

Cell was holding back pretty significantly until Gohan went SSJ2. Broly probably is around or a little stronger then Perfect Cell, but he's definitely not even close to SSJ2 Gohan, maybe Super Perfect Cell.

Uh, Super Perfect Cell was significantly stronger than that, certainly at the level of SSJ2 Gohan, possibly even stronger. He managed to bring Gohan down with a simple ki blast, which was meant for killing Vegeta who was a total non-threat at this point.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

VJeff posted:

Darko's post touched on this better than I can - Gohan wasn't trying to block the attack, he was trying to jump on Vegeta, so Gohan got hosed up by it. Before that, Gohan seemed pretty confident that he could go evenly with Super Perfect Cell.

On the other hand Cell came back to the fight right away, so he was apparently pretty confident he could defeat Gohan as well. Additionally, once Gohan got blasted, he noted that Cell's power went up more than he thought.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 10, 2015

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Darko posted:

The Cell/Gohan question is pretty much answered in that a weakened Gohan still overpowered Cell's kamehameha once his dead dad convinced him to finally stop holding back. Gohan was holding back the entire time because he was scared of blowing up the planet himself, so that fight is really hard to gauge.

Gohan put basically his whole energy, since he reverted back to base after the duel ended (earlier when Cell apparently died, he only reverted back to regular SSJ), straight at a distracted Cell (who was faring much better during the duel). And it's not like we didn't see stronger people being defeated by a weaker person's ki blast (like Raditz).

Now that I think about it during the 23rd Tenkaichi, Piccolo suffered similar wounds after getting hit by his own beam, so at least this points that Cell and Gohan are much closer to each other in strength than some people think.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 10, 2015

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

The anime version really skews the relative power of Cell and Gohan in the latter's favour - after Gohan unleashes his energy, it takes like 5 episodes of him walking forward until Cell is killed, and there's the sideplot of the whole B-crew shooting at Cell's back, until Vegeta decides to turn SSJ and join as well. While in the manga, there's a quick shot of Vegeta shooting a useless ki blast at Cell's face (without turning SSJ), who turns attention, Gohan unleashes the Kamehameha and everything's over.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

VJeff posted:

Don't you mean the former's favor? :confused:

No, I was thinking about the scene where Gohan is slowly walking forward and Cell is looking scared for some reason, not bothering to do anything to powerup his Kamehameha.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Augus posted:

What's great about how DBZ handles power levels even if it makes no sense is that we get situations like Piccolo getting a single power up and suddenly being able to take on Cell and Android 17, which is fun and cool. More side characters need to get inexplicable power-ups that put them on par with the current villains, it will make the show more fun.

Or Piccolo deciding he can go to Namek and help in the fight against Freeza after dying to Nappa and then spending 3 whole days training/meditating on Kai's planet.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

When did Senzu beans go from being "here's a bunch of energy, like a bean full of food and rest" and switch over to being miraculous healing things?

After Goku's loss against Piccolo Sr.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Aurora posted:

Was Kid Buu actually stronger than Super Buu or was it just that Goku and Vegeta were both beaten up as gently caress and Kid Buu still posed enough of a threat?

Goku didn't want to fight Super Buu unless he fused with Vegeta, yet he was confident he would win against Kid Buu if he managed to get to 100%.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That's the worst Solar Flare image yet.

Also that episode was somehow worth the wait.

Anyone has a screencap? I'm on my phone so the online player is even worse than usual.
I didn't expect TFS to get the mileage out of #16 at this point of the show, so needless to say I'm looking forward to Cell Games.
Also Cell's song :allears:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The Spirit Bomb does gently caress Vegeta up super bad too. Granted it doesn't kill him but it completely wipes him out and leaves him vulnerable enough that Krillin was going to finish him, that's got to count for a half or something

It wasn't even the spirit bomb that made him leave, it was being crushed by a giant ape. He was actually still smacking around Krillin after the spirit bomb.

EDIT: And kicking Yajirobe I guess

mmkay fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 9, 2016

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Krillin was able to hurt Imperfect Cell, of course he got stronger.

This was filler, but it'd be retarded if Krillin would be weaker than Zarbon at this point of time. "Two beings stronger than Freeza will come in 3 years - well I guess I can't even beat one of his ridiculously weaker henchmen, but by golly I'll join the fight anyway"

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Cell is going to be very enjoyable to watch.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Goku punching Monaka reminds me of Chichi attacking Roshi in early DB.

Or Goku blasting the Old Kai in the face.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Dexo posted:

How much you believe that is up for debate and they'd probably lose in court if it Toei/Funi wanted to do it, but they probably have some agreement with Funi espeicially considering one of them was voicing characters in the Games and Resurrection F.
I know about Xenoverse, but who was being voiced by who in Resurrection F?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Covok posted:

In universe answer: Dragonballs tend to glow when they first come together, not subsequently.

Real answer: Toriyama forgot.

Wasn't the glowing anime only anyway? In which case Toriyama couldn't forget it.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Trunks is a super saiyan by default in the manga IIRC, the buildup to him transforming isn't a thing there.

Yea, he's sparring with an armless Gohan who's in his base form.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Dango Bango posted:

Wasn't the "calm SSJ" thing during the Cell Saga more about controlling the rage/aggression that comes with SSJ rather than ki?

Nah, when Goku shows USSJ to Gohan he mentions that it puts too much strain on the body (also going super buff slows him down too much), reckons the base SSJ has the best balance and wants to stick with that to get used to the stress.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Filler "otherworld" poo poo is also how we know that Yamcha is stronger than the Ginyu Force. Yes that is correct, Yamcha is powerful enough to easily destroy the Earth (if he wanted to):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Oj1Mv5aVY

It always seemed retarded to me how, after whole 3 days of training, they went from being chumped by Nappa to defeating Freeza's elite force. I guess Goku was just slacking off during his half year stay.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Rudoku posted:

He was only there for like 80 days. He wasted most of that year running the way. And Goku was weaker than them then. Goku had bigger gains during his 6 days in a spaceship.

Nah, it takes him 6 months to get to Kai.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I personally liked the Kaioken x3.5

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

No.

He has gone even further beyond.

Or you can just call it a Super Cooler 2.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Everytime people bring up hercules strength for db, they forget how mamy gimmicks went on those tournaments. Like most of the long range stuff like energy attacks, speed, and psychic stuff would knock him out of the ring ala chi chi.

Eh the 21st Tournament still had guys like Nam and whatever and only Roshi/Goku were using ki attacks, I'm sure he'd do well there. Even in the 22nd there was the Werewolf and Panput, or however you spell them so Hercule would've had at least a chance at qualifying.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

How the hell did we get Vegeta as the good guy? Nappa was far closer to being good.

Well after the Saiyan saga Nappa killed one of the good guys, while Vegeta killed 2 bad guys, so it's pretty clear which team he belonged to from the beginning.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Eopia posted:

His bodyguard got dunked on by Dabura who was directly stated to be at Cell's level, and what's the point of a bodyguard that's weaker than you?

To be fair during Gohan's fight, they did say Dabura was a bit stronger than that, but still shouldn't be a problem.
On the other hand Kaioshin wanted to gang up on Pui Pui (who assumed x10 gravity was formidable, basically Sayian saga stuff), who was slaughtered by base Vegeta. Kaioshin is a total scrub.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

This also works in reverse, as evidenced by the Parallel Mission where after you fight everyone else SSJ Goku, Gohan, and Goten Super-Kamehameha juggle you to death instantly

Thank God I was playing this game when Tien's soul ignored all Kamehamehas and you could one hit Blue Hurricane their stupid faces.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I forget how strong Kid Buu was at the time. Would Gohan have been able to beat him? I want to say yes, since the only two entities we had confirmed stronger than him were Super Buu and Vegito, but gently caress if I'm certain about anything in regards to Gohan's strength anymore.

Gohan was stronger than Super Buu, who's stronger than Kid Buu. Hell, Goku was stronger than Kid Buu and he reckoned if he had a chance at being at full power, he'd be able to kill it.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Brobot :allears:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

There was a verson of Superboy who got so angry he punched dimensions and altered time so Goku has some ways to go.

We already had Gotenks scream across dimensions back in Buu saga.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

It does. In the previous chapter, Trunks points out that his Time Machine is fixed to a certain amount of time that can't be changed to stop him from going into an alternate timeline, so the same amount of time passed in the present and future, unless I'm misunderstanding (it's a Mangastream translation, I wouldn't be surprised).

If that were the case, how did Cell manage to go back in time a year before Trunks first arrived?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

pik_d posted:

He's literally from a third timeline.

Yes? And yet that timeline's Cell still managed to go back in time further back than his Trunks did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

Well Roshi is straight up immortal and can only die by being murdered.

Nah, he retconned it away himself back in the Piccolo saga.

• Locked thread