Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I still have 'Great scientist Bardock' ingrained in my head from watching the old dub on Cartoonnetwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Thoughts:

-Holy gently caress, that universe erasure was kind of unsettling, especially the way the Supreme Kai was losing his poo poo, the GoD was holding a stiff upper lip, the Angel was suspiciously happy and the way the Zenos still have that childlike attitude towards killing billions like its deleting an old simcity save is p effed up.

-Vegeta actually doing a bit of teamwork, look like he's absorbed a bit of what Gohan was trying to say despite his attitude.

-Frieza my man, hahaha, terrorizing a fighter enough so they voluntarily jump off the side and then get erased, that was brilliant. And people wanted Buu instead.

-18 doing work off screen apparently. Also has sunglasses next episode, must be for Krillin's super solar flare.

-Shin being a clueless idiot is now openly acknowledged by all of his coworkers. Poor guy, at least they have him as an audience surrogate.

-Feel like there's a lot of cutting to the Kais and GoDs on the bench, wonder if that's to save on difficult fighting animation. Things picked up in the latter half of the episode.

-Grand priest is up to something, I hope the tournament ends prematurely as everyone there unites to end his reign of terror.

Overall, fun times.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

a cartoon duck posted:

I'm glad next episode will be centered around my favorite character, Fat Birdman.

Gotta wonder though how many more universes will get erased before the rest decide that hey, maybe we should do something about this. Preferably before Caulifla or Gowasu's GodTube account get erased.

Universes I can't live without:

-Super Sentai troopers.
-Hit and his super saiyans.
-Fat Sailor moon.

gently caress 'em.
-Roboverse (except the guy with the monocle and staff).
-Trio de furries (already gone though!)
-Rat bastard.
-Gowasu's daily vlogs, sorry Gowasu but your team are a boring bunch of jobbers, though it's probably not his fault.
-Might as well kill Goku and the gang since they started this whole thing.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I just realized something:

Krillin might actually get disqualified for bringing sunglasses, not for killing someone.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mordaedil posted:

Goku is going to get knocked out, who wants to bet on what Deus Ex Machina ruling gets him back into the fight?

Personally I think the best course the story could take is Goku getting knocked out by Jiren (or maybe both getting knocked out at the same time) in a way that seems slightly anticlimactic and then Gohan and some of the others have to find a way to win without him while Beerus screams at Goku on the sidelines.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mordaedil posted:

Super anime is good because it dares to give Goku flaws and development, and even had some really hype moments like when Trunks cuts Zamasu in loving half.

If it ended with that, I think everyone would say it's the best Dragon ball arc since King Piccolo.

Right? I still can't wrap my head around the fact they decided to have a rock fall on everyone and kill them after that.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Testekill posted:

I wonder how many fighters in the tournament are strong enough to keep up with a GoD fighting at about 50%. Goku, Vegeta, Toppo & Jiren are obvious ones, Hit could probably hang with them but I wonder who else could.

This is a bit random, but I'm hoping Ribrianne could, though she likely couldn't.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
In japan, what kind of audience would Super have?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Burkion posted:

Kids and adult nerds mostly

It airs super early in the morning opposite Pokemon and Super Sentai

So it is plainly a kids show?

Funny how the audience seems so different in the rest of the world.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

a cartoon duck posted:

Is it? I thought we all grew up watching Dragon Ball as kids here.

DBZ really seemed like something I shouldn't be watching when I was a kid, but I don't think many kids in America or Europe would be watching Super would they? Isn't it on late on Adult Swim normally?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I thought that Japan was pretty buttoned up about violence, but DBZ was far and away the most violent thing that was available to me as a kid in Ireland. Stuff like Frieza cutting himself in half or Videl getting the poo poo kicked out of her, nothing really compared.

Not to mention people dying constantly.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Manatee Cannon posted:

they censored the blood out but that was abut it. goku getting a hole punched through his chest and dying was still way more explicit than anything I can think of in a western cartoon. usually any real violence was against robots or aliens or w/e, like the pilot episode of samurai jack. compare that to the saiyan saga where nappa kills half the cast before being killed by vegeta

come to think of it, I can't think of any western examples of cartoons that get really bloody or kill people. usually the stuff aimed at an older audience are comedies, like adult swim's lineup

During the 90s there were a few more experimental shows on channels like MTV that could get a bit more violent. HBO had a Spawn TV show that was all blood and guts.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Nessus posted:

For myself I'd rather be talking about Naruto than "another website has users who have lovely opinions"

On the whole topic of God ki, has anyone else managed to crack it open? I actually was surprised when I watched earlier Super, because I expected the whole reason for Vegeta watching the Goku/Beerus tussle was so that he could just abruptly pop red and grin some time later. Maybe they decided against doing that.

I'm disgusted that people on SA are making fun of Reddit. When have we ever done that before?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

jivjov posted:

I dunno; it just feels way more rushed than any other SSJ moment. Trunks and Goten at least have the excuse of being blood descendants of super saiyans, who potentially could have seen the form a few times before (although, as you say, we don't know that for sure).

With the U6 Saiyans, it just feels like the writers wanted to just give them SSJ to serve the plot, not to serve their own characters. Hopefully we learn more about them, and it'll feel less like that.

What do you mean by serve the characters? Like Caulifla is pretty straightforward 'I want more power!' saiyan battle lust.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Crosspeice posted:

I'm glad we spent time on Krillin's development so he could get suddenly ringed out at the end of the third episode as a way to create forced tension. Nice.

Come on, Krillin's way far down the list of important characters at this point and he still did good work in this episode regardless. It would have been a million times worse if it was someone like Gohan.

Loved the way Krillin seemed to learn a thing or two from fighting Bacterian, also energy blast to prevent a ring out. Finally, I think all of the fighters who have natural flying abilities have been defeated so so much for that idea, idiots.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
People gotta go anyway, it was either him or Tien realistically at this point.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

lezard_valeth posted:

His humiliating defeat will be at the hands of Ribrianne because it's in the opening and also the best way to piss off reddit/the youtube comment section.

Man I seriously wanna see more of Ribrianne, I hope she's like the dark horse no one sees coming and can compete with Blue Vegeta. Though really I'm probably setting myself up for a disappointment and Roshi will take her down with a lame joke about how he doesn't like fat chicks.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Szmitten posted:

I wish that pairing lasted longer.

Hopefully we'll get some good 18/17 action a bit later.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

At the end of the day, Krillin is the second weakest guy there. He left the safety of the Gohan group to help 18 which left him exposed to the more powerful opponents like Frost. I think it makes sense that he got eliminated even if Krillin rules.

On the topic of Gohan it would be really cool if Gohan had to pull the tournament out of the bag because Goku gets too hyped up in a fight, uses his blue-kaio-ken combo thing, and gets too exhausted to continue. They've been kind of harping on the idea that Gohan is the only actually smart Saiyan for awhile and this tournament seems to be a lot more strategy based than the rest of the Super fights. Not gonna happen because Gohan doing jackshit is a staple of the series, but it'd be nice.

I honestly think this will happen, for one it seems as though Goku will start fighting Jiren in just a couple of episodes, so he'll probably expend all of his energy on defeating him, or might even get defeated by him, and be knocked out of the tourney due to dropping his guard again. Gohan seems to be taking this much more seriously and has gotten a lot of screentime and development over this arc so far, he's also not had any particular victory since the show began (unless Barry Kahn counts), or even going all the way back to the Cell saga thinking about it, so he's due for something.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Well the reason that is the case is because Japan loving hates Gohan for the sheer gall of maybe, potentially replacing Goku 25 years ago. Which is why I think he'll probably have one good moment but Goku, in the end, will be the one who prevails and wins the whole thing.

I'm not sure this is actually true, Gohan is a pretty popular character in Japan and while Toriyama was originally going to make him the main character during the Buu saga he switched it back to Goku not because of fan fury but because while writing Gohan then he felt as though he made more sense as a nerdy bookworm than a fighter.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

RealFoxy posted:

Gohan will not outlast Goku

Reminder that Goku has failed to beat the final bad guy in every single Super arc so far.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

RealFoxy posted:

I didn't say Goku would win the tournament, just not that Gohan is going to out-last Goku. Unless the final 3 for U7 will be Goku, Gohan, and Vegeta and Goku does something incredibly stupid to take out the strongest fighter of the Ginyu Force to try and open the win for Vegeta and Gohan.

If all of the pre-existing dragonball stuff was somehow excised from this arc... actually even with all the pre-existing dragonball stuff I would personally feel that from the way the story has been constructed so far it would be more satisfying and interesting if Gohan was the MVP at the end of the tournament. He's been slowly brought back into the show in a larger and larger way and he has more internal conflict compared to Goku and a partially finished arc that's gotten a lot of attention so far. Its been repeatedly emphasized that he's gotten his fighting sense back but doesn't approach the situation with Goku's "PUNCH EVERYTHING!" attitude and is instead trying to be clever and careful about the situation, and since strategy has had so much emphasis so far in the tournament he seems to be the guy who's taking that the most seriously. The Piccolo training episode threw light on his past failings that he seems determined to overcome. He's been poo poo on and deprived of a good win for years at this point, he didn't even win against Lavender, but he's still a main character and now he has more to lose than ever before (Videl and Pan) and seems to be deliberately contrasted with Goku's irresponsible devil may care attitude. He also hasn't actually done anything particularly interesting so far and by the looks of things won't for a while yet so I think they're saving him to do something cool later.

Just my thought on why he ought to play the hero this time.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Manatee Cannon posted:

17 was also keeping pace with him in ssb, it doesn't mean anything. it's just their way of saying "hey no this guy isn't useless it's fine"

Didn't Toyotaro or someone specifically say that, when the tournament began, 17 was like the third strongest on the team?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Plutonis posted:

I'm catching up since the exhibition match and skipped some episodes, what's the reason why they picked 17 and not let's say, Cell instead?

Because its Cell.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I mean, seriously, they only picked Frieza because they were desperate and he's the third strongest mortal in the universe.

There's really no merit to picking Cell, even when you ignore the fact he's probably long purified by now.

You might as well ask why they didn't recruit Raditz or the Ginyu Force.

Guldo might have actually been pretty useful.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

lezard_valeth posted:

I hope this.

Instead of jumping off the edge, Goku somehow managed to sneak a senzu bean in and gives it to Jiren, getting disqualified and loving Gohan over again.

Hahaha, I could just imagine this. If Beerus had any sense he'd erase Goku for that poo poo.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I wonder how much of that game will involve Super stuff, they already have Frieza's golden form, would go balls out and give Trunks that Spirit sword attack he used on Zamasu?

Goku Black would also be a pretty cool character to play as.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
You know, with all this talk about reincarnation, I think I preferred the filler and GT depiction of hell as an ex villain support group. It was fun seeing Cell, Frieza and the Ginyu force mope around watching whatever Goku and the gang were up too with no way to affect things.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

-Fish- posted:

Reminder that Cell is never coming back because Toriyama and everybody involved in the art of the show hate doing his spots, and that matters more than any other reason for why we got Freeza instead of Cell.

A bit like the 'Fans forced Toriyama to make Goku the protagonist again instead of Gohan' thing from earlier, there are so many exaggerations, poorly translated interviews and straight up lies about this sort sort of thing floating around in the Dragonball fandom that I have to wonder if it's that straightforward.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

-Fish- posted:

I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons, but that one's probably the one that would be hardest to work around. I can't attest to the accuracy of the translation of the interviews and whatnot, but my wife and all her friends are art folks, and they'd loving riot if an employer tried to get them to consistently draw that mess over and over again.

I guess, but at the end of the day they had him around as the main villain for more than fifty episodes with regular cameos thereafter, second only to Frieza in that regard. I doubt that the art is really preventing them from bringing him back, if it came to it they could simplify his design a bit and I'm sure the fans would settle.

From what I can tell this all comes from an interview where Toriyama basically just said it was a bitch to draw all of those drat spots but he didn't go on to say that as a result he'll never show up again and that is the final word of god.

New transformation, Platinum Cell with oddly missing spots. Boom, now he can imitate Frieza with aplomb.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 17, 2017

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

-Fish- posted:

Fans have never settled for anything and we all know it.

It would be a new low if people were angrily contrasting the number of spots on Cell in Super to the amount he has in Z. That sounds like some dumb Hyperbole I'd make up to mock people on Reddit.

Its not like visually complex characters are beyond Dragonball's remit. Piccolo's been around forever and his arms and cloak must tedious as all hell to get right.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
By the rules of the Tournament, the team with the most fighters at the end of the 48 minutes wins right? Someone on Reddit had a good theory that this will be the way out for Universes 6, 7, 11 and (hopefully) 2, they all end up with one or two of people surviving until then, all even so no one universe specifically wins, and the Omni-kings decide it was such a good show they won't go into any kind of tie-breaker round and let them survive.

Probably means Gowasu, Robo-verse and rat universe will go the way of universe 9. Alas, some sacrifices must be made.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

a cartoon duck posted:

Look at this guy who wishes death on my man Gowasu.

I love the guy and will be sad that his vlogging career will be cut short but unfortunately his team are clearly a bunch of jobbers and they'll probably need to perma-kill at least one character established before the current arc to ratchet up the tension.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Squallege posted:

Xpost this to the su thread

I love the way in the first two Dragonball series everyone is always flipping each other off like they're angry 13 year olds.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
That poll is unacceptable, why are all of the androids and Cell mashed together but loving Uub has his own slot?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Manatee Cannon posted:

what power levels do is break scouters and make freeza's henchmen look like idiots

How many times have scouters broke trying to read power levels anyway? I remember Frieza's overloaded and blew up while grappling with Vegeta and then all of the henchmen on Sorbet's ship probably got really nasty shards of glass stuck in their eyes when Frieza was Resurrected.

• Locked thread