Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

projecthalaxy posted:

E: did Pilaf ever have an army beyond Mai and Shu? Hes basically on team hero now, if only in a mascot capacity

I remember he had a horse once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

extra row of teeth posted:

Regarding the spoilers: if this was any other writing team coming up with the spoiler plot point I'd throw up my hands and say "gently caress it, this franchise has jumped the shark, I'm done", but the writing for Super has been insanely good for what it's working with so I'm eager to see how it plays out.

The thing about Dragonball is that its been in a state of suspension above the shark for more than 20 years at this point, at least since it turned out Goku is actually an alien, they can really do whatever the gently caress they want and noone will bat an eye.

Having said that, oh man, looking at reddit the salt over this twist makes the Dead Sea look like a fresh mountain spring.

There's just one fear lingering...I will be legit pissed if Frieza becomes part of the main cast and is New Vegeta. Then Old Vegeta will be demoted to Piccolo, and Piccolo will be demoted to, I dunno, Yamcha.

Personally I think Frieza won't get much more of a look in after this arc. Either he'll get erased from existence after pushing his luck one last time or he'll learn to leave well enough alone so long as his lot in the otherworld isn't so nightmarish.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Beerus isn't a much worse monster.

Beerus does his job, which to us is morally unjustifiable but he's also a literal God who is beyond the confines human morality. If he doesn't do it, he'll be killed and replaced by something or someone who will do it and perhaps more wantonly.

He's a dick about it at times, but he's not monster and we have no insight into why he has destroyed the planets he does, even though he appears aloof about it.

Yeah we do, he destroys planets because their food isn't good enough or they didn't give him the most comfortable pillow.

Lets not beat around the bush, Beerus is pretty much worse than Frieza, no amount of 'But Gods!' will change that. He's selfish and arbitrary in the extreme with next to no sense of temperance or self control, he exploits his immense power for personal gratification first and foremost. Heck, the series even shits on the idea that there is some kind of unknowable, divine reasoning for his destruction when Kibito Kai asks Old Kai if this is part a cycle where destruction begats creation and Old Kai is like 'Not really, he's just an rear end in a top hat'.

We tend to forget this because we've been treated to a lot of funny scenes of him lazing by the pool spinning straws in his mouth.

Anyway, its not really redemption, its more Frieza forgoing his endless quest for vengeance in favor some other selfish outcome that results in his story being put to rest permanently.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Could you imagine Vegeta feeling anything other than frothing hatred for Frieza, like, ever? If they do go into the Battle Royale I wouldn't be surprised if Vegeta goes into a blind rage, forgets that his entire loving universe is on the line, and just attacks Frieza instead.

Vegeta didn't show Berserker blood lust fury last time he fought Frieza, or even the time before that actually. If he knows Frieza can't pull any poo poo with getting instakilled himself, and knows that he'll just go straight back to hell at the end of the Tournament, and that everything, including the lives of his family, are on the line, why would he suddenly hulk out and go after Frieza?

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 21, 2017

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
While it would be a funny joke for obvious loser universes like the furry one I hope they don't make it that most of the universes, especially the important ones like Jiren's and Hit's, haven't been able to gather the requisite 10 warriors.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Burkion posted:

I know you're joking, but if they were as strong as Frost, they wouldn't need Frost.

Love of gently caress Frost, you're in the top ten most powerful beings of your universe. Why are you hiding in an alleyway in the rain

He effectively has the entire saiyan race on his tail and god knows who else.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Yeah like, we don't know if actually had the same power as Frieza on Namek. He could be comparatively much weaker, which would actually make sense since that would force him to play the good guy and get favorable press like he does since he couldn't just terrorize people openly like Frieza does to maintain authority.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I bet the writers find the Hyperbolic Time Chamber and even the Dragonballs themselves to be the biggest pains in the rear end to write around because of stuff like that.

For the chamber they should have just laid down some rules. Say you have to spend at least 24 real life hours in it and only two people can go in at a time, problem solved.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Probably true, nobody even thought of Old Kai's awakening thing until they mentioned it this episode. Now people are up in arms about this bloody, gaping plot hole all over the internet.

God its weird the way that a series as intrinsically ridiculous and light as Dragonball has a huge amount of fans tediously obsessed with the internal rigor of the universe. I guess if they didn't keep putting in stuff like power levels none of this would happen.

Or maybe it would anyway I don't know.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Carlosologist posted:

this was a really good episode, gotta love the idol universe; U9 being a shithole was interesting to see too

I actually felt bad for U9, everyone has this sense of terrified desperation as they can see their end inevitably marching towards them. They know they're hosed and even the angel can't deal with it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

New Leaf posted:

Did they make the rabbit super hero guy look exactly like Beerus on purpose? Why not pick a different color scheme?

I don't think its a stretch to assume they're basically the same species. Like somehow Beerus and Champa are brothers but ended up as GoDs of separate universes, so they might originally come from the Pride Trooper's one.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

New Leaf posted:

Beerus and Champa are cats. The other thing is a rabbit.

They're aliens, they look like each other and they aren't cats or rabbits.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Condiv posted:

maybe master roshi will try to perv on one of the girl angels and get annihilated by the gods

I think we all know its a setup for a joke either involving him perving on Kale and Caulifla and prompting them to go enraged Super Saiyan, especially Kale, or having him fight reverse Sailor Moon and be unable to do anything because of his old man boner until she transforms and he's like 'She's ugly now! I can concentrate again!' and he wins.

Of course in an ideal world he'd by erased from existence by that Nefertiti God of Destruction the second she sees him and Yamcha has to take his place at the last second but that's not going to happen.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

HitTheTargets posted:

Dragon Ball Super should do what Overwatch does: the main thing isn't actually canon, it's random fights for no reason. Any actual lore will be in short, easily ignored one-shots.

Overwatch sounds like the dumbest poo poo.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Brother Entropy posted:

it's cool actually

No sorry, when your story is too important to be sullied by the embarrassing 'game' part of your video game then you're a loving dork.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Aurora posted:

I'm mad that TF2 has flimsy justifications for its maps

TF2 is the way to go because they understand the intrinsic idiocy of making a plot for a multiplayer shooter. Overwatch fails to understand that.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

PMush Perfect posted:

Caulifla is everything I've ever dreamed of in a female Saiyan, and I can't wait to see all the nerd tears about her being Too Strong and a Mary Sue.

She seems way too tough to be considered a Mary Sue.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I did like Cabba's feeble attempt to do it the old fashioned way and make Caulifla super mad, but he just can't nut up and do it properly.

Honestly nothing about Super Saiyan makes any sense. At the very least you'd think that the race of alien super warriors who presumably trained themselves to the gills and constantly put themselves and their friends in extreme danger would have produced tons of Super Saiyans between the original one and Goku. And then you have 8 year olds going SSJ seemingly because they tripped and stubbed their toe.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Nessus posted:

The Saiyans actually didn't train themselves, or at least didn't do formal training at length; I mean, I assume they did some ki shot practice and so forth. But most of the ones in U7 just blew away planets by showing up and kicking rear end, and if the enemy was tough enough to survive that, they went ape.

Also most of them seemed like assholes a lot of the time.

How do you know? Like these are meant to be people who have a primal urge to gently caress poo poo up to the point that they blew up their own planet and continuously seek out stronger challenges. Even if they didn't hit the gym every weekend their lifestyle would have intrinsically demanded that they stay strong and have been its own training. Considering how easy the Super Saiyan transformation has been shown to be in the end it just seems ridiculous that there was none for like a thousand years before Goku.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Zinkraptor posted:

I assumed super Saiyan had some kind of power level floor before you could achieve it. Goku was basically already the strongest Saiyan when he fought Frieza before he transformed. Goten and Trunks could do it thanks to the bizarre power level "catch-up mechanic" that seems to exist, which let them somehow be far stronger than Frieza at age eight.

So like I said, it makes no sense, and never will.

That also reminds of another thing I found ridiculous, Goku becoming one of the most powerful beings in the universe after a single week of training on the gravity ship.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Rutibex posted:

Goku was using hax on that space trip. He would beat himself near to death with training then eat a senzu bean so he could keep training. He went through an entire bag.

It still tickles me pink that Vegeta gets himself smashed to the brink of death like 6 times on Namek, and even actually dies eventually, and yet with all those Zenkai boosts he can't hope to compete with Goku doing press ups in high gravity. And this was after he was obviously the stronger fighter on Earth and would have killed Goku if it wasn't for his friends intervening.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kild posted:

He was stronger than first arriving to Namek Goku. He just wasn't stronger than beat the gently caress up and healed in a tank Goku. And even if he was Goku had Kaioken.

No he wasn't, when Goku arrived on Namek Vegeta was getting a pounding off of Recoome who he couldn't hope to match, and in short order Goku easily defeats Recoome, Burter and Jeice like it was nothing.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Lupus Rufus posted:

lesbian super saiyans!!

Man, a few episodes ago I thought Kale was jealous of Caulifla and had the hots for Cabba but its the other way round lol.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
They'll probably throw in 18 so its not a complete sausage-fest.

BTW, the spoilers for episode 96 were released no mention of Freeza defecting by the looks of things contrary to those leaks HOWEVER, the episode prior looks like it will have some kind of twist wrt Freeza so a wrench in the works might still be a possibility.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
regarding the latest episode and the leaks leading up to it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JuK1Yr35Io

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
WHO CARES gently caress.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Looking at the reddit discussion of the new episode, I swear to god if I ever read the words 'Power Scaling' again....

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Watching the most recent dub episode, Bulma has a 'I don't want to talk about it...' reaction when Jaco, Trunks and Goten ask about Ginyu, does that mean him hijacking her body is canon?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Man, I enjoyed the Black arc in the anime a lot, despite the ending obviously, but this is just donkey-bonkers even by Dragonball standards.

I wonder what'll happen in the Tournament of Power when the manga gets there!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Something I find funny, if Frieza bothered his lazy rear end to put in a few rounds of training a week he would have been able to effortlessly crush any Super Saiyans that might have appeared before Namek. He could have kept the Saiyans around for a while longer in that case instead of worrying about the myth.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
New screens!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Frieza and Vegeta have the exact some pose and expression, but on opposite ends of the group.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I could watch another hundred episodes of Freeza trolling Vegeta.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm so excited for the tournament.

Please please please let Caulifla and 18 get halfway decent fights :pray:

Reading around youtube and reddit a looooooot of people want to see Caulifla get jobbed and humiliated immediately because of her trash talk in this episode.

She's just getting into battle mode :(

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
To be fair Vegeta has a reputation of being the series punching bag to build up other threats which might be part of why he's an arrogant loudmouth. And after his 'Teamwork, pfft, its only the fate of the entire universe!' attitude on display here a fair few people were saying they'd like to see him get clowned too.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Rutibex posted:

Universe 2s team was interesting. They seem to have three Sailor Scouts, and from the looks of it they also recruited Queen Beryl or some other type of Negaverse villain from sailor moon. The lady on the far right:

Big guy and old guy are giving me serious GT vibes, specifically Myuu and Rilldo. Wonder if that was intentional.

On another note its nice to see that they've started to put in a significant amount of female fighters among all of the universes. Finally, Dragonball gets with the times.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I know the two starting arcs are pretty lovely on the whole but they have lots of good character moments and in the current dub the dialogue is actually much better than I thought it would be, you can tell the actors and writers are having a lot of fun and it feels much more natural compared to Z.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Who wants to bet that Frost will turn to actually not be a giant rear end in a top hat and is stringing Frieza along to take him down at a moment of weakness because Frieza is waaaaay too evil for him?

I got a feeling that he'll get some kind of redemption since his last run-in with Hit.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
But, but what about Yamcha :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Based off of upcoming titles, who wants to guess that 18 is the first universe 7 fighter to be knocked out and that causes Krillin to go ape?

• Locked thread