Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How loving sincere and enthusiastic Goku is about getting Gohan SSJ and how he KNOWS Gohan is gonna murder Cell dead is super endearing and almost excuses the bullshit he's going to pull later on.

Also yeah, FF7 had a rough start with more miss than hits, but it rapidly got better- once we got to the cross dressing segment, it was pretty much on a roll and only got better every episode. Its finale was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

So, they confirmed 100% that the arcosian in the tournament is Universe 6 Freeza. Toriyama must really like Freeza as a villain to have him come back twice.

Turns out this was all a long con to get him to be Goku's friend finally.

Buu already did, and 18 and 17 take Cell's place for Goku befriending villains of the arc. Freeza is the only one where no new allies were made. Thus finally Toyriama fixes his most egregious of mistakes!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kild posted:

Vegeta is his new ally in the Freiza saga.

Vegets is a carry over from the Sayian Saga that doesn't count.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

facebook jihad posted:

I personally would like it if TFS starts making 'Goku is a good dad' jokes from here on out to swerve fans and move away from the 'Goku is a bad dad' joke that has been done to death.

The episode was really good and a return to form for a series that has been slumping in the most recent episodes.

Except, even as sweet and endearing as this is

The reasons he's doing this are...misguided at best. Gohan is literally 10 years old. He's going to be 11 when he fights Cell.

That's a full year younger than Goku was before he even met Bulma, let alone had to take on the crazy poo poo he had to. And Goku was a very...different kind of kid compared to Gohan.

The fact that, in canon, Piccolo calls out Goku on being a total idiot as far as throwing him at Cell and expecting him to just magically act like a fighter when he's not, is why there are so many 'Goku is a terrible dad' jokes to begin with.

He loves his son, he truly does- but Goku does not think like a father should because he barely understands the concept.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

Is the animation in DBS really that bad? I heard the animation in OP has also gotten bad in recent years. I kind of didn't feel like watching a re-tread of the movies.

It's some how worse than the majority of the animation of the original DBZ. It shouldn't be, we should have progressed far beyond it, and yet

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I am amazed Digimon Tri is getting as much effort as it is.

Who would have thought back in the 90s that one day, Bandai would be giving the most amount of work to DIGIMON over Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Some Numbers posted:

It might actually be as simple as "this is a series so it gets X yen, this is a group of OVAs so it gets Z yen."

That's not even really what's going on with Tri though. Digimon Tri is basically just a 24 episode series broken up into the movies. Crunchyroll still shows them AS episodes, so they're not simply OVAs.

Which makes it hilarious and head scratching to me.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

I have this really weird feeling that the people behind Multiverse really dislike Beerus.

I have to imagine they take issue with him being 'behind' Freeza destroying planet Vegeta...except I'm pretty sure that was a relic of when Beerus was going t obe some boring generic bug bad guy virus thing that Toryiama put a stop to. It's still a bit eyeroll worthy, but easy to ignore.

Otherwise it's just kind of hilarious.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Webbeh posted:

This isn't true and you loving know it.

When Super gets bad, it's SO much worse than anything Z had. Z had general mistakes, off model nonsense, like Imperfect Cell suddenly getting SUPER buff no the gently caress of nowhere, some derpy stuff

Super, at its worst moments, just becomes armature hour.

It's worse because we should be beyond that.

We should not have to push out an inferior product and keep chanting WAIT FOR THE DVD RELEASE because they couldnt' take the time and effort to not make it look like total rear end.

Super when it's good is much better than Z- but its low points ARE lower, and that's something that should not happen.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

Is it really a "dub" when it's the original recording in language of origin?

Also; I am unaware of any "awful" Japanese language track on Super.

Technically it is a dub as no animation has natural sound.

Except, you know, the anguished cries of animators

But yeah it's semantic

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Super hasn't even completed one arc if you take out the movies, so it's a little early to judge which is has higher highs.

I'm talking about animation quality- Super is going to have higher highs just because it's a modern production and, unless they really gently caress up, they should be able to produce something much better animated than what was in Z.

Mind you my favorite bit of animation was in the first Final Form Freeza fight, where Vegets is blasting away and Freeza dodges all of them and then leads the blasts towards the others with a cocky smirk. It was so smoothly done and so beautiful, it's the best animation moment in the franchise for me.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm fine with her, I prefer the American versions, but she does a good job considering everything.

Her as Bardock was the worst possible idea though. Just the dumbest.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know for all the trouble I'll give Dragon Ball some times

The juxtaposition of Cell achieving Perfection and Gohan going SSJ for the first time is really brilliant.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Namtab posted:

Goku is a horrible monster who believes in his son and recognises that his son is better than him and just needs self confidence.

What a oval office.

"I shall have my pacifistic 12 year old child go punch a horrible immortal bug man without explaining to him that he has a lot of hidden power and instead just letting him be traumatized until it comes out."

No matter how you slice it, what Goku did was wrong. There's a reason why, in the actual loving canon of the show, Piccolo turns to Goku and calls him a goddamn moron- AND GOKU REALIZES HE IS WRONG

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure why you take issue with the fact that Goku is a flawed father.

Sure it's not to the level of the exaggerated jokes that he doesn't like or take interest in his son- that's true but it only applies to Goten- but Goku not understanding Gohan is a major plot point.

Hell didn't they have to retcon in the excuse that Goku saw a glimpse of SSJ2 when they were training to make Goku seem less like a dickhead for throwing Gohan to the wolves?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Twiddy posted:

I mean that isn't really a retcon (unless that wasn't in the manga, I don't actually remember). That's just what happened.

Let's not get overzealous in pointing out Goku's flaws.

I know it didn't happen in the actual training session. We saw it, in the anime at least, after Goku's already having Gohan fight Cell. I always assumed it was an anime only thing, though if it was in the manga fair point.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If they didn't do ANY of the movies and busted their rear end on releasing episodes, they might be able to finish the Cell saga in 2016, at least by the end of it...

But I worry it'd be rushed if they did. There's a lot of material ripe for the abridgin coming up, more than enough to get us to 60 as was mentioned above for the big finale. I don't think tearing through 9 episodes in a year would result in their best work, which is what is important. Plus we'd lose out on Movie Abridging, and the next one they have to do is either that stupid choose your own adventure one or WEN BROLY and I can't wait for either one of those.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Which also means we should be seeing that other bastard child movie this year too. I'm looking forward to it just because we get to have Slug, Turles and Cooler back.

I mean yeah Freeza too, but Freeza comes back more often than *INSERT DRAGON BALL JOKE HERE*

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

tsob posted:

Maybe I'm just really, really hopeful since Gohan is one of my favorite characters but that almost seems too convenient and more just a way of setting something up to have Gohan appear in a surprise twist later. No idea what kind of twist, perhaps one of the fighters gets injured and cannot participate or something and Whis brought Gohan there before hand or something. I want to believe. I know I'm being foolish and it's really just that Toriyama stopped caring about him a long time ago but gently caress it, I'm going to hold on to that little flicker of hope as long as I can :sigh:

The saddest thing is, at least as far as when DBZ was still running, Toriyama never did get sick of Gohan- he just bowed to the pressure of making Goku the uber hero of all time.

I really want something to happen later where some villain or something fucks up and hurts Videl or Pan or something, and Gohan just SNAPS and wrecks their poo poo without any stupid power ups.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Reinanigans posted:

Nope. As of Dragon Ball Minus, he was born in age 734, instead of 737, so he'd be about 15 when he meets Bulma (making her bathing him super weird since she was just a year older.)

Goku and Chichi get married on May 8, age 756. So 21-22 is actually more accurate for Goku's age at that point.

Gohan is born in 757, Raditz arrives in 761, making Gohan 4 and making Goku 26-27 at the start of Z.

My ages were off before, but this should clear up this very important matter.

Goku flat out says he's only 12 as of the first World Tournament so...nope.

Toriyama just hosed up with Dragon Ball Minus.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Baal posted:

He taught me that I could become one with another man with heavy breathing and complex movements

OR by just wearing the right matching fashion and pelvic thrusting, be fair

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WEN

WEN BROLY

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Relying on sloppy superpower seconds is a time-honored Dragonball tradition. Goku's iconic moves are all something someone else came up with.

The best part is that even the one move he SORTA made himself, the Super Kamehameha, which kind of got forgotten after Dragon Ball, was taught to him by Popo.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One interesting thing about Dragon Ball is that, with like ONE exception, their big finishing moves never actually finish anything. It's pretty much a running gag that the Spirit Bomb can't kill anything.

Buu is killed by a combo of stuff, Freeza is taken out ultimately by Trunks slice and dice and then a generic energy blast, and earlier got taken out by his own attacks and Goku's generic energy blast, and Vegeta went through a whole congo line of beat downs, needing to be utterly crushed by giant naked Gohan to be put out of the fight.

Cell is like the only guy who actually gets killed by a Kamehameha beam struggle.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

setafd posted:

how many years after the spirit bomb's first inclusion in the comic did it finally get a kill on buu

It didn't even kill Buu.

It made him reincarnate as a good person.

That's the exact opposite of death.

The Spirit Bomb is such a lovely power that it has literally negative one deaths

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Fine- it has absolutely Zero kills in canon.

Because it literally undoes the singular death it deals.

It's the most self defeating attack in history.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

the spirit bomb doesn't bring anyone back to life, what are you talking about

like I don't understand how you even came to this conclusion, but it's wrong

Buu

Uub

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea bulma is useful from the very beginning of dragon ball and stays so for pretty much the duration of the series, but she's not a fighter

18 was the first girl that can fight since, what, chichi's one fight in the third tournament? she's probably stronger than any of the non saiyans but piccolo and she still doesn't get to fight after beating the poo poo out of vegeta that one time. tho really I'd put that down more to "is not a saiyan" than "is a girl" since the power creep has always left everyone but goku, vegeta, and their kids in the dust

She's likely stronger than Piccolo at least as of the Buu Saga. Piccolo never really got any stronger and at his best he could barely go even against 17.

We know she's stronger than Goten and Trunks at that point as well, though that should be expected. I imagine they're not THAT powerful all considered, they just can go SSJ because of how many people they know that can do it. Gotenks is just a whole other thing because Fusions boost your power off the charts.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly forget- Gohan fighting Freeza in his final form, was that just Anime Filler or did that happen in the Manga.

Because if it wasn't just filler, yeah, Gohan could go toe to toe with goddamn Freeza, even if Freeza wasn't exactly taking it TOO seriously.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Raxivace posted:

I do think Toei deserves a bit more credit for some of their "filler" in the Dragon Ball franchise, beyond stuff like the driving episode of DBZ or whatever.

For example, Goku struggling to turn Super Saiyan for the first time? Probably the most iconic thing in the franchise? Most of that scene is technically "filler". In the manga it takes Goku about two panels to transform, and is kind of lame and anticlimactic as a result.

Here's the thing.

Filler is not inherently a bad thing.

Filler is anything that is not strictly needed for plot. There's a lot of filler even in work that isn't adapted from anything. Any time characters just do stuff that doesn't advance the plot in any meaningful way is filler- but that doesn't make it BAD.

Because filler can be anything from helping the pacing along, to character important stuff, to whatever. It doesn't have to be useless.

Good filler is stuff like the first transformation, which was increased in length because it helped make it more dramatic and important.

Bad filler is everyone reacting in shock at some one preparing to shoot an energy blast that they know won't stop the person being fired at.

Dragon Ball Z has a lot of filler.

Gohan VS Freeza, when he believes his dad is dead, is not bad filler. It fits the story fine, it makes sense for Gohan, and is a sign of things to come for him.

Gohan meeting Tao is similarly good filler because it helps explore Gohan's character some more and is just a fun adventure.

Cell going on about his backstory while charging the Kamehameha to wipe out the Earth is bad filler because it's pointless and doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know.

And ALL OF THE REACTION SHOTS are awful

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shindragon posted:

I tend to forget about that when TFS completely just cut all that. I really like how they edit the transformations.

Wonder if they will keep the 5 minute SSJ3 though

they'd better.

I have fond memories of that moment. I saw it for the first time when the episode first aired in the US, went and took a poo poo and came back and it was STILL GOING ON.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, for lack of a better place to talk Team Four Star Miscelleny, I decided to binge watch FF7 abridged while working from home today. It's...alright, got room to grow. I'm mostly struck by the fact that I can't decide how I feel about the fact that they're playing Tifa as a slut.

Uh

I don't think

They're playing Tifa as a slut.

Like she's a giganto bitch, but that's mostly due to parental issues like what Cloud laid out at the end of 10. And insecurity issues and what not.

Unless you have a very different definition for 'slut' than I do, Tifa has not been portrayed as some one who sleeps around. She was planning to beat the information out of the Don.

She uses her good looks to her advantage yes, but that's not the same as...anything you just implied.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Baal posted:

I mean the reason DBZ abridged works is because the characters are basically just more exaggerated versions of themselves, even down to the voices. That just sort of sounds like changing a character entirely for... Idk, it sounds kind of comically bereft I guess.

Actually it's really not.

You quit before the episodes really hit their stride, as the latter half of season 1 is fantastic compared to the first half, but the characters all fit the same DBZA mold.

If a character doesn't have issues but should, like Tifa, then they give her those issues. Tifa in the games was weirdly upbeat and happy despite all of the poo poo she'd seen- this one is reacting more naturally. She's ALSO still very supportive and cares a lot about her makeshift family like the real Tifa. It's just hidden under layers and layers of psychosis and mentally needing to be a giant bitch.

The rest all pretty well fall in line with this also. Cloud is pretty amazing when he gets on a role. RedXIII and Barret pretty much make the whole trip worth it.

Hojo is fantastic and brings up the really awful truth of the games- he's a creepy scientist who just really wants to watch animals gently caress people. Like that's literally part of the game.

Sephiroth is so far dead on.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Baal posted:

This sounds awful

It's literally what they're doing with Gohan.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Everything I've heard about FF7A is that it lacks the respect for the source material that DBZA has and that really works against it.

I highly doubt that given Taka is the main dude behind it and he loves the game.

Spiritus Nox posted:

See, she said "No, Cloud, I was going to gently caress him" or something like that in a tone that made it hard to tell how sarcastic she was being, particularly since she followed it up with something like "He'll say anything once his pants are down and my hands are around his -" and then the episode moved on pretty fast, and then later she's clearly open to the idea of being made to 'breed' with Cloud. Like I said, some of the jokes could be read as "Ha! Tifa likes sex/the idea of sex!"

She was being extremely sarcastic.

You do realize that she was threatning to crush his junk, not give him a handjob right?

Also, she's open to the idea of breeding with Cloud because

And get this

She really likes Cloud but can't express it in a healthy way because of her gigantic daddy issues and crippling self worth problems.

They literally show it in action when Cloud and her nearly have a moment but she reflexively ruins it out of nervous habit after they meet back up.

Being labeled a 'slut' implies VERY different, much worse, things than anything you're bringing up, and no where does anything they've done support it.

She might be sexually open, but that doesn't mean anything.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, this basically doesn't remotely resemble the original character in any way, which is exactly what I meant. It looks like they went with the joke "she wears a lovely outfit" instead of "this is the character's personality."

Like the "Gohan is very angry and has father issues" thing is an exaggeration but it naturally builds off an element of the character ("Gohan has anger issues" and "Gohan's dad is gone a lot") while Tifa is literally the pure childhood friend from the country town in contrast to Aerith's street-smart playful city girl. If you wanted to do that style of joke it would make more sense with Aerith who literally does those things in the game instead.

This below

Chickenfrogman posted:

Tifa in FF7 abridged rules. She's got solid dialogue and a really good VA, plus there's a pretty solid interpretation of the character that's still true to the original (and amusingly more true to the version of FF7 most people have in their heads from nostalgia then what the actual character was). Also, there hasn't been a single joke about Tifa being 'a slut'. There's been jokes about how she does want to hook up with Cloud, but can't express it. Which is from the original game, just amped up here.

Early FF7 abridged was pretty terrible, but the last few episodes have been quite solid and it's got a good foundation going into the second season.

Answers this just fine.

Tifa is A LOT like her game character. Everyone is really.

With one or two exceptions when it'd be hilarious.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Baal posted:

Ugh, fiiiiiine

Hope you enjoy the latter episodes!

Because seriously it's like season 1 of DBZA, only with a much better upswing in quality.

Like if season 1 of DBZA's second half was chunks of Season 2.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
SSJ3 was made specifically to mock transformations right?

Because it's just so goofy looking.

Mind you, by that point being a SSJ turned your hair into a pine cone, so you know.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly, for me, it was more like...

If you go back and look at Gohan when he first ascends, his hair looks A LOT like Goku's does when he first went SSJ.

It's like, he was a SSJ yeah, but he hadn't really let go of his rage and THAT was his real SSJ form. Gohan wasn't a real SSJ until 16 died, which is why his hair barely changed.

Then, yeah, 3 rolled up and made it just an RPG joke and opened the door to all of the future bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RickVoid posted:

I'm sure this has been posted before, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwJU5DKdM6s

Still better than Dragonball Evolution.

Why did they have to shove in the stupid Superman stuff

• Locked thread